2018 Midterm Elections

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: 2018 Midterm Elections

Post by mister d »

Opened this to see if walker was mentioned. Fuck him.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Square Rob wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:40 am Ok, I feel better this morning. Disappointed with Florida, but not really surprised. Though I guess the sen race will be contested and a recount. Holding out hope that Abrams still has a shot for a runoff in GA. That would give a focused Dem effort on turnout and making sure people know their rights more support and might push her over the top. Kobach losing is fantastic. No surprises in MO or ND. Beto was CLOSE, and that’s encouraging as Texas is just getting bluer. Almost knocked off that nazi in Iowa, and it looks like the Russian spy in CA is out.

Looking back from 18 months ago, this is as good as anyone predicted. Knew the senate was nearly impossible given the map. To pick up the governorships that we did is fantastic (Scott Walker lol). Now it’s time to work.
This sums up my feelings pretty well. The Dems ended up doing great, except for Florida. Holding the red-state senate seats was just too much to ask.

I think the Dem margin for the popular vote is around 8, but California always has millions of ballots left to be counted, so we won't know for a couple of days.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:14 am It's gonna take a while to be optimistic for those of us living in Florida.
I actually thought it would go well here. Should have known better. Oddly, my location (a Baptist church with hordes of retirees pulling up in Lexuses) had perfectly functional voting machines. Go figure!
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I just don't see how so many people can go for Ted Cruz at this point, either. Even accounting for it being Texas.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:42 am It would be nice for Tester to make the comeback.

And that reporter assaulting Montana fuck lost
. He can fuck off to hell too.
I'm seeing him up 7+ points. What am I missing?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:28 am
tennbengal wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:42 am It would be nice for Tester to make the comeback.

I misread a tweet, now I am sad again.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:46 am

Waiting on bated breath to hear about the results in Utah. Medical marijuana and Medicaid expansion look very likely to pass. (Which makes me think that if the Dems were not pro-choice, they would probably win a lot of places like Utah.) A measure calling for a non-partisan redistricting commission is closely in the lead, as is Ben McAdams over Mia Love.

The Dem candidate we stumped for lost by twenty points. So at least there's that. (She did, at least, do significantly better than the Dem in this district in 2016. I take full credit.)

Mitt Romney won solidly - but probably not as solidly as Mike Lee did in 2016.

It looks like the Dems will take about 35 percent or more of the statewide vote for the Congressional elections. I hope they get one seat out of the four.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:34 am
tennbengal wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:46 am

Waiting on bated breath to hear about the results in Utah. Medical marijuana and Medicaid expansion look very likely to pass. (Which makes me think that if the Dems were not pro-choice, they would probably win a lot of places like Utah.)
I see a lot of anti-abortion ads in Missouri but then again you also see used car dealership ads talking about how they stand for the anthem and support the TROOPS and the police. There are some true single issue voters with abortion but I think support for the GOP is a broader cultural phenomenon. Any gains Dems made by being anti-abortion would also also be offset significantly from lost support from young women.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I want to move to Colorado. It's pretty. I like Mountain Time. And it's getting liberal.

(I don't give a shit about marijuana)
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:50 am I want to move to Colorado. It's pretty. I like Mountain Time. And it's getting liberal.

Same, except I give a shit about weed.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I've decided today's feeling is "underwhelming 3 seed hangs on to advance against 14 seed".
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Just trying to process all of this and think about where things are going.

It's going to be another long 2 years, but at a minimum there's a sizable block on GOP bullshit legislation.

I'm really curious how the Dems proceed with investigating Trump and the administration. There are literally dozens of things they could go after on his cabinet folks alone. This notion that holding hearings and going after Trump is going to be seen as obstructionist is laughable. Shit never touched the GOP after all the Benghazi bullshit.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:17 am I've decided today's feeling is "underwhelming 3 seed hangs on to advance against 14 seed".
Brilliant.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Not irony
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:17 am I've decided today's feeling is "underwhelming 3 seed hangs on to advance against 14 seed".
It should be 8-point underdog (thanks to gerrymandering and voter suppression) wins comfortably by 9. And then ensures it won't be as big of an underdog in future games because of that performance (in getting a seat at the table with redistricting thanks to state results and some ballot initiatives in places like Michigan and Missouri).
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:21 am Just trying to process all of this and think about where things are going.

It's going to be another long 2 years, but at a minimum there's a sizable block on GOP bullshit legislation.

I'm really curious how the Dems proceed with investigating Trump and the administration. There are literally dozens of things they could go after on his cabinet folks alone. This notion that holding hearings and going after Trump is going to be seen as obstructionist is laughable. Shit never touched the GOP after all the Benghazi bullshit.
That's the trap I think they can't fall into. They have to be focused and bring the real heat, not get caught with every distraction. If I were the Dem leadership I'd honestly just let Mueller handle all of the Russia stuff at this point and hammer Trump on his taxes and violating the emoluments clause in the Constitution.

(With the caveat that the Mueller probe will also probably spark some kind of major hearing we can't expect yet. But at least now if that does happen, Congress can issue subpoenas and let Trump hang in the square of public opinion.)
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Sabo wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:12 am
Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:50 am I want to move to Colorado. It's pretty. I like Mountain Time. And it's getting liberal.

Same, except I give a shit about weed.
My wife submitted her 6 references to UC Health and they've confirmed receipt. Should have a decision next week.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Adam Schiff had a great list of the investigations he was ready to launch (I can't locate the article now where he laid it out), but, if he does what he says he is going to do, he has my full support. Same with Elijah Cummings - and bonus there is I can call his office (or drop by as it is on my way home) and push him to go after it 100% since he is my congressman.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I think the other thing some people are forgetting is that this kind of a performance by the Dems in a midterm with the economy as good as it is (understanding it's not working as well for all Americans as it could, but still) is virtually unprecedented.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Oh, and then there's Alabama. Voted overwhelmingly for the 10 commandments to be displayed in public schools and for "recognizing and supporting the sanctity of unborn life and the rights of unborn children." That along with all the GOP members elected. What a waste of a state that place is.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Gunpowder wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:26 am
govmentchedda wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:14 am It's gonna take a while to be optimistic for those of us living in Florida.
I actually thought it would go well here. Should have known better. Oddly, my location (a Baptist church with hordes of retirees pulling up in Lexuses) had perfectly functional voting machines. Go figure!
I did too, and I really can't fathom still that this wasn't rigged somehow. I don't want to be a conspiracy theorist, and/or be stuck in my own ideological bubble, but damn Florida!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:42 am Oh, and then there's Alabama. Voted overwhelmingly for the 10 commandments to be displayed in public schools and for "recognizing and supporting the sanctity of unborn life and the rights of unborn children." That along with all the GOP members elected. What a waste of a state that place is.
They can vote on that shit all they want, but that one's going to end up in the Supreme Court and it's going to be hard for the court's strict Constitutionalists to justify a thumbs up for that crap. The First Amendment is pretty clear on not favoring one religion over another in public institutions. (To be fair, as clear as the 14th is in allowing for birthright citizenship but who knows how those nutjobs are gonna go on this stuff?)
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Turnout was 47%

Considering all the talk and passion and anger, that is really pretty discouraging.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

It's still light years better than anything else in the last 50 years. This is a very big and old ship we're turning here.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

If the dems give even an inch to McConnell's attempting to work the refs, fuck them. Investigate every fucking thing. Grind it all to a halt. Resist, motherfuckers.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

McConnell: "Actually, the Senate has veto power over the House."

Pelosi: "We look forward to working with Senate Majority Leader McConnell and all Republicans to resolve the question of relative House power in a bipartisan and respectful manner."
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Happy with all the Dem wins in Colorado yesterday. But a little bummed some of the other ballot issues (raising taxes with the money going to schools, especially) failed. I guess I will take what we can get here.

It's great the Dems took the House, I hope they actually do something with their majority instead of trying to negotiate everything.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Negotiation in and of itself isn't bad. If they want to work with Trump on infrastructure or even a real middle-class tax cut, then that's fine.

