Home Repairs

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, DaveInSeattle, rass

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Home Repairs

Post by The Sybian » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:47 pm

I have a weird one. Clothes drier wasn't working. It was heating up, but clothes weren't drying and the lint in the lint trap was soaked. I was thinking maybe the vent was clogged and the moisture couldn't leave the machine. Detached the vent hose, and it was really wet inside, but not clogged. Hose isn't the right word, could probably roll a softball through it. Went into the attic where the hose vents through the roof, and noticed a U-shaped dip and it was completely full of water. I removed the hose from dryer and put the end in a bucket and drained the hose from the attic. Had to be more than 20 ounces of water in there. At first I was thinking the moisture from the dryer accumulated in the hose, but that seems like way too much water. Now I'm thinking rain water got in from the vent on the roof. We had 3 days of constant rain and strong winds. I'm hoping the vent isn't still stuck open, as there is no way I can get on the roof at that part of the house.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:43 pm

That is a weird one. Your dryer vents through your attic level? Is that a common thing?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:35 pm

Sure you aren’t looking at the washer?
rass wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:20 am
I'm definitely known as "the boy who cried penis" in town.

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:26 pm

Steve of phpBB wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:43 pm
That is a weird one. Your dryer vents through your attic level? Is that a common thing?
No idea if it's normal. Laundry room is upstairs next to the master bedroom. Vent goes up the wall, through the attic and out through the roof. Right next to the chimney for the fireplace. I've always had laundry on the ground floor or basement with a vent out the side of the house.

ETA: Some interesting articles on the topic. Apparently people try to vent into the attic. Like just filling the attic with super humid air and lint debris. That's not advisable for obvious reasons. Venting through the attic is within code and acceptable, but not ideal as the attic isn't heated, and warm humid air can condense in the vent duct. Kind of happier to hear that rather than rainwater coming in through the vent. I know the inspector saw it, because he tried to tell me there was no chimney for the fireplace, and I found it in the attic and showed him.

I'm wondering if insulating the vent duct would help? I went a year without a problem, so if I have to empty the water once or twice a year, I guess I can deal with that.
-Pruitt

Brontoburglar
Walter Sobchak

Post by Brontoburglar » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:23 am

looking forward to eventually posting before/after pics of the basement. our cabinet install begins today. spent the entire week painting after they got done with the demo and the reframing
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:19 pm

I think venting the dryer into the attic isn't unusual, but it's not recommended. After I bought my house (over 20 years ago now), we learned that they vented the 2nd storey dryer down through the same exhaust vent as the downstairs bathroom. So if you don't turn the bathroom exhaust fan on, the humid air just falls down into the bathroom, making it humid as hell. Very annoying design. It also means that bathroom fan wears out every 2 years or so, because it has to run a lot and it gets clogged with damp lint.
Totally Kafkaesque

P.D.X.
Walter Sobchak

Post by P.D.X. » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:21 pm

Seems like a mold recipe.

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:01 pm

P.D.X. wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:21 pm
Seems like a mold recipe.
We've gotten good at remembering to turn the fan on which seems to work pretty well. But if not, you get a humid bathroom, kinda like when someone takes a shower and hasn't turned the fan on yet.
Totally Kafkaesque

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:30 pm

So, the wife and I disagree on this, so I thought I'd check with you guys and see if you think I'm being unreasonable.

Do you tip a tradesman who is doing service for you if he owns and operates his own company? We hired a guy who has a window-washing company. In addition to washing the windows, he is cleaning the gutters and the solar panels, all of which we are charged for. It isn't cheap. Since it is his own company, I don't think an additional tip is called for. The wife disagrees.

What say the Swamp?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

I never shoulda punched that horse. - AB

Sabo
Walter Sobchak

Post by Sabo » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:35 pm

sancarlos wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:30 pm
So, the wife and I disagree on this, so I thought I'd check with you guys and see if you think I'm being unreasonable.

Do you tip a tradesman who is doing service for you if he owns and operates his own company? We hired a guy who has a window-washing company. In addition to washing the windows, he is cleaning the gutters and the solar panels, all of which we are charged for. It isn't cheap. Since it is his own company, I don't think an additional tip is called for. The wife disagrees.

What say the Swamp?
I don't think I've ever tipped a tradesman for their work.
Mallards rule.

So do cassowaries.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:42 pm

Sabo wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:35 pm
sancarlos wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:30 pm

What say the Swamp?
I don't think I've ever tipped a tradesman for their work.
Yeah, I wouldn't tip if you agreed on a price prior to the work as you'd expect. There would be a couple of instances where I would however. I've had a couple of times where they went above and beyond the scope of the agreed work after seeing something that wasn't on the quote and given an extra $20 or $40 or something like that.

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:46 pm

I've tipped a guy that occasionally mows my lawn (he has a lawn business on the side) if I am out of town. Rate is $40 and I usually just give him $50.
The wife just accidentally called you. “Accidentally”. Sorry

Brontoburglar
Walter Sobchak

Post by Brontoburglar » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:08 pm

I thought about if I should pay the guys working on the basement a little extra on the side, but instead told them like 2 days into the work that the beer fridge was available for them whenever they wanted.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer

Brontoburglar
Walter Sobchak

Post by Brontoburglar » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:15 pm

the gray I painted all over the basement ended up with a purple hue and absolutely clashed with the gray island that was installed on Saturday. So I've spent every night this week repainting over the gray. and since LA wanted to go with white, it's taken about four coats or so in spots because the walls are textured.

I don't actively hate painting. but I'm slowly starting to

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:16 pm

I would only tip the owner if he did extra work and didn't charge. I've tipped tradesmen, and they usually look surprised or uncomfortable. As for Bronto's beer comment, I'd be nervous having someone drinking while doing work.
-Pruitt

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:06 pm

The Sybian wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:16 pm
I would only tip the owner if he did extra work and didn't charge. I've tipped tradesmen, and they usually look surprised or uncomfortable. As for Bronto's beer comment, I'd be nervous having someone drinking while doing work.
God I'm glad you're not my boss!
The wife just accidentally called you. “Accidentally”. Sorry

GoodKarma
Jesus Quintana

Post by GoodKarma » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:05 pm

I never tip tradesmen/the owner of a business. I did once offer a contractor and his assistant each a bottle of Blanton's...the owner refused but the assistant took it.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?

Brontoburglar
Walter Sobchak

Post by Brontoburglar » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:17 pm

A_B wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:06 pm
The Sybian wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:16 pm
God I'm glad you're not my boss!
they stayed late the first night I offered and then I picked up a couple beer cans on about two other nights. if Miller Lite and Genny were messing up their drywalling skills I certainly haven't noticed

side note: they also drank the Genny Ice that was in my fridge so I'm kinda happy it's gone

HaulCitgo
Donny

Post by HaulCitgo » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:09 pm

Now that's concerning. You sure you chose the right guys? Genny ice?

I watched a bunch of uninsured guys cut down cypress trees 10dt from a new porch and 20 ft from the house with no insurance. Bud tallboys everywhere. Bang up job. Did tip them.