Paul Allen

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Paul Allen

Post by brian »

Yep.

All the money and genius in the world isn't going to stop us all from one day joining the 45 billion humans who have already died.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Re: Paul Allen

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Allen has never married, but he has certainly had girlfriends. Although he was once romantically linked with Jerry Hall, who joined him on his yacht in the south of France shortly after her break-up from Mick Jagger in 1999, the dalliance — if there was one — was short-lived.

He also once dated tennis star Monica Seles.

The maudlin songs he wrote with titles such as Rhythm Of Hearts and Kingdom Of The Lonely for his rock band, Grown Men, are believed to have been his way of coping with the break-up many years ago.

Non-famous girlfriends report being treated rather less sensitively, several saying he unceremoniously dumped them without explanation and further contact.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I had read a few weeks ago that his cancer had returned. There had been talk around the Institute before I left about how to make it sustainable once he was out of the picture. I wonder if they knew this was coming. It will be interesting to see how this effects things over there.

He certainly put his money into worth causes...The Brain Institute, the Cell Institute, the MOPOP museum (designed by Frank Gehry), keeping the Seahawks in town, the Trailblazers, all the work that's gone on finding naval wrecks from WWII. And he pretty much saved KEXP, on more then one occasion.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Comedian Ian Karmel (of the All Fantasy Everything podcast) has a nice write up about Paul Allen and the Blazers on the Ringer.

A Bridge in Portland
I’m a Trail Blazers fan, and for all but four years of my life, Paul Allen owned my favorite team. I met him once, though only by the loosest definition of the word “met.” After a game, he walked by in an expensive sweater that didn’t look expensive, and I choked out the words “thanks for owning the Blazers” — which is a deeply silly thing to say to someone, like telling Jon Hamm “thanks for having a big penis.”