I think Pelosi is smart and shrewd enough to not negotiate away anything critical. Whatever you think of her, she's no Chuck Schumer.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

She literally used the term “the bipartisan marketplace of ideas”. You don't let a group spend 2 years in nonstop bad faith then team up.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:52 am She literally used the term “the bipartisan marketplace of ideas”. You don't let a group spend 2 years in nonstop bad faith then team up.
Oh my God! You mean a politician might have said something she really didn't mean at a time where it's advantageous to appear bi-partisan! The horror!
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

phxgators wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:35 am Happy with all the Dem wins in Colorado yesterday. But a little bummed some of the other ballot issues (raising taxes with the money going to schools, especially) failed. I guess I will take what we can get here.
I feel the same way. The entire executive branch and Dem majority in both houses for the first time since 1936 yet the important ballot measures all followed a conservative line of voting. I'm not surprised 112 failed but I thought 110 (as much as I didn't want the sales tax increase) and the school one would pass.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

All bullshit and sarcasm aside, I think the majority of the Democratic leadership (outside of Schumer and some outliers) are finally figuring out how to play Trump. They were very focused on their messaging in the midterms and lo and behold it worked.

Short of something really, really, really major in the Mueller report, impeachment is off the table (as it probably should be at this point with an election coming up in two years) and no legislation that is really going to permanently cripple Obamacare is going to pass. Anything really sinister that the Republicans want to do other than confirming judges is off the table. They're focusing on ideas that were outside of the mainstream as recently as a couple of years ago, but really popular now like a $15 minimum wage. The House needs to pass a bill for a $15 minimum wage (one that eventually scales up to $15 over a few years) and let it go to be beaten in the Senate as well as similar legislation that Americans support by huge numbers to show that it's the Republicans in the House and Senate holding back common-sense reforms that have broad support (like common-sense gun control legislation like banning bump stocks, etc.)

Beat Trump up a little with the kinds of investigations that Americans also broadly support, plays some rope a dope with him on stuff that breaks both ways like immigration and try to convince the national Democratic party not to throw support behind any fossils and let the nomination process play itself out fairly.

Those should all be more or less no-brainers that they can't/won't screw up.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

brian wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:53 amOh my God! You mean a politician might have said something she really didn't mean at a time where it's advantageous to appear bi-partisan! The horror!
I think we probably differ, greatly, on whether she meant/desired it.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:09 pm
brian wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:53 amOh my God! You mean a politician might have said something she really didn't mean at a time where it's advantageous to appear bi-partisan! The horror!
I think we probably differ, greatly, on whether she meant/desired it.
I think Pelosi is much more Machiavellian than you give her credit for, yes. But Schumer -- we agree he's an idiot.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

brian wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:53 am
mister d wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:52 am She literally used the term “the bipartisan marketplace of ideas”. You don't let a group spend 2 years in nonstop bad faith then team up.
Oh my God! You mean a politician might have said something she really didn't mean at a time where it's advantageous to appear bi-partisan! The horror!
Brian- why is it advantageous to appear bi-partisan?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:34 pm
brian wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:53 am
Brian- why is it advantageous to appear bi-partisan?
Because there's no downside in it. If you went out and polled the electorate on if they think that the Republicans and Democrats need to work together it would probably poll at something like -- what, 70 percent? Maybe 75 percent? And that's down from what it would probably have been 10 years ago when it would have been like 80 or 85 percent. It's the kind of thing people say even if they don't really mean it.

What's Pelosi supposed to say in that situation? Jump up and down like Ric Flair and say she's going to rip Trump's throat out?

So the words don't have to be followed by deeds (or more accurately, let the Republicans fuck up when it does come time to work on something in a bi-partisan manner). The GOP is so far off the reservation, Pelosi can afford to call their bluff when it comes to working together and then turn around and point that out to the electorate.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Front Range from Ft Collins to South Denver is liberal. The rest of the state really isn't.

Weld county (east of Ft Collins) wanted to vote to leave the state because of the damn city libruuls.

The rural part is where it's affordable to live. The liberal part has become unaffordable for many many people.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Republicans never ever ever mouth any bi-partisan platitudes. Only the democrats are forced to/want to mouth that shit. No reason to even pretend. This is a knife fight. The audience isn’t fucking david brooks, it is the profoundly angry and activated democratic base who genuinely could give a shit about bi-partasain concerns.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:47 pm Republicans never ever ever mouth any bi-partisan platitudes. Only the democrats are forced to/want to mouth that shit. No reason to even pretend. This is a knife fight. The audience isn’t fucking david brooks, it is the profoundly angry and activated democratic base who genuinely could give a shit about bi-partasain concerns.
So what are those people going to do? Vote Republican? Stay home?

If they're gonna do either of those, then they need to STFU and leave the job of actually trying to win elections to the adults. There's value in not tipping your hand to your enemy even if it is a knife fight. Read some Sun Tzu.