Home Repairs

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Re: Home Repairs

Post by Brontoburglar »

I've had water in the basement again all week (we've probably had 10 inches of d... err, rain all week) and we finally figured out the cause.

I had broken gutter spouts/drains that were leaking next to the foundation. My house slopes north to south, so it was running down to the south with the rest of the rainwater and then working its way under the garage and into my basement near where the garage steps meet the basement.

And to exacerbate the water issue, my neighbor to the east (this is the east side of the house) is on higher ground than I am so the 15 feet or so between houses slopes towards my house.

So the next big home project is to build a drainage trench or two. It's not going to be extremely costly (the $200-300 I will have spent over these two weeks is better than it could be) but just a lot of labor. Will probably put a drainage pipe next to the foundation between the house and the plants I have there and then between the houses build a much larger trench in the lowest spot between the houses and slope the ground towards it in both directions so it'll empty into my backyard.

I'm kind of excited to do this, as I think/know that it's going to fix the issue. We tarped off the area over the plants and the side of the house last night and we got another 1.5 hours of rain overnight. Had no water in the basement and the area under the tarps was dry and the gutter wasn't leaking. So that's a pretty good indication that's where I need to focus my attention.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

french drain. Do it!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I'm in the middle of building 8'x3'x2' planter boxes for the backyard. Halfway done, but it's nearly UEFA CL time. That shit can get done tomorrow.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Rush2112 wrote:Refinishing decks?
A_B wrote:It's definitely a pain in the ass but it's not a difficult pain in the ass. Just takes patience.
Well got the first coat of the sealant on. Got a belt sander and got what looked like exterior paint off (stupid previous owners.) Not that bad, though my lower back hurts like fuck. At 6'4" it seems that every tool with a handle to push it is built for a 5'10" guy and a makes me push it with a slight unnatural bend. After pushing that heavy fucking thing I wish I had TT nearby to give me an Rx.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

The Sybian wrote: All-in was $10K. I went with a large local company that has plumbers, HVAC, and electricians, so they sent over one of their own to run a wire through my ceiling, along my garage and out the back. I have a sercive contract with them, that knocked of about $3k, and got lucky in timing, as they ran a free furnace with install of an A/C.

I went with the middle option on both A/C and furnace. 16 SEER A/C and two-stage furnace, no variable speed. The options can swing the price a couple grand either way. Did your pricing include installation? IF so, I'm going to step out and punch some walls.
First hot day rolls around, A/C only gets the house down to 75. My house is extremely inconsistent temperature wise, so the kitchen was 79 with the AC on full. Tech comes out, adds a pound of refrigerant, and the temps out of the registers drops. He stuck around until the thermostat temps dropped a degree. Couple hours later, 73 is the lowest I can get the thermostat. Next day is hotter, so 74 is the best it can do. I call back, and the HVAC dispatcher says they are booked through the week, because so many people turned on the AC for the first time, and have no AC. Then he tells me home ACs are only able to lower the temperature 25-30 degrees below the outdoor temp. He pauses and says, "according to my iPhone, the outdoor temps is 90, so..." Yeah, fucker. That's 15 degrees. I get it, other people's homes are hotter, but I paid you $10k 2 weeks ago, and your system isn't working. Fucking fix it.

They got me in 2 days later due to a cancellation, and the tech says everything is working, registers are showing temps where they should be. He is completely stumped. My guess is they sold me a unit to small to get the job done. I had three estimates, and all three recommended the same size condenser, so I don't fucking know.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Let's chat doorknob replacements. Our upstairs has 9 doorknobs and maybe like 3 of them match. Half of them are loose and probably 90% stripped. They are all variations of this ...

1. How tough is it to find new matches for the old style with the large (5" (wink)) strike plates

2. Is there a common way to fill the old lock holes?

Not looking for anything crazy, just the standard inside knob type ...

How bad?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Those are pretty old school knob jobs. It's probably going to be tough to find what you are looking for that will look nice unless you put something like this over it to cover the bottom hole (which won't be neccesary for newer knobs with in-handle mechanisms.)

Based on the picture you showed, that would probably be four new holes, so the stripping wouldn't be an issue. I imagine the big box stores have soemthing usable for that purpose.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Alternately you could go with something like this, which are meant for entry doors, but might work, and seem to be cheaper than doing what I posted above:

But it also doesn't look as slick, IMO.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, I don't like the way that looks at all. I was hoping more for either a good cover idea or an easy fill/paint option for the lock hole. Not happening?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote:Yeah, I don't like the way that looks at all. I was hoping more for either a good cover idea or an easy fill/paint option for the lock hole. Not happening?
I think the fill/paint would work, and they make plenty of options for that. But I don't know how much you'd like that look, either. Best thing to do would be go get a small amount of wood filler and paint and do one hole with the doorknob off to make sure you are OK with that. That will be the easiest method, of course. I've just never had much luck with it looking natural that way.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

What if this is a mortise lock? I think it might be now that I've googled more and learned what a mortise lock is.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote:What if this is a mortise lock? I think it might be now that I've googled more and learned what a mortise lock is.
It could be. Hard to tell without a side view I guess.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I replaced a toilet handle and lever last night!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The more I think about it that almost has to be a mortise lock, like you said. Which means you will need to replace with a mortise lock or custom cut some wood to fill the mortise hole, then drill your own regular knob hole.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'm about ready to tear up and burn every piece of vegetation on my property if it means never having to deal with another fucking sprinkler system leak ever again.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote:I'm about ready to tear up and burn every piece of vegetation on my property if it means never having to deal with another fucking sprinkler system leak ever again.
Better not let the water police catch you.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

govmentchedda wrote:
brian wrote:I'm about ready to tear up and burn every piece of vegetation on my property if it means never having to deal with another fucking sprinkler system leak ever again.
Better not let the water police catch you.
If I'm not using any water, then I'm a hero to them. I already have the paperwork in to tear up the grass in the front yard and put in desert vegetation. Issue there is the rebate I get is like $500 and the project will cost about $4K. And then there's still the goddamn sprinklers to deal with.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

fuuuuuuuck

I turned the water off when we left for vacation. I turned it on when we returned at around 3:30 or so, and I guess at that point or shortly thereafter a pipe sprang a leak above the ceiling in our basement 1/2 bath.

