2018-19 MLB Offseason Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: 2018-19 MLB Offseason Thread

Post by A_B »

Clemens above 75 percent in latest HoF tracker. Bonds just under.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Bold emphasis mine.
The Athletic wrote: The San Francisco Chronicle reported that the A’s are prepared for Kyler Murray to enter the NFL Draft with the Jan. 14 deadline looming for a decision from the Oklahoma underclassman.

But putting his name in the draft doesn’t mean Murray will forfeit his baseball career just yet, according to the report. Boras has indicated on numerous occasions that Murray will be at spring training when position players report on Feb. 15. But he could possibly only attend big-league camp for a number of days. The NFL combine begins Feb. 26 in Indianapolis and the Chronicle report indicated that’s when Murray must make a decision between football and baseball. And it sounds like he’s leaning toward football.

If Murray, 21, does indeed choose the NFL, he would have to return his $4.66 million signing bonus from the A’s, but the A’s wouldn’t receive a compensation pick in next year’s draft.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:43 pm Clemens above 75 percent in latest HoF tracker. Bonds just under.
Wonder what the rationale could be for voting one as opposed to the other. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

(And they were BOTH assholes to the media, so don't give me that excuse.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Clemens has been doing a lot of image boosting in Boston with the Jimmy Fund, which the media loves. Your thing too
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Third Yankee from the 90s brought up on child molestation charges.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Who were the other guys? Knoblauch? Chad Curtis? Luis Polonia? Did Jose Mesa play there in the 90s?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Curtis and Mel Hall. And I fucking forgot about Polonia (although I think his was a girl who lied about her age?).
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Well I could see why one would forget such a small detail.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

To borrow from bengal a bit

so, collusion?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I can't find it now, but I read an article a couple days ago that made sense to me as far as explaining why teams are not actively pursuing free agents. The basic point was that attendance is a smaller piece of teams' revenue pie than it used to be. So, in a relative VORP sense, the positive effect on revenue from hiring a top player is a minimal benefit over the effect from hiring a lesser player. So, it may be an individual team financial decision, rather than an organized collusion among teams.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'm not buying it personally.

I agree with this though.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:58 pm I can't find it now, but I read an article a couple days ago that made sense to me as far as explaining why teams are not actively pursuing free agents. The basic point was that attendance is a smaller piece of teams' revenue pie than it used to be. So, in a relative VORP sense, the positive effect on revenue from hiring a top player is a minimal benefit over the effect from hiring a lesser player. So, it may be an individual team financial decision, rather than an organized collusion among teams.
If that were the case, you wouldn't see the $20MM one year deals for guys like Donaldson and Grandal and Happ. Its 100% about suppressing the top-end wages, be it collusion or group-think.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:21 pm
sancarlos wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:58 pm I can't find it now, but I read an article a couple days ago that made sense to me as far as explaining why teams are not actively pursuing free agents. The basic point was that attendance is a smaller piece of teams' revenue pie than it used to be. So, in a relative VORP sense, the positive effect on revenue from hiring a top player is a minimal benefit over the effect from hiring a lesser player. So, it may be an individual team financial decision, rather than an organized collusion among teams.
If that were the case, you wouldn't see the $20MM one year deals for guys like Donaldson and Grandal and Happ. Its 100% about suppressing the top-end wages, be it collusion or group-think.
I've written and backed out of a couple of proposed responses, but this gets at it pretty spot on with what I think. If they give Harper or MAchado 33 million now, it follows that someone will get 40 sometime too.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Yankees committing $50MM next season to Happ, Britton, LeMahieu and Ottavino in an offseason where Harper and Machado are available is going to go down as an all-timer.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:56 pm The Yankees committing $50MM next season to Happ, Britton, LeMahieu and Ottavino in an offseason where Harper and Machado are available is going to go down as an all-timer.
The Yankees doing what the Rockies did last year is really kinda amusing

Also, if the Royals signed Machado to the 7-175 that the White Sox are reportedly offering (they won't but play with me here) their payroll would still be lower than it was in 2018.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think very worth pointing out the Yankees have stayed at 3 years or less and the collective bargaining agreement runs out at the end of 2021. Maybe a coincidence???
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

