Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Giff
The Dude

Re: Home Repairs

Post by Giff »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:39 pm
Giff wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:49 pm
sancarlos wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:15 pm Over the past week while I was out of town, my wife used YouTube videos to: A) fix the clothes dryer, and B) change the switch in a lamp.

Some men might feel emasculated by this. I just say “you go, girl!” She was really proud of herself and im happy it’s done. Saved a bunch of money and work for me, so we’ll get a nice dinner to celebrate.
My wife is definitely the fix-it person around here. No shame at all here.
Same here. My favorite part is for bigger things when we have a contractor or the like over. Dude always looks at me and I point and say, "Talk to her, she's the one who knows what's going on."
Every time!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

My wife is definitely the brains of the outfit for us too. But she doesn’t want to deal with contractors. So it ends being them asking me questions and me saying “Let me talk to my wife.”
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:37 pm Man, I wish. I wasn't raised with a dad teaching me how to do shit, so it's all self-taught. A lot of it had to be learned before YouTube was such an awesome tool.

Wife grew up with a somewhat handy dad and 2 older brothers. Fixing stuff just isn't her jam. I mostly don't mind it, but I sometimes feel the pressure because if I don't fix something --> $$ and I'm worried about breaking things irreparably.

She's very cool about the tension and always reminds me that the worst thing is that I can't fix something and we bring someone in. If I do fix it --> $$

Anyways, my dishwasher is broken. That's above my pay grade.
It's weird, my father really knew how to work on cars (until the computerized), but he never did much work in the house. He always said Jesus was the last Jew to make a living working with his hands, or "we pay people to do this stuff for us." The only fight I ever saw my parents have is when my father attempted to fix a leaky sink. He didn't turn the water off first, tapped the supply line with his wrench, and it disintegrated, spewing water every where until he could shut the line. I've realized that is the reason I get ridiculous anxiety before fixing anything. That, and my wife freaks out screaming not to try because I'll make it worse. Her father literally can't change a light bulb. Her mother will occasionally change lightbulbs, but they call an electrician. Because of that, she doesn't believe things are easy fixes, and gets mad that I don't freak out when something is minor, like a lose screw causing a cabinet door to wobble. Youtube has me realizing how easy most repairs are, and I really enjoy fixing things, and I really like putting in dimmer switches. I should have been an electrician. It's fun!

So my father never taught me much beyond how to use a screwdriver. And when it came to things like putting together furniture, my mother did it because she liked to and he would get frustrated, and doesn't believe in reading directions. My father did teach me the basics of car repairs. When I was 14 or 15, he made me take off tires and put them back on to learn. He taught me how to jump a car, change the oil, replace and check all fluids... My father inlaw needed a new batter a couple years ago and I offered to pick one up and put it in for him. He started yelling that it's too dangerous, I shouldn't be doing it, he'll get a tow truck to bring it in. So yeah, I see why my wife gets nervous. A couple years ago I had my side mirror damaged, and the electronic adjustment didn't work. I found a website that linked to junkyards across the country, you put in the make, model, year and color, and get quotes from various junkyards. Found a match and saved a ton off what the dealer was charging.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Youtube homie. Don't be scared. But I do appreciate a man that throws I the towel before he runs a machine into the ditch.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:44 pm
The Sybian wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:59 pm Anyone ever try to clean a carburetor on a snowblower (or any gas engine, for that matter). Seems like it should be easy enough, I'm just afraid of not getting it back together, or not knowing if I broke it. I usually forget to drain the gas or add fuel stabilizer at the end of seasons. Usually, first snow or first time using the leaf blower, it takes a while to get it started. Today, I couldn't get it at all. I'm assuming it's the carburetor. Really pissed, as last storm, I tried getting it going and after about 10 pulls, the chord broke. I replaced it, got the blower started on the first pull and let it run for 5-10 minutes. Figured I'd be good to go. Nope. I found a repair guy who drives to your house, might have to give him a call. I had to have the carburetor replace on my power washer last year.

So, is it me? Am I fucking up by leaving gas in the machines during off seasons? Do you guys regularly clean out carburetors or tuneups on equipment?
I run Stabil through mine before winter hits then splash them with fresh gas in the spring. In a pinch have someone spray crab cleaner in the carb as you’re starting it. Loud but effective.
Bought some carb cleaner spray and the ignition spray. Do I need to take out the carb to spray the cleaner, or just spray it in the air intake?

With the ignition spray, it says to spray in the air intake. Does that require removing the plastic panel the primer bulb is on? Prime it first, remove panel, spray and start? Read a ton of answers to this question, but none answer this. One guy asked 20 times, and everyone answering just says in the intake. Another storm tomorrow, and new blower not coming until Tuesday.
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The Sybian wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:01 pm
The Sybian wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:59 pm Anyone ever try to clean a carburetor on a snowblower (or any gas engine, for that matter). Seems like it should be easy enough, I'm just afraid of not getting it back together, or not knowing if I broke it. I usually forget to drain the gas or add fuel stabilizer at the end of seasons. Usually, first snow or first time using the leaf blower, it takes a while to get it started. Today, I couldn't get it at all. I'm assuming it's the carburetor. Really pissed, as last storm, I tried getting it going and after about 10 pulls, the chord broke. I replaced it, got the blower started on the first pull and let it run for 5-10 minutes. Figured I'd be good to go. Nope. I found a repair guy who drives to your house, might have to give him a call. I had to have the carburetor replace on my power washer last year.

So, is it me? Am I fucking up by leaving gas in the machines during off seasons? Do you guys regularly clean out carburetors or tuneups on equipment?
I run Stabil through mine before winter hits then splash them with fresh gas in the spring. In a pinch have someone spray crab cleaner in the carb as you’re starting it. Loud but effective.
Bought some carb cleaner spray and the ignition spray. Do I need to take out the carb to spray the cleaner, or just spray it in the air intake?

With the ignition spray, it says to spray in the air intake. Does that require removing the plastic panel the primer bulb is on? Prime it first, remove panel, spray and start? Read a ton of answers to this question, but none answer this. One guy asked 20 times, and everyone answering just says in the intake. Another storm tomorrow, and new blower not coming until Tuesday.
So I do this on my mower, but I take off the air filter cover and remove the air filter and the carb intake is right behind that. Crescent shaped holes. Don’t need a lot, spritz it and pull or like I said have wife or buddy spritz, wait half a second and pull. Let it run and get some new fuel through the lines. Might have to do it 2 or 3 times before it stays up. Replace filter and you’re good to go.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

BSF21 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:49 am

So I do this on my mower, but I take off the air filter cover and remove the air filter and the carb intake is right behind that. Crescent shaped holes. Don’t need a lot, spritz it and pull or like I said have wife or buddy spritz, wait half a second and pull. Let it run and get some new fuel through the lines. Might have to do it 2 or 3 times before it stays up. Replace filter and you’re good to go.
I don’t know the difference between ignition and carb cleaner but I use carb cleaner for this

Also dumb pro tip, check that your spark plugs are firmly attached. This this last year and couldn’t for the life of me figure out why this trick wasn’t working. I had disconnected the spark plug for winter...

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:51 am
BSF21 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:49 am

I don’t know the difference between ignition and carb cleaner but I use carb cleaner for this

Also dumb pro tip, check that your spark plugs are firmly attached. This this last year and couldn’t for the life of me figure out why this trick wasn’t working. I had disconnected the spark plug for winter...
Starter spray is what I meant. Getting combustible into the carb as opposed to a a carb cleaning spray to remove debris.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Where has ignition spray been all my life? The answer is, you do not need to open the carburetor or remove the plate to spray it into a line. Just sprayed the general area where the carburetor bowl sits. First pull, like magic. It sounded different than it ever has starting up, there was a dark grey plume and I needed to keep the choke open for 30 seconds otherwise it'd stall out. It was surging and sounded bad until I ran it empty. Filled the tank, started right up and sounded normal!

I ordered a new blower which already shipped. Need to decide if I just sell the old one or try to cancel the order. New one is electric start, so I think that ends the discussion.

Thanks to BSF and others for the advice.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Here's a question: We just had a guy (and his crew) do a bit of work rebuilding a retaining wall/fence in our backyard. They did a good job...and we'll probably hire them again to do the fence in the front of the house.

Should we tip them? How much?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:30 pm Here's a question: We just had a guy (and his crew) do a bit of work rebuilding a retaining wall/fence in our backyard. They did a good job...and we'll probably hire them again to do the fence in the front of the house.

What did the job cost? How many in the crew?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:21 am
DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:30 pm Here's a question: We just had a guy (and his crew) do a bit of work rebuilding a retaining wall/fence in our backyard. They did a good job...and we'll probably hire them again to do the fence in the front of the house.

What did the job cost? How many in the crew?
About 6K...there would usually be 3 or 4 guys...
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'd have a tough time tipping in that scenario. The way I've dealt with that in the past is to ask them what they like to drink (for hydration) and to order up lunch.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Isn't hiring them again the bonus here?

After getting my kitchen redone and paying $$$$ for it, no way in hell am I going to tip something like contractor work.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

I typically don't tip contractor types because the cost is very high to start off with and there is work done by people I never see. I will supply cold drinks/coffee. Working at home makes that easier. I've made some extra pots of coffee and set it up on the porch for them to use. I will try and tip other work. Movers, landscapers, delivery people, etc... For that type of work it's usually $50 if they are there the whole day or $20 is it's something less than that.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I'm re-caulking a bathtub. How much caulk should I get, a small tube or one of the big cannisters?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Pruitt wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:45 pm I'm re-caulking a bathtub. How much caulk should I get, a small tube or one of the big cannisters?
One small tube should be enough.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Aces!

Thanks.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I originally posted this in the Weather thread, but now my wife has raised the concern that having these huge icicles hanging from the corner of the roof could be bad for the roof. Does anyone know if that's true? Or what I could do about it? I think trying to break the icicles would be even more dangerous for the roof. But I do have a propane heater that I could try to use to melt the icicles off halfway down.

Though then I'd be afraid about burning the whole place down.

And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

They could rip off your gutters and drip edging if they get too heavy. Try breaking off smaller pieces at the end and gradually work your way up. A chain saw would be a good tool for this.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Sabo wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:06 pm They could rip off your gutters and drip edging if they get too heavy. Try breaking off smaller pieces at the end and gradually work your way up. A chain saw would be a good tool for this.
I have a cheap electric chainsaw I got from Lowes. Will that be okay to cut into solid ice?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:45 pm
Sabo wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:06 pm They could rip off your gutters and drip edging if they get too heavy. Try breaking off smaller pieces at the end and gradually work your way up. A chain saw would be a good tool for this.
I have a cheap electric chainsaw I got from Lowes. Will that be okay to cut into solid ice?
Fuckin A that sounds like fun.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

That'd be a good swamp walk-off post.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:45 pm
Only one way to find out.....

Two weeks later Steve reporting side hustle

or at minimum ice luges for college kids (that is covid safe right?)
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

"The Chainsaw in my Forehead"
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Just be careful...

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Yeah, this’ll be an adventure. I don’t think I can reach the monstrosity with a chain-saw from my deck. Or from the ground. So the propane flamethrower is probably my only option.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:36 am Yeah, this’ll be an adventure. I don’t think I can reach the monstrosity with a chain-saw from my deck. Or from the ground. So the propane flamethrower is probably my only option.
propane flamethrower is almost always the best tool for the job.
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Just holding a spot here for the structure fire in Utah article.

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I am bummed I did not try to get one of them Boring Not a Flamethrowers...on the other hand my co-workers husband got one...she was very not happy about it.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

BSF21 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:54 am Just holding a spot here for the structure fire in Utah article.
Yeah ... about five years ago my neighbor blew up his house using a propane flamethrower to melt ice. He was apparently melting ice from some pipes and his garage caught fire. And this being Utah, he had a bunch of ammo in his garage.

No one was hurt, and the house has since been rebuilt. So I figure I'm fine, right?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:25 pm
BSF21 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:54 am Just holding a spot here for the structure fire in Utah article.
Yeah ... about five years ago my neighbor blew up his house using a propane flamethrower to melt ice. He was apparently melting ice from some pipes and his garage caught fire. And this being Utah, he had a bunch of ammo in his garage.

No one was hurt, and the house has since been rebuilt. So I figure I'm fine, right?
I mean I'd delete this talk before the insurance claim but sure.

My guess is on the corner there isn't as huge an issue since it's not pulling on the gutters or the soffit straight down like in some of those videos but you wanna play Hank Scorpio, I say go nuts.

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

BSF21 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:36 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:25 pm

I mean I'd delete this talk before the insurance claim but sure.

My guess is on the corner there isn't as huge an issue since it's not pulling on the gutters or the soffit straight down like in some of those videos but you wanna play Hank Scorpio, I say go nuts.
Yeah, for all I know it's like this every year and I just haven't been up there enough in the winter to notice. The guy who built the place was a carpenter/woodworker and seemed pretty thorough, so I imagine it's probably fine.

On the other hand, if I have an excuse to use the flamethrower, it'd be irresponsible not to.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

What about a super soaker and de-icing fluid?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:01 pm What about a super soaker and d... fluid?
Sick.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:30 pm
Johnnie wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:01 pm What about a super soaker and d... fluid?
Sick.
Might work, but Steve isn’t as young as he used to be.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:30 pm
Sick.
I know. He took your fluid to melt ice.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I would watch a live stream of this event.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Hydrant seems to have sink in our neighbors yard and caused us to have no water pressure. Been going on for an hour.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12MISYs ... p=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12HLFC4 ... p=drivesdk
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

duff wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:52 pm Hydrant seems to have sink in our neighbors yard and caused us to have no water pressure. Been going on for an hour.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12MISYs ... p=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12HLFC4 ... p=drivesdk
Oh fuck. I hope you’re not downslope from that.