Home Repairs

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Home Repairs

Post by A_B »

Could just be the thermostat, which would then depend on make and model. Ovens don't have a lot of moving parts, so it may not be terribly difficult to replace on your own. Since the burners work, it's likely that the feed lines are OK.

Maybe pilot light? It's been a while since I looked inside a gas oven, so I have limited ideas.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:52 pm So our oven won’t start. You press BAKE, and then set the temperature, and then soon after it just clicks. No gas. The burners on the top work fine though.

How much is this going to cost me to repair?
Before or after you accidentally set of a fireball in your kitchen?
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:52 pm So our oven won’t start. You press BAKE, and then set the temperature, and then soon after it just clicks. No gas. The burners on the top work fine though.

How much is this going to cost me to repair?
I'm guessing your oven is newer (like within 10-15 years old) so it could be the control board...I had one go out on mine. Cost about $350 to have replaced.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

How old is it? Might be worth it to buy a new one.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

It’s a Maytag, Precision Touch 700. Maybe 15 years old? I dunno. It was pre-installed when we bought the house 13 years ago.

This is the manual

https://shared.whirlpoolcorp.com/assets ... 735-60.pdf
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

So, quick question: Is $200/hr a reasonable rate for an electrician? I don't have that type of work done very often, this place came recommended but the price tag kind of threw me.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:31 am So, quick question: Is $200/hr a reasonable rate for an electrician? I don't have that type of work done very often, this place came recommended but the price tag kind of threw me.
Seems high to me. Recent guys I have hired in Colorado seem to be about $120.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Seems high to me as well.

The guy I use is $100/hour.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Not to hijack, but Meg and I just got an agreement done to buy our next home, so we be moving (about 6 miles away from where we are now). We're stoked!
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, that's definitely high. A couple of caveats... It could bake in the cost of travel and/or a ballpark on the cost of materials. Also, not sure what job you're getting done, but if it's tricky or big, they might be boosting the rate to cover that.

Also, a lot of plumbers/electricians/contractors will be you more on the first hour (see above associated costs) and then drop it down in subsequent hours.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

BSF21 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:12 am Not to hijack, but Meg and I just got an agreement done to buy our next home, so we be moving (about 6 miles away from where we are now). We're stoked!
Congratulations!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Good on you, BSF!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

You should move to the "The I need to buy a house thread" thread while you're at it.

(congrats)
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

BSF21 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:12 am Not to hijack, but Meg and I just got an agreement done to buy our next home, so we be moving (about 6 miles away from where we are now). We're stoked!
Tsk, tsk, still plenty of time to back out... unless they cut the price that is for the numerous unknown and newly discovered issues that arose at inspection.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Felt all kinds of manly this weekend on the home repair front. Replaced my front door deadbolt with a new one that can be opened with a code and made smart and replaced the thermostat to a programmable one. Also fixed some drywall where something fell down the stairs and put a small hole right in. Amazingly I don't own a tool belt.

Any of you dingbats done any home automation? What kind of setup do you use? I have a pretty heterogeneous setup right now. Have not done the research on wink or smarthub or running everything through the alarm.com setup. Pretty comfortable with iftt as my glue.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