(so did the Rockies)
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

need to go look in BR and see just how many players are signed to deals after 2021
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I count 25 with either guaranteed or player option contracts in 2022. Corbin and Eovaldi are the only two signed this offseason.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Yes, the Royals just bought out Whit Merrifield's last pre-arb year and his three arb years but 4/16M is just insanity for one of the best middle infielders in baseball even if you're paying for 1-2 more peak years and a decline
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yup, and at the same time $16MM is set for life money for a guy who decidedly wasn’t yet and wasn’t ever guaranteed to be.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So basically the Angels and Os need to make a run on Bryce now.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... very-team/
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

I would love to see Harper playing with Trout on the Angels.

Also, are there going to be repercussions for the current collusion (allegedly) of owners? Last two winters were very strange.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

EdRomero wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:17 am Also, are there going to be repercussions for the current collusion (allegedly) of owners? Last two winters were very strange.
Ken Rosenthal has a good article on The Athletic that discusses the current MLB labor situation. If you take this article as gospel, I don't doubt there will be a strike when the next CBA comes up for renewal.
Baseball’s labor agreement does not expire for nearly three years. Yet such is the tension between the players and owners, the threat of the sport’s first work stoppage since 1994-95 is palpable.

Consider:

*Before each round of collective bargaining, the players empower their union, the Major League Baseball Players Association, to withhold a portion of the annual money they receive from licensing, putting it aside for a possible strike fund. The amounts generally rise as the end of a labor agreement draws near, but the players already have taken the unusual step of authorizing the union to withhold their entire checks, reflecting their increased urgency.

*Earlier this month, at baseball’s Rookie Career Development Program in Miami, union chief Tony Clark spoke to approximately 100 prospects at greater length than in previous years, explaining that recent difficulties in labor relations bear some similarity to past problems that led to stoppages. A number of the young players demonstrated a heightened awareness by raising specific concerns about service-time manipulation – keeping a top prospect in the minors to assure an extra year of control.

*Star players such as the Giants’ Evan Longoria, Cardinals’ Paul Goldschmidt and Rockies’ Charlie Blackmon are voicing concerns about the state of free agency almost daily, while officials from a number of clubs spent time at their recent fan conventions answering questions about their team’s lack of spending.

With spring training approximately two weeks away, the sport should be buzzing with talk about pitchers and catchers reporting and debating which teams are contenders. Instead, the talk is about the more than 130 free agents who remain on the open market — including the two biggest, Bryce Harper and Manny Machado — and of the frayed relations between players and owners that might disrupt a $10 billion industry and cause a work stoppage in ‘21.

Seth Levinson – an agent who adapted to a changing free-agent landscape this offseason and negotiated early deals worth a combined $186.5 million for right-hander Nathan Eovaldi, infielder Daniel Murphy and relievers Jeurys Familia, Joe Kelly and Justin Wilson – nonetheless fears the sport is in a dangerous place.

“Denial of the truth will lead to us locking arms and walking off the cliff together,” Levinson said. “I am concerned that the lessons of the past have been wiped away with time.

“Both sides need to recognize that the present system may result in intense acrimony which can never serve the best interests of the game. The CBA has been opened in the past to address compelling issues. Much sooner than later, the parties will need to find solutions to a system that is broken and create one that will allow for greater harmony.

“We all need to be smart and extremely careful not to damage the very thing that we all love. That would be inexcusable and shameful.”

The players and owners, though, are only a little more than two years into a five-year labor agreement. They have adjusted previous CBAs at midstream, perhaps most notably in their adoption and evolution of a Joint Drug Program, but never for economic changes. Major League Baseball is highly unlikely to negotiate a new economic system before the current deal expires, and the union understands a dramatic overhaul is out of reach until the next round of collective bargaining.

One potential compromise would be for baseball to agree to largely non-economic incentives that would spur greater competition in exchange for the union yielding on pace-of-play initiatives. But baseball officials say they have experienced repeated frustration trying to engage the union in conversation. They have yet to receive a response to a series of rules changes they proposed on Jan. 14.

