Pittsburgh synagogue

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Pittsburgh synagogue

Post by Brontoburglar »

Make it stop
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Re: Pittsburgh synagogue

Post by mister d »

Very fine people. Rogue gunman. Not the time.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Thoughts. Prayers. Lone Wolf. No amount of laws would stop this.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

As soon as Trump used the name "Soros," this became inevitable.

I hope that the Jews I know who back this abortion of an administration take note, and I hope that pieces of shit like Sheldon Adelson notice what they have helped unleash by spending their hundreds of millions to legitimize this disgraceful, sickening state of affairs.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Well, president says that if there was an armed guard in the synagogue, than this probably wouldn't have happened.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Gotta have armed guards at a fucking bris. How dumb are Pittsburgh Jews, amirite?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

One of my good local friends is a Jewish guy who voted for and continues to support Trump. Trump's support of Israel is a big factor. We've had a few discussions about our opposing views of Trump but we generally end up changing the subject for the sake of the friendship.

I think (after we have a few beers) I'm going to bring up some of the issues noted above and pursue the question of how he can continue to support a guy who supports and agitates these kinds of dangerous assholes.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Because he loves Israel. Moved everything to Jerusuleum and he hates the sand people. That is more important to those that voted for him than anything else. Little wins for small groups and huge losses for everyone else.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

duff wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:22 pm Because he loves Israel. Moved everything to Jerusuleum and he hates the sand people. That is more important to those that voted for him than anything else. Little wins for small groups and huge losses for everyone else.
It is very similar to the reasons why so many people who are anti-choice would support anyone who espouses the same belief.

So many Jews convinced themselves that Obama wanted to destroy Israel.

And there's also the fact that a lot of Jews - like non-Jews - value money over morals. If they can save a few hundred bucks in taxes, than who cares?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Synagogue was not the one my folks belonged to when they lived in Pittsburgh, but lots of their friends are. Terrible
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

My wife is finally done. If work agrees to let me switch jobs and go to contract work (which will save them at least $20K a year probably more) then we’re moving to Koh Samui, Thailand around January 2020.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Just imagine the reaction if Obama made any jokes about anything after a mass shooting.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

bfj wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:04 pm Just imagine the reaction if Obama made any jokes about anything after a mass shooting.
It’s mind-boggling the disconnect from reality with these people. It’s truly a cult of personality.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Yeah, because a rent-a-cop, on a sleepy Saturday morning service, is going to be able to hold his own against a fucking Nazi armed with an AR-15 and multiple handguns who ends up shooting 3 cops.

There is no bottom with Trump. Just when you thinking 'Ok, that's it...he can't go any lower', he says 'oh yeah? watch this'...

Bastard...
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Back when I would attend, the place I went to had multiple police officers at the main entrance. However, they had nobody at the multiple side entrances to the facility.

I was invited to attend a “stop the hate” rally at a local synagogue today. The last place I want to be is with a large group today. Not in this environment, not at this time.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

bfj wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:33 am Back when I would attend, the place I went to had multiple police officers at the main entrance. However, they had nobody at the multiple side entrances to the facility.

I was invited to attend a “stop the hate” rally at a local synagogue today. The last place I want to be is with a large group today. Not in this environment, not at this time.
And that’s precisely why he shot up a synagogue yesterday afternoon.
Noli Timere Messorem
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

EnochRoot wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:19 am
bfj wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:33 am Back when I would attend, the place I went to had multiple police officers at the main entrance. However, they had nobody at the multiple side entrances to the facility.

Thanks for explaining that.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

bfj wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:49 am
EnochRoot wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:19 am

Thanks for explaining that.
I’m sorry - I didn’t intend to come across any particular way. Your attendance at that rally may be a benefit to those who feel even more vulnerable than you do.
Noli Timere Messorem
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

No thanks. I have 2 children. If that makes me selfish, I can live with that.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I’m sorry man.
Noli Timere Messorem
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

EnochRoot wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:52 pm I’m sorry man.
For what? Can’t wait to hear this.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

bfj wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:56 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:52 pm I’m sorry man.
For what? Can’t wait to hear this.
Can’t wait to hear what? Sympathy from somebody who recognizes that anti-Semitism has been on the rise in Europe and it yet again rears its ugly head here stateside isn’t your cup of tea?

Kinda fuck off with that nonsense.
Noli Timere Messorem
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Thanks for apologizing for anti semitism. I wish it helped.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Does D'Souza not have a working mirror in his home?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:17 pm Synagogue was not the one my folks belonged to when they lived in Pittsburgh, but lots of their friends are. Terrible
Yup 2 of the women were friends with my mom.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The synagogue I am a member of in Baltimore has an armed police officer on the street over the last number of years. Which I have to admit I find interesting because I usually park a on the corner where there is an active drug sales operation going on (less than a block from where the officer is standing). Fun during the high holidays.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I wish I knew why people (non-Arabs) hate Jews. I just don’t understand it. I mean other than controlling Hollywood and all the banks, what have we done to anyone?
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:09 am

The synagogue I am a member of in Baltimore has an armed police officer on the street over the last number of years. Which I have to admit I find interesting because I usually park a on the corner where there is an active drug sales operation going on (less than a block from where the officer is standing). Fun during the high holidays.
Bolton Street?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

bfj wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:17 am

Bolton Street?
No corner of Chauncey and Linden (Right in front of the Linden Food Market)
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I haven't gotten into the details of Pittsburgh, mainly because I'm just kind of exhausted by it all. But I know here in MoCo, MD, county police are stationed at synagogues during service. Been that way for a pretty long time.

It's why, I presumed, so many cops got shot is that they were probably on scene or very close by. But, again, I haven't had the heart/stomach to go track that detail down.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:36 am
bfj wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:17 am

Bolton Street?
No corner of Chauncey and Linden (Right in front of the Linden Food Market)
Beth Am. Not the best neighborhood. Beautiful synagogue.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:57 am Gotta have armed guards at a fucking bris. How dumb are Pittsburgh Jews, amirite?
The sad thing is there was one when we went to a friend's son's bar mitzvah a few months ago. I remember specifically thinking how fucked up that is.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Giff wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:01 am
brian wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:57 am Gotta have armed guards at a fucking bris. How dumb are Pittsburgh Jews, amirite?
The sad thing is there was one when we went to a friend's son's bar mitzvah a few months ago. I remember specifically thinking how fucked up that is.
Back in the mid-70s there were bomb threats against a couple of Toronto synagogues at the High holidays. Ever since then, there are always security guards on site at any sizeable congregation. But this being Canada, they are armed with nothing more intimidating than walkie-talkies.

At the major holidays, there will be real cops at the doors though.

And to answer bfj's question about why people hate Jews - it pretty much goes back to this Jesus fella. Not his fault, but when you look at how different Christian sects hate each other, not surprising that the hate towards Jews is magnified. Also, back in the day, we were marginalized and ghettoized all throughout Europe. Always easier to scapegoat those who are already officially shat upon by the powers that be.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:27 am
Back in the mid-70s there were bomb threats against a couple of Toronto synagogues at the High holidays. Ever since then, there are always security guards on site at any sizeable congregation. But this being Canada, they are armed with nothing more intimidating than walkie-talkies.

And to answer bfj's question about why people hate Jews - it pretty much goes back to this Jesus fella. Not his fault, but when you look at how different Christian sects hate each other, not surprising that the hate towards Jews is magnified. Also, back in the day, we were marginalized and ghettoized all throughout Europe. Always easier to scapegoat those who are already officially shat upon by the powers that be.
But we aren’t marginalized or ghettoized here. So what are we the scapegoats for? What are Jews being blamed for that makes people hate Jews?

The synagogue I used to attend has Baltimore County cops out front. Fully armed. But, there are 20 ways in and out of the buildings around the synagogue one could use to gain access.

WRT what Shirley said, I read that the cops he shot were responding to the shooting, not on site protecting. My buddy who runs a security company told me his phone has been ringing off the hook from local synagogues today hiring him to staff all services this weekend.

My kids go to/work at a Jewish day camp and there are armed police at the entrance to the camp all summer. I do worry about them during the summers.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

bfj wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:54 amBut we aren’t marginalized or ghettoized here. So what are we the scapegoats for? What are Jews being blamed for that makes people hate Jews?
I honestly don't think its much deeper, atleast for people like the shooter, than nazi fetishism. They need "thems" to hate so anyone with an obvious difference or a history that they aren't fits.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I wish I knew why anyone hated anyone based only on their religion or the color of their skin or anything other than their individual character.

Why do so many people hate black people? Or Latinos? Or gays? Or women?

It seems as counter-productive and self-defeating to me as sticking my dick in a meat grinder.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:07 am
wlu_lax6 wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:17 pm Synagogue was not the one my folks belonged to when they lived in Pittsburgh, but lots of their friends are. Terrible
Yup 2 of the women were friends with my mom.
Fuck. I'm sorry.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

bfj wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:54 am
Pruitt wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:27 am

But we aren’t marginalized or ghettoized here. So what are we the scapegoats for? What are Jews being blamed for that makes people hate Jews?

The synagogue I used to attend has Baltimore County cops out front. Fully armed. But, there are 20 ways in and out of the buildings around the synagogue one could use to gain access.

WRT what Shirley said, I read that the cops he shot were responding to the shooting, not on site protecting. My buddy who runs a security company told me his phone has been ringing off the hook from local synagogues today hiring him to staff all services this weekend.

My kids go to/work at a Jewish day camp and there are armed police at the entrance to the camp all summer. I do worry about them during the summers.
Isn't it the "killing Jesus" thing in its deepest roots? I think that's still a big part of it for some people. I'm not legitimizing that thought process by any means.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.