Trump Admin Meltdown Thread Part III - A Democratic House

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Trump Admin Meltdown Thread Part III - A Democratic House

Post by sancarlos »

You know, we in the Swamp spend a lot of time wringing our hands, asking ourselves "How can there be so many people so stupid as to support Trump?" It isn't just racism, or his support of guns and opposition to abortion (although those are also key factors). I think another thing is just the fact that he spews out lies, his supporters spew out lies, and the public laps it up, uncritically.

As example, this meme was posted on FB by a guy I went to high school with. I unfollowed him long ago, but got a notice that today is his birthday, so I took a look at his FB page and found the meme. I don't know all the exact facts, but i do know that Trump inherited an economy on the upswing, while Obama came in having to repair an economy that was savaged in 2008, which explains the GDP, job creation and unemployment numbers (assuming they are even close to correct!) Using first year stats cherry-picks the data. And, I'm fairly certain that the job approval and deficit numbers are inaccurate.

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Turning Point USA is garbage even by the standards of GOP hacks.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Avenatti arrested on felony DV.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Not good of course, but his 15 minutes being up is not the worst thing in the world.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:45 pm He thinks people write checks to pay for groceries.

And look, the media has already forgotten his embarrassing shitshow in France.
The problem is, how do you adequately cover this shitshow of a Presidency? If you continue talking about yesterday's scandal, you miss today's. You can't ignore his blatant lies, but covering them takes away from covering a bigger scandal. Slow-moving horrors like the destruction of the EPA is immensely important, but how do you keep that in the news when there is new shit every day?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:17 pm Not good of course, but his 15 minutes being up is not the worst thing in the world.
Bubbled up from the sewer, and back down he goes.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:03 pm
sancarlos wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:45 pm He thinks people write checks to pay for groceries.

The problem is, how do you adequately cover this shitshow of a Presidency? If you continue talking about yesterday's scandal, you miss today's. You can't ignore his blatant lies, but covering them takes away from covering a bigger scandal. Slow-moving horrors like the destruction of the EPA is immensely important, but how do you keep that in the news when there is new shit every day?
Trump is the living embodiment of the 'Gish Gallop" technique.
During a Gish gallop, a debater confronts an opponent with a rapid series of many specious arguments, half-truths, and misrepresentations in a short space of time, which makes it impossible for the opponent to refute all of them within the format of a formal debate.[3][4] In practice, each point raised by the "Gish galloper" takes considerably more time to refute or fact-check than it did to state in the first place.[5] The technique wastes an opponent's time and may cast doubt on the opponent's debating ability for an audience unfamiliar with the technique, especially if no independent fact-checking is involved[6] or if the audience has limited knowledge of the topics.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I think, had the media established while Trump was still a candidate that statements were lies or racist, using those words, we would hopefully be in a different spot.

Not racially-tinged. Not misleading. Not untrue. Not inflammatory.

Use the actual words.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:21 pm

Trump is the living embodiment of the 'Gish Gallop" technique.
During a Gish gallop, a debater confronts an opponent with a rapid series of many specious arguments, half-truths, and misrepresentations in a short space of time, which makes it impossible for the opponent to refute all of them within the format of a formal debate.[3][4] In practice, each point raised by the "Gish galloper" takes considerably more time to refute or fact-check than it did to state in the first place.[5] The technique wastes an opponent's time and may cast doubt on the opponent's debating ability for an audience unfamiliar with the technique, especially if no independent fact-checking is involved[6] or if the audience has limited knowledge of the topics.

Holy shit.

Gish Gallop is going to need a lot more run. Let's start making this happen.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

We can't make this happen in part because we don't have a public platform to even begin the campaign which includes this website which is blocked behind a paywall to anyone who isn't registered and beyond that under the Geneva (Sweden) Convention it would be slander to post about the president being a racist if he himself hasn't acknowledged himself to be a racist atleast three (3) times and even if it weren't the word Gish cannot be used to explain the technique as it was already trademarked by Smashing Pumpkins' back in 2010 when they released the album Gish to little critical acclaim partially due to their lead singer Eddie Vedder's involvement in the murder of Kurt Cobain and later also his widow Kristen Pfaff.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:35 am We can't make this happen in part because we don't have a public platform to even begin the campaign which includes this website which is blocked behind a paywall to anyone who isn't registered and beyond that under the Geneva (Sweden) Convention it would be slander to post about the president being a racist if he himself hasn't acknowledged himself to be a racist atleast three (3) times and even if it weren't the word Gish cannot be used to explain the technique as it was already trademarked by Smashing Pumpkins' back in 2010 when they released the album Gish to little critical acclaim partially due to their lead singer Eddie Vedder's involvement in the murder of Kurt Cobain and later also his widow Kristen Pfaff.
Even knowing the obvious joke here, this set off some sort of OCD trigger and I need to punch someone.

