Trump Admin Meltdown Thread Part III - A Democratic House

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Trump Admin Meltdown Thread Part III - A Democratic House

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:42 pm It just seems like a real opening for someone to do what Brian said. Maybe even someone higher up than a mayor. People are referring to it as a humanitarian crisis, so there are some political points to be gained if the logistics could be figured out.
So if a city like San Fran finds a way to take in a large number of illegals to prove the political point that we don't have a crisis, will FoxNews report the amazing success? No, of course not. There are no political points to be gained. It's how the Right operates, manufacture a crisis to scare the fuck out of voters before an election (invading caravans! ebola!), then never mention the story again. They get the instant win of killing Dems on the topic, then move on to the next topic before their base realizes the last one was complete bullshit. How many Fox viewers sat down and said, "wait a minute, what happened to Obama's plot to destroy the country by bringing in ebola?" No, because they were to busy shitting their pants that Obama was going to invade Texas and steal all their guns by staging the Jade Helm military drills as a front.

On the flip side, they would get killed locally, because nobody wants to shell out money to harbor busloads of illegals just to spite Trump and show it can be done. Despite the constant blurting that Liberals love illegals and want open borders, nobody wants illegals, Liberals just don't want their children separated and locked in cages.

Finally, sanctuary city mayors don't want to prove a point and shelter illegals, they just don't want to extend beyond their authority to do ICE's job for them.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

And fuck these humans to the very depths of hell - using groups of disadvantaged people to score political points and punish their political enemies.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

So it's a "we don't want illegals, but you do so you take care of them, you bleeding hearts" situation.

They're banking on small town governments saying "WTF? We can't handle the influx of people and take care of them."

Which in turn "owns the Libz." Am I reading that right? That's so petty. And dumb. But that's Republicans.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Yes, that’s the way I read it—cynical. It’s saying there are two sides of this argument: people who don’t want illegals around and support a muscular approach on one side, and people who don’t want illegals around but don’t have a position on what to do about it except to criticize the other side.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

I’m not going to link it here but Trump’s Tweet about Rep. Ilhan Omar is absolutely reprehensible. And the cowardly silence from the Democratic leadership and Presidential candidates is extremely disappointing.

ETA: about time. Still waiting on Pelosi, Schumer, et al.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rex wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:15 pm Yes, that’s the way I read it—cynical. It’s saying there are two sides of this argument: people who don’t want illegals around and support a muscular approach on one side, and people who don’t want illegals around but don’t have a position on what to do about it except to criticize the other side.
Or, we could continue the process of allowing asylum seekers into the country pending hearings, and deporting those who overstay visas or sneak in through the border the way we have for the past 50 years. Since the number of illegals entering or overstaying is at an all-time low, I don't understand why we suddenly have a national emergency crisis that requires the President to shutdown the government, and try to build a pointless fucking wall to appease his base, after Congress voted against it. Trumps claim of not having enough room is completely and utter bullshit. His policy of separating children from their parents is an attempt to flex his masculinity, dehumanize legal and legitimate asylum seekers, and treat them so cruelly they won't want to come. Another thing the media completely misses, is that the asylum seekers ARE entering legally. Asylum seekers are supposed to enter the country, and claim asylum. And if a judge rules they have a legitimate claim, they are granted legal residency, and if not, they are deported. Trump is trying to fix a problem that has actually been improving, so why do the Dems suddenly need a solution or else cave to the whims of a fear mongering race baiter screaming doom and gloom of murderous rape-monsters flooding into the country?

Most Dems in Congress support increasing technology at the border to help Border Patrol, and I agree with that. We can increase our ability to patrol the border, but a fucking wall is pointless, because walls are already in place at otherwise easy crossing points, and building his 2000 miles of big, beautiful wall will cause all sorts of problems, and large sections would have to be built inside the US due to rivers and terrain, so asylum seekers would be legally inside the US before they got to the wall, so it would be fucking pointless. I forgot the numbers, but the government would have to confiscate enormous amounts of land from private land owners who don't want to give up there land. It would cut off huge amounts of cattle ranches, golf clubs, farms... but Trump doesn't give a fuck, he can't be bothered with details, laws, or reality. He wants his big, beautiful wall so he can brag about building the most tremendous wall of anyone in history. Also, he needs to continue to cause fights to keep his base agitated. They don't care what he is fighting about, they just need to see him swinging his saggy orange ballsack around acting like a tough guy pissing off Libs.
-Pruitt
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Warren is spot on here:

The GOP attacks on Omar are nothing less than an attack on the idea of Muslims participating in American public life.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I think if I could vote for anybody at this moment, it would be Elizabeth Warren.

