2018-19 NBA Regular Season Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: 2018-19 NBA Regular Season Thread

Post by Johnnie »

He's not even wrong.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Sometimes, there is good content on Twitter.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Man, I should've realized who that was. I'm dumb.

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

It was amazingly predictable.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:42 pm He's not even wrong.

It's a business. There is no loyalty. And if loyalty is a major factor in wanting to play somewhere, what does this comment say about his son? Where is AD's loyalty to NO? To his teammates? Complete bullshit. Just another move by Rich Paul to dissuade anyone besides the Lakers to attempt to trade for the big man.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

duff wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:35 am

It's a business. There is no loyalty. And if loyalty is a major factor in wanting to play somewhere, what does this comment say about his son? Where is AD's loyalty to NO? To his teammates? Complete bullshit. Just another move by Rich Paul to dissuade anyone besides the Lakers to attempt to trade for the big man.
Completely fair assessment. And the thing is, moving IT was the right move and would've been done by any GM in that situation. It was just a cold move.

Honestly, if an owner of a team being derogatory towards black people was grounds for Adam Silver to step in and force him out as owner, then he should be in a position to pull Klutch/LeBron/Player's Association into a meeting and say "Enough is enough. This is bullshit." Especially since this has a major impact on everything player related.

There's so much nuance and overlapping issues. On the one hand you want maximum player mobility and leverage. On the other, when you indirectly imply that only like 3/4 teams a year are worthy of winning titles you call out the league. In a better league the GMs would spend money better, draft better, and run the team better. But years and years of only championships mattering AND having a league that has gone nuts in player revenue creates an ultimately untenable situation. Silver needs to stop it.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

What if the All-Star game was just one player from each team with a significant bonus?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

I agree that this smells of a Rich Paul/LeBron power play. I think LeBron and Rich Paul significantly underestimated how hard it would be to build a contender in LA. The West is stacked 1-10 this year and none of the Lakers' young guys are even close to All-Star caliber. (Ironically, the only young guy the Lakers drafted who is on that level is D'Angelo Russell, who they gave away to the Nets in a salary dump.) Its gotta sting that they held onto all those depreciating trade assets, only to now see Paul George playing at an MVP level in OKC and Kawhi Leonard leading the Eastern Conference in scoring.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:05 am
duff wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:35 am

Completely fair assessment. And the thing is, moving IT was the right move and would've been done by any GM in that situation. It was just a cold move.

Honestly, if an owner of a team being derogatory towards black people was grounds for Adam Silver to step in and force him out as owner, then he should be in a position to pull Klutch/LeBron/Player's Association into a meeting and say "Enough is enough. This is bullshit." Especially since this has a major impact on everything player related.

There's so much nuance and overlapping issues. On the one hand you want maximum player mobility and leverage. On the other, when you indirectly imply that only like 3/4 teams a year are worthy of winning titles you call out the league. In a better league the GMs would spend money better, draft better, and run the team better. But years and years of only championships mattering AND having a league that has gone nuts in player revenue creates an ultimately untenable situation. Silver needs to stop it.
I've said this before but I really think this is all a side effect of the nuclear scenario that occurred when Durant joined a 73 win team. Although the NBA has always been top-heavy, before the 2016-17 season there'd typically be at least 3 or 4 clear title contenders, with other teams that could perhaps catch lightning in a bottle. In 2015-16, there were at least four legit title contenders: the Cavs, Warriors, Thunder and Spurs. But ever since Durant joined the Warriors, there's only been one other team with a shot to win, which was the 2017-18 Rockets. No one else besides the Warriors had a prayer in 2016-17 and I don't think anyone else has a prayer this year (I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it). That's put players like Davis in a tough spot, as they're getting impatient about how they spend their primes. The thing is that the Pelicans aren't even that bad. They've had injury issues this year but were probably a top-6 team in the league by the end of last year. But in the post-2017 NBA, being a top-6 team still gave the Pelicans no conceivable path to title contention.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Sixers going all-in and I like it. They now have the second most talented starting 5 in the NBA and are apparently willing to go into the luxury tax to keep Embiid/ Simmons/ Butler/ Harris together long-term. At worst, they just got insurance against the Butler to NYC rumors.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Give me all the Boban v. Giannis at the rim meetings
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

