Trump Admin Meltdown Thread Part III - A Democratic House

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Trump Admin Meltdown Thread Part III - A Democratic House

Post by Johnnie »

Ok, I had to read that. That didn't make sense to me. He isn't dissolving anything and combining power.

He's immediately putting every seat in Parliament up for election.

He ran exactly on that and he got 73% of the vote.

I was like, "I know this dude's a comedian, but this shit isn't funny."
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Johnnie wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 7:27 pm I can't wait to be retired so badly.

This was the thread that I read about this guy:

How do you think his SEAL team members, who are the guys who reported him, are feeling about all this?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I don't even know. Way back when SEALs did their job and kept their mouths shut, never getting involved with politics or worrying book deals.

But our current climate of everything injects people like them into the middle of it as if they are more suited to act on behalf of the military.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I have to imagine turning in a member of your own platoon would literally be one of the hardest things for a soldier to do, maybe even harder than engaging with the enemy (at least they're trained for that).

I guess I don't understand the rush to pardon this guy. Why not let the trial play out? Most military trials are weighted in favor of the plaintiff (this is one of the reasons why basically no one was punished at all for My Lai and why the soldiers involved in Abu Gharib got slaps on the wrist for "dereliction of duty").

If this guy is convicted in a military court, it seems likely that he's definitely guilty and should be sentence to life in a military prison.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

brian wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 11:59 amI guess I don't understand the rush to pardon this guy.
I take it as a message to the type of person who would fight on the side of a dictator. Legit one of the worst things that's happened under this admin.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

mister d wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:15 pm
brian wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 11:59 amI guess I don't understand the rush to pardon this guy.
I take it as a message to the type of person who would fight on the side of a dictator. Legit one of the worst things that's happened under this admin.
I think it’s as simple as that Trump is a vicious racist and Islamophobe who truly does not think there’s anything wrong with slaughtering civilians in the Muslim world. Didn’t he explicitly say during the campaign that we should kill the innocent family members of terrorism suspects? Also, he’s repeatedly shown that his default approach to politics is to fall back on racism against Latinos or Muslims.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This 100%

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Joe K wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:27 pmI think it’s as simple as that Trump is a vicious racist and Islamophobe who truly does not think there’s anything wrong with slaughtering civilians in the Muslim world. Didn’t he explicitly say during the campaign that we should kill the innocent family members of terrorism suspects? Also, he’s repeatedly shown that his default approach to politics is to fall back on racism against Latinos or Muslims.
I think so, too. It's the same mentality as bemoaning the fact that cops are no longer supposed to slam black kids' heads into the door frame when putting them in a squad car. Or bemoaning the fact that those five kids in Central Park weren't getting executed.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That is amazing!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Johnnie wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:35 pm
Garland is the Chief Judge of the D.C. Circuit, but that is mostly an administrative position. Cases are assigned to random panels of three judges in the order they are filed. So there's no reason to think he would get the case.

(Plus, I think if the case were assigned to him, he'd probably have to recuse.)
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Why would he have to recuse? The Trump Admin didn't keep him from his seat.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:36 am Why would he have to recuse? The Trump Admin didn't keep him from his seat.
Yeah, I doubt he'd have to recuse, but it's pretty unlikely he'd be named to the panel that hears the appeal though like Steve said.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:43 am
A_B wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:36 am Why would he have to recuse? The Trump Admin didn't keep him from his seat.
Yeah, I doubt he'd have to recuse, but it's pretty unlikely he'd be named to the panel that hears the appeal though like Steve said.
You don't think his impartiality could reasonably be called into question? I certainly do. The Republican Party fucked him over. I can't imagine he doesn't want to fuck them back.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I mean ...
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:34 pm
You don't think his impartiality could reasonably be called into question? I certainly do. The Republican Party fucked him over. I can't imagine he doesn't want to fuck them back.
I suppose that's a matter of possible debate, but federal judges are assumed to be impartial regardless of the circumstances of a case and you know as well it would be very uncommon/unlikely to successfully question a judge's integrity if the judge elects not to recuse themselves. Gay judges hear cases about gay marriage and black judges hear cases about civil rights. It would be hard to see how this is any different. Like someone said, it's not like Trump specifically had anything to do with Merrick Garland. By the rationale that he feels aggrieved at the Republican Party it would be impossible for him to hear almost any case that might come up in his court.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

So a DC Circuit Appeals Court Judge should have to recuse himself from every case with political implications? That's a very steep burden. Sure, if he rules against Trump some people will cry foul, but a majority of cases in the DC Circuit could have an argument made the Republicans would prefer one outcome, and Garland is getting revenge. Justice Thomas refused to recuse himself on a case that his wife served on the Board of one of the parties in the case.

I've seen dozens of people celebrate that this case is before Garland's Circuit, but Garland isn't some Liberal messiah who will deliver us from Trump. It seems like Liberals keep latching on to saviors, but Garland is a center-right Judge with integrity. I expect he will follow his interpretation of the law, and not serve any Liberal agendas.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:49 pm
So a DC Circuit Appeals Court Judge should have to recuse himself from every case with political implications? That's a very steep burden. Sure, if he rules against Trump some people will cry foul, but a majority of cases in the DC Circuit could have an argument made the Republicans would prefer one outcome, and Garland is getting revenge. Justice Thomas refused to recuse himself on a case that his wife served on the Board of one of the parties in the case.

I've seen dozens of people celebrate that this case is before Garland's Circuit, but Garland isn't some Liberal messiah who will deliver us from Trump. It seems like Liberals keep latching on to saviors, but Garland is a center-right Judge with integrity. I expect he will follow his interpretation of the law, and not serve any Liberal agendas.
Not every case with "political implications." But a case that goes to the very heart of the balance of power between the Republicans and Democrats.

The vast, vast majority of cases have no significant political implications. And most of the cases with political implications don't directly involve the political actors themselves.

Suppose a case went before Garland where Mitch McConnell was one of the parties. I think recusal would clearly be required. It's a very small step from McConnell to Trump.

The fact that Republican Supreme Court Justices don't follow these rules doesn't mean that Merrick Garland won't, or shouldn't.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Is there precedent for self-recusal over perception of political bias versus actual conflict of interest or would this just be caving to the right (probably now and in the future)? I can just imagine how quickly "GARLAND MUST RECUSE!" would turn to "if Garland recused over such a weak connection, how can _______ not recuse over _______???"
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I guess my thought is if he were one of the ones to hear it, the GOP will absolutely call for his recusal. And he should refuse, stating that with so little time before the next election, it is imperative that the court makes a decision on this president before the end of his term. Also, recusing after GOP complains will look like and be touted as a huge win by the GOP.

ETA: I know it lacks a "lame duck" aspect, but to insinuate as much would be petty and fun.
Last edited by A_B on Tue May 21, 2019 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

If he recuses himself it'll probably be because he doesn't want the drama more than some moral standard of duty.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Johnnie wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:32 pm This 100%

So surely Trump must have some high level military advising him on these War Criminal pardons, right?

...Never mind...
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pete Hegseth is the epitome of the worst traits a veteran can ever have. He's a level of human dogshit exactly no one should ever associate with.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:22 pm
The Sybian wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:49 pm

Not every case with "political implications." But a case that goes to the very heart of the balance of power between the Republicans and Democrats.

The vast, vast majority of cases have no significant political implications. And most of the cases with political implications don't directly involve the political actors themselves.

Suppose a case went before Garland where Mitch McConnell was one of the parties. I think recusal would clearly be required. It's a very small step from McConnell to Trump.

The fact that Republican Supreme Court Justices don't follow these rules doesn't mean that Merrick Garland won't, or shouldn't.
If a case came before Garland that directly involved McConnell, I would think he should recuse. In this case, there is no connection between Garland and Trump or Trump's businesses. If Garland recused for this, the GOP would call for all Dem-appointed Judges to recuse on everything.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:39 pm I guess my thought is if he were one of the ones to hear it, the GOP will absolutely call for his recusal. And he should refuse, stating that with so little time before the next election, it is imperative that the court makes a decision on this president before the end of his term. Also, recusing after GOP complains will look like and be touted as a huge win by the GOP.

ETA: I know it lacks a "lame duck" aspect, but to insinuate as much would be petty and fun.
He'd recuse himself before anyone even knew his name came up in the lottery. It happens all the time.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:56 pm
A_B wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:39 pm I guess my thought is if he were one of the ones to hear it, the GOP will absolutely call for his recusal. And he should refuse, stating that with so little time before the next election, it is imperative that the court makes a decision on this president before the end of his term. Also, recusing after GOP complains will look like and be touted as a huge win by the GOP.

He'd recuse himself before anyone even knew his name came up in the lottery. It happens all the time.
Steve you gotta get over this "people should do the right thing" bent!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

People should do the right thing for those who would do the right thing in turn or for those without power. That's why you don't defend Franken but would defend recusal calls against Garland.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

(Choosing not to audit.)
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:52 pm

(Choosing not to audit.)
The parallels with Watergate have been there in pretty stark relief the whole time. The issue is that with Watergate, the tapes came out and forced everyone's hand. With this batch of electeds, you'd need the pee tape or something of similar magnitude to move the needle. These guys are 1000x more corrupt. The Mueller Report lays out dozens of impeachable offenses and these fuckholes are fully supporting an AG that wants to investigate the investigators.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

If Fox News existed at the time of Watergate then Nixon wouldn't have resigned.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Johnnie wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:41 am If Fox News existed at the time of Watergate then Nixon wouldn't have resigned.
Probably not. It helps to have your own Pravda to help germinate mis-direction/information, deflect and hell, even propose new courses of action.

What a warped time we're in.
Noli Timere Messorem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:41 am If Fox News existed at the time of Watergate then Nixon wouldn't have resigned.
That was Roger Ailes' inspiration. He worked for Nixon, and his idea was to create "GOP TV" to help formulate a better media image for Nixon, because he came across so poorly on TV. Then after Watergate, Ailes wanted to create a propaganda machine to make sure they could alter the media narrative.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The percentage of the country that watches Fox News is pretty immaterial overall, no? Hannity is Fox's top rated show at 3.3MM; if you pretend that's actually like 3x as many with people not tuning in every night, its still just like 4% of american adults.

Now if you're talking about the overall effect of Fox on the news normalizing the party's actions ...
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

mister d wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:59 am The percentage of the country that watches Fox News is pretty immaterial overall, no? Hannity is Fox's top rated show at 3.3MM; if you pretend that's actually like 3x as many with people not tuning in every night, its still just like 4% of american adults.

Now if you're talking about the overall effect of Fox on the news normalizing the party's actions ...
But they still often drive the narrative, especially when they provide talking points and "issues" that are echoed by members of Congress and the white house. I've heard many stories on NPR and debate questions which were initially promoted by the Fox News machine.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Mister D, you're greatly discrediting social media shares of segments from Fox News and the Conservative Outrage Machine Media organizations like OANN, The Blaze..etc.

And the bedrock of Conservative Rage in AM radio with Michael Savage, Rush Limbaugh...etc. have been seeping into the public consciousness for the past couple decades.

I promise you, 18 year old me living in Shreveport with the Conservative types that joined the military were absolutely propagandized be talk radio. They sucked Bush's cock at every turn. Then when social media came about at the beginning of Obama, that hysteria manifested the Outage Organizations. So once you have Clinton v Trump in 2016 it was the perfect storm. Some milquetoast schmuck like Jeb or Mitt (Christ, look at their names, ffs) isn't going to work when Trump was the natural evolution. He was the singular intersection of the idiocy of all hysterical media and the White Victimhood Complex of the voting base dying to be recognized.

Fox News is the major league. All others are the minors. But they certainly call up conspiracy theories from time to time to please the base.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:35 am Mister D, you're greatly discrediting social media shares of segments from Fox News and the Conservative Outrage Machine Media organizations like OANN, The Blaze..etc.

And the bedrock of Conservative Rage in AM radio with Michael Savage, Rush Limbaugh...etc. have been seeping into the public consciousness for the past couple decades.

I promise you, 18 year old me living in Shreveport with the Conservative types that joined the military were absolutely propagandized be talk radio. They sucked Bush's cock at every turn. Then when social media came about at the beginning of Obama, that hysteria manifested the Outage Organizations. So once you have Clinton v Trump in 2016 it was the perfect storm. Some milquetoast schmuck like Jeb or Mitt (Christ, look at their names, ffs) isn't going to work when Trump was the natural evolution. He was the singular intersection of the idiocy of all hysterical media and the White Victimhood Complex of the voting base dying to be recognized.

Fox News is the major league. All others are the minors. But they certainly call up conspiracy theories from time to time to please the base.
Completely agree with everything you said, just wanted to add that Fox served as an anchor for the GOP to formulate their talking points and keep everyone on an identical message. It's easy for Congressmen to all perpetuate the same lie when Fox is running the message on a loop with 6 different "personalities" repeating the same trope. Fox started 20 years ago convincing their viewers that all MSM sources were Liberal propaganda, which set the table for Trump to label all criticism as fake news.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:01 pm
Johnnie wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:35 am Mister D, you're greatly discrediting social media shares of segments from Fox News and the Conservative Outrage Machine Media organizations like OANN, The Blaze..etc.

Completely agree with everything you said, just wanted to add that Fox served as an anchor for the GOP to formulate their talking points and keep everyone on an identical message. It's easy for Congressmen to all perpetuate the same lie when Fox is running the message on a loop with 6 different "personalities" repeating the same trope. Fox started 20 years ago convincing their viewers that all MSM sources were Liberal propaganda, which set the table for Trump to label all criticism as fake news.
Ultimately, this is why I don't think Mueller testifying, or impeachment/inquiry hearings, will have much more of an impact than the Mueller Report. Millions of people will be told that witness testimony was great for the President, millions more will be told it proved the President committed crimes, and even more millions will throw up their hands and bemoan all the partisan bickering.

And three weeks later, all the hearings will be forgotten.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »