Trump Admin Meltdown Thread Part III - A Democratic House

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

tennbengal
The Dude

Re: Trump Admin Meltdown Thread Part III - A Democratic House

Post by tennbengal »

Shirley wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:12 pm I gotta say, while it was weird of Trump to draw on the hurricane map, it was also unnecessary to make a big deal out of him saying Alabama. If that projection he drew on had held for another day, Alabama would have been in the predicted affected area. He wasn't wrong about that. Now, maybe he said it after the path had changed (I don't know), but in the range of Trump gaffes, this doesn't rate at all.
Dave. I am about to go weather nerd on you.

It was NEVER with Alabama in the cone. Never. The cone was not gonna extend that way - the storm was always a recurver - question was whether it would be over Florida before it recurved. He used a map from Aug. 29 YESTERDAY and drew additions to it that the NHC pros didn't put there BECAUSE IT WAS NOT A THREAT TO HEAD INLAND IN THAT DIRECTION.

He only did this because his tweet was ignorant as shit and for some reason actually seems to have some traction for a change.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:50 amSeriously.

If it was the President of Turkmenistan or Fiji or wherever, that clip would have been aired on "The Daily Show" and people would have laughed over the two-bit cheesiness of it.
We're seriously at EAT DA POO POO levels of broken brain with this guy only for Fox News to jump at the chance to go "Well, when you look at the internet it's always #AssEatingSZN and surely the Democrats enable such behavior because they have to play identity politics with the gay agenda. Our Dear Perfect Christian leader is tired of the politics and is trying to stop it."

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Also, this Sharpie nonsense is a great distraction from the fact that there's a whistleblower at the IRS.

Of course this story is over 2 weeks old at this point, but it's the first I'm hearing about it.

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:25 am
Shirley wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:12 pm I gotta say, while it was weird of Trump to draw on the hurricane map, it was also unnecessary to make a big deal out of him saying Alabama. If that projection he drew on had held for another day, Alabama would have been in the predicted affected area. He wasn't wrong about that. Now, maybe he said it after the path had changed (I don't know), but in the range of Trump gaffes, this doesn't rate at all.

It was NEVER with Alabama in the cone. Never. The cone was not gonna extend that way - the storm was always a recurver - question was whether it would be over Florida before it recurved. He used a map from Aug. 29 YESTERDAY and drew additions to it that the NHC pros didn't put there BECAUSE IT WAS NOT A THREAT TO HEAD INLAND IN THAT DIRECTION.

He only did this because his tweet was ignorant as shit and for some reason actually seems to have some traction for a change.
Yeah, of course I remember the curve. I pointed the storm right at my condo (which it apparently decided it could just head straight for instead to save time). I thought it caught some Alabama down there as part of that path, because it would be hard not to.

Again, to me, that's a really trivia Trump gaffe. Not even top ten for the past month. Sometimes it's best not to cry wolf every time you see something that looks like a wolf when you know there are real wolves just out of sight.
Totally Kafkaesque
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:57 am
BTW, this video was incredible. I had not seen that before.
Totally Kafkaesque
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Shirley wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:39 pm
tennbengal wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:25 am

Yeah, of course I remember the curve. I pointed the storm right at my condo (which it apparently decided it could just head straight for instead to save time). I thought it caught some Alabama down there as part of that path, because it would be hard not to.

Again, to me, that's a really trivia Trump gaffe. Not even top ten for the past month. Sometimes it's best not to cry wolf every time you see something that looks like a wolf when you know there are real wolves just out of sight.
So basically you're asking the country to stop acting like the president is a complete dumbfuck who calls press conferences days after the fact to defend a mistake he made in a tweet by literally drawing with a sharpie a fake forecasted hurricane path? Come on, man.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Giff wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:46 pmSo basically you're asking the country to stop acting like the president is a complete dumbfuck who calls press conferences days after the fact to defend a mistake he made in a tweet by literally drawing with a sharpie a fake forecasted hurricane path? Come on, man.
No, I'm saying the initial (and continuing) reaction to his saying Alabama was over the top and overly literal. Trump's reaction to the reaction was ridiculous, as usual. Making fun of him drawing another circle in Sharpie is totally called for.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Without the initial "overreaction" to Trump contradicting the NWS, there's no sharpie incident. I'd argue more, not less, attempts at making him look and feel stupid are warranted.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

mister d wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:52 pm Without the initial "overreaction" to Trump contradicting the NWS, there's no sharpie incident. I'd argue more, not less, attempts at making him look and feel stupid are warranted.
Fair, although he provides no shortage of more significant mistakes as well.
Totally Kafkaesque
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

...and we're off

Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

One hour ago - clearly this twat has nothing to do at work other than nurse grievances. (And the responses to his tweet show how misleading it is).

ETA:

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Deadspin on the Concourse with their take

Whether it matters to you or not that these projections had all “long been ruled out” by the time Trump was briefed on August 29 depends on a number of factors and your capacity for being outraged by the stupid things that one soggy old dullard does on the daily. That there is a law against lying about the weather under color of the National Weather Service—the penalty is a fine or 90 days in jail—clearly doesn’t matter at all, at least insofar as there are so many more significant crimes than Criminal Executive Storm Inflation on Trump’s docket and also because no one currently appears to be doing much about those. It is clear, though, that this all matters to Trump a great deal. More, certainly, than the progress of the storm itself, or any of the many other issues that might have attracted the attention of more distractible chief executive.

The extent to which this perseverating dovetails with any of Trump’s broader strategic goals—which it does, at least in the sense that he has lately leaned heavily on the idea that the Fake News is trying to convince you that he was wrong about the weather, when in point of fact he has never been wrong about the weather and has a lot of experience with it—is, as usual, purely incidental. The extent to which the fixation reflects a longstanding approach on Trump’s part, which it does in the sense that he has never admitted any error, is notable mostly because everything that Trump does “reflects a longstanding approach.”

Nothing about the man has changed since 1991 or so, but various aspects of his personality have grown, or metastasized. He has always had a taste for big things, and an irresistible urge to associate himself with them. In another universe, Trump would be online claiming to be “very close friends” with Dorian, or offering to broker a deal with the hurricane to prevent it from Doing Hurt to the southeast. In this one, he is just doing what he does—taking some foolish falsehood that he prefers to the truth and insisting upon it, over and over, until it is just him talking to himself, agreeing with himself, congratulating himself, and then waiting for someone to come along and make it true for him.
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Jesus Christ - as Enoch posted:
he is just doing what he does—taking some foolish falsehood that he prefers to the truth and insisting upon it, over and over, until it is just him talking to himself, agreeing with himself, congratulating himself, and then waiting for someone to come along and make it true for him.
Because there's now this...

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

OH. MY. FUCKING. CHRIST. THAT TWEET IS 6 DAYS OLD.

LITERALLY 2 DAYS AGO. I'M NOT YELLING, YOU'RE YELLING.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Iceland is one of the coolest places I’ve ever been. And that was long before I knew about this.

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

That’s the lamest prepper kit ive ever seen
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I was bummed when Keflavik Air Base closed because I would've liked to be stationed there.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Pence Trolled
It was initially reported that Prime Minister Katrin Jakobsdottir would not be in town during Pence’s visit, sparking applause from critics of the administration who saw the move as a deliberate snub (Jakobsdottir said it was not, and wound up meeting him on Wednesday.) When the vice president, a conservative Christian and an opponent of same-sex marriage, arrived on the island, he was met with a flurry of rainbow flags, an oft-used symbol of LGBTQ pride.

Johannesson (Iceland's President) and his wife Eliza Reid also reportedly wore rainbow bracelets during their meeting with Pence.
Pence probably spent the flight home on his knees praying for strength after being in such a heathen land.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Pruitt wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:10 am Pence probably spent the flight home on his knees furiously emailing his brother after being in such a heathen land.
Fixed it for ya....
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Day 5 of Trump's Alabama obsession...

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:20 pm Day 5 of Trump's Alabama obsession...

This is like how he constantly mentions the electoral college vote and finishes the sentence with "Hillary is still obsessed with the election."
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

He’s still at it. He had NOAA disavow their Alabama office’s tweet. He’s insane.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:53 pm He’s still at it. He had NOAA disavow their Alabama office’s tweet. He’s insane.
Who Said It - Trump of Grandpa Simpson?
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

EdRomero wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:46 pm
Every few days something comes up that makes you say "How is this the new normal?"
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:21 pm
EdRomero wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:46 pm
Every few days something comes up that makes you say "How is this the new normal?"
Or every 35 minutes, one could say.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So weird, it’s like laws don’t enforce themselves and those with opposition power simply won’t. Makes you wonder just how epic Pelosi’s epic long game will be.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Fucking bonkers.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"Lickspittle" is a word that should be used more often to describe the idiots in D.C.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I know anyone who pays attention closely enough knew that we negotiate with terrorists, but I'd like to thank the president for declassifying it by tweet.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The President retweeted this.

I had no idea that "Idiocracy" was a documentary.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

To be fair, CNN is kitty litter.

And Jeff Zucker absolutely loves it.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:54 am I know anyone who pays attention closely enough knew that we negotiate with terrorists, but I'd like to thank the president for declassifying it by tweet.
Inviting the fucking taliban to come the week of 9/11 is some tone deaf shit on a different level. Like, ultrasonic or something.

(Or course, inviting them at all is absurd and reeks of Nobel hunting.)
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:17 pm
Johnnie wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:54 am I know anyone who pays attention closely enough knew that we negotiate with terrorists, but I'd like to thank the president for declassifying it by tweet.
Inviting the fucking taliban to come the week of 9/11 is some tone deaf shit on a different level. Like, ultrasonic or something.

Not nearly as tone deaf as the asshole who called into a local news show a few hours after the towers fell to brag that since the towers fell, he now owns the tallest building in downtown (despite there beingl another building taller than his).
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That didn't occur to me.

Shall I ask the proverbial question that starts with "Can you imagine if Obama...?"
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Man, I knew the intelligence community has probably been full of anxiety and worry since even before 2016, but having to extract a top spy from Russia because the president disclosed classified shit to Russians most be unreal.

And the fact that no one can blow the whistle in the moment is scary.

I can only imagine what other fires we don't know about.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

This story just continues to get more and more moronic...

Commerce Chief Threatened Firings at NOAA After Trump’s Dorian Tweets, Sources Say
The Secretary of Commerce threatened to fire top employees at the federal scientific agency responsible for weather forecasts last Friday after the agency’s Birmingham office contradicted President Trump’s claim that Hurricane Dorian might hit Alabama, according to three people familiar with the discussion.

That threat led to an unusual, unsigned statement later that Friday by the agency, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, disavowing the National Weather Service’s position that Alabama was not at risk. The reversal caused widespread anger within the agency and drew accusations from the scientific community that the National Weather Service, which is part of NOAA, had been bent to political purposes.
Serious question: Why would the Commerce Sec'y threaten people at NOAA? Is NOAA part of the Commerce department?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I may be the only one....but to me its obvious Trump wanted to invite them to Camp David, get them to sign some piece of paper, and then have his Carter/Sadat/Begin photo op, declaring peace on 9/11. Never mind if the piece of paper actually changed anything...it was all about that photo op (and possible Nobel Prize).