Home Repairs

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Home Repairs

Post by mister d »

Oh, yeah, I meant which appliances or other household stuff should use them.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

mister d wrote:Oh, yeah, I meant which appliances or other household stuff should use them.

I’d install a surge protector/outlet to replace your regular outlet... For any Smart Appliances/electronics, I’d Protect based on a Replacement cost matrix.

Call it the SAPR.
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

EnochRoot wrote:
mister d wrote:Oh, yeah, I meant which appliances or other household stuff should use them.

I’d install a surge protector/outlet to replace your regular outlet... For any Smart Appliances/electronics, I’d Protect based on a Replacement cost matrix.

Call it the SAPR.

I suppose I should do that, too. Back in September, we bought a new Bosch washer/dryer set to replace our 14 year-old Bosch set. The very first fucking time I used it, the washer worked for thirty seconds before there was a loud pop, a flipped breaker and the smell of sizzling circuitry. The panel fried. The dealer wanted to fix it but we went over his head to Bosch and demanded (whined for) a new washer, which they did (eventually) provide.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Had a handyman over to install a couple of new faucets which quickly turned into some major plumbing repairs and $1300 later, I have two new sinks, pipes and three new faucets.

The joys of home ownership.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

brian wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:49 pm Had a handyman over to install a couple of new faucets which quickly turned into some major plumbing repairs and $1300 later, I have two new sinks, pipes and three new faucets.

Full credit to the guy for the upsell
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

GoodKarma wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:56 pm
brian wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:49 pm Had a handyman over to install a couple of new faucets which quickly turned into some major plumbing repairs and $1300 later, I have two new sinks, pipes and three new faucets.

Full credit to the guy for the upsell
Oh, there was no upsell. We discovered a pretty bad leak we weren't aware of so credit to the guy for inspecting all of the plumbing before doing the job. It was going to have to be fixed soon regardless so easier to just do it when the guy's already here.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Good news I suppose is that the water to the tub in the master bath has been turned back on now so I'm going to try to take $1,300 worth of baths in the next few years I guess.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Sounds like you already took one. Hey-o
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Wait. Water was already turned off to the master? So you knew you had a problem?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:41 pm Wait. Water was already turned off to the master? So you knew you had a problem?
Only to the tub in the master bath (because of a drip we didn’t want to bother fixing). This project was initially to fix that and install a couple of new faucets and ballooned from there.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

OK, this isn't a Home Repair issue, but it seemed like as good a place as any to drop this.

We have fairly small yards in our neighborhood. And, my wife has been stewing for years over the fact that the fence between our yard and the neighbors behind us is more into our yard than is the case for the houses on either the left or right side. Then, a few months ago, neighbor comes over on a Friday and says fence contractor is coming on Monday to put in a new fence but not to worry because he will pay for it. Shit, we hadn't gotten the survey done yet, and boom it's up before we know it. Sure enough, the new fence seems even a little more into our yard.

So, we hired a surveyor in December to ascertain our exact property lines. But, he couldn't come out until February. So, upon advice from a lawyer, we sent the neighbor a letter in December advising we are doing a survey. We got the results back last week, and the fence is into our yard by one foot seven inches on one corner, and five inches on the other side. I was tempted to just let it slide, but my wife wants to go to war, and I'd rather fight the neighbors than her. Like I said, it isn't like we have a big lot. This isn't an insignificant amount of land, and with the value of land out here...

So, last Friday, we took a copy of the survey over to the neighbor's house and told them we wanted them to move the fence. They hit the roof. The fence is really high (too high for code) and we didn't know what they've done over there, but they've poured a concrete pad in the corner that is most into our yard, with a small shed on top of it. (It's against code to pour concrete or put up a structure within a certain distance of the property line/fence, so that is against code.) They've also planted trees and shrubs right against the fence, so no doubt any future fence would have to be built even further into our yard. They wailed about how devastating it would be to move the fence, but I'm of a mind to make them do it.

We spoke to our lawyer again, who advises the neighbor has no leg to stand on. I fucking hate conflict, but I'm going to support my wife. The lawyer is going to draft a letter for us to send to the neighbor. We'll allow an amount of time for them to move their landscaping but we want the fence moved. They are going to shit and bitch about the concrete and will cut down the trees, but they constantly have projects going in their backyard anyway, so fuck it. We don't want to sell that land (not that they've offered), and I think it's better to swallow the bitter pill now, than to let this fester.

What say the Swamp? Am I being reasonable?
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Seems reasonable. Hindsight being 20/20, it probably would have been a good idea to warn the neighbor when they told you they were putting a new fence up that you wanted to or were getting a survey done to check the property line...but nothing you can do about that now. It's still on them to put the fence in the right place regardless.
What am I, 12?
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:22 pm OK, this isn't a Home Repair issue, but it seemed like as good a place as any to drop this.

We have fairly small yards in our neighborhood. And, my wife has been stewing for years over the fact that the fence between our yard and the neighbors behind us is more into our yard than is the case for the houses on either the left or right side. Then, a few months ago, neighbor comes over on a Friday and says fence contractor is coming on Monday to put in a new fence but not to worry because he will pay for it. Shit, we hadn't gotten the survey done yet, and boom it's up before we know it. Sure enough, the new fence seems even a little more into our yard.

So, we hired a surveyor in December to ascertain our exact property lines. But, he couldn't come out until February. So, upon advice from a lawyer, we sent the neighbor a letter in December advising we are doing a survey. We got the results back last week, and the fence is into our yard by one foot seven inches on one corner, and five inches on the other side. I was tempted to just let it slide, but my wife wants to go to war, and I'd rather fight the neighbors than her. Like I said, it isn't like we have a big lot. This isn't an insignificant amount of land, and with the value of land out here...

So, last Friday, we took a copy of the survey over to the neighbor's house and told them we wanted them to move the fence. They hit the roof. The fence is really high (too high for code) and we didn't know what they've done over there, but they've poured a concrete pad in the corner that is most into our yard, with a small shed on top of it. (It's against code to pour concrete or put up a structure within a certain distance of the property line/fence, so that is against code.) They've also planted trees and shrubs right against the fence, so no doubt any future fence would have to be built even further into our yard. They wailed about how devastating it would be to move the fence, but I'm of a mind to make them do it.

We spoke to our lawyer again, who advises the neighbor has no leg to stand on. I fucking hate conflict, but I'm going to support my wife. The lawyer is going to draft a letter for us to send to the neighbor. We'll allow an amount of time for them to move their landscaping but we want the fence moved. They are going to shit and bitch about the concrete and will cut down the trees, but they constantly have projects going in their backyard anyway, so fuck it. We don't want to sell that land (not that they've offered), and I think it's better to swallow the bitter pill now, than to let this fester.

fucking robert frost.

having never had a fence installed, i would assume that the contractor would need a permit which would require a survey so this shit doesn't happen, no? you paid a fair amount for the property you own, and there's x amount of square footage that you can't use or see.

the question is whether it is worth the lawyer's take. happy wife happy life.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So much of how I'd react would be based on whether I thought they knew or even suspected they were stealing some space. (Not that you'd be wrong under any circumstances.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

cerrano wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:36 pm
sancarlos wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:22 pm OK, this isn't a Home Repair issue, but it seemed like as good a place as any to drop this.

fucking robert frost.

having never had a fence installed, i would assume that the contractor would need a permit which would require a survey so this shit doesn't happen, no? you paid a fair amount for the property you own, and there's x amount of square footage that you can't use or see.

the question is whether it is worth the lawyer's take. happy wife happy life.
You're being reasonable. Simply put, they added value to their home and took some away from yours. Follow legal advice. I'd probably sarcastically tell them to sue their contractor who should've known better than to do that. The law's on your side. Actually, this might be the only time where it's clear cut. Once you sell the home, the new owner won't have any recourse unless he stipulates the landscaping get corrected as a condition of purchase. Or something like that.
Last edited by EnochRoot on Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noli Timere Messorem
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

If one were to steal space, how would it be done? Move the fence and put shit there that makes it hard to move the fence back.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

P.D.X. wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:48 pm If one were to steal space, how would it be done? Move the fence and put shit there that makes it hard to move the fence back.
As I understand it, they can't steal ownership of land. They only have possession.

Neighbor claims the fence location was always pretty much like this. Wife says that is untrue and that they moved the fence 15 years ago when the previous fence went up. But, in the end, it doesn't matter. Lawyer advises that your land is your land, regardless of fence location.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I’d offer for them to leave it where it is but pay you for your property. You’d probably get a nice check that would be less than what they’d have to pay to fix everything. Figure out the square footage and what percentage it is of your lot and ask for that plus something for your understanding.

Then you can decide whether to have the deed/plat updated but if so make them pay for that too.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:00 pm I’d offer for them to leave it where it is but pay you for your property. You’d probably get a nice check that would be less than what they’d have to pay to fix everything. Figure out the square footage and what percentage it is of your lot and ask for that plus something for your understanding.

Then you can decide whether to have the deed/plat updated but if so make them pay for that too.
Yeah, my wife and I discussed that. It's a hard no.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I’m probably not the best person to ask though because I get pissed when our neighbors lawn guy cuts my grass too much on the side we share.

He cuts it too low.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

It’s actually not as simple as just letting them keep the fence. If you don’t fight it and let them keep their concrete, shed, planting’s, etc, they could eventually just claim that land. There’s tons of legal precedent for that.

For that reason, my wife (an attorney, of course) has always been very anal about where our neighbors plant things near our property line.

So yes, you need to fight it.
Totally Kafkaesque
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Shirley wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:12 am It’s actually not as simple as just letting them keep the fence. If you don’t fight it and let them keep their concrete, shed, planting’s, etc, they could eventually just claim that land. There’s tons of legal precedent for that.

For that reason, my wife (an attorney, of course) has always been very anal about where our neighbors plant things near our property line.

So yes, you need to fight it.
Yup. In Alabama, if you can prove that you've been maintaining the portion of the property for a set term, at some point you can claim ownership.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Anyone familiar with window (+ sliding glass door) replacement? Getting a few bids tomorrow and don't know enough about them to avoid even the most obvious of hoodwinking.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Tell them you’re getting multiple quotes. And you should be able to discern decent pricing by checking against a Lowe’s or something online.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

For the sliding glass door at least, ask if they warranty the install and will come back to make adjustments if you have issues with it being drafty or difficult to open. My neighbor had issues with his Andersen sliding door not working properly...took them two subsequent trips to resolve the issue.
What am I, 12?
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Thumbs up to both.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Lowe’s prices might be lower and not include installation but they probably have a fee someowhere that tells you what it is.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

A_B wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 5:52 pm The Lowe’s prices might be lower and not include installation but they probably have a fee someowhere that tells you what it is.
Yeah I need to double check that. I was told that I have non-standard size windows but haven't really done my homework yet.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I swear we've done this before.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 6:57 pm I swear we've done this before.
100 percent. When he said non standRd size I had deja vu
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Like I know I said something about doing all windows at once and he said he only had like four.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If not, this is some fucked up swamp Berenstein Bears deal.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Well, I look forward to being part of this thread eventually. There are plenty of things to upgrade in the house I'm in the process of buying. I honestly want to learn how to do the stuff, really. Like replace the old, ratty fence in the backyard, for example.

One thing I seem to be doing that's atypical of people that buy a new place is to renovate something immediately. I simply don't have the money to upgrade the kitchen or bathroom.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Johnnie wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:20 pm Well, I look forward to being part of this thread eventually. There are plenty of things to upgrade in the house I'm in the process of buying. I honestly want to learn how to do the stuff, really. Like replace the old, ratty fence in the backyard, for example.

One thing I seem to be doing that's atypical of people that buy a new place is to renovate something immediately. I simply don't have the money to upgrade the kitchen or bathroom.
Our first house was a major remodel. We gutted the bathroom and added a half bath. We waited another 8 years before doing the kitchen. I really enjoyed doing the tile work in the bathrooms and shower.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 7:26 pm
mister d wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 6:57 pm I swear we've done this before.
100 percent. When he said non standRd size I had deja vu
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

^ Oh boy.

Had this discussion like a year ago when I got a quote for like $8k. Haven't done anything until now otherwise.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Johnnie wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:20 pmOne thing I seem to be doing that's atypical of people that buy a new place is to renovate something immediately. I simply don't have the money to upgrade the kitchen or bathroom.
I'd wager that a lot of those people (like myself) did a re-fi or a sale for the downpayment and have additional funds leftover. I had no idea what the appraisal of the new place was going to come in at so allowed for a cushion. Didn't end up needing those funds for closing so been putting them towards upgrades.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

As mentioned somewhere (random thoughts, it looks like) we're having our kitchen and dining room remodeled. We're taking down part of a wall between the two rooms, but otherwise the dining room is pretty much just getting recessed lighting and new walls while the kitchen is getting a full redo. We cleaned everything out, a dumpster sprouted in our driveway yesterday, and demolition on the kitchen starts today. Hopefully nothing unexpected occurs, and we spend a blissful month+ with a refrigerator in our living room, eating takeout and using lots of disposable plates, cups and utensils.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

rass wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 6:29 am As mentioned somewhere (random thoughts, it looks like) we're having our kitchen and dining room remodeled. We're taking down part of a wall between the two rooms, but otherwise the dining room is pretty much just getting recessed lighting and new walls while the kitchen is getting a full redo. We cleaned everything out, a dumpster sprouted in our driveway yesterday, and demolition on the kitchen starts today. Hopefully nothing unexpected occurs, and we spend a blissful month+ with a refrigerator in our living room, eating takeout and using lots of disposable plates, cups and utensils.
I essentially did the same thing as you two years ago. Removing the wall opened up the interior substantially, and it looks much better. In the kitchen, we drastically increased our storage and countertop space, which was sorely needed because the old kitchen had a cooktop stove and a built-in oven. It was a waste of wall space in the kitchen.

The downside is I think I gained about 10 pounds from eating so much microwaved food since we had no stove. We bought a gas grill and used it quite a bit, too.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I just redid my kitchen and living room, but didn't go full renovation given how much I had spent on the basement unexpectedly last year.

I painted the cabinets and walls, refinished the countertops (which look so much better) to look like granite, replaced a shitty counter and cheap cabinets on the other side with a butcher's block and a kitchen cart for storage and redid the floor.

and then in the living room I moved some furniture around, painted that as well, bought new curtains and rugs, took down two of the mirrors in the room and put up floating shelves from the leftover butcher block piece that we cut to fit between the oven and fridge

oh and then had the garage mudjacked to help accompany all the drainage work to prevent future water seepage into the basement

it was enough to make me think that I'm living in a newer house. I think new basement windows are next, but fear I'll have to get them professionally installed as they may be too complicated for myself and my handyman to do
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer