Home Repairs

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Home Repairs

Post by Johnnie »

The contractor came through on Monday. Went through the options and ideas for my remodel. I'm excited. As long as my tastes aren't too extravagant, this should be affordable-ish. (I'm basically sold on Santa Cecelia granite and herringbone tile at a cheaper per square ft price.)

Current kitchen: (that range and fridge have already been upgraded, btw)

Computer generated mock up: (note that that does not take in an additional "L" shape that I'd like pending the price of a slab of granite and a bench across the back wall for seating for a long dinner table.)

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Began the contracting process yesterday. Swiped the credit card for the deposit on the cabinets. In total I think I'm getting a $45k kitchen for around $30k.

The amount I saved through timing of sales (33% on the tile), the contractor discount, (easily $5-$7k for cabinets, $2k for granite), and that my contractor is my boss's cousin... I'm gonna be sitting pretty come January.

And I just learned the house of the street from mine with the exact same floorplan and modest upgrades is pending sale at $10k above mine.

I'm excited.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

welcome to the wonderful world of home ownership

I'm inching closer and closer to the "I'm gonna move" decision. But there's no point in moving in the immediate future. So instead I just browse realtor.com every day.

eta: my neighbor's house is now for sale. stupid cheap, but it needs at least $40K in updating and a third bedroom added back somewhere (he had taken two bedrooms and turned them into one). if I was insane I would buy it and fix it up, but not sure what the resale value is with just a one-car garage and the only access to the basement through the garage
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Rent it out and control your neighbor. Have that rent pay part of your mortgage. At least that's what retired me would try.

But yeah...homeownership is has been trying at times. Redid part of my roof with APOC silicone stuff because of a leak. I'm gonna get the whole thing redone in the spring. And I'm probably going to receiving my living room too due to the water damage it created. Luckily I'm handy with all of this shit, I've found.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Johnnie- don’t hesitate to use homeowners insurance to cover stuff like that either. At our old house, our fridge leaked backwards and runined a five foot section of wood floor on the other side of the wall. Insurance replaced ALL of our connected wood floors in the house. Happened right when we were planning to sell, so we got those upgraded as part of the deal and sold it before the floors even went in.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:29 pm Rent it out and control your neighbor. Have that rent pay part of your mortgage. At least that's what retired me would try.

But yeah...homeownership is has been trying at times. Redid part of my roof with APOC silicone stuff because of a leak. I'm gonna get the whole thing redone in the spring. And I'm probably going to receiving my living room too due to the water damage it created. Luckily I'm handy with all of this shit, I've found.
My parents thought about buying to flip it but it was too much to put in with no guarantee of much profit margin. And I'll be managing rental units soon enough. My parents have three duplexes -- I don't think they wanted a seventh unit to manage and if I did that it wouldn't be profitable until I was likely managing the six units of my family's.

ETA: My neighbor's floor plan is basically the same as mine, but there's no comparison the rest of the way. We're built on a slope so it's a one-level house on the front with a basement that doubles the space of the house that's exposed on the back with a walk-out door.

But mine has a recently redone kitchen, a cutout in the wall between the kitchen and the living room (which helps make the living area feel bigger), wood floors throughout 1.75 bathrooms compared to one outdated one, stairs to the basement on the inside of the house, and a completely finished basement that serves as the main living space in the house.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I need a reality check here:

We are halfway through our kitchen reno, and I thought we were starting an addition and master bath reno in a week or so. Fucking construction manager tells me on Friday he just got the drawings back from the architect for the addition, and we should be finished with the project in March, if everything goes smoothly. The architect came over in early August, and the project manager told me it takes a week, two at the most for the architect to turn around the drawings. I had some issues getting the survey, but when I did, 2 weeks after the architect came over, the manager told me they were submitting to the town for permits.

Initial plan, we were going to start with the addition and master bath, then start the kitchen reno when the outside work on the addition finished. They were going to work on the kitchen and master bath at the same time. They told us we shouldn't have a problem finishing before Thanksgiving, because we host every year, but they put end of December in the contract. Because the survey set us back two weeks (so I thought), they started with the kitchen, and I thought they would start the outside work on the addition approximately today. Since the permit docs aren't even submitted, it'll be more than a month before they start, and March before they are finished.

