Swamp Travel Guide: Florida Sun Coast

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Swamp Travel Guide: Florida Sun Coast

Post by GoodKarma »

Wife and I are flying to Tampa tonight for the weekend to go see my Dad in New Port Richey. Does anyone have any familiarity with the area and have any suggestions for things to do for two forty-somethings and two 70ish people...one of whom can't walk very much? We're not beach people so I'm thinking things like museums, attractions, etc. between the areas of Crystal River and Clearwater.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: Swamp Travel Guide: Florida Sun Coast

Post by govmentchedda »

I don't know much about what's up in Crystal River, and parts much north of Tampa on the coast. There are probably small little spots with good Gulf seafood, but I don't know of them. Tarpon Springs is a community filled with Greek people and their cuisine, and supposedly has a charming downtown area. I've barely been up that way though.

If you're looking for museums, downtown St. Pete is your best bet. The Dali museum is kind of the biggest, but there are tons of other smaller ones as well. St. Pete really is the artier side of the bay. The museums around here are nice, but I don't think there's much that would bring anyone here from out of town. That being said, there's supposed to be a cool new exhibit at the Tampa museum of Art. If you like microbreweries, there are a ton of options.

I'm not a huge fan of Clearwater (the city or the beach), but just north of there is Dunedin, and there are quaint shops, etc. and a lot of good breweries within a short walk.

If you make your way to Tampa, the Riverwalk area has become quite nice. There's a food hall on the north end called Armature Works that has a ton of really good options. You can also rent a bike and go up and down the riverwalk, stopping at a bunch of places along the way (one of which is the Tampa Museum of Art, mentioned above). Near the convention center, you can rent an e-boat (basically a golf cart on the water) by the hour and tour the river and bay.

Your non-walker caveat is kind of throwing me for a loop, wrt things to suggest. If you want good food or drink options, I can give you a bunch in both Tampa and St. Pete.

The weather is supposed to be nice this weekend (for the first time in more than 6 months), I hope you enjoy it.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Clearwater is like Mecca for Scientology, so you could try to deprogram a bunch of cult members.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Thanks for the suggestions. The Riverwalk/food hall might be a good option if we get into Tampa. Unfortunately, my Dad & his wife don't really like going out & doing things although they are acting like they want to on this trip. We were already planning on Dunedin & my Dad wants me to go to some breweries (which I already have bookmarked) so hopefully that will be enough to keep everyone occupied & happy.
What am I, 12?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

GoodKarma wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:16 am Thanks for the suggestions. The Riverwalk/food hall might be a good option if we get into Tampa. Unfortunately, my Dad & his wife don't really like going out & doing things although they are acting like they want to on this trip. We were already planning on Dunedin & my Dad wants me to go to some breweries (which I already have bookmarked) so hopefully that will be enough to keep everyone occupied & happy.
Dunedin Brewing and Saint Somewhere are both in or near Dunedin, and have been around way before the recent craft beer boom. You'll get tasty beers at both spots. You can also walk to 5 or more microbreweries from Dunedin Brewing.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Crossing threads from my spring break last year
http://www.sportsfrog.net/phpbb/viewtop ... pa#p190495

I randomly stopped at the Dunedin Brewery with the family. Great beer and weird drum circle band performing. Really neat little town. If you can get to the Dali museum....DO IT. I am broken by living in DC for paying of museums, but the Dali is worth every penny. There are also some cool shops/art /restaurants a short walk (past the Rowdies stadium).
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:01 pm Crossing threads from my spring break last year
http://www.sportsfrog.net/phpbb/viewtop ... pa#p190495

I randomly stopped at the Dunedin Brewery with the family. Great beer and weird drum circle band performing. Really neat little town. If you can get to the Dali museum....DO IT. I am broken by living in DC for paying of museums, but the Dali is worth every penny. There are also some cool shops/art /restaurants a short walk (past the Rowdies stadium).
Thanks for the tip on the Dali museum...I'll mark that down even if I go by myself next time I'm there.
What am I, 12?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I plan on living out the rest of my days in Dunedin. Definitely do not pass it up.
Noli Timere Messorem