“I am not sure why we are talking about ‘walking off the cliff together’ when we are three years away from the expiration of our collective bargaining agreement and there has been no effort by the MLBPA to engage in discussions on these issues,” said Dan Halem, MLB’s chief legal officer and deputy commissioner for baseball administration.

Countered Clark, “We are scheduled to meet this week to discuss a wide range of issues currently facing the game both on and off the field. These are not the first such meetings of this off-season.

“Any suggestion the players or the PA have been unwilling to engage in substantive discussions with the league is neither accurate nor productive to the parties’ ongoing dialogue.”

The players would be rightly alarmed if they were receiving a diminished percentage of industry revenue – a perception that exists in some quarters, but according to baseball is incorrect.

Since 2007, players have received between 53 and 57 percent of revenue annually, including 54.8 percent in 2018. Those figures, which include amateur signing bonuses and minor-league salaries, are audited and given to the union. They are not in dispute.

The picture, however, is different when considering only major-league salaries.

The owners, according to the Associated Press, reported a slight increase in the average salary last season, to $4,007,985. But the union, using different accounting methods, said the average dropped for the first time since 2004, dipping to $4,095,686, down $1,436 from the previous season. Going by the union figures, salaries barely rose over the most recent three-year period, increasing 3.6 percent from 2016 to ‘18 after rising 23 percent from ‘12 to ‘15.

The difference, Levinson said, is largely attributable to changes in free agency, which drove the player market for more than 40 years and helped make the union the wealthiest in professional sports, and one of the most powerful in history.

Levinson did a study of the players who attained the necessary six years of major-league service to become free agents in 2017-18, eliminating those who had retired, signed international contracts or were not expected to play due to injury.

Among his findings:

*The market was the third straight in which overall free-agent values declined.

*Players were not necessarily benefiting as they reached the open market, with 71 percent of all free agents accepting a pay cut.

*Multi-year deals were shorter in length, with 67 percent of them landing at two years.

*The disappearing middle class of players was reflected by the decline in median salary, from $1.65 million in 2014-15 to $1.32 million in ’17-18.

Baseball holds a different view, in part because it projects the current free-agent class to command the second-highest total of guaranteed dollars ever committed in one offseason, trailing only the 2015-16 group that received approximately $2.35 billion.

The sport’s projection for 2018-’19 includes conservative estimates for Harper and Machado and accounts for other prominent unsigned free agents, including closer Craig Kimbrel, left-hander Dallas Keuchel and super-utility man Marwin González.

While baseball acknowledges the dip in median salary, its figures show a 29 percent increase in the average salary from $3.1 million in 2012 to $4 million in ’18 – a climb it attributes to a larger number of highly compensated players. In 2018, the 10 highest-paid players earned more than the 1,000 lowest-paid combined.

As for the previous three-year decline in free-agent values, baseball attributes the dropoff, at least in part, to increased production – and earnings – by young players.

Of the top 50 players in Fangraphs’ version of Wins Above Replacement last season, 80 percent were younger than 30. Players with less than six years of service received 24 percent of the total player compensation, up from 16.3 percent in 2007.

Mike Trout is a leading example of the new trend. Eligible to become a free agent after the 2017 season, Trout instead signed a six-year, $144.5 million extension with the Angels in March 2014. He is on track to finally hit the open market after the ‘20 season – unless he signs another extension first.

Nick Markakis, on the other hand, is an example of how free agency no longer functions the way it once did.

True, Markakis is 35. True, he had a .701 OPS in the second half last season after producing an .877 OPS in the first. But he also made his first All-Star team and earned Gold Glove and Silver Slugger awards. And last Tuesday, he agreed to a one-year, $6 million contract to return to the Braves, a team that paid him $11 million last season.

Markakis’ actual salary in 2019 will be $4 million; the other $2 million stems from a buyout on a $6 million club option for ’20. A rival agent theorizes that if Markakis’ representative had the opportunity to tell clubs on the first day of free agency, “I’ve got a $4 million offer,” more competitive bidding would have ensued, and the 13-year veteran would have ended up with a higher number.