We debated for 2 years whether to move or renovate. We chose renovate, and now my wife is insistent on stopping the addition/master bath project, We will finish the kitchen, then prep for sale in March. I'm sure we will get something back for the money spent on the kitchen, and presumably have an easier time selling with a new kitchen, but it seems stupid to spend whatever this kitchen is going to end up costing, then selling. Not to mention the hassle of living through it, and dealing with all the bullshit of planning, designing, etc...

OTOH, the bathroom/addition will cost over $100,000, and this house won't be ideal. It's a bi-level, and my wife hates having the kids bedrooms on the same floor as the main living space. My home office is kind of in a public space, so a devoted office with walls would be nice. The master bath is in bad condition, and will need some work, but I think we can get a handyman to fix up the drawers and tiles, maybe paint the 80s blue tiles white, take down the wallpaper and paint, and it could look decent on the cheap. I'm just frustrated as fuck, because we took 2 years to decide, lived with a dying fridge forever because it was a builtin subzero, and I didn't want to buy a $10,000 replacement if we were moving, or if we were building new cabinets that wouldn't require those exact dimensions.

I guess there are way too many variables for anyone to weigh in, most notably it's damn near impossible to find a house in my town in the price range we are looking, and we don't want to move the kids to a different school district. My son is a bit awkward and not socially astute, so moving in 8th grade could be a disaster. We are lucky that he doesn't seem to get bullied or teased at all, and kids seem protective of him from what I've seen and heard. My daughter would be a nightmare of anxiety, but I think she'd make new friends quickly, and she doesn't have any super close friends she'd miss, so she'd adjust quickly. This all fucking sucks, no matter what we do.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Do you plan on being in a house after the kids graduate HS or do you already have the downsize clock ticking?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:23 am I need a reality check here:

We are halfway through our kitchen reno, and I thought we were starting an addition and master bath reno in a week or so. Fucking construction manager tells me on Friday he just got the drawings back from the architect for the addition, and we should be finished with the project in March, if everything goes smoothly. The architect came over in early August, and the project manager told me it takes a week, two at the most for the architect to turn around the drawings. I had some issues getting the survey, but when I did, 2 weeks after the architect came over, the manager told me they were submitting to the town for permits.

Initial plan, we were going to start with the addition and master bath, then start the kitchen reno when the outside work on the addition finished. They were going to work on the kitchen and master bath at the same time. They told us we shouldn't have a problem finishing before Thanksgiving, because we host every year, but they put end of December in the contract. Because the survey set us back two weeks (so I thought), they started with the kitchen, and I thought they would start the outside work on the addition approximately today. Since the permit docs aren't even submitted, it'll be more than a month before they start, and March before they are finished.

We debated for 2 years whether to move or renovate. We chose renovate, and now my wife is insistent on stopping the addition/master bath project, We will finish the kitchen, then prep for sale in March. I'm sure we will get something back for the money spent on the kitchen, and presumably have an easier time selling with a new kitchen, but it seems stupid to spend whatever this kitchen is going to end up costing, then selling. Not to mention the hassle of living through it, and dealing with all the bullshit of planning, designing, etc...

OTOH, the bathroom/addition will cost over $100,000, and this house won't be ideal. It's a bi-level, and my wife hates having the kids bedrooms on the same floor as the main living space. My home office is kind of in a public space, so a devoted office with walls would be nice. The master bath is in bad condition, and will need some work, but I think we can get a handyman to fix up the drawers and tiles, maybe paint the 80s blue tiles white, take down the wallpaper and paint, and it could look decent on the cheap. I'm just frustrated as fuck, because we took 2 years to decide, lived with a dying fridge forever because it was a builtin subzero, and I didn't want to buy a $10,000 replacement if we were moving, or if we were building new cabinets that wouldn't require those exact dimensions.