And, I used to be pretty libertarian.

She just seems to have a shit ton of integrity.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

My MF Queen
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Warren is great. Pelosi, not so much:

What a ridiculously craven cop-out.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I was right then got soft and wrong and now I’m comfortably safe saying fuck Pelosi even if she nails the next controversy or three.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

mister d wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:24 pm I was right then got soft and wrong and now I’m comfortably safe saying fuck Pelosi even if she nails the next controversy or three.
Yeah, this is not a tough spot. An unpopular President is inciting hatred against a member of your House caucus. And even before this latest incitement, a devoted fan of that President was arrested by the FBI for plotting to kill that same Congresswoman. But Pelosi will never take a stand for unpopular minority groups and there is no more demonized group in this country than Muslim immigrants.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Oh, hey. Pelosi made a statement.

https://www.speaker.gov/newsroom/41319/

Such statement. Much leadership. Very Speaker. Wow.

Fucking Democrats.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Democrats gave until April 10th for Trump to provide tax returns .

That came and went. No punishment.

Now he has until April 23rd.

Pretty sure that's going to come and go too.

What's next? You have until Cinco do Mayo? Father's Day?

I thought Congress had power or something.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:19 pm Democrats gave until April 10th for Trump to provide tax returns .

That came and went. No punishment.

Now he has until April 23rd.

Pretty sure that's going to come and go too.

What's next? You have until Cinco do Mayo? Father's Day?

I thought Congress had power or something.
They’ve already requested them. Next step is going to court so it’s OK to give an extra couple weeks even it’s inevitably gonna end up in court.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

echoing Brian, what punishment is Congress supposed to have ready on April 11?
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

It looks weak. They can literally demand anyone's taxes because of history and the Treasury Secretary said "nah."

Fuck that.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:43 pm It looks weak. They can literally demand anyone's taxes because of history and the Treasury Secretary said "nah."

Fuck that.
ok, so, what punishment is available?
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Can't they subpoena guys and then hold them in contempt?
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:22 pm Oh, hey. Pelosi made a statement.

https://www.speaker.gov/newsroom/41319/

Such statement. Much leadership. Very Speaker. Wow.

Fucking Democrats.
More inspiring leadership:

Pelosi is of a generation of Democratic leadership that was traumatized by the Presidential Elections from 1968-1984 and as a result is constantly terrified of acting forcefully. That’s why she’s already taken impeachment off the table. In contrast, AOC and other young Dems have only seen the GOP win the popular vote once or twice in their lifetimes and thus are far more willing to fight for principled positions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:56 pm
Johnnie wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:43 pm It looks weak. They can literally demand anyone's taxes because of history and the Treasury Secretary said "nah."

Fuck that.
ok, so, what punishment is available?
Glad you asked. Pursuant to 26 US Code section 6103(f):

(f) Disclosure to Committees of Congress
(1) Committee on Ways and Means, Committee on Finance, and Joint Committee on Taxation
Upon written request from the chairman of the Committee on Ways and Means of the House of Representatives, the chairman of the Committee on Finance of the Senate, or the chairman of the Joint Committee on Taxation, the Secretary shall furnish such committee with any return or return information specified in such request, except that any return or return information which can be associated with, or otherwise identify, directly or indirectly, a particular taxpayer shall be furnished to such committee only when sitting in closed executive session unless such taxpayer otherwise consents in writing to such disclosure.