But that’s not the way free agency works anymore.

A growing number of agents, while frustrated with the clubs’ tactics, acknowledge that their previous negotiating strategies are no longer as effective, and that they need to operate differently than in the past.

Teams, drawing on analytics that assign specific dollar values to individual players, enter free agency with a pre-determined notion of what a player is worth. The teams’ evaluation models are similar, so often the values they assign player are similar. And with the market increasingly flooded with interchangeable parts – 41 non-tendered players joined the original list of 164 free agents this offseason – teams can wait to get the best possible deals. The smaller the contract, the better the chance for surplus value.

The similar offers many players receive strike some on the players’ side as possible collusion by teams to illegally depress free-agent salaries. The union, as it does every offseason, is encouraging agents to keep detailed notes of their conversations with clubs. Baseball does have a history of collusion – the owners paid the players $280 million to settle three cases in 1990 and another $12 million to address other allegations without an admission of guilt in 2006. The players also raised concerns about collusion in 2010, but nothing specific came of those allegations.

Then again, it is one thing to suspect collusion and quite another to prove it, particularly if baseball’s projections are accurate and the current free-agent class ends up the second-highest-paid in the game’s history.

“They’re not stupid. They’re not going to do that (engage in collusion) again,” one agent said of the clubs, speaking on the condition of anonymity. “What we have are a lot of GMs and front offices that are cut from the same cloth. They are way more disciplined than they’ve ever been.”

The consensus among many on both sides is that agents need to adjust, identify potential ways to exploit the market, and anticipate demands for certain types of players (of late, catchers, multi-use relievers and hitters with defensive versatility) before clubs target them.

For some arbitration-eligible players, the idea of agreeing to contract extensions including free-agent years thought to be below-market might hold greater appeal than it did previously. For some free agents, the best move might be to jump at reasonable offers early in the offseason than wait out the market.

Scott Boras, the most well-known of the baseball agents, often takes the opposite approach with his free agents, holding out for the right offer. His strategy, however, showed cracks last offseason, when right-hander Jake Arrieta, designated hitter J.D. Martinez and third baseman Mike Moustakas agreed to deals after spring-training camps opened that fell below public expectations.

Boras might argue otherwise. Martinez, who only once had played more than 140 games in a season, received five years, $110 million from the Red Sox in a front-loaded deal that includes two opt-outs. Arrieta, who was coming off a down season, received three years, $75 million with an opt-out the Phillies could void if they extend his deal to five years, $115 million.

The agent’s approach, however, is again getting tested.

Boras represents many of the top remaining free agents: Harper, Keuchel and Moustakas; Marwin González, Martín Maldonado and Gio Gonzalez. But what traditionally have been Boras’ greatest strengths – patience, fearlessness, resolve – are now strengths of the clubs as well.

An older agent, a veteran of the sport’s eight work stoppages, used to utter the phrase, “Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered,” when warning of labor unrest.

The agent was predicting trouble if clubs applied too much leverage in their dealings with players, went too far to press any advantage. A younger agent makes a similar point more delicately, arguing, “80 percent of something is better than 100 percent of nothing” – nothing being the revenues baseball would generate in the event of a work stoppage.

Even some on the players’ side doubt a stoppage would occur in ‘21, saying the union cannot unite the players for a strike, and the clubs know it. Money is one reason: The minimum salary of $555,000 might rise through cost-of-living adjustments in 2020 and ‘21, and the average salary figures to remain above $4 million. The current players also have no history of shutting the game down. The last player active during the 1994-95 strike, Alex Rodriguez, retired in August 2016.

Union officials, however, say the players are engaged and focused to a greater extent than in the past, “locked and loaded” for any potential fight. One agent was even more blunt, saying he didn’t think it was possible to galvanize the players, but that commissioner Rob Manfred and the clubs just might succeed.

But what exactly is the league supposed to do?

Manfred cannot force teams to spend more money. The union agreed to the current rules and has always bargained for a system that ebbs and flows according to market forces. Clubs currently hold the upper hand, but for decades the players manipulated the system to their advantage and never backed down. They were not going to stop clubs from giving them money.

Now that the balance of power has shifted, the clubs arguably are going too far with their algorithms, “modeling almost everything to a fault” in the words of one team official. At the same time, the clubs cannot be expected to stop trying to operate as efficiently as possible.

Then again, if the players are this upset, is the system truly working?

Consider the luxury tax, a mechanism introduced in the 1996 CBA to slow — not stop — the game’s biggest spenders (baseball remains the only major North American professional sport without a salary cap). More than two decades later, some high-revenue clubs treat the threshold as a soft cap, and shy away from setting salary precedents. The idea that a rising tide will raise all ships, a central tenet of the union’s past approach, no longer carries the same weight.

One agent says Clark should flip the script and announce, “I’m heartened and excited by the fiscal restraint of clubs, their ability to analyze and come up with similar values for players, their ability to budget. Because of that, we no longer need salary depressors in the next CBA. Why do we need a luxury tax if hardly anyone is paying it?”

Clever, but Clark first must answer MLB’s challenge to engage in productive discussions, and, as suggested previously, work around the edges of the CBA to create incentives for teams to compete to the fullest – for example, through adjustments to the draft. The clubs, in turn, must show good faith and a genuine willingness to address the players’ concerns, even if it means extending an olive branch and making a small financial sacrifice.

Sure would beat locking arms and walking off a cliff, as far off in the distance as that cliff might appear.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Clark is just so brutally overmatched.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Ken Rosenthal in The Athletic wrote:The left-on-left specialist — a left-handed reliever who sometimes faces only one left-handed hitter — soon might be an endangered species in Major League Baseball.

As part of a Jan. 14 proposal to the players’ union on pace of play, baseball suggested a rule requiring pitchers to face a minimum of three batters, sources told The Athletic.

The Major League Baseball Players Association responded last Friday with its own comprehensive proposal that addressed the players’ concerns on competitive integrity and service-time manipulation in multifaceted fashion, sources said. A lowering of a team’s draft position for failing to reach a specified win total in a certain number of seasons is believed to be part of the union’s plan.

A universal designated hitter — something the players have sought for more than three decades, according to commissioner Rob Manfred — also was part of the union’s proposal. Under the plan, the National League would adopt the DH for the 2019 season...
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So we'd see an uptick in both real injuries and strategic fake injuries. Seems fun.

Also, I'm convinced the only play at this point is for Harper and Machado to sit out into the season and embarrass the sport.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:39 pm So we'd see an uptick in both real injuries and strategic fake injuries. Seems fun.

Also, I'm convinced the only play at this point is for Harper and Machado to sit out into the season and embarrass the sport.
I agree whole heartedly. Then when aaron judge breaks his hand again, BOOOOM trillions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:39 pm So we'd see an uptick in both real injuries and strategic fake injuries. Seems fun.

I was honestly just going to say the latter option would be pretty awesome even if ridiculously unlikely. Harper should say he's just going to stay out for as long as VGK is in the NHL playoffs and wait for some injuries to happen. (Other than the NHL part it's how Fielder got such a huge contract from the Tigers.)
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Murray makes it official that he’s choosing football:

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So both times right before the draft he's committed to the sport he's about to get drafted into. I imagine nothing would change if he somehow slipped to the 4th round.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

mister d wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:56 pm So both times right before the draft he's committed to the sport he's about to get drafted into. I imagine nothing would change if he somehow slipped to the 4th round.
Except in this case he’s giving up almost $4.5 million as part of the commitment. Also, it’s a weak draft for QBs and unlikely that he drops out of the first round.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Oh. I should probably not talk football, huh?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Why doesn’t Oakland just announce they’re retaining his rights to play professional sports? Dafuk ass-bending language did they include in that contract, anyway?
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So he got $210K to sign his name. That's pretty cool.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

#Notalawyer, but how is it when an NFL team goes on the record discussing Kyler Murray’s draft status, they’re not interfering with the contract he’s signed with the Oakland Athletics Baseball Club?

Or is it just because the A’s have played themselves into the cuckold here?
Noli Timere Messorem