I guess there are way too many variables for anyone to weigh in, most notably it's damn near impossible to find a house in my town in the price range we are looking, and we don't want to move the kids to a different school district. My son is a bit awkward and not socially astute, so moving in 8th grade could be a disaster. We are lucky that he doesn't seem to get bullied or teased at all, and kids seem protective of him from what I've seen and heard. My daughter would be a nightmare of anxiety, but I think she'd make new friends quickly, and she doesn't have any super close friends she'd miss, so she'd adjust quickly. This all fucking sucks, no matter what we do.
You said even after doing an addition and bath reno "this house won't be ideal". What's ideal? What don't you like that you want/aren't doing? You seem like you don't want to move and are frustrated with the timeline on the reno? If you stop process it's only going to hold things up more. I assume you've already got the equity line you're doing this with and that ship has sailed? You don't seem to want to move so it brings me back round to what are the existing issues with the current house and is the addition you speak of going to solve any of the rooms being on the main level/office issues you noted?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Square Rob wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:36 am Johnnie- don’t hesitate to use homeowners insurance to cover stuff like that either. At our old house, our fridge leaked backwards and runined a five foot section of wood floor on the other side of the wall. Insurance replaced ALL of our connected wood floors in the house. Happened right when we were planning to sell, so we got those upgraded as part of the deal and sold it before the floors even went in.
In the spring I'm definitely going to call State Farm (unless there's a continued leak) about the roof. Upon cutting open a hole in my ceiling where the water pooled and came through, one of the joists definitely has rot on it from water damage. And I noticed that the slabs of sheet rock, while in good shape, had their nails pull through. So I'm going to either redo the insulation and sheet rock or maybe roll that up in the questions to State Farm.

(For a second I thought you meant "warranty company" and I reflexively starting seething because they've already stolen my money.)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:42 am

You said even after doing an addition and bath reno "this house won't be ideal". What's ideal? What don't you like that you want/aren't doing? You seem like you don't want to move and are frustrated with the timeline on the reno? If you stop process it's only going to hold things up more. I assume you've already got the equity line you're doing this with and that ship has sailed? You don't seem to want to move so it brings me back round to what are the existing issues with the current house and is the addition you speak of going to solve any of the rooms being on the main level/office issues you noted?
The bilevel design isn't ideal. Bedrooms are all on the same floor as the kitchen, livingroom and family room, and my son's bedroom is directly across from the main bathroom, so entertaining when the kids are in bed isn't ideal. I'd like a separate office space. Our downstairs is basically two large rooms, one is currently the kids playroom, the other is an open area with my desk, my wife's desk and bookshelves. My wife hates the bilevel. I grew up in one, so it's not weird to me. We looked into building up, but it wasn't practical. The addition is doubling the size of our masterbath and adding a giant dressing room/closet for my wife, so it addresses her lack of closet space, our small/dated master bath, and the issue of my wife needing to get ready for work long before I need to wake up.

I'm not opposed to moving, just worried about a suitable house being available in our town when we sell. My wife preferred to move, but we didn't get the house ready in time for peak market time, and didn't see anything we'd be happy buying in town, so we went with the reno. The addition is off our master, so my wife and I would move downstairs in the playroom, but it's freezing in the winter, and I know that's going to be hell for 8-10 weeks.

With the kitchen finished, it's not a big deal to stay in this house until we move. Yes, it'll be a few extra months with the moving option, but it'll be easier time than dealing with the renovations and no master bath for 8 weeks.
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:48 am

The bilevel design isn't ideal. Bedrooms are all on the same floor as the kitchen, livingroom and family room, and my son's bedroom is directly across from the main bathroom, so entertaining when the kids are in bed isn't ideal. I'd like a separate office space. Our downstairs is basically two large rooms, one is currently the kids playroom, the other is an open area with my desk, my wife's desk and bookshelves. My wife hates the bilevel. I grew up in one, so it's not weird to me. We looked into building up, but it wasn't practical. The addition is doubling the size of our masterbath and adding a giant dressing room/closet for my wife, so it addresses her lack of closet space, our small/dated master bath, and the issue of my wife needing to get ready for work long before I need to wake up.

I'm not opposed to moving, just worried about a suitable house being available in our town when we sell. My wife preferred to move, but we didn't get the house ready in time for peak market time, and didn't see anything we'd be happy buying in town, so we went with the reno. The addition is off our master, so my wife and I would move downstairs in the playroom, but it's freezing in the winter, and I know that's going to be hell for 8-10 weeks.

With the kitchen finished, it's not a big deal to stay in this house until we move. Yes, it'll be a few extra months with the moving option, but it'll be easier time than dealing with the renovations and no master bath for 8 weeks.
No timeline is perfect. The "perfect" house could come on the market tomorrow and you might not be in a place you could buy. The "perfect" house might just be waiting in your situation to list in prime selling season. People move and change jobs and die and whatnot all the time. Obviously with the kids you've got fewer options as far as moving goes, but as long as you're in a good place with your current mortgage situation you should only be building more value as you go on. Living in an environment where you're stressed about the space all the time can be a toll, but it sounds like you guys have made some sound decisions and will be just fine as you roll along. Breathe, try not to kill contractors, and get it done the way you want it that provides the most function for you going forward and then continue to tweak it.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Move to SOMa.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:24 pm