Ceiling and one of the walls are soaked.

fuuuuuuuck
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

This has been a roller coaster...
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

why did you turn the water off when you left?
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Brontoburglar wrote:why did you turn the water off when you left?

That's a northerner thing.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

A_B wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:why did you turn the water off when you left?

That's a northerner thing.
pipes gon' freeze in August!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A couple (with three kids) moving into the apartment complex we just left were going to be there for six months because pipes just burst and completely flooded out their basement and first floor while they were out of town. Old pipes don't play.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote:A couple (with three kids) moving into the apartment complex we just left were going to be there for six months because pipes just burst and completely flooded out their basement and first floor while they were out of town. Old pipes don't play.
hence why I asked the question, given that the timing makes it seem -- from my non-plumbing expertise perspective -- that the on and off might have had something to do with the issue
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Brontoburglar wrote:
mister d wrote:A couple (with three kids) moving into the apartment complex we just left were going to be there for six months because pipes just burst and completely flooded out their basement and first floor while they were out of town. Old pipes don't play.
hence why I asked the question, given that the timing makes it seem -- from my non-plumbing expertise perspective -- that the on and off might have had something to do with the issue
You fucking think so, doctor???
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

rass wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:
You fucking think so, doctor???
I AM GOOD AT THE LOGIC
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Is there an acceptable level of noise that should come from a water heater? I imagine a low hum is fine but in no way should they sound like a small engine, right?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

That's pretty unusual yes
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A_B wrote:Those are pretty old school knob jobs. It's probably going to be tough to find what you are looking for that will look nice unless you put something like this over it to cover the bottom hole (which won't be neccesary for newer knobs with in-handle mechanisms.)

Based on the picture you showed, that would probably be four new holes, so the stripping wouldn't be an issue. I imagine the big box stores have soemthing usable for that purpose.
Love me the oil-rubbed bronze (or copper) look.

That's what we're going with on our bathroom redesign that's targeted to finish this coming Tuesday.

Of course, one of the Salvadorans just walked off the job, taking some critical power tools home with him, claiming he was "nobody's apprentice". Apparently there was an issue between two of the workers.

Ay yay yay.
Noli Timere Messorem
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

P.D.X. wrote:Is there an acceptable level of noise that should come from a water heater? I imagine a low hum is fine but in no way should they sound like a small engine, right?
Is it one of the old fashioned kind with the 40-gallon tank, or the "on demand" type?

We bought an on-demand heater last spring. Spent a bunch of money on it. It sucks.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

EnochRoot wrote:Love me the oil-rubbed bro......coming...Of course...j...off...with him...aiming...a.t...t.issue...

Ay yay yay.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

rass wrote:
EnochRoot wrote:Love me the oil-rubbed bro......coming...Of course...j...off...with him...aiming...a.t...t.issue...

Ay yay yay.
Brilliant.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

My turn!
EnochRoot wrote:Love me the oil-rubbed b...on...er...

That... w...a...s... targeted to finish ... coming Tuesday.

Of course, one of the Salvadorans j...ed off ...me with ...m...y ...parent...s...

Ay yay yay.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Steve of phpBB wrote:
P.D.X. wrote:Is there an acceptable level of noise that should come from a water heater? I imagine a low hum is fine but in no way should they sound like a small engine, right?
Is it one of the old fashioned kind with the 40-gallon tank, or the "on demand" type?

We bought an on-demand heater last spring. Spent a bunch of money on it. It sucks.
Really? That's item #1 on the next home I buy. I love the idea of tankless.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Is it making any knocking noises? If it is, don't ignore it. The tank can seize up and all the water will come pouring out.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote:My turn!
EnochRoot wrote:Love me the oil-rubbed b...on...er...

That... w...a...s... targeted to finish ... coming Tuesday.

Of course, one of the Salvadorans j...ed off ...me with ...m...y ...parent...s...

Ay yay yay.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Steve of phpBB wrote:

Old-fashioned (but only a year old). Big 'ol tank. It'll turn on in the middle of the night and sound like someone is running a generator in my closet.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Note to self...
Noli Timere Messorem
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

BSF21 wrote:
Steve of phpBB wrote:

Really? That's item #1 on the next home I buy. I love the idea of tankless.
We loved the idea, too. But we end up using a lot more water now, because it has to run longer until hot water comes from a faucet or spigot. And the electric heater makes a humming noise that our previous heater, which was gas, did not. And it does not seem to give us a consistent temperature when taking a shower - it gets hotter, then colder, without following any particular pattern.

I guess we are saving on gas by using this, but living in Utah I feel worse about the extra water use.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

It's fine if it's attached to a small plane. However, even short of this you can get some noise if there's a lot of sediment in the tank, which can get disrupted when heat is applied. If you're listening hard for it, I can imagine it being described as a small engine. More like a low rumble in my view.

By any chance, could this be water hammer? I wouldn't describe this as like an engine. But perhaps in some cases some would. Probably a lot on this common problem on ye olde internet.