So I installed a big league mound last weekend. Or at least a bullpen mound. Will post some pics but the neighbor was digging up his pool concrete to install pavers so the contractor set aside a bobcat of georgia clay and I took about 10 wheelbarrows to make a mound in the backyard. Kicks ass id say. Just enough room to expand to 60'6" and installed a mounted rubber about halfway up the hill at 46'. Will steal a five gallon bucket of infield dirt from the ritzy league the kid plays in and maybe it will help keep it soft. As it is it is destined to bake out come july. Not sure its the greatest for the resale value but Tuesday was rained out so back to backs Friday and Saturday so the kid is certain to see the hill.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:12 pm So I installed a big league mound last weekend. Or at least a bullpen mound. Will post some pics but the neighbor was digging up his pool concrete to install pavers so the contractor set aside a bobcat of georgia clay and I took about 10 wheelbarrows to make a mound in the backyard. Kicks ass id say. Just enough room to expand to 60'6" and installed a mounted rubber about halfway up the hill at 46'. Will steal a five gallon bucket of infield dirt from the ritzy league the kid plays in and maybe it will help keep it soft. As it is it is destined to bake out come july. Not sure its the greatest for the resale value but Tuesday was rained out so back to backs Friday and Saturday so the kid is certain to see the hill.
That is fantastic.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:16 pm
HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:12 pm So I installed a big league mound last weekend. Or at least a bullpen mound. Will post some pics but the neighbor was digging up his pool concrete to install pavers so the contractor set aside a bobcat of georgia clay and I took about 10 wheelbarrows to make a mound in the backyard. Kicks ass id say. Just enough room to expand to 60'6" and installed a mounted rubber about halfway up the hill at 46'. Will steal a five gallon bucket of infield dirt from the ritzy league the kid plays in and maybe it will help keep it soft. As it is it is destined to bake out come july. Not sure its the greatest for the resale value but Tuesday was rained out so back to backs Friday and Saturday so the kid is certain to see the hill.
That is fantastic.
Go whole hog...https://www.ejourneytohealth.com/wiffle ... lds...will be most popular spot in town
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:12 pmJust enough room to expand to 60'6"
Does this mean you're officially against the proposal to move the mound back 2 feet?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I have a leaky bathroom faucet and I can't turn the water off to fix it. The thing just won't budge. Any ideas other than "don't be a weakling"?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:41 am I have a leaky bathroom faucet and I can't turn the water off to fix it. The thing just won't budge. Any ideas other than "don't be a weakling"?
If you have hard water, that can corrode the internal working of a faucet. We've had leaks from the bottom of knobs (enjoy, Mr... D) because the cartridges decay, and a sin shutoff valve that had to be replaced because it corroded and couldn't be turned off.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Oh yeah the leak is just coming right from the faucet though. The valves don't look corroded but yeah...both of them won't turn at all.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

You could turn the water supply off to the whole house. then run cold water until the line is clear, I think. but you should probably just fix that knob, while you're at it.

ETA: if the hot won't turn either you should replace it, too. so shut off everything coming out of hot water heater and let that run, too.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

And, to be clear, righty tighy lefty loosy.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:46 am Oh yeah the leak is just coming right from the faucet though. The valves don't look corroded but yeah...both of them won't turn at all.
When we replaced the valves, the knob spun, but the metal piece that closed the valve was corroded, so water came through when in the closed position. It's possible for the valve to be stuck in the open position. From my experience, the best solution to all the potential problems is call a fucking plumber. You can make all of these problems worse.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Facuets and supply lines are EASY!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Okay, I'll turn off the water for the whole house but just to be clear, if the drip is cold, does that automatically mean it's the cold water faucet? Like, a leak from the hot water side would be hot water, right?
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

took two months..
but in the end, paid out of pocket for new granite counter top and sink.. i did the plumbing (saved the quoted $1000!!!) and instead of new cabinets, took them down.. sanded them, painted them, finished them.. new hardware.. new kitchen.
so if you're keeping track, new roof in summer, $5K, new HVAC/Water heater in Nov, $5K, new kitchen, $4K .. $14K all in (including time and materials).. have deck and master bathroom on the honey-do-list this summer.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Anyone more of an eletrician than I? My sister just moved out and making her room into a study/music room. Have one particular socket of an outlet that kills shit in the rest of the room. Doesn't throw a breaker, but kills power for a bit then fine. Seems like every other outlet is fine. Is it more than just the outlet thats f'd? Rather spend the 5$ and replace it before I bring in an electrician to do something that I can do. If it's bigger than that, I'm fine with hiring a dude so i don't fry myself.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:21 pm Anyone more of an eletrician than I? My sister just moved out and making her room into a study/music room. Have one particular socket of an outlet that kills shit in the rest of the room. Doesn't throw a breaker, but kills power for a bit then fine. Seems like every other outlet is fine. Is it more than just the outlet thats f'd? Rather spend the 5$ and replace it before I bring in an electrician to do something that I can do. If it's bigger than that, I'm fine with hiring a dude so i don't fry myself.
Don't fuck with electrical work if you don't know what you are doing. I'm very lucky to walk away being able to give this advice.
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The Sybian wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:27 pm
Rush2112 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:21 pm Anyone more of an eletrician than I? My sister just moved out and making her room into a study/music room. Have one particular socket of an outlet that kills shit in the rest of the room. Doesn't throw a breaker, but kills power for a bit then fine. Seems like every other outlet is fine. Is it more than just the outlet thats f'd? Rather spend the 5$ and replace it before I bring in an electrician to do something that I can do. If it's bigger than that, I'm fine with hiring a dude so i don't fry myself.
Don't fuck with electrical work if you don't know what you are doing. I'm very lucky to walk away being able to give this advice.
Throw the breaker and test it with a hot stick. Replace the outlet for 5$ before you make a 100$ outcall.

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Oh, I turn off power to the whole house before I fuck with shit. I'm just weird that I'd rather get confirmation that my 5$ fix would work before I shell out 5$ or 100$..plus I want to get the room rocking and my electrician of choice doesn't have an opening for a few weeks.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The fact that it doesn't throw the breaker but kills power then works is very odd. Odd in a "call the electrician" kind of way. They may be willing to answer your question over the phone about just needing a new outlet.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

It might be the breaker itself. I had to replace a couple of those in our first house, several years ago. I honestly don't remember how it was I knew I needed to do that, but the $30 or so for the breaker was obviously cheaper than the electrician.

That being said, I'm pretty comfortable with minor electrical work (changing fixtures, etc), but it's like plumbing to me. Once I'm out of my comfort zone, I'd rather a pro look at it than me cause a bigger issue down the road.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

A_B wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:59 am The fact that it doesn't throw the breaker but kills power then works is very odd. Odd in a "call the electrician" kind of way. They may be willing to answer your question over the phone about just needing a new outlet.
I have a friend that's a journeyman electrician, I sent him a message but got impatient waiting and asked the Swamp as well, we've got weird knowledge here.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:27 pmDon't fuck with electrical work if you don't know what you are doing. I'm very lucky to walk away being able to give this advice.
Go on ...
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 11:54 am
The Sybian wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:27 pmDon't fuck with electrical work if you don't know what you are doing. I'm very lucky to walk away being able to give this advice.
Go on ...
Pretty sure I told this one. I was changing the fixture over the dining room table in my previous house. The fixture didn't attach to electrical wires, but into a metal rod that ran through the house. I turned off the breaker labelled "dining room," but didn't think to make sure it was labelled correctly. When I connected the fixture wires to the rod, I saw a white ball of light shoot out, and I was thrown backwards off the ladder. Scared the shit out of me. I still switch out fixtures, but I learned to make sure the power was off. A former coworker's father was an electrician. He made the same mistake I made replacing a fixture, and he died. Not sure if it was the electrocution or the fall off the ladder that killed him.

In college, my laptop plug got stuck in the outlet and my hand slipped off the grip and I touched the prongs while it was still partially plugged in. Hurt like hell, and my arm muscles were twitching for a long time. My roommates found it much funnier than I did.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:56 am Facuets and supply lines are EASY!
We had a plumber in the house a couple weeks ago to install a new garbage disposal. Asked him about also fixing the drippy kitchen faucet. His estimate was in three digits, so fuck that, I'm resigned to living with a drippy faucet.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

sancarlos wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 4:53 pm
A_B wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:56 am Facuets and supply lines are EASY!
We had a plumber in the house a couple weeks ago to install a new garbage disposal. Asked him about also fixing the drippy kitchen faucet. His estimate was in three digits, so fuck that, I'm resigned to living with a drippy faucet.
You can buy a new faucet and install it yourself for the same price. As AB said, it's a simple install.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The Sybian wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 2:38 pm
mister d wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 11:54 am
Go on ...
Pretty sure I told this one. I was changing the fixture over the dining room table in my previous house. The fixture didn't attach to electrical wires, but into a metal rod that ran through the house. I turned off the breaker labelled "dining room," but didn't think to make sure it was labelled correctly. When I connected the fixture wires to the rod, I saw a white ball of light shoot out, and I was thrown backwards off the ladder. Scared the shit out of me. I still switch out fixtures, but I learned to make sure the power was off. A former coworker's father was an electrician. He made the same mistake I made replacing a fixture, and he died. Not sure if it was the electrocution or the fall off the ladder that killed him.

In college, my laptop plug got stuck in the outlet and my hand slipped off the grip and I touched the prongs while it was still partially plugged in. Hurt like hell, and my arm muscles were twitching for a long time. My roommates found it much funnier than I did.
Hot. Stick. Like 4 bucks.