Trump Admin Meltdown Thread Part III - A Democratic House

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Trump Admin Meltdown Thread Part III - A Democratic House

Post by brian »

And I know Mr. D especially doesn't want to hear this, but the Democrats are going to gain a lot in the end by waiting for more impeachable conduct to come out. If they had impeached him in June and then this came out were they going to impeach him again? This gets all of the GOP congresscritters on the record for all time and will have Trump shaking with rage over the next month or so. This is a big, big fucking win even if Pelosi fell assbackwards into it.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Nice post, Brian.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I gave her too much credit earlier in the summer, but even a shitty QB can win a few games if things break right. Was dumb luck for Trump to basically admit to doing crimes and making this the easiest political decision most of these simpering weaklings will ever have.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

brian wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:15 pmIf they had impeached him in June and then this came out were they going to impeach him again?
Assuming you meant June of 2017 and then left out the other June and all the other months other than June - Yes?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

AND ... that same logic dictates we should hold today because its an absolute certainty that by February 2020 he will have committed yet another clearly impeachable offense to add to the pile.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:22 pm AND ... that same logic dictates we should hold today because its an absolute certainty that by February 2020 he will have committed yet another clearly impeachable offense to add to the pile.
The best time to do this was always this fall 12 months before the election. Trump just made it from a Stephon Curry free throw into a James Harden slam dunk. That's pretty much the only difference.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

To follow your NBA analogy, who is the Dem who is going to pick up the foul on Harden?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:40 pm To follow your NBA analogy, who is the Dem who is going to pick up the foul on Harden?
It will be interesting to see if any centrist Dems elect to not impeach. I don't doubt they'll have the votes but Pelosi might allow some of them in toss-up districts to vote no. That said, I still think they'll get the entire caucus to vote for impeachment. I think if they do this, they should be united. It sends the wrong message if some of them do the politically expedient thing as opposed to the Constitutional thing.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

(Could James Harden even make 90% of his dunk attempts?)

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Me when my four year old cleans up her magnets after her 7th final warning.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Ryan wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:33 pm
brian wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:15 pmIf they had impeached him in June and then this came out were they going to impeach him again?
Assuming you meant June of 2017 and then left out the other June and all the other months other than June - Yes?
Literally the soonest the House could have impeached was about February 2019 (short of Republicans actually caring about Trump's crimes).

Realistically the soonest they could have impeached was immediately after the release of the Mueller Report in April 2019. Waiting a few extra months did suck a little but getting there late is better than not getting there at all.

(Now the interesting battle is going to be how many and what specific articles of impeachment are voted on. Could just be the Ukraine thing or could emcompass the full range of crimes he's committed (obstruction, etc.)
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

As a non-lawyer...

Wouldn't it be best to keep the focus narrow?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Can Moscow Mitch just ignore it like he does bills that are passed? I feel like there should be a response required of some sort.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Since the Senate isn't going to convict, they might as well have multiple charges, just laid out in a clear, concise manner. The whole point here is to apply pressure so he either quits or loses in 2020, along with the GOP going down with him. If the charges are clear and concise, and the coward GOP Senators still vote to acquit, that's on them.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pelosi just officially announced the impeachment inquiry. I'm looking forward to these dumb fucks in the GOP having to put their reputations on the line for all of history in supporting this asshole.

This is like Christmas and Opening Day rolled into one.

ETA: This. These fucking morons are not playing 3D chess, they're not even playing checkers. They're just shitting in their hands and wiping it on the board and calling it a game.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

So you mean the way to stop being bullied is to stand up for yourself against the bully because the bully is actually a paper tiger? Weird how that works.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Mr. Cynical would like to predict the unanimous senate request is nothing more than laying the groundwork for "this doesn't say what the Dems want you to think it does (and also what it clearly does) and we're obviously operating in good faith as evidenced by us calling for the transcripts". Refusing to call looks bad, refusing to acknowledge the contents is the gray they live off.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Yep, he’s beating this rap.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Rex wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:32 pm

Yep, he’s beating this rap.
BRB, pouring life savings into Sharpie stock.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If he does or somehow orchestrated this whole thing to his benefit then I might finally have to begrudgingly admit he’s a political genius. Still, he’s already basically admitted to seeking the help of a foreign government to investigate a political rival. I’m not sure what could possibly be in the complaint/transcripts to change that story.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I’m guessing that the strategy will be to say that Biden and his kid were doing illegal acts in the Ukraine. He’ll admit asking the Ukraine to investigate them, but say it was because of his concern for the rule of law. He’ll try to shift the focus on to the alleged illegal acts of the Bidens.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ah, but the Dems and fourth estate won’t allow for them to use minor parsing of phrases and obfuscation to avoid consequences!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

It almost seems like the whistleblower thing had to be orchestrated at this point. Cynicism expects no bounds.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

(This is totally going to be like the “actually, the deflator meant ...” nonsense.)
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Did everyone just go "This is going nowhere and it's a trap, we're fucked" all of a sudden?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Define “all of a sudden”?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

We've been clamoring for impeachment, get it, and then flip. So, all of a sudden, it seems like we got what we wanted and then decided it isn't good enough.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Oh, it’s what I wanted and finally the right thing, I just don’t think there should be any optimism at all about how the republicans respond.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

(And when impeachment fails, I promise not to second guess the decision to act.)
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:31 pm (And when impeachment fails, I promise not to second guess the decision to act.)
As long as he's convicted in the House, yes. There is no realistic scenario where the Senate convicts and he's removed from office.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Eventual numerical “proof” that it cost electoral votes or senate seats is really my only failure metric. Not really expecting much progress on the remove-from-office front. For now it’s just the thought that counts, unfortunately.

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ryan wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:38 pm Eventual numerical “proof” that it cost electoral votes or senate seats is really my only failure metric. Not really expecting much progress on the remove-from-office front. For now it’s just the thought that counts, unfortunately.
Right. I reserve the right to bitch about the process and messaging.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

mister d wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:12 pm Mr. Cynical would like to predict the unanimous senate request is nothing more than laying the groundwork for "this doesn't say what the Dems want you to think it does (and also what it clearly does) and we're obviously operating in good faith as evidenced by us calling for the transcripts". Refusing to call looks bad, refusing to acknowledge the contents is the gray they live off.
Halfway home on this one, it would seem.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I mean, from what I can tell this looks damning.

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

mister d wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:15 am
mister d wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:12 pm Mr. Cynical would like to predict the unanimous senate request is nothing more than laying the groundwork for "this doesn't say what the Dems want you to think it does (and also what it clearly does) and we're obviously operating in good faith as evidenced by us calling for the transcripts". Refusing to call looks bad, refusing to acknowledge the contents is the gray they live off.
Halfway home on this one, it would seem.
I’m guessing the GOP line on the transcript will be that everything is fine because Trump did not explicitly condition future aid on an investigation of the Bidens.

Also, in reading Zelensky’s comments on the call it’s pretty striking how easily foreign leaders have figured Trump out. All you need to do is mimic his language and drop some praise of Trump Tower, and Trump will think you’re the world’s greatest leader.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah, this is damning in and of itself and certainly impeachable. I'm certain the whistleblower report is much worse.

But I can't imagine anyone is surprised the GOP in the Senate are going to make a mockery on the process, but I still think that's more likely to blow up in their face than the other way around.

I get the standard arguments about the GOP base and hurr durr, but there's going to be a very clear distinction between how the Democrats will do this -- having hearings, gathering evidence, respecting impeachment as a serious legal preceding, arguably the most serious legal proceeding that can be undertaken in the United States of America with how the GOP is going to obfuscate and possibly not even have an actual trial in the Senate like a banana republic would.

There's plenty of stupid Americans, but there's plenty who understand the difference between the two approaches as well. It would be wise in my opinion for the Senate to treat the matter seriously and then have their stupid vote to acquit. Making a mockery of the proceeding is likely to blow up in their face more than bringing impeachment in the first place.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This we agree on.