If the Pelicans stay patient on Davis—and they should—there’s no way Luke Walton survives the All-Star break.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Joe K wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:16 am Sixers going all-in and I like it. They now have the second most talented starting 5 in the NBA and are apparently willing to go into the luxury tax to keep Embiid/ Simmons/ Butler/ Harris together long-term. At worst, they just got insurance against the Butler to NYC rumors.
Butler is going to be a horrible max deal, right?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

mister d wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:23 pm
Joe K wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:16 am Sixers going all-in and I like it. They now have the second most talented starting 5 in the NBA and are apparently willing to go into the luxury tax to keep Embiid/ Simmons/ Butler/ Harris together long-term. At worst, they just got insurance against the Butler to NYC rumors.
Butler is going to be a horrible max deal, right?
Probably depends on the length of the deal. There’s so much smoke that Durant is leaving the Warriors this offseason that teams like the Sixers should be shifting into “win now” mode for the 2019-20 season and beyond. If you can win a title in the next 2-3 years, who cares if you overpaid Jimmy Butler? That’s also why it was 100% worth it for the Cavs to overpay Tristan Thompson and JR Smith before 2016.
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

My current understanding of the "Process": reduce the integrity of the League by trying to lose a minimum of three years for the sole purpose of acquiring enough assets to make questionable trades and signings so your ceiling is third in the Conference. The Eastern Conference. Have I got that right?
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Rams Fanny wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:41 pm My current understanding of the "Process": reduce the integrity of the League by trying to lose a minimum of three years for the sole purpose of acquiring enough assets to make questionable trades and signings so your ceiling is third in the Conference. The Eastern Conference. Have I got that right?
Which two teams in the East are they incapable of beating in a series? Not just this year but in years to come?
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

Joe K wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:48 pm
Rams Fanny wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:41 pm My current understanding of the "Process": reduce the integrity of the League by trying to lose a minimum of three years for the sole purpose of acquiring enough assets to make questionable trades and signings so your ceiling is third in the Conference. The Eastern Conference. Have I got that right?
Which two teams in the East are they incapable of beating in a series? Not just this year but in years to come?
Incapable is too strong. At this point I don't think they finish regular season higher than third. As far as this year's playoffs go, Toronto and Milwaukee look better (this is on paper, not counting Toronto's repeated failure in postseason) and a healthy angry Boston probably beats them as well. Going forward, this is the roster Philly is rolling with whereas NY and Boston will certainly get better in the offseason and given the winning Mil(more so) and Tor will likely be able to add pieces. Ind is hanging tough without a major piece.
Embid's back has to be a concern and Butler seems a diva who may shoot his way out of town (again). While an above average player, I really don't see Harris as the piece that flips the standings.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Boston is not certain to get better this offseason. Between the Kyrie rumors and the clear signals from Anthony Davis that he does not want to go there, they could get worse. Kawhi could also leave Toronto. We know for a fact that the Clippers have been courting him this entire season. Milwaukee has played the best of any team in the East this year and is well positioned going forward but the Sixers have more high-end talent now. Harris is a really good player and gives them a much needed infusion of outside shooting. There’s only 2 players in the NBA who have attempted as many 3s as him and shot a better percentage: Steph Curry and Buddy Hield.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:50 pm Ugly Injury for John Wall
So what do we think the real story with that injury is?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:07 am
I don;t know, but isn't it weird that even though he got an infection from the first surgery, he is heading back to the same doctor for this surgery?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:00 am
DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:07 am
I don;t know, but isn't it weird that even though he got an infection from the first surgery, he is heading back to the same doctor for this surgery?
I wouldn't necessarily change surgeons based on that. Am i alone here? Lot of moving parts in an operating/recovery room.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

