Home Repairs

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Home Repairs

Post by mister d »

I have had both the exact same W&D issues and ran a mower into confusing no oil status.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Name that tune.
Last edited by HaulCitgo on Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

N
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:36 pm I have had both the exact same W&D issues and ran a mower into confusing no oil status.
Me too, and a good reminder that I don't think I changed my mower's oil at the beginning of the season. Nothing like the sound of an engine seizing. Worse, it happened in my car while driving on Route 78 in rush hour traffic. Sprung a leak, check oil light came on, and I stupidly thought I could make it home. Merging from the middle lane to the shoulder with a seized steering wheel and coasting at 10 mph was fun, while every asshole blasted their horn passing on the right at 80mph.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Oh, I'd never do something that dumb.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Just another bumpy ride for The Sybian!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:20 am Just another bumpy ride for The Sybian!
Boom!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Verizon repair guy (1/2 hour late) took out the magic tool to open the service box on the side of my house, and the second more secretive panel inside of there, and the display has a big red light next to FAIL. Assuming this is on them.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

CALLING ALL TOILET BOYS!!!

A certain adult in my house, not me, decided to hold down the flusher for too long this AM and now the toilet won't fill, it just trickles in. If I turn the water off and then back on, it'll fill (making a screaming noise) but as soon as I flush its back to a trickle. What's the fuckin' deal?
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

mister d wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:06 pm CALLING ALL TOILET BOYS!!!

A certain adult in my house, not me, decided to hold down the flusher for too long this AM and now the toilet won't fill, it just trickles in. If I turn the water off and then back on, it'll fill (making a screaming noise) but as soon as I flush its back to a trickle. What's the fuckin' deal?
My guess is the tube that runs inside the toilet reservoir is getting restricted somehow. Check that tube (it's usually a small rubber tube) isn't kinked or otherwise getting interfered with the flapper or the arm that lifts the chain to lift the flapper.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I've done those cursory checks ... the thing that doesn't make sense (to me) is why it'll fill fine if I manually turn it on and off.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:06 pm ...my...w.i.f.e...s.h.it.s...in...bu.l.k...
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

mister d wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:20 pm I've done those cursory checks ... the thing that doesn't make sense (to me) is why it'll fill fine if I manually turn it on and off.
Because turning off the water would remove any pressure in the tube, causing whatever kink to unkink itself.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

We've been in our house for about 15 years, and I think I'm 1 for 3 diagnosing and fixing toilet related issues. The other 2 times we gave up and bought entire new toilets.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The "irony" is that my kids find the toilet displays at Home Depot hilarious and we joke about how that's all I really want for my (just passed) birthday.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The toilet repairs begin now.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The great YouTube algorithm brought me to this channel called Off The Ranch. It has a bunch of subscribers.

But it also is featuring this dude buying an abandoned mansion and renovating it over the next year plus. It's been pretty fun to watch so far.

Most recent video:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

the hot water heater is leaking. looks like $500 at Menards and some time and labor tomorrow.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:08 pm the hot water heater is leaking. looks like $500 at Menards and some time and labor tomorrow.
$500? That’s a good price for a decent water heater. I paid $900 (including installation).
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

sancarlos wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:51 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:08 pm the hot water heater is leaking. looks like $500 at Menards and some time and labor tomorrow.
$500? That’s a good price for a decent water heater. I paid $900 (including installation).
did you go tankless or tank? has anyone else made the switch?

It's just over $400 after rebate and before taxes for a 50-gal tank. Or I can spend some more money -- unfortunately the cheap tankless ones aren't in stock at my menards -- and go with tankless with the idea that could be more valuable here in a few months when I look to sell?

I have no idea. I also have to hope that our friend/handyman who works for $20 an hour and beer can also do this with me. if he can't/won't, then I'm probably looking at $1K
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

When we replaced our hot water heater earlier this year, we considered going tankless. But we would've needed to make some changes with the exhaust venting that didn't make going tankless cost effective.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Sabo wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:45 am When we replaced our hot water heater earlier this year, we considered going tankless. But we would've needed to make some changes with the exhaust venting that didn't make going tankless cost effective.
Yea, we did the same at our old house. The water heater was really squeezed in where it was and I wanted to go tankless but it would have involved cutting a hole in the roof.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

In Kentucky you can install your own, but it has to be inspected for like a $75 fee. If you hire a certified plumber, I think you forego the inspection as they have a certain number of permits they can do as a licensed plumber.

You definitely need to check to see what is required, because if it isn't done properly from the get go it can be a disaster/expensive to fix later.

And if your buddy is willing to help, DO NOT MENTION THAT when/if you have to have an inspection. Say you did it all from youtube or some shit.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I don't think there's a similar process here. This also looks extremely straightforward at least from how it's set up currently.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

lol got it disconnected and went to drain it from the valve and apparently it was rusting at the valve because the connection broke off as we tried to attach the hose and ...

well, time to dry that area between the water heater and the floor drain again!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Sabo wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:45 am When we replaced our hot water heater earlier this year, we considered going tankless. But we would've needed to make some changes with the exhaust venting that didn't make going tankless cost effective.
We went tankless at our house a few years ago. It was really expensive, and I don't know if it's really that much better. You still have to wait for hot water to run through your pipes to your shower head.