No timeline is perfect. The "perfect" house could come on the market tomorrow and you might not be in a place you could buy. The "perfect" house might just be waiting in your situation to list in prime selling season. People move and change jobs and die and whatnot all the time. Obviously with the kids you've got fewer options as far as moving goes, but as long as you're in a good place with your current mortgage situation you should only be building more value as you go on. Living in an environment where you're stressed about the space all the time can be a toll, but it sounds like you guys have made some sound decisions and will be just fine as you roll along. Breathe, try not to kill contractors, and get it done the way you want it that provides the most function for you going forward and then continue to tweak it.
I'm not looking for the perfect house, I intentionally said "suitable." There are very few houses in the category we are looking at. Everything is either in the range we are currently living in, or new construction mansions that are $1 million over our current home's value. The market in March-May has substantially more options, and our best time of finding even one house that would meet our needs.

And just got off the phone with the project manager, somehow he didn't know we need a variance, which will set us back at least two more months. They put December completion in the contract, now he is saying best case, we don't even start the addition until March or April. I totally get that unforeseen delays occur, but they initially promised we'd be done by Thanksgiving, but he wasn't comfortable promising anything earlier than December in the contract. Now to say we won't be able to start before March is insane. How did he not know we'd need a variance? Apparently the architect knew that 2 months ago.

We intentionally went with a Build Design company, because they do all the work inhouse, not contracting work out and managing people from 10 different companies. The architect is an outside vendor, but someone they hire for every job they need an architect. We went with a larger building company to avoid this kind of shit.

I don't know. Thanks for responding, I know there is no right answer, I'm just trying to stay grounded and base decisions in logic, not emotion or appeasing my wife's emotions.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:26 pm Move to SOMa.
If I do, can we hang out?
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:20 pm
BSF21 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:24 pm

I'm not looking for the perfect house, I intentionally said "suitable." There are very few houses in the category we are looking at. Everything is either in the range we are currently living in, or new construction mansions that are $1 million over our current home's value. The market in March-May has substantially more options, and our best time of finding even one house that would meet our needs.

And just got off the phone with the project manager, somehow he didn't know we need a variance, which will set us back at least two more months. They put December completion in the contract, now he is saying best case, we don't even start the addition until March or April. I totally get that unforeseen delays occur, but they initially promised we'd be done by Thanksgiving, but he wasn't comfortable promising anything earlier than December in the contract. Now to say we won't be able to start before March is insane. How did he not know we'd need a variance? Apparently the architect knew that 2 months ago.

We intentionally went with a Build Design company, because they do all the work inhouse, not contracting work out and managing people from 10 different companies. The architect is an outside vendor, but someone they hire for every job they need an architect. We went with a larger building company to avoid this kind of shit.

I don't know. Thanks for responding, I know there is no right answer, I'm just trying to stay grounded and base decisions in logic, not emotion or appeasing my wife's emotions.
Sorry about the situation in general. Hope my tone didn't come across as dismissive. Mostly trying to convey keep your head up and I'm sure you'll really like it and grow into the change once it's done. And if all else fails in a few short years you can kick those good for nothing moochers out on the street and bingo, all the space you'll ever want.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:21 pm
Oh hell yeah. I'm a fixture at school events.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:28 pm
The Sybian wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:21 pm
Oh hell yeah. I'm a fixture at school events.
Don't fall for it, Sybian. He'll pretend he didn't see you.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:27 pm
Sorry about the situation in general. Hope my tone didn't come across as dismissive. Mostly trying to convey keep your head up and I'm sure you'll really like it and grow into the change once it's done. And if all else fails in a few short years you can kick those good for nothing moochers out on the street and bingo, all the space you'll ever want.
Quite the opposite, I didn't take your tone as dismissive at all, all valid questions we need to answer, and I am trying to not get caught up in my wife's emotional response when I tell her the new info tonight.
-Pruitt
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Looking to replace my bathroom mirror, which right now is just a piece of mirrored glass glued to the wall. Any advice on the best way to remove it safely and without f'ing up the wall behind it? I've read the suggestion to cover it in duct or packing tape to prevent it from shattering when it comes off, but wanted to get some more input...

Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Hmm. Never removed one stuck to a wall before. I can't imagine that drywall is going to be salvageable.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Yeah, that glue is STRONG, and you'll get a lot of drywall. The good news is that it's likely only one thick clump of it in the middle.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I bet if you could somehow do the same project in parallel to itself, just cutting out the wall from the start would be the quicker, less annoying way to go versus a careful removal and patching.
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

Duct tape and gloves. I wouldn't worry much about the wall. Won't you just be putting a new mirror over it anyway? Patch whatever comes off.

When I pulled one off a few years ago I used a thin prybar and some shims. Pry a little. Jam in a shim. Do that all the way around. Mine popped off with just a little of the paper drywall backing.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

testuser2 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:52 am Duct tape and gloves. I wouldn't worry much about the wall. Won't you just be putting a new mirror over it anyway? Patch whatever comes off.

When I pulled one off a few years ago I used a thin prybar and some shims. Pry a little. Jam in a shim. Do that all the way around. Mine popped off with just a little of the paper drywall backing.
I assumed the new mirror might be one that isn't stuck to the wall. Otherwise why change if it isn't cracked?
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

testuser2 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:52 am Duct tape and gloves. I wouldn't worry much about the wall. Won't you just be putting a new mirror over it anyway? Patch whatever comes off.

If you're going this route, you might want to take a utility knife and do a thin cut around the perimeter of the mirror. That should prevent the paper backing from tearing too much as you're prying off the mirror.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

A_B wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:07 am I assumed the new mirror might be one that isn't stuck to the wall. Otherwise why change if it isn't cracked?
Yeah, the idea is to replace it with a "proper" mirror that is about the same size.

Thanks for the input everyone, will think this through some more. Also found this example of someone removing a much larger mirror of my own that took some work, but was manageable.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Sabo wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:25 am

If you're going this route, you might want to take a utility knife and do a thin cut around the perimeter of the mirror. That should prevent the paper backing from tearing too much as you're prying off the mirror.
The one I took down wasn't like this at all. Think "1" on a diet (singular of dice version of that word).
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

This isn't a repair, I guess, but we had enough dirt and, along with mildew growing on parts of the house, that it really needed to be spruced up. Had a pressure washing company out for a "house wash" and they also did the patio and sidewalks, and...wow. Really does look like new. Had never had anything like that done before. Worth it.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:56 pm This isn't a repair, I guess, but we had enough dirt and, along with mildew growing on parts of the house, that it really needed to be spruced up. Had a pressure washing company out for a "house wash" and they also did the patio and sidewalks, and...wow. Really does look like new. Had never had anything like that done before. Worth it.
Dude, don't ever pay someone to powerwash, it is so much fun! I bought a power washer a couple years ago, and offered to do neighbors' houses for free. They all thought I was joking, but I totally would have done it. When you get the right angle and peel dirt of like a bandaid... it's the most satisfying feeling ever.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I also love to power wash. It is literally instant results. Satisfying.

(One of my best friends owns one is I don’t even have to buy my own)
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I used to rent a power washer when I’d get back home from college on summer break and then power wash the driveways and patios for maybe a dozen of my parents’ friends in their golf group. South Florida weather will grow mildew on anything. Great way to start the summer a couple grand in the black.
Noli Timere Messorem
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I can see where power washing would be fun. This guy brought his own water, and was able to get all three stories on the house, so I was glad to cede it to him for the work. But may rent one next time for patio and sidewalks etc.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, it was a good pull if you got to power wash the magazine rack things at the supermarket I worked at. It was a bad deal if you didn't know your friend was doing it out back and he shoots your leg.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:14 am I can see where power washing would be fun. This guy brought his own water, and was able to get all three stories on the house, so I was glad to cede it to him for the work. But may rent one next time for patio and sidewalks etc.
Three stories changes the equation. Two stories with a deck covering most of the back of the house is much easier.
-Pruitt
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Are there any fans of Philips Hue or other smart lighting systems here? How does that shit work? I don’t even know where to begin.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I’ve decided my get off my lawn old man line is the smart home stuff. The hands-free Amazon speakers is as far as I’ll go. When we bought all new kitchen appliances I refused to even look at the “smart” ones.

So my kid has had a smart light bulb sitting in its packaging in her room since last Christmas.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Here’s my most specific question. I get how it works with lamps. I have a new place where none of the overhead or pendant or chandelier lights are dimmable. Is Hue a viable way to make those lights dimmable without having to change all of the switches?
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Rex wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:08 pm Is Hue ... viable
This Browns fan says no.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.