NBA trades are so fun but I have no idea how the values work out since most of what I know about these guys is from college. Like I loved Otto Porter but I don’t know if this is a shrew trade or a terrible absorbing of money.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

mister d wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:32 am NBA trades are so fun but I have no idea how the values work out since most of what I know about these guys is from college. Like I loved Otto Porter but I don’t know if this is a shrew trade or a terrible absorbing of money.
Otto Porter is having a down year but he’s a very good player. He’s definitely overpaid a bit but it’s also not like the Bulls are going to be a free agent destination this offseason. So absorbing his salary might be a good way for them to try to add more experienced (but still < 30) talent. NBA contracts are so short compared to MLB and NHL that overpaying Porter during a time their recent draft picks are on rookie deals isn’t the worst thing.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Joe K wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:56 am
mister d wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:32 am NBA trades are so fun but I have no idea how the values work out since most of what I know about these guys is from college. Like I loved Otto Porter but I don’t know if this is a shrew trade or a terrible absorbing of money.
Otto Porter is having a down year but he’s a very good player. He’s definitely overpaid a bit but it’s also not like the Bulls are going to be a free agent destination this offseason. So absorbing his salary might be a good way for them to try to add more experienced (but still < 30) talent. NBA contracts are so short compared to MLB and NHL that overpaying Porter during a time their recent draft picks are on rookie deals isn’t the worst thing.
and Washington Fans will always have the memories of his solid play
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Marc Stein has tweeted out that Davis won't sign a long-term deal with Boston if traded there, intends to become a free agent in 2020, and his destinations of choice are LAL, NYK, LAC and MIL.

Yeah, the possibility of him and Giannis on the same team is fun.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Marc Gasol A Raptor

I like this move - interested to hear what others think though.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Good for both sides. Toronto is a problem.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Markelle Fultz to the Magic. Who knows if he’ll ever get his shot back but it’s probably for the best that he try on a lottery team.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Joe K wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:47 pm Markelle Fultz to the Magic. Who knows if he’ll ever get his shot back but it’s probably for the best that he try on a lottery team.
With about zero media coverage.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Jayson Tatum and a 1st for what could be three 2nds. Yikes.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Now that the trade deadline is passed and the Lakers didn’t really change their prospects for this year, does lebron just go through the motions through ASG and shut it down?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Damn Lebron killed Giannis in that draft.

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

And a schorching hot take: Carmelo will definitely be on the Lakers before long, right?
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

The East playoffs are going to be really good this year. The Bucks are probably the favorite as they have the best player, a great coach and likely will get the #1 seed. But there’s now 4 teams that are probably better than any team in the Conference was last season. It could’ve been 5 too, had Oladipo not gotten hurt.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Open question for you NBA guys.

Lebron is 34 years old. For how many more seasons do you think he can legitimately be thought to be one of the 3 or 4 best players in the NBA?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

mister d wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:26 pm Jayson Tatum and a 1st for what could be three 2nds. Yikes.
Getting two draft picks plus J. Simmons for Fultz is probably a good deal at this point. There are rumors out there that he fucked up his shoulder and suffered nerve damage by getting in a motorcycle crash during the offseason before his rookie year. (Thoracic outlet syndrome occurs with baseball pitchers but is otherwise very rare as a sports injury.) If that’s the case, he may never be able to shoot again.

Either way, it’s hard to say it was a clearly bad trade at the time, considering that virtually everyone had Fultz as the top prospect in the draft. Tatum is good but he’s also a bit overrated because there are so many Celtics fans among the sports media. Tatum is only average in terms of scoring efficiency and he averages less than 2 assists per game. He’s at best the fourth best player from his draft class (Mitchell, Fox and John Collins are all better.)