Home Repairs

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

duff
Donny

Re: Home Repairs

Post by duff »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:15 pm
duff wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:52 pm Hydrant seems to have sink in our neighbors yard and caused us to have no water pressure. Been going on for an hour.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12MISYs ... p=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12HLFC4 ... p=drivesdk
Oh fuck. I hope you’re not downslope from that.
We are uphill thankfully. Water guys still out there, almost two hours.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Jeez what a mess. Good luck.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

duff wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:41 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:15 pm
duff wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:52 pm Hydrant seems to have sink in our neighbors yard and caused us to have no water pressure. Been going on for an hour.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12MISYs ... p=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12HLFC4 ... p=drivesdk
Oh fuck. I hope you’re not downslope from that.
We are uphill thankfully. Water guys still out there, almost two hours.
I guess you could walk over there with a couple of buckets.

Seriously though, that sucks if your toilets are out.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

They finally got the washer off 30 minutes ago. Now waiting for a pump truck to stick the rest of the water out. Then digging time. Earliest is four hours. Most likely 8-10.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Need to replace my broken attic ladder so I can actually, like, go in my attic, but the only contractor I can get a hold of quoted me $900 (including the new ladder). Sounds steep. Any suggestions for other options?
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:15 pm Need to replace my broken attic ladder so I can actually, like, go in my attic, but the only contractor I can get a hold of quoted me $900 (including the new ladder). Sounds steep. Any suggestions for other options?
That’s a handyman type job. Home Advisor.

ETA: go to your local Lowes or Home Depot and talk to the guys in the department that will sell you that ladder. They’ll have an install price, too. My guess is it’ll come in lower than the $900 it’d take to get that contractor off his couch.
Noli Timere Messorem
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Yeah, pretty sure we paid less than that all-in when we had it done a couple of years ago.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Replacing attic pull down steps was the hardest home improvement I’ve ever done.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A_B wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:13 pm Replacing attic pull down steps was the hardest home improvement I’ve ever done.
I was just thinking about this. How’d you do it? Did you take the ladder off the door, and then unhinge the door and place it on the lower level floor, and then add the ladder, and then lift it up to the door frame in order to hinge it? And if so, did you engage a pulley system to lift it up to the hinge level?

Or add the ladder in the attic, while the door was hinged?
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:16 pm
A_B wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:13 pm Replacing attic pull down steps was the hardest home improvement I’ve ever done.
I was just thinking about this. How’d you do it? Did you take the ladder off the door, and then unhinge the door and place it on the lower level floor, and then add the ladder, and then lift it up to the door frame in order to hinge it? And if so, did you engage a pulley system to lift it up to the hinge level?

It was in two pieces. There was a frame (the door was attached to it) that had to be bolted with huge bolts into the opening. I was able to do most of that from a ladder. Then I had to get the steps into the attic, close the door and install it with the frame. It was a two man job tbh but it was just me. Luckily I had a bright lamp in the attic for light.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A_B wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:42 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:16 pm

It was in two pieces. There was a frame (the door was attached to it) that had to be bolted with huge bolts into the opening. I was able to do most of that from a ladder. Then I had to get the steps into the attic, close the door and install it with the frame. It was a two man job tbh but it was just me. Luckily I had a bright lamp in the attic for light.
OK. Thanks for the explanation.
Noli Timere Messorem
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

does anyone have a samsung appliance?

we bought a samsung washer and dryer when we moved in. washer was leaking out of the bottom of the front door last month. I called service not realizing that front-load washers have a filter you have to clean out. that seemed to solve the issue but there were a couple drips. since it was under warranty, they scheduled a service appt.

repairman came a couple weeks ago and had to order a new rubber gasket for the washer because there was a small tear on the side. part won't be in until next week and he scheduled another appt for the 24th.

fast forward to yesterday when I get a call (purportedly) from Samsung support. since it was taking so long for the part to come in they wanted to give me a total refund on the washer so I could buy a new one. they'd either deposit the cash into my account, send me a check or give me a coupon on their site to buy me a new washer. whaaaaaat? really?

with the problem almost or totally nonexistent at this point ... this seems like an offer too good to be true on multiple levels. I passed off the decision saying I needed to talk to LA and am going to call them myself this morning to see if this is actually legit. my first thought is if it's legit is to do our weekly laundry today and watch the door closely. if it's all good, we take the check.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

We have Samsung all around. Went crazy on a black Friday sale a couple of years ago. No huge problems, though the washer has a drain hose in the back that is a sort of rigid plastic held on with a deluxe hose clamp. My wife washed some blanket that likes to soak up all the water in the tub so when it tried to spin it out the unbalanced load helped shake the clamp/hose loose. Had to really tighten the pig to get it to stay but been good for a year or so.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:50 am does anyone have a samsung appliance?

we bought a samsung washer and dryer when we moved in. washer was leaking out of the bottom of the front door last month. I called service not realizing that front-load washers have a filter you have to clean out. that seemed to solve the issue but there were a couple drips. since it was under warranty, they scheduled a service appt.

repairman came a couple weeks ago and had to order a new rubber gasket for the washer because there was a small tear on the side. part won't be in until next week and he scheduled another appt for the 24th.

fast forward to yesterday when I get a call (purportedly) from Samsung support. since it was taking so long for the part to come in they wanted to give me a total refund on the washer so I could buy a new one. they'd either deposit the cash into my account, send me a check or give me a coupon on their site to buy me a new washer. whaaaaaat? really?

with the problem almost or totally nonexistent at this point ... this seems like an offer too good to be true on multiple levels. I passed off the decision saying I needed to talk to LA and am going to call them myself this morning to see if this is actually legit. my first thought is if it's legit is to do our weekly laundry today and watch the door closely. if it's all good, we take the check.
This doesn't sound right, but if it's still under warranty, the repair fees are insanely steep, so they might prefer to just replace. I called Samsung repair for my dishwasher, but the warranty had just expired. Sucks because it was new and we only had it for a month, but warranty ran from when the builder purchased. They hire local Samsung certified repairmen, and it was $300 for the visit, plus costs of repair and parts. Dishwasher doesn't have buttons, but a touch panel on top edge of the door. It's finicky and didn't work for a few weeks, which seems common for the model. It suddenly started working again, with periodic problems, but it seems to work now, so I haven't paid to have it looked at. I'm not a fan of it, so I'd probably replace rather than repair.

Have Samsung top loading washer. Need to check the manual to see if I need to empty or clean anything. I haven't yet. Previous washer was also Samsung, had it for maybe 3 or 4 years, never cleaned it. It's be good to know if it requires maintenance, huh.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

This is the underside of my front porch.

Any ideas what I should use to repair this so that water stops getting in?
IMG_1897.jpg
IMG_1897.jpg (170.44 KiB) Viewed 676 times
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I think some mortar repair caulk would do the job. Use more than you think you need to really fill it in.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Do you think a couple of tubes would be enough?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:40 pm Do you think a couple of tubes would be enough?
For that part I would think so. But you probably want to go ahead and investigate all the bricking/stone you have to see if there are cracks forming other places.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A_B wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:41 pm
Pruitt wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:40 pm Do you think a couple of tubes would be enough?
For that part I would think so. But you probably want to go ahead and investigate all the bricking/stone you have to see if there are cracks forming other places.
Got it!

Thanks man.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:44 pm
A_B wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:41 pm
Got it!

Thanks man.
If you find you have a lot of it that is cracking or easy to knock loose, you'd probably better just get the mortar mix and use that instead, but for small jobs the caulk has worked for me before when I had a leak beside a garage window.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Actual mortar might look better. Don't know about waterproofing though. Would assume. Most caulk products I've seen have a smooth texture and looks like the existing is rough with sand mix.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:47 pm Actual mortar might look better. Don't know about waterproofing though. Would assume. Most caulk products I've seen have a smooth texture and looks like the existing is rough with sand mix.
Mortar likely would look better, but the one I used had a texture to it to replicate that a bit. You can definitely tell a difference at first but it lessens with time.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:35 pm This is the underside of my front porch.

IMG_1897.jpg
To do it right, you should hire a mason and have him or her tuck point your masonry.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Sabo wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:52 pm
Pruitt wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:35 pm This is the underside of my front porch.

IMG_1897.jpg
To do it right, you should hire a mason and have him or her tuck point your masonry.
We're most likely getting the porch expanded in a month or so, so it just needs to be a temporary thing.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

"ooh, baby you expand my porch..."

"wait until I tuck point your masonry..."

"I hope that quick-hardening caulk"
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

The caulk gun really is a release
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Def get more caulk than you think you need because coming up short could ruin the whole job.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

My wife is happy with the caulk - I'll be filling all the holes tomorrow.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:18 pm My wife is happy with the caulk - I'll be filling all the holes tomorrow.

Birthday? Anniversary?
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:22 pm
Pruitt wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:18 pm My wife is happy with the caulk - I'll be filling all the holes tomorrow.

Birthday? Anniversary?
April Fool's Day.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:15 pm Need to replace my broken attic ladder so I can actually, like, go in my attic, but the only contractor I can get a hold of quoted me $900 (including the new ladder). Sounds steep. Any suggestions for other options?
Second contractor quoted $950. Either this somehow costs twice as much in NH as everywhere else, or I'm unable to find the people who can do it for cheaper.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:04 pm
Second contractor quoted $950. Either this somehow costs twice as much in NH as everywhere else, or I'm unable to find the people who can do it for cheaper.
I’d feel a lot better about spending that much considering I got a second quote in the ballpark.

Between the $900 and the $950 quotes, I would go with the one who best explained their approach. Assuming all other things are equal.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

If I had it to do over again I would have gladly paid someone to do it, or at least had a couple of friends over to help.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Just be sure to call your oldest friend over too. So he doesn’t feel he’s reached the age where friends no longer call him for menial work help.
Noli Timere Messorem
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Get two more quotes. Both might be high. If still a problem maybe look for someone with similar experience (framing?) And watch em/tell em how you want it done
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I'd try finding a handyman over a contractor for a small job like that.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Neighbor girl just texted me and wants to borrow my caulk gun haha
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

If you were Jerloma, she would have said "i want to borrow your caulk gun and by caulk gun I mean your penis" and he would ask us if she was flirting.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto