A New Brushes with thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: A New Brushes with thread

Post by Pruitt »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:26 am
Shirley wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 10:20 am I went to Wash U with astronaut Bob Behnken who went up in the Space X rocket yesterday. He was an ME major and we graduated the same year. Didn't recognize his name, but when I saw his picture, I definitely remember him. He really doesn't look that different. I'm not sure we had any classes together, but we took classes in the same building for four years.
Ok, now that is cool.
It really is.

Astronauts are the coolest
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I may have posted it here, but running into Scott Kelly on our way up to Colorado last summer was awesome.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So if you saw the announcement about the new NWSL team in LA. The lady who is actually the lead of this is the wife of my good friend/college lax teammate.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So nothing like learning that one of your more distant relatives executive produced Last Dance by seeing the relatives you are closer with taking pictures in front of the Emmy's backdrop. I am sure I have been at weddings and bar/bat mitzvah's with her, but had no clue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estee_Portnoy
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Okay so many of you saw this Toyota ad

So just learned this morning that she is married to the head of my club's rec soccer program (and he coaches a younger travel team too). Have worked with her husband a little bit this year. My son is likely to have training with him tonight.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

On a zoom call with a vendor. One of the vendor folks on the phone has a daughter who is the number 1 ranked boardercross in the nation and Olympic hopeful.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

My daughter just signed up for her first basketball camp. It is run by a former nba player. He is also an actor.
[+] spoiler
George Muresan
I want a picture
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:18 pm My daughter just signed up for her first basketball camp. It is run by a former nba player. He is also an actor.
[+] spoiler
George Muresan
I want a picture
I can only assume that he has other teachers who can teach skills other than standing under the rim and raising one's arms.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:18 pm My daughter just signed up for her first basketball camp. It is run by a former nba player. He is also an actor.
[+] spoiler
George Muresan
I want a picture
Looks like his comedy career didn't take off.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Guy on the USTA team I'm captaining was on the 1984 UVA Final Four basketball team with Rick Carlisle and Olden Polynece.

Really good tennis player. Serves with both hands.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Jerloma wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:30 pm Guy on the USTA team I'm captaining was on the 1984 UVA Final Four basketball team with Rick Carlisle and Olden Polynece.

Wouldn't you serve better using just one hand?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:34 pm
Jerloma wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:30 pm Guy on the USTA team I'm captaining was on the 1984 UVA Final Four basketball team with Rick Carlisle and Olden Polynece.

Wouldn't you serve better using just one hand?
This was soooo close.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Guess they have to give the cripple a role on the team huh?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:26 pm
[+] spoiler
George Muresan
I want a picture
I can only assume that he has other teachers who can teach skills other than standing under the rim and raising one's arms.
He's got a pretty good comedy career going in and around Houston I hear.

EDIT: damn it work keeping me from Swamping.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

As probably the only Swamper who followed that team and went to a couple of their games ... who? (wild guess - Doug Newberg?)
Totally Kafkaesque
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Shirley wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:22 pm

As probably the only Swamper who followed that team and went to a couple of their games ... who? (wild guess - Doug Newberg?)
Tim Mullen
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:46 pm

Guess they have to give the cripple a role on the team huh?
Handicaptain
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Jerloma wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:20 pm

Tim Mullen
Oh shit, he was a good player. Isn’t he like 6’8” or something.
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Shirley wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:54 pm

Tim Mullen
guessing he is strong at the net
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Shirley wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:54 pm

Tim Mullen
Yeah, super tall and lanky.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Looked him up and he's 6'5". He was a three-year starter at UVA including two years with Ralph Sampson where UVA was #1 for large parts of each season. Then, they made the Final Four his junior year (when he came off the bench).
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Finishing getting their haircut just before me today? Adrian Gonzalez. (He now plays for Mariachis de Guadalajara who are doing spring training in Puerto Vallarta.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

He really was out, you know. The only close call Angel Hernandez got right in his career.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

Derrick Lewis (My balls was hot!) the MMA fighter was.at the show I hosted at House of Blues last night and came up after and told me I was funny. Surreal moment for me
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

[+] spoiler
George Muresan
I want a picture
My daughter just got back from first day of camp. Raving about how great a person Big George is. When I dropped her off he was getting stuff out of his car (did not look at that big)*. Then he walked in. Being that tall and playing basketball in general is not good for long term ability to walk. He looked like he was in constant back and knee pain.

He spent most of the day with my daughter's group of 3 girls. Super positive. My daughter is really just finding something to do this week. Does not love basketball but is loving this camp.

* Drives a not so new Toyota Sequoia (my daughter did ask what car someone that tall could drive).
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

His kid used to play MSI and I'd see him at the field every other weekend or so. Incredibly nice guy, at least from the "he's very approachable and seems to have a smile on his face 99 percent of the time" perspective.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So apparently Torri Huske's (Olympic Medalist Swimmer) coach is the head of aquatics at my pool and son of a coworker of mine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A friend of our yearly beach friends grew up on the other side of the town where I grew up and was only a year younger and went to the rival HS that kids over there went to and played basketball for that HS and when I named dropped the one kid I remembered who was my year and played basketball he knew him (as half of our “twin towers”) and that guy went to la salle and according to our resident explorer got booted for getting in trouble while at school.

Was a weird moment.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

This guy

Though if that page is accurate it doesn’t really jive with what I thought you told me when I asked about him once. Or maybe I just assumed that if he got in trouble he was off the team and that wasn’t the case. That’s a lot of games.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

One of the starters at the golf course I work at was an on-air meteorologist with The Weather Channel from 1982 to 2000 (Bruce Edwards). Nice guy.

https://wkycdirectorscut.blogspot.com/2 ... -year.html
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ahhh years later I can’t be sure who the guy was who was rumored to be quietly moved off campus (not dismissed because we were still a semi-serious program then) for some petty theft but it was someone who was there before I started so maybe?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

mister d wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:34 pm Ahhh years later I can’t be sure who the guy was who was rumored to be quietly moved off campus (not dismissed because we were still a semi-serious program then) for some petty theft but it was someone who was there before I started so maybe?
Was his initials TM and did he transfer to play for Fang Mitchell at Coppin State??
oh shit...
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Been informed that Lauryn Hill’s daughter plays for a travel soccer team in our town. So she’ll cross the border but mister d won’t.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Doing this cool thing for the Laver Cup where I drive big time tennis people around Boston in a Mercedes. Picked up Felix Auger Allisime and his absolute goddess girlfriend at Logan yesterday and took them to the Ritz. They were only speaking French to each other. Probably trying to cuck me. Also took Isner and his security guy (yes) to the park to see some duckling display based on a famous children's book and then across the street to Cheers. His security guy informs me he hates this shit. Ran into Kyrgios and Tsitsipas outside the Ritz too.

My girlfriend had Rod Laver in her car.

Should have a lot more Friday and Saturday. Get to go in the garden and watch the matches while we wait for our player to be done too. They like us a lot so they're going to try to get us McEnroe and Borg.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

That's pretty sweet. Especially for a tennis guy!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:22 pm

Dude, I think you buried the lede here!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:22 pm
Jerloma wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:22 pm

Dude, I think you buried the lede here!
That I have a girlfriend or that she fucked Rod Laver?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Ms Hill is at the game prior to my daughter’s game. I almost beeped at her while parking because she was taking up too much space.

She was sitting in a huge black Caddy SUV wearing a mask, but got out when her daughter was on the wrong end of a hard foul and limped off the field. The kid seems ok…
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

She just scored.