Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

EnochRoot
The Dude

Re: Trump Admin Meltdown Thread Part III - A Democratic House

Post by EnochRoot »

Pruitt wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:35 pm
tennbengal wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:24 pm
tennbengal wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:27 pm So...collusion then.
Bump.
Doesn;t the fact that he supposedly directed Cohen to commit a felony present grounds for impeachment?
Of course. But I want the D House to pile subpoena upon subpoena on all this to make it public and idiot proof.
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pruitt...

Cadet* Bone Spurs.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:58 pm Pruitt...

Cadet* Bone Spurs.
Shit, of course!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Seth Abramson on the Comey transcripts: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1071 ... 37888.html
Not only did Peter Strzok write the letter that COST Clinton the election, he kept quiet a piece of closely held information that could have WON her the election. In short, no man at the FBI, save Comey, did more to put Trump in the White House than the man Trumpists despise.
Comey, Strzok, the NY FBI office did so much to hurt Hillary, and these are the guys Republicans are attacking for being Hillary supporters.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

There were many factors that caused Hillary to lose the election, but the insistence that it was only the FBI reopening the investigation as the only one is tiresome and lazy.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:18 am There were many factors that caused Hillary to lose the election, but the insistence that it was only the FBI reopening the investigation as the only one is tiresome and lazy.
No less lazy than #BernieBro who wanted to change the world by voting indifference.

I say that knowing full well that Clinton was *awful*.

Oh and FUCK Obama for now giving a fuck to realize the temperature on the street.

It’s hilarious how bad the Democrats are at shit like this.
Noli Timere Messorem
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

EnochRoot wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:00 am
Johnnie wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:18 am There were many factors that caused Hillary to lose the election, but the insistence that it was only the FBI reopening the investigation as the only one is tiresome and lazy.
No less lazy than #BernieBro who wanted to change the world by voting indifference.

Oh and FUCK Obama for now giving a fuck to realize the temperature on the street.

I know I’m a broken record on this, but it beats repeating: the percentage of Sanders supporters who voted for Clinton was much higher than the percentage of 2008 Clinton supporters who voted for Obama. Also, Sanders did a lot more campaign events for Clinton than Clinton did for Obama in that cycle. So it’s beyond tiresome for Clinton backers to blame Sanders, or to use the nonsensical term “Bernie Bro.” And it sure as hell won’t help in 2020 or beyond for centrist Dems to keep shitting on the activist wing of the party.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

She lost for so many reasons, but the conduct of the NY FBI office with conjunction of Guliani is worth examining, especially now that Trump has flipped the narrative to "the FBI was out to get me."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

EdRomero wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:45 am
She lost for so many reasons, but the conduct of the NY FBI office with conjunction of Guliani is worth examining, especially now that Trump has flipped the narrative to "the FBI was out to get me."
I agree 1,000% on this. But I've heard and read more about that being the catalyst of her losing from nearly all corners of the Democratic party than anything. It was everything from the Republicans playing strategic electoral math because population distribution is in their favor to little shit like "Pokemon Go to the polls." It's simply unfair to go "The FBI cost Hillary the presidency."
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:52 am
EdRomero wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:45 am
I agree 1,000% on this. But I've heard and read more about that being the catalyst of her losing from nearly all corners of the Democratic party than anything. It was everything from the Republicans playing strategic electoral math because population distribution is in their favor to little shit like "Pokemon Go to the polls." It's simply unfair to go "The FBI cost Hillary the presidency."
Also, most Democrats don’t want to acknowledge this, but maybe you shouldn’t clear the field for a candidate who everyone knew was under investigation if you’re concerned about the FBI having an impact. In a close election there are countless things that can be decisive, but the FBI’s investigation into Clinton was a known and obvious risk that the party chose to disregard.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

As a NJ resident, I can assure you the party has learned their lesson about supporting compromised establishment candidates.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

If Nick Ayers, the guy who ran Eric Greitens' campaign, doesn't want to be your chief of staff ...
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:30 pm If Nick Ayers, the guy who ran Eric Greitens' campaign, doesn't want to be your chief of staff ...
Would Lou Dobbs take the gig?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Joe K wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:01 am
EnochRoot wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:00 am

I know I’m a broken record on this, but it beats repeating: the percentage of Sanders supporters who voted for Clinton was much higher than the percentage of 2008 Clinton supporters who voted for Obama. Also, Sanders did a lot more campaign events for Clinton than Clinton did for Obama in that cycle. So it’s beyond tiresome for Clinton backers to blame Sanders, or to use the nonsensical term “Bernie Bro.” And it sure as hell won’t help in 2020 or beyond for centrist Dems to keep shitting on the activist wing of the party.
I'm sorry. I was three deep on Basil Hayden's Two by Two Rye last night when I posted that. I switched from IND to D to vote Sanders in the MD Primary. I don't like Clinton. I have a strong dislike for both her and Bill. But I voted for her. The courts are what matter, and #BernieBro lost sight of that. I hashtag #BernieBro because there's a huge swath of them just a shade to the center from Jill Stein's supporters, who would do it all over again knowing what happened re: Trump and Russia's subversion.

Some people just want to watch it burn if they don't get their way. That's who I was referring to.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Basil Hayden’s so good though.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A_B wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:01 pm Basil Hayden’s so good though.
Artfully aged, no less.

It's probably my favorite bourbon, though admittedly I don't have the most educated palette...
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

It’s a top five for me. I haven’t had rye though.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

More like two by two rye threads
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The mother fucking typos.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Meaning the "smocking gun?"
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:50 am Meaning the "smocking gun?"
x2
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A_B wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:31 pm
mister d wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:27 pm That's because you tend to use a lot of obscure or callback references in your humor.
Sometimes it's stuff no one knows or can't remember, though.
I'm glad we're having this discussion, because I thought I was the only one to not get a decent chunk of turd's jokes.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Maybe this point is played out, but what bugs me is the insistence that any one, single thing cost the election. Did the leak of out of the NYC FBI office contribute to the shit storm? Absolutely, without question Comey's letter re-opening the investigation, based on complete bullshit, played a role in solidifying Clinton's image as a criminal in the minds of many.

And all the other stuff we've been talking about for 2 years now. That stuff, too. Mostly racism and xenophobia. Disgruntled middle americans, too. Sure.

I just don't see why people get so binary on this stuff.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:42 am Maybe this point is played out, but what bugs me is the insistence that any one, single thing cost the election. Did the leak of out of the NYC FBI office contribute to the shit storm? Absolutely, without question Comey's letter re-opening the investigation, based on complete bullshit, played a role in solidifying Clinton's image as a criminal in the minds of many.

And all the other stuff we've been talking about for 2 years now. That stuff, too. Mostly racism and xenophobia. Disgruntled middle americans, too. Sure.

I just don't see why people get so binary on this stuff.
And with the election coming down to 0.5% in three states, any one of those factors was dispositive. The Comey letter especially - 538 did a deep dive on this. Bernie spending a year misleading people that Hillary was nothing but a corporate shill and that the Democratic primary was rigged because in some states the Democratic primary was limited to Democrats and in others the Democrats strongly preferred the Democrat. Hillary saying Black Lives Matter. Hillary's buckraking with Goldman Sachs or whoever. Trump's collusion with Karen McDougal and Stormy Daniels to conceal material information from the voters. Russian manipulation. The media's irresponsible focus on emails as if they were anything one-tenth as serious as Trump's routine corruption, dishonesty, and racism. Basket of Deplorables.

The list is endless. But when the election was as close as it was, saying "it wasn't this cause, it was the other one" is not a defense.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:50 am Meaning the "smocking gun?"
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, thanks Steve, I just didn't feel like dredging all that up. Like you kind of implied, that's just off the top of your head. There's a ton more to pile on that tire fire.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

That meeting today with the Democratic leadership was hilarious. It's hard to overstate just how dumb and bad at politics Trump is.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I assume he's just looking to use a shutdown as leverage to get Mueller concessions from his own party.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Still wish Pelosi and Schumer had come into that meeting with the intention of doing Michael Corleone's bit from Godfather II:

"You want our offer on wall funding? Our offer is this. Nothing."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:49 pm I assume he's just looking to use a shutdown as leverage to get Mueller concessions from his own party.
He's not that crafty. They don't have a plan for Mueller. He wanted a reality TV moment and he got it. That looked like a Real Housewives Reunion show. Literally.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Mike Pence looked like he had just shit himself, hoping nobody would notice the stink in the room.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Jeebus, it's like an Onion article come to life.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Honestly, another good reason to start election younger people (in both parties). These fucking fossils should not be responsible for regulating an industry that they don't even have a basic understanding of.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Who’s to say they knew what was reality but were saying that to pander to their base?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:00 pm Who’s to say they knew what was reality but were saying that to pander to their base?
Maybe, but Occam's Razor. Perhaps you've had more luck than I trying to walk your parents through using even the most basic functions of a smartphone.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If only for her Grade A ability to troll Trump and the GOP leadership, it's worth have Pelosi as Dem leader.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say if your attorney is going to jail that's not a good sign.

Edit.

There's always a tweet:

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Life don't work that way (getting what you want more than just about anything else in the world), but the schadenfreude if Donald Trump spends even a day in federal prison will be off the charts.

L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Brian, I believe you mean...

My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.