Willie “Stretch” McCovey.

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

L-Jam3
The Dude

Willie “Stretch” McCovey.

Post by L-Jam3 »

My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Re: Willie “Stretch” McCovey.

Post by DaveInSeattle »

My favorite player when I was a kid...

And I remember vividly...my freshman year in High School, going to a game after McCovey came back to the Giants, when he hit a game-tying home run and then Jack Clark hit a walk off in extra innings.
sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Willie “Stretch” McCovey.

Post by sancarlos »

To put that comic in context, it helps to know that Charles Shulz lived in Santa Rosa, CA (just north of San Francisco) and was a Giants fan. This is from the baseball hall of fame's website. LINK
After six games, 12 days and a cumulative run total that was virtually dead even, the 1962 World Series came down to one at-bat.

When Willie McCovey’s screaming line drive landed in the glove of Bobby Richardson, the Yankees had captured their 20th Fall Classic title. On Oct. 16, 1962, one of the most closely contested World Series in history was decided by the slimmest of margins...

...Terry kept the Giants at bay through eight innings, but allowed a bunt single to Matty Alou to lead of the bottom of the ninth. Terry regrouped to strike out Felipe Alou and Chuck Hiller, but then Willie Mays doubled to right field – with only a brilliant throw by Roger Maris holding the speedy Matty Alou at third base.

With McCovey up next and Orlando Cepeda on deck, Yankees manager Ralph Houk had Terry pitch to McCovey with first base open. McCovey lined a ball that looked like a sure base hit before Richardson’s catch put an end to the Giants’ rally.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian