Hey nonlinear..avatar bet?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Hey nonlinear..avatar bet?

Post by wlu_lax6 »

JHU v. W&L in the NCAA d3 soccer playoffs. Winner gets #1 ranked Messiah.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Re: Hey nonlinear..avatar bet?

Post by wlu_lax6 »

bump
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, I have been following the Hop this year. Actually went up and watched them on Saturday in the CC semis. Weird game.

Anyways, let's do it!
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

0-0 with Jays moving on 4-2 in pks.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I have a question for him, but it didn't need to be a PM.

Is the attitude of most Caps fans towards George McPhee on RMNB (mostly derogatory, mocking, derisive) -- representative of most of the Caps fanbase -- at least in your opinion?

I get that he didn't win the Cup there and they did once he left, but seems like some dissonance especially after winning a Cup with mostly players that he had drafted and acquired, not even to mention the Caps were mired in mediocrity (at best) for three decades before he got there and were one of the best teams in the league (albeit one that didn't win a Cup) for the 15 years he was there.

We can get in the weeds on this decision and that (the Forsberg trade is laughably horrible), acknowledge that drafting Ovechkin was a no-brainer that almost no one on the planet could screw up, but it still seems like after winning a Cup last season some acknowledgement that he had a role in that would be warranted after the fact. Then again, maybe I'm reading too much into yahoos commenting on message boards.

I'll hang up and listen...
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think its how little he did with two chalk lottery pick, HoF + cusp HoF players. Do you give Sather credit for some very good years or do you say he wasted the career of one of the luckiest value picks of all time?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:05 pm I think its how little he did with two chalk lottery pick, HoF + cusp HoF players. Do you give Sather credit for some very good years or do you say he wasted the career of one of the luckiest value picks of all time?
I think the issue becomes how much of a crapshoot the playoffs are. I get that the standard -- right or wrong -- is titles, but didn't they have like three President's Trophies in 15 years or something like that and several other division titles. Blaming the GM because the goalie had a bad playoffs or Star X got hurt one year seems dumb. (I'm not even questioning the decision to let him go back in '15 or '16 because at a certain point even if the GM doesn't have a role in playoff performance beyond putting the team together, it becomes it own weird thing and it's probably best to change things up. Same thing can happen even with great coaches. If you can't get over the hump after a few years sometimes it's best just to make a change.)

ETA: Closest example for me would be Dave Dombrowski, who I had quibbles with to be sure, but the guy built a team that contended for World Series for about six straight years and played in two. Maybe it's better for my memories of DD is that they sucked right after he left (even though the sucking was mostly his doing) instead of winning a title the year after when it would have been easier to scapegoat DD even though he built the team that won the (hypothetical) title for the most part.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I don't know I look at it as results, but roster building. Take out the obvious stuff and the clear non-GM scouting hits and ask does a different GM do better, worse or the same. I don't know what percentage of GMs find a way to ride Lundqvist to a Cup, if not a mini-dynasty, but I'd have to think its well into the non-zeros. Same goes for GMGM, he was carrying the other all-time elite without a Cup for a long time and it came together when he left.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

So, wow, so many layers.

1) Washington is a shitty sports town. Really. You get told by sports talk that all anyone here cares about is the RacistNameDeleted but it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. Start with that as a baseline.

2) Within "Caps Nation" you have a HUGE chunk that just doesn't really know the game that well. At this point, not a majority, but still a very sizable portion. They are looking at results, and only results that they can see in a pretty small window of time.

3) GMGM sat on a team that, as was mentioned, won multiple President's Trophies. And when not winning those, they were coming in second or third in overall points. The team ripped through regular seasons like a (cliche cliche blah blah) and then lost to the Ranger or Penguins or Montreal in agonizing fashion.

You are absolutely right, the playoffs are full of vagaries. But at some point, all that bitterness got turned on the GM and people wanted him out. I'm not going to front and say I disagreed. We needed a fresh start at the top.

Shit, we won a fucking Cup. I'm not going to shit on Ted for making that change.

If you're asking do I think GMGM deserves some credit and love from Caps fans? Absolutely. No question. But I also don't have any issue with him having a mixed legacy here in DC. Guy is very talented, but Ted let him stay on about 3 years too long. You had to know, at some point, that building a regular season juggernaut, but a playoff petunia wasn't sustainable at some point.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.