2018-19 NCAA Basketball Season

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: 2018-19 NCAA Basketball Season

Post by mister d »

Atlantic 10 (Brooklyn???)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:53 pm Atlantic 10 (Brooklyn???)
Amongst others. I only saw three that play at campus sites, but I didn't look at all of them so there could be one or two more.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I wonder how many fans those games attract. An example, America East is somewhat low, but they play games on campus and the championship game is sold out. How many people would be there if they played in Worcester or Albany and the like? There's a reason they went from neutral to campus games. It would probably help other low to mid-major teams as well.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

To be honest, I think most conferences don't care that much about butts in seats. Obviously they want to sell as many tickets as possible, but going to a conference tournament is about as close as many of these kids are going to get to playing in the NCAA Tournament so in that sense a neutral-site tournament is a good chance for the kids to get to experience traveling for a tournament, etc.

The ADs, coaches and the media get a chance to get together as well, etc.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

If you can't enjoy watching Zion play you're a monster.

This coming from a UK fan.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

A_B wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:07 am If you can't enjoy watching Zion play you're a monster.

I still think KD is the best player as a freshman that I’ve seen in the one-and-done era but Zion is the biggest freshman star I’ve seen, if that distinction makes any sense.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Maybe if you qualify with "as a freshman" but Durant was not some sort of monster in college. A lot more like Ben Simmons level if I remember right. You saw the flashes and physical tools but didnt translate so much. Crazy as it sounds Oden was the consensus pick and not sure it was close.

Well, looked it up and the stats were gaudy but I just dont remember him being so dominant and certainly not that team. Parts were better than the whole. Definitely remember the infamous bench press. You could see it but mostly because of the freakish size and relative dearth of longish perimeter guys at the time.
Last edited by HaulCitgo on Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Joe K wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:22 am
A_B wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:07 am If you can't enjoy watching Zion play you're a monster.

I still think KD is the best player as a freshman that I’ve seen in the one-and-done era but Zion is the biggest freshman star I’ve seen, if that distinction makes any sense.
I think that Anthony Davis is the guy who was just far and away the best player in the country his freshman year.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:42 am Maybe if you qualify with "as a freshman" but Durant was not some sort of monster in college. A lot more like Ben Simmons level if I remember right. You saw the flashes and physical tools but didnt translate so much. Crazy as it sounds Oden was the consensus pick and not sure it was close.
You do not remember right. Durant was definitely a monster in college. He averaged 26 points and 11 rebounds per game with 47.3%/40.4%/81.6% shooting splits. So he outscored Zion by 4 ppg, outrebounded him by 2 rpg, and was a much better shooter from 3 and the foul-line. He also had a slight edge in blocks per game.

Oden was the consensus pick because people still overvalued centers and undervalued perimeter scoring.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:48 am
Joe K wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:22 am

I think that Anthony Davis is the guy who was just far and away the best player in the country his freshman year.
I’m a Kentucky fan and Durant was way better in college than Davis. Davis had nowhere near the offensive game that he has since developed. Durant was an unstoppable scoring machine from day 1.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Nah it was because Oden was the actual monster that year. Seems like OSU went to the final four and Texas did squat.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:54 am Nah it was because Oden was the actual monster that year. Seems like OSU went to the final four and Texas did squat.
It’s almost like basketball is a team game.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:54 am Nah it was because Oden was the actual monster that year. Seems like OSU went to the final four and Texas did squat.
Good lord
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Its not a knock on Durant its just that Oden was really really really good. And Durant had guys on his team too. Maybe its that basketball is more than throwing up 3s.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

I’m going to walk away from this conversation now out of fear that I will be baited into being a full fledged KD-stan.

I’ll stand by my view he’s the best freshman I’ve ever seen and return to hoping that he gets into a fistfight with Draymond and implodes the Warriors this postseason.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

If Oden's no-name teammate doesn't hit a crazy 3-POINT SHOT, they're out in the same round as Texas
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Ifs, buts, whatever. They made the final with Conley and Oden and Texas got bounced with Durant and Augustin. About the same to me.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I had zero doubts whatsoever that Durant was going to be a megastar after his year at Texas. He's the only player I can say that about since LeBron in high school.