This requires Mnuchin to turn over Trump's tax returns, no excuses, no protections. There are no exceptions, and from what I've read, no request has ever been denied. So failing to turn over the requested returns violates this statute. As for the punishment, I give you 26 US Code Section 7214, which makes it a crime for any federal government employee to fail to uphold any part of the tax code (26 US Code), carrying a mandatory removal from office or discharge, a maximum 5 year prison sentence, and a fine not to exceed $10,000. Might need to up the maximum fine, but I'll take the mandatory removal and potential prison sentence.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

that's good info! but this is also a democratic party that sure as hell ain't going to be doing that on april 12
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:23 am that's good info! but this is also a democratic party that sure as hell ain't going to be doing that on april 12
That's why it is such a vital part of our system that the Dept of Justice and Attorney General remain independent and separate from the President and politics. Which is why the Senate must confirm AG nominees, because the Senate acts as a check on the President. Even when they are of the same party, Senators put the good of the country and the Constitution and protection of our institutions before Party. So in summary, fuck Mitch McConnell.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The actual real president.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:51 am The actual real president.
From a guy who considers fraud and bribery "good business." Remember when he rebranded Trump Airlines as Delta? Huge, tremendous success. That's why he is the greatest businessman of all time!
-Pruitt
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:06 am
From a guy who considers fraud and bribery "good business." Remember when he rebranded Trump Airlines as Delta? Huge, tremendous success. That's why he is the greatest businessman of all time!
A businessman that this country so badly needs.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Not to be that guy, but it was Eastern Airlines that became Trump Shuttle.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:45 am
Could that be the peak-Trump twitter?

The guy responsible for Trump Air, Trump University, Trump Wine, Trump Steaks, Trump Mortgage, etc is bragging about "rebranding'.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:02 pm
Not to be that guy, but it was Eastern Airlines that became Trump Shuttle.
I was going for a joke that he would lie, and instead of admitting his airline went under, say he rebranded it. I chose Delta since it is a major airline that long predates Trump Air. I knew it was a stretch when I made the joke...
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Good thing we have Trump to point out to Boeing that they should fix the issues with the plane. Pretty sure they weren't gonna do that before.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:04 pm
Pruitt wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:45 am
Could that be the peak-Trump twitter?

The guy responsible for Trump Air, Trump University, Trump Wine, Trump Steaks, Trump Mortgage, etc is bragging about "rebranding'.
And of course...

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:17 pm Good thing we have Trump to point out to Boeing that they should fix the issues with the plane. Pretty sure they weren't gonna do that before.
And of course, no mention of the people who DIED.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:06 pm
brian wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:17 pm Good thing we have Trump to point out to Boeing that they should fix the issues with the plane. Pretty sure they weren't gonna do that before.
And of course, no mention of the people who DIED.
They were LOSERS.

Winners don't get on planes that crash. (And they were Indonesians and Ethiopians...)
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Redacted report is supposedly coming out on Thursday, and I thought this was an interesting find (unless one of you already mentioned it).

EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Some are pumping the breaks on the impact of this one because it will be so heavily redacted. And a note about the timing:

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah, I'm gonna disagree with that assessment. It's not like it's wall-to-wall Easter coverage on the Thursday before Easter. I agree though that the redactions will probably make any kind of serious evaluation impossible for the moment.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

I agree that timing of news dumps means little anymore with the way the media world changed, but I'm not sure the people doing the dumping realize that. I've also, read that heavy redaction is a good thing because it would means there are so many ongoing investigations/indictments. But I also read that from a source which indicates I've been on the internet too long and I'm wasting away a day off.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I would say this is about as close to a news dump as they could go without being super blatant.

And the piece that should be focused on isn't Easter/Passover, it's that they are going into recess. It's kind of hard to explain just how much the vibe up there swings around In Session and Recess.

This may seem really goofy, but just the fact that everyone goes into casual dress mode... People run at such a high clip and under so much stress, that it's like "School's out for summer" when recess comes around. 90 percent of the bosses head back to their districts, and they aren't going to be prattling on about this back there.

This is absolutely being done to mute the response to the report.

And fuck Barr. Guy is a piece of shit.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:47 pm I would say this is about as close to a news dump as they could go without being super blatant.

And the piece that should be focused on isn't Easter/Passover, it's that they are going into recess. It's kind of hard to explain just how much the vibe up there swings around In Session and Recess.

This may seem really goofy, but just the fact that everyone goes into casual dress mode... People run at such a high clip and under so much stress, that it's like "School's out for summer" when recess comes around. 90 percent of the bosses head back to their districts, and they aren't going to be prattling on about this back there.

This is absolutely being done to mute the response to the report.

And fuck Barr. Guy is a piece of shit.
So it'll be up to the media to interpret and keep this story alive for the following two weeks.

God help us.