To make it more GOP/Conservative relevant, need to throw in a George Soros conspiracy.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Writing it bothered the hell out of me so knowing it upset someone else makes it worth it.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

If the hyper-competent crew from the botched Mueller story a couple of weeks ago really is behind the Avenatti arrest, then there's a non-0% chance he's being setup.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:36 pm If the hyper-competent crew from the botched Mueller story a couple of weeks ago really is behind the Avenatti arrest, then there's a non-0% chance he's being setup.
Yeah, that one is starting to stink a little bit.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Its certainly possible and, if that's the case, the real trap might be for people on the left to knee-jerk defend Avenatti when they automatically believe anyone accusing a conservative.

(I could go either way. Avenatti is slimy in some form, just don't know which.)
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:46 pm Its certainly possible and, if that's the case, the real trap might be for people on the left to knee-jerk defend Avenatti when they automatically believe anyone accusing a conservative.
That was absolutely the ploy with Mueller, and it 100% would have worked had their story not fallen apart after a couple minutes of scrutiny.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Avenatti would to me be the perfect guy to take down Trump. Trump is a pig, and the best person to fight a pig in the mud is a bigger wild boar. Trump isn't smart or sophisticated enough to be taken down with reason. That's one reason I roll my eyes with the whole "when they go low, we go high" strategy. It worked great for Senator John Fox, right?

A comparison here that just came to me was the movie Shane. Jack Palance's black hat couldn't have been taken down by that kid's dad because the dad was too principled. Only another gunfighter who lived in the mud like Shane could've taken him down.

(A fantastic movie to add to your list, btw. Sorry for spoiling a 60 year old movie).
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'd kind of held off reading the "this is a list of all the stuff Dems are going to investigate" stories for a bit. I'm going through a few of them now, and... Holy shit is this administration fucked.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/pl ... 3785da44a9
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

mister d wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:46 pm Its certainly possible and, if that's the case, the real trap might be for people on the left to knee-jerk defend Avenatti when they automatically believe anyone accusing a conservative.

Oh, he’s definitely slimy. It’s been established in court that he was living a lavish lifestyle and taking fancy vacations at the same time he owed a ton of money to former employees.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Avenatti was guilty of... well, anything. OTOH, that James O'Keefe asshat is still a free man, so anything is possible. Totally agree with LJam, that it will take slopping around in the mud with Trump in order to beat him, and I love seeing someone play Trump's game against him. I'm fairly confident that most Dems/Liberals won't anoint Avennati as a savior or vote for him even if he single handedly destroyed Trump.

Last night I realized a close friend went to law school with Avenatti. Doubt he knew him, but I need to ask.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

No, I agree he's the right type to engage, I just think he needs to be treated as a mercenary versus someone to be at all invested in.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:49 pm No, I agree he's the right type to engage, I just think he needs to be treated as a mercenary versus someone to be at all invested in.
100%, and I hope almost everyone agrees. Hitching our wagon to that POS is an ugly prospect that I hope Liberals are smart enough to grasp.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Same. He's fine trolling Trump from a (metaphorical) courtroom or a press conference. Anyone who seriously thinks this guy should be president of the United States is as dumb as any Trump supporter.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'll keep defending Pelosi and I've said it before and I'll say it again -- it would be worth having her as Speaker even if only for how much the right absolutely hates her.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The right would also hate and oppose someone more progressive but with the added bonus they'd be more progressive.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:22 pm The right would also hate and oppose someone more progressive but with the added bonus they'd be more progressive.
They'd still have wrangle the entire caucus no matter how progressive they are. You don't get bonus points on floor votes because of how progressive the Speaker is.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:22 pm The right would also hate and oppose someone more progressive but with the added bonus they'd be more progressive.
Sure.