ETA. Thinking back, I also had zero doubts about Carmelo being a megastar, but that didn't quite hold true.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

I hear you but come on... somebody had doubts that was paid to evaluate him for months on end. Obviously you were on the right end of that evaluation but it wasnt like this guy was head and shoulders better because he wasnt even deemed the best of his year.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:39 am I hear you but come on... somebody had doubts that was paid to evaluate him for months on end. Obviously you were on the right end of that evaluation but it wasnt like this guy was head and shoulders better because he wasnt even deemed the best of his year.
I know I said I was walking away, but Durant *was* deemed the best NCAA player that year as he swept the Naismith and Wooden Awards. He was not deemed the best NBA prospect because, until recently, teams significantly overvalued traditional centers in the draft process. I saw recently that the highest scoring trio from any draft class ever is Nowitzki, Pierce and Carter from 1998. The #1 overall pick in that draft was Michael Olowokandi.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Or perhaps the national awards favor ball dominant offensive players.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Is there an argument that Wofford should have tanked their conference final to get a second team in?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

This unc/duke game is a lot of fun.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

That was one of he best non partisan games I’ve ever watched.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Ryan wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:12 am If Oden's no-name teammate doesn't hit a crazy 3-POINT SHOT, they're out in the same round as Texas
Yeah, I remember watching OSU in the first or second round when they almost lost, and Oden did squat in the game, iirc.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The biggest adjustment Zion is going to have to make is not playing 100 percent all the time. But it’s basically the playoffs so it’s good now. But man it would be hard to play 100 games at that intensity. Fun to watch.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I fully expect three acc one seeds at this point. Then UK/UT/Zags for final spot. I’d lean towards winner of UK/UT but I expect to end up in worst bracket imaginable no matter what.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

A_B wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:40 pm The biggest adjustment Zion is going to have to make is not playing 100 percent all the time. But it’s basically the playoffs so it’s good now. But man it would be hard to play 100 games at that intensity. Fun to watch.
That’s why he needs to go to the Knicks, to learn bad habits
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Maybe UVA got its shitburger out of the way early enough this year.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

A_B wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:34 pm That was one of he best non partisan games I’ve ever watched.
Seemed stark to me watching the second half this morning that unc was by far the better coached team. Duke took a ton of bad shots, missed rotations on D, etc, but Zion was a beast so they won. My only beef with Zion is he too often goes for the late block and flies himself out of the picture giving up easy offensive boards.

I would worry a little bit as an nba gm about his body shape and will he maintain his explosiveness in 5yrs. That’s what sets him apart, and if he bulks up a little will his body handle it? That said he is a hell of a player.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

A_B wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:49 pm I fully expect three acc one seeds at this point. Then UK/UT/Zags for final spot. I’d lean towards winner of UK/UT but I expect to end up in worst bracket imaginable no matter what.
I’m not sure the ACC will get 3. UVA is a lock; Duke will be too if it wins tonight. But then I could see UNC being a 2-seed with Gonzaga and the Tenn/Ky winner (assuming it also wins on Sunday) getting the other two 1-seeds. The Saint Mary’s loss was bad but Gonzaga had a very strong season overall. What hurts the Zags, however, is having the head-to-head losses against UNC and Tennessee. Michigan State also has a ton of quality wins but it’s probably locked into a 2-seed regardless.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I think Virginia and Duke have locked up 1-seeds (with the order possibly to be decided tonight) and Kentucky will join them if they win today. Kentucky is a little lucky to have their more important game for seeding in the semifinal. The committee has proven to be incapable of making last minute adjustments. For the same reason, I think Gonzaga is probably the last 1-seed. It’s just too hard for them to process what to do if, for instance, Tennessee wins the SEC 3 hours before the selection.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Gonzaga losing to both UT and UNc doesn’t help them at all.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Very match fixy no call at the end there in Nashville.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I’m not huge on conspiracy theories, but pretty sure Tennessee put a guy in to antoagonize our best player. What sucks most? It worked and Washington sat out last 12 minutes of first half.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

That is definitely in the Rick Barnes playbook, so maybe
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Shouldn’t all of these Iowa State fans be back home evaluating the Democratic presidential candidates? Do they not fucking care about the issues?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Rex wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:38 pm Shouldn’t all of these Iowa State fans be back home evaluating the Democratic presidential candidates? Do they not fucking care about the issues?
"How do you feel about running Kansas out of a gym that, while technically a neutral court, is pretty close to being their second home arena?"
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Meanwhile Trump is going to put Kentucky as the #2 in Louisville and people act like it’s normal
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Zero chance we are that 2