Home Repairs

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Home Repairs

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:58 pm
Johnnie wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:49 pm ...aaaaaand the roof is leaking.

Just got my new appliances yesterday and had to have the connectors that go to the washer replaced, so here's this new problem.

Yay.
And it never ends. This shit is constant.
The week I'm moving in my buddy who's helping out looks at my ceiling and goes "what the hell is that?" It's bubbled. Our minds went to "water damage." But it hadn't rained and this wasn't noticed during the inspection. I took pics and asked my buddy (who's also my realtor) about it. So I'm thinking it's an oversight.

Well fast forward to yesterday and it rains pretty steadily. I get home and it's just dripping through. Ran to home Depot and bought a ladder to get to my roof. The section of the roof where I figure this is leaking from is fine by all accounts. The other part of my roof, I learn, is a standing kiddy pool of water because it doesn't slope outward. There's no noticable damage, but the site was unsettling.

So yeah. My roof should not be doing this. But naturally this wouldn't have been caught without a rain storm. And the roof was redone not to long ago either. So something's up.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Kitchen reno is just about done. Pretty much just finishing touches/touch-ups left. My wife wanted shiplap in the dining room (we took down 1/2 of the wall between the kitchen and dining room, left a breakfast bar there, so they're pretty much one big room now) and it went up yesterday and I think I don't like it. I told her as much last night and then had to back off because I made her sad (I was able to too perfectly describe my hangup when I told her the walls looked like a retail store). Going to have to eat this one.

Everything else looks great.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

My water heater blew up this morning. So that sucks.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Is this literal or figurative?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

mister d wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:28 am Is this literal or figurative?
Quite literal unfortunately. Waiting on someone to come out now. I'd replace it myself but I've got 2 problems. A) it's in a very tight space and B) it's gas and I don't fuck with things that blow my house up if I don't install them correctly.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

rass wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:33 am Kitchen reno is just about done. Pretty much just finishing touches/touch-ups left. My wife wanted shiplap in the dining room (we took down 1/2 of the wall between the kitchen and dining room, left a breakfast bar there, so they're pretty much one big room now) and it went up yesterday and I think I don't like it. I told her as much last night and then had to back off because I made her sad (I was able to too perfectly describe my hangup when I told her the walls looked like a retail store). Going to have to eat this one.

Everything else looks great.
I really, really want to see this project. I'm dying to renovate my kitchen and I keep trying to figure out where to start. I had a contractor come through and gauge what I want to have done and what makes sense. I want to knock out a wall, remove a section of wall in the kitchen, tile everything, get new cabinets and countertops. But I want to do the tiling. I also want to hang cabinets. And if demo-ing a couple walls is like 3 grand in labor, I can do that too.

Also, in terms of my roof, I think I've fixed it. Went to a tile laying class at a local tile shop and a guy who worked there used to do roofs. I explained to him my situation and by looking at pics of the front of my house, he was able to say "Yea, it's not your TPO. That stuff is very strong. Try looking at the shingles at the front of your house. There's probably a gap there."

Sure as shit, there was. I bought a caulking gun and heavy duty roofing sealant for $15 or so. Caulked the shit out of the shingled area and done. We've had biblical rains over these last couple weeks and nothing. And to think the actual roofer who redid the roof a couple years ago couldn't find anything. 40 years of experience, my ass.

However, I do want to add a canale to my roof because it pools too much for my liking.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

We learned that roofers are insanely literal about being ROOFers. Anything sub-roof level is a totally different ask (and contract).
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:44 am We learned that roofers are insanely literal about being ROOFers. Anything sub-roof level is a totally different ask (and contract).
Yea, he relunctantly came out because he redid the TPO 3 years ago as part of a favor to a friend. So there's no warranty at all associated with this new-ish roof. Typically there's a 5 year warranty. His current business that he owns honors a 5 year warranty, but he didn't have his own business when the roof was redone. And the person that got the roof done skimped on upgrades. There's no sloping, so there's more pooling then there should be (in my opinion.)

All this made me realize that a disclosure agreement is vitally important when buying a house. In New Mexico one isn't needed if the person selling didn't live at the residence. I wish I was told that at some point in the process. I probably would've passed.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

BSF21 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:36 am
Quite literal unfortunately. Waiting on someone to come out now. I'd replace it myself but I've got 2 problems. A) it's in a very tight space and B) it's gas and I don't fuck with things that blow my house up if I don't install them correctly.
A) you store your water heater in the backseat of a Volkswagen bug?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:22 pm
Wow. Deep pull.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:23 pm
Wow. Deep pull.
Proud of that one.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:11 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:23 pm
Wow. Deep pull.
Proud of that one.
Least it made me smile while my bank account frowns.

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:33 am My wife wanted shiplap in the dining room
She watch too many episodes of Fixer Upper?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Just when I thought I solved my roof problem in the living room, this ceiling issue was just noticed in the bedroom.

It's actually damp despite there being no rain today. And there's no indicator from outside or on the roof that there's a leak.

Those small couple of divots is from me pushing on it with a broom. There's movement over a large area. This is ridiculous.

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Plumbing issue?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

A_B wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:42 amPlumbing issue?
I don't think that's it. My house is 1 floor. This is in the far corner of the bedroom in the back of the house. So I don't know what pipes you would put there. My water heater is on the opposite end of the house as well.

But it's clearly something serious because it's still damp as of this morning.

Edit:

Now that I can see the outside in the daylight, this canale is sure to be leaking. Fuck me.

Last edited by Johnnie on Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Guilty of murder or not he killed Atlanta nightlife and it still hasn't come back. He is the reason bars stop serving at 2 and a shake shack and tom Ford in place of fishbowls and window swings in Buckhead. Guy changed Atlanta more than anyone since the Olympics.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:23 am Guilty of murder or not he killed Atlanta nightlife and it still hasn't come back. He is the reason bars stop serving at 2 and a shake shack and tom Ford in place of fishbowls and window swings in Buckhead. Guy changed Atlanta more than anyone since the Olympics.
wow must be a really good guy at fixing houses
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

This thread got dark quick.

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Ha.

If Johnnie or anyone else is interested in seeing the more or less finished product (minus furniture in the dining room, which she still hasn’t picked out):

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dVtwYmbjvmrzoRyB7
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Looks nice
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Very nice!
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Awesome stuff. What brand are your appliances? They look exactly like mine. Except I have an electric range.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Does look like someone's wife would pay up for your home so job well done. And you get to enjoy before you sell. I'm destined to upgrade a master bath and not get to fuck in it.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

By “someone’s wife”, he means me.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:20 pm Awesome stuff. What brand are your appliances? They look exactly like mine. Except I have an electric range.
GE (Adora line)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:30 pm Ha.

If Johnnie or anyone else is interested in seeing the more or less finished product (minus furniture in the dining room, which she still hasn’t picked out):

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dVtwYmbjvmrzoRyB7
Looks great! That's about the flooring I want in my kitchen, but we have the same floors throughout the entire upstairs, and they continued the same stain through the trim, stairs, railings... To replace the floor or stain it darker, we'd have to redo the entire house.

We finally pulled the trigger (again) on an addition, kitchen and master bath remodel. Signed the contract this morning. My wife wanted to sell instead, but we just haven't been able to find anything in our town, and the kids put up a stink when we discuss moving towns. If we went one mile West into the next town, we could find a lot of houses we'd love in our price range, and they'd be about $300,000 less than if it was in my town. Fucking annoying. Anyways, we decided to go with the addition Friday morning, then a couple hours later my wife sends what looks like our dream home. We realized there are issues, so now she (hopefully) feels better remodelling and staying in our house. This has been a decision 2 years in the making, so I hope this pans out.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Better delete Zillow (or whatever) from her phone.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

It’s very weird how entry housing prices are brutal out until BH and then there’s a hard stop.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:56 pm It’s very weird how entry housing prices are brutal out until BH and then there’s a hard stop.
Yeah, it's not like Gillette and Stirling don't have train stations. For some reason, BH is considered a great commuter town, but literally one extra stop isn't. Not sure if there is no parking there or what, but I don't think any trains that stop in BH pass those towns. The schools are highly rated, too, so I have no idea what the issue is. I wish I could go back 10 years and convince myself to look at Stirling and Gillette. I thought they were rural farm towns for some reason, and we didn't look at them.
-Pruitt
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

So I have a few old phone jack outlets that are kind of unsightly and would like to replace with blank wall plates. Is there a best way to deal with the wiring behind it to make it safe? I don't have much knowledge of this type of thing, so any input would be appreciated.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Phone wires pretty harmless. Cut em down and wrap in electrical tape and you should be fine. Even more so if you go to the phone box and disconnect them there.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:10 am So I have a few old phone jack outlets that are kind of unsightly and would like to replace with blank wall plates. Is there a best way to deal with the wiring behind it to make it safe? I don't have much knowledge of this type of thing, so any input would be appreciated.
Phone wires don't carry current from the panel as far as I know so you'd be safe, but if you want to make sure it's all good, cut them, strip them, twist them together and put a plastic wirecap on them, then put the blank panel up.

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:10 am So I have a few old phone jack outlets that are kind of unsightly and would like to replace with blank wall plates. Is there a best way to deal with the wiring behind it to make it safe? I don't have much knowledge of this type of thing, so any input would be appreciated.
Since it's phone wires and not electrical, there shouldn't be any safety issues, right? Just cut whatever is in the way. I would think. Better advise would be not to listen to me, because I don't know what I'm talking about.
-Pruitt
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

What is running into the phone jack should be fine as is but if want take the extra precaution I would take one of those wire nuts/wire connectors and twist it onto the end of the wire/wires a few times then secure it with some electrical tape. You might need to strip away some of the insulation from the wire to get the wire nut to hold, depending on how much wire is exposed now.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Thanks everyone for the input. Going to probably go with the seal-off-the-wires approach.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

So I have to replace the faucet in the kitchen sink. Why is it a thing to put frames behind cabinet doors? There’s a frame that splits the accessible area underneath the sink in two. Basically, I have to lose 50 lbs to even think about taking out the old faucet and installing the new one.

Madness.
Noli Timere Messorem
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:28 pm So I have to replace the faucet in the kitchen sink. Why is it a thing to put frames behind cabinet doors? There’s a frame that splits the accessible area underneath the sink in two. Basically, I have to lose 50 lbs to even think about taking out the old faucet and installing the new one.

Madness.
Just do what I'm having done as I type this..get the whole sink replaced. I'm a little nervous, though...install dudes just had to run out to buy a tool to shave off some counter for the drop-in space.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Yeah I had a hell of a time changing a faucet out for that same reason.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

GoodKarma wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:38 am
EnochRoot wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:28 pm So I have to replace the faucet in the kitchen sink. Why is it a thing to put frames behind cabinet doors? There’s a frame that splits the accessible area underneath the sink in two. Basically, I have to lose 50 lbs to even think about taking out the old faucet and installing the new one.

Madness.
Just do what I'm having done as I type this..get the whole sink replaced. I'm a little nervous, though...install dudes just had to run out to buy a tool to shave off some counter for the drop-in space.
I was thinking about this and thought enough to scout for 22x25 sinks to drop in. Hell, may as well start that kitchen redesign, bit by bit.
A_B wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:43 am Yeah I had a hell of a time changing a faucet out for that same reason.
It's almost as if they design these systems thinking you're replacing the sink at the same time as your faucet. Planned obsolescence run amok.
Noli Timere Messorem