Those fucking corporate centrists, with their voting against the Iraq War, saving Social Security, pushing through the greatest expansion of the welfare state in a generation (while everyone was freaking out about town halls and the loss of the Mass Senate seat), getting a climate change bill through a House dominated by Blue Dogs, repealing Don't Ask Don't Tell, regulating banks, and raising taxes on the rich.

Pelosi is in the leftward one-fourth of the Democratic caucus, and she is taking major heat from a bunch of centrist white guys saying they won't vote for her because she is too liberal and reflects San Francisco values (like the guy who may have beaten Mia Love in Utah). But those guys are going to be whipped into line by someone more progressive?

Who is going to be a better speaker than Pelosi? And what is the evidence they will be a better speaker than Pelosi?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:00 pm Avenatti would to me be the perfect guy to take down Trump. Trump is a pig, and the best person to fight a pig in the mud is a bigger wild boar. Trump isn't smart or sophisticated enough to be taken down with reason. That's one reason I roll my eyes with the whole "when they go low, we go high" strategy. It worked great for Senator John Fox, right?

A comparison here that just came to me was the movie Shane. Jack Palance's black hat couldn't have been taken down by that kid's dad because the dad was too principled. Only another gunfighter who lived in the mud like Shane could've taken him down.

(A fantastic movie to add to your list, btw. Sorry for spoiling a 60 year old movie).

Would Biden be enough of an attack dog? I cant see any of the other candidates being one.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

degenerasian wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:32 pm
L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:00 pm Avenatti would to me be the perfect guy to take down Trump. Trump is a pig, and the best person to fight a pig in the mud is a bigger wild boar. Trump isn't smart or sophisticated enough to be taken down with reason. That's one reason I roll my eyes with the whole "when they go low, we go high" strategy. It worked great for Senator John Fox, right?

Would Biden be enough of an attack dog? I cant see any of the other candidates being one.
I don’t buy the notion that the nominee needs to be an “attack dog.” The more important strategic question is: will he or she be strong in the specific swing states the Dems need to win the Electoral College. The Electoral College currently gives the GOP,a significant built-in structural advantage, as we saw in 2016. And I think the midterms reaffirmed that there are still only a handful of states likely to be truly up for grabs in 2020. Of those states, the three that are absolutely vital to the Dems are Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin. Win those three, and I’m almost certain you win the election, the way Virginia and Nevada have been turning blue. Jennifer Granholm and Sherrod Brown should consider running for this reason alone.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jennifer Granholm is ineligible to be president.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

brian wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:54 pm Jennifer Granholm is ineligible to be president.
Didn’t realize she was Canadian born. But anyways it should be someone with strong appeal in those states.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:46 pmWho is going to be a better speaker than Pelosi? And what is the evidence they will be a better speaker than Pelosi?
Isn't this just the political equivalent of "which coach would do better with this roster and also somehow prove it" when you're sitting outside the playoffs but hypothetically could be worse? I can't fathom, after the election we just saw and the candidates who just won or nearly won, thinking a legacy Dem with a net worth well into eight figures who was part of the leadership that lost to Donald Fucking Trump is worth taking another trip with. That's Biden 2020 logic.
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

Are Ohio Florida now red states? They used to swing election.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Eh. Sherrod Brown just walked and he's not a Manchin Dem.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

degenerasian wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:03 pm Are Ohio Florida now red states? They used to swing election.
Ohio, yes. Florida, no. There’s so few true swing states now the 2020 election will probably just be Trump and whoever barnstorming through Florida.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

mister d wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:10 pm Eh. Sherrod Brown just walked and he's not a Manchin Dem.
Brown is still doing well in Ohio because he’s a small town guy with close ties to organized labor. I think that brand plays a lot better in places like Ohio or Missouri than the national Democratic brand, which is dominated by big-city natives who are more comfortable hanging around Wall Street or Silicon Valley than in a union hall.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Joe K wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:58 pm
brian wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:54 pm Jennifer Granholm is ineligible to be president.
Didn’t realize she was Canadian born. But anyways it should be someone with strong appeal in those states.
Moved to my California at age four. Graduate of San Carlos High School, I shit you not!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:19 am
Moved to my California at age four. Graduate of San Carlos High School, I shit you not!
This is a great euphemism for all the lovely ladies you banged in high school.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:39 am
Where sancarlos was the only one to graduate with honors.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:21 am
A_B wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:39 am
Where sancarlos was the only one to graduate with honors.
Unfortunately, I had a very hard time finding any lovely ladies who wanted to attend "my" San Carlos High School.