Because there is always a lag before the tankless heater heats up, you end up using (wasting) more water waiting for it. Theoretically you use less energy, so I think it depends on where you are as to whether the tradeoff is worth it.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Yeah, to truly have hot water at all times you need a recirculation pump, which no one does anymore because houses are too big/piping too complex and they aren't really much good for saving money anyway. We had one at my house growing up because 1)my grandfather was a master plumber and basically rigged the whole system himself and 2) there was really only one branch line to the kitchen. Both Bathrooms were pretty much straight on top of the eater heater.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:09 pm
We went tankless at our house a few years ago. It was really expensive, and I don't know if it's really that much better. You still have to wait for hot water to run through your pipes to your shower head.

Because there is always a lag before the tankless heater heats up, you end up using (wasting) more water waiting for it. Theoretically you use less energy, so I think it depends on where you are as to whether the tradeoff is worth it.
Went tankless. Have seen the cost savings, see the benefit of it when I am last person to get to the shower (daughter and wife...my son may not get wet in a shower based on his speed in there). My biggest reason, I have flooded basements for a few different reasons, the last time I replaced floor and drywayll my water heater was ready to go.....the idea of a water heater failure in my basement again was something I just could not contemplate dealing with. No hot water...okay...wet dry vac, cutting up carpet, insulation, and drywall/greenboard....no thank you.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

after seeing how gross this water heater was at the bottom and the stuff that's on the floor of my store room after I moved it out of there, I'm wondering how I'm still alive
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

We had (HAD!) a massive oak tree in our front yard, straddling the property line with our neighbor. We had pushed to have it trimmed the past couple of years, and they balked because they wanted it taken down. I wanted to keep it, and my wife was 60/40 get rid of it. So nothing happened at all.

A couple to weeks ago we had some high wind go through and a branch came down on car in their driveway. They got super responsive after that, and the tree came down today.

Front yard looks like shit.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

rass wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:36 pm We had (HAD!) a massive oak tree in our front yard, straddling the property line with our neighbor. We had pushed to have it trimmed the past couple of years, and they balked because they wanted it taken down. I wanted to keep it, and my wife was 60/40 get rid of it. So nothing happened at all.

A couple to weeks ago we had some high wind go through and a branch came down on car in their driveway. They got super responsive after that, and the tree came down today.

Front yard looks like shit.
That sucks, man. Losing trees on a street makes me feel the the p values go down immediately.
Good thing you got it out before tomorrow. Gusty afternoon on tap.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Anyone replaced floors? We're looking at putting in floors to replace the awful vinyl the previous owner put in as well as the tile in the kitchen. Looking at engineered hardwood from Lumber Liquidators or Lowe's.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Rush2112 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:23 pm Anyone replaced floors? We're looking at putting in floors to replace the awful vinyl the previous owner put in as well as the tile in the kitchen. Looking at engineered hardwood from Lumber Liquidators or Lowe's.
I replaced all of the flooring in my last house (except the bathroom) with an wood-looking laminate from Home Depot that was fantastic. It was a small house (about 1000 sq ft of flooring was replaced) so I used the same thing throughout including the kitchen. Despite five dogs and two clumsy adults there wasn't a scratch even after three years.

I've had some tile flooring put in my current house in the bathrooms; when I do the main floor which is currently hardwood I will probably replace with engineered hardwood...I think that stuff is tough to beat.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

From what I've read, the way flooring is made these days it makes it easy to click one piece into the other.

I put laminate flooring (from Lumber Liquidators, 83 cents a sq ft) on my wall to make an accent wall and it wasn't tough. I just had to make sure it was level at the bottom and cut it so that the pieces fit to length.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Its fun to be told your electrical box is past its useful life and also overloaded.
edwzipper
Maude Lebowski

Post by edwzipper »

When my Dad passed earlier this year, in order to sell his house, both electrical boxes had to be replaced as they were known to catch on fire.
How long have you been a Black quaterback?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

edwzipper wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:31 pm When my Dad passed earlier this year, in order to sell his house, both electrical boxes had to be replaced as they were known to catch on fire.
People are just so sensitive these days.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Same here except we ignored it and closed anyway. Not so much that it caused fires just known not to do its job and prevent fires. One day that was confirmed and we had to switch out the box. Turns out you need permitting for that and gfci(? either way the expensive ones) are now needed all over the place.
edwzipper
Maude Lebowski

Post by edwzipper »

Had to switch out my Dad's or the buyers couldnt get insurance. Fuckers
How long have you been a Black quaterback?
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Rush2112 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:23 pm Anyone replaced floors? We're looking at putting in floors to replace the awful vinyl the previous owner put in as well as the tile in the kitchen. Looking at engineered hardwood from Lumber Liquidators or Lowe's.
You should check out Atlas Flooring in north Boulder. Better selection/quality than you'll get from a big box. I think I had budgeted like $9/sf and then ended up with some planks that I love for under $5 (and this is when I worked at an architecture firm and had access to a huge range of discounted designer shit).

And yes, in CO climate, engineered > hardwood, and plan on letting your planks acclimatize indoors for like at least a week before laying them down.

And if you can find this type of locking system in a plank you like, you are truly blessed: