Home Repairs

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Re: Home Repairs

Post by Brontoburglar »

weeeeeeeee. the cast iron pipe connection that runs from the connecting sink drain pipes to the main drain line in my kitchen is FUBAR. looks like the part that is vertical between the sink and where it turns in the ceiling of my basement to run out to the sewer line needs to be replaced. thankfully I have a plumber hookup and he said it'll probably be between $600-800. not so thankfully I have had to rip out about 10 ceiling tiles so far and maybe more for them to get to the pipe
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:15 pm weeeeeeeee. the cast iron pipe connection that runs from the connecting sink drain pipes to the main drain line in my kitchen is FUBAR. looks like the part that is vertical between the sink and where it turns in the ceiling of my basement to run out to the sewer line needs to be replaced. thankfully I have a plumber hookup and he said it'll probably be between $600-800. not so thankfully I have had to rip out about 10 ceiling tiles so far and maybe more for them to get to the pipe
We had a similar situation in my previous house. The cast iron pipe rusted out at the elbow below the concrete floor in the basement, and it was getting clogged. Had to bust up the concrete and replace the elbow with PVC. I don't remember what it cost but it wasn't cheap.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:15 pm weeeeeeeee. ... I have a plumber hookup and he said it'll probably be between $600-800... to get ... the pipe
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

good news: total cost was less than $800 to replace the parts and clean out the drain to the front yard and *knock on wood* it's clear

bad news: it's rained a bunch here over the past three weeks and I have water in my basement again

I've never been closer to wanting to move out
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Looking for some advice on front door/deadbolt locks. The problem:

My wife has given out over a half dozen keys to various friends/dog sitters to the point of being unable to keep track who has them so I would like to install a new lock on our front door.

The parameters:
Need to be able to give people like the cleaning lady or dog sitters access to the house without having to hand out traditional keys
If I install a smart/bluetooth lock those people need to be able to access without downloading an app
I have a separate door handle and deadbolt; the door handle does not have a lock so I just need to replace the deadbolt

Anybody have any experience with any of the smart locks or keypad locks that they like?
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Just dropped $1500 we don't have on a new shower door that randomly shattered and on repairs to a broken A/C we came home to after our trip to Illinois. Awesome.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

So Giff just got home from Illinois

And GoodKarma is trying to figure out how to lock the front door.

Oh boy.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

GoodKarma wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:47 am Anybody have any experience with any of the smart locks or keypad locks that they like?
I have this set waiting at home to be installed with an entirely new front door set. It's done a great job of keeping the dog off of one of our "good" chairs when we're not home.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

rass wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:10 am
GoodKarma wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:47 am Anybody have any experience with any of the smart locks or keypad locks that they like?
I have this set waiting at home to be installed with an entirely new front door set. It's done a great job of keeping the dog off of one of our "good" chairs when we're not home.
I installed the same one on my door a few months ago. I like it. Mine is not hooked up to the Smarts yet because I did not buy the home hub (SmartThings, Apple Home Kit, Wink) or willing to pay and additional monthly nut to the Alarm company (can work with Alarm.com)...but really like it.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:32 am
I installed the same one on my door a few months ago. I like it. Mine is not hooked up to the Smarts yet because I did not buy the home hub (SmartThings, Apple Home Kit, Wink) or willing to pay and additional monthly nut to the Alarm company (can work with Alarm.com)...but really like it.
Yeah, I wasn't planning on putting that thing online either. Just wanted a good keypad.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

rass wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:40 am
wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:32 am
Yeah, I wasn't planning on putting that thing online either. Just wanted a good keypad.
Fantastic so far for my kids.
I would not turn on the autolock feature. You will be amazed how often you don't close the door fast enough and the dead bolt goes.
Super easy to install..I am not real handy and my 12 year old and I did the whole thing.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Thanks...I was just looking at the Schlage smart locks. The wife says she doesn't want a connected one so just being able to use the keypad will be nice until I can convince her otherwise.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

GoodKarma wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:49 pm Thanks...I was just looking at the Schlage smart locks. The wife says she doesn't want a connected one so just being able to use the keypad will be nice until I can convince her otherwise.
I did a ton of research on them. Schlage was the winner because it looked like what we had on our door already. However, everything I have read points to August as the top in class. The only problem is they only come in colors that don't work. Kwikset and Yale/Next also are pretty good and have the integrate with other stuff later. Also go with something that has a key option. There are fun stories of people whose battery dies.

https://www.pcmag.com/article/344336/th ... mart-locks
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

GoodKarma wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:49 pm Thanks...I was just looking at the Schlage smart locks. The wife says she doesn't want a connected one so just being able to use the keypad will be nice until I can convince her otherwise.
I've had a Schlage with keypad for 4 years, came with the house. I really like it, especially being able to easily add/remove codes when you have people checking on the house while on vacation, etc.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I’m now on my third Schlage lock, as the keypad keeps shitting the bed.

I really want it to work too, because having to carry keys in your pocket sucks.
Noli Timere Messorem
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:39 pm good news: total cost was less than $800 to replace the parts and clean out the drain to the front yard and *knock on wood* it's clear

bad news: it's rained a bunch here over the past three weeks and I have water in my basement again

I've never been closer to wanting to move out
so the plumbers are ... at the moment ... gonna trench where we've taken out the drywall and put a sump pump in behind the door there in the garage

the groundwater behind that wall is pretty impressive. it sneaks in right where that drain is sitting on the floor and then it also comes through the masonry in the fireplace off to the left. The spot by the door on the right is where it comes in the most. the fireplace was damp, but not much more than that. (the garage is where those steps behind the door lead to)

after digging this up I'm not sure trenching is the best option and wonder if I'd be better off sealing the f out of that wall and the fireplace with that waterlock paint in the picture and then doing the sump pump thing in a different spot. or I still have them trench, dig out a huge sump pump in that elevated doorway spot as what we initially decided and then still do the waterlock paint.

I'm saving myself serious cash by only having the plumbers trench and install -- everything else will be done by me and the guy that helps my family with home repair projects -- but am having second thoughts as to what the best idea actually is
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

We put in french drains around all the interior walls before we finished the basement. Like this. It works really well. You could save a few bucks if you do the manual labor yourself. Having a plumber dig a hole isn't cheap around here.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

that's what we're doing. well, they are doing. I decided I was gonna leave the pump installation and trenching to the pros. I figure by doing all the before and after work I'm saving $1-2K

oh I've also decided to order new windows downstairs too because why the hell not I need them and let's do it all at once
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Last year I got stung by some really tiny bees (?) about 30 times over the course of 2 mowing sessions. They came out of holes in our lawn. This year I've seen them again hovering around a mound of rocks and flowers along our driveway but I can't see if there's a hole underneath. Anyone know what they could be? I read that ground bees tend to be pretty docile unless you really fuck with them. I suppose a lawn mower over their heads would qualify?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Sound like sweat bees, which I really really hate. I've only had one bad run in with them before. For whatever reason don't recall them being a recurring issue, though. Maybe do some creative landscaping in that area for a bit? Or hit it with a bunch of water? If you're like me you probably don't want to kill them, just persuade them to move on.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I want to strongly murder them
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Sounds like we're going to get the gopher subplot from Caddyshack played out but with sweatbees.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Ryan wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:17 pm I want to strongly murder them
I murdered the shit out of some wasps on Sunday and it felt great. Watching their lifeless carcasses fall from the nest was amazing until I saw the biggest nest of all right behind me and I went screaming into the house.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

We have some mesh netting that we have to put over our flowers in the front yard because our 'hood is overrun with those fucking vermin*. Well, I went into our shed to retrieve some last weekend and encountered a "dead animal smell." It's dark in our shed/carport so by the time I got in decent lighting:

"yep, that's definitely a snake-like shape stuck in this netting... OH FUCK, WHAT'S THIS THING WRITHING AROUND MY HAND!"

A second, very alive garter snake was caught up in the netting. After initial holy fuck moment, I felt awful for the poor little thing. It was kind of segmented up within the netting... Reminded me of the penguin in Happy Feet.

Anyways, called my neighbor over and we determined we needed to put it out of its misery. Shitty thing was that the "blade" on my shovel was too dull and I couldn't cut it's head off, so I had to go with bashing its little skull in.

/monster
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

* - I like deer just fine and still perk up on road trips when I spot them. But, man, when they have no other natural predator other than the front end of an SUV, they become a fucking nuisance real quick. And other then fencing/netting everything off (not always practical or feasible) the other solution is that godawful wolf piss* substance that's decidedly not worth it if you want to sit out back after having sprayed that nasty shit.

* - I have no idea what the stuff is made of, it just smells like what I assume a wolf with rabies would carry in their bladder.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A_B wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:56 pm Sound like sweat bees, which I really really hate. I've only had one bad run in with them before. For whatever reason don't recall them being a recurring issue, though. Maybe do some creative landscaping in that area for a bit? Or hit it with a bunch of water? If you're like me you probably don't want to kill them, just persuade them to move on.
The sweat bee is one of the more reasonable of the Arthropoda kingdom. PowerPoint should do the trick. Just remember to keep the bullets to no more than 3 per page, and close with a graphic showing the happier everybody is the more distance that exists between you.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:33 pm
A_B wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:56 pm Sound like sweat bees, which I really really hate. I've only had one bad run in with them before. For whatever reason don't recall them being a recurring issue, though. Maybe do some creative landscaping in that area for a bit? Or hit it with a bunch of water? If you're like me you probably don't want to kill them, just persuade them to move on.
The sweat bee is one of the more reasonable of the Arthropoda kingdom. PowerPoint should do the trick. Just remember to keep the bullets to no more than 3 per page, and close with a graphic showing the happier everybody is the more distance that exists between you.
This is awesome.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A_B wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:47 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:33 pm
This is awesome.
You need a quick infographic like your avatar depicting a breakdown of the two parties' strengths and weaknesses. Remember, the MOU no longer applies. Just stick to off-boarding and you'll be fine.
Noli Timere Messorem
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:32 pm * - I like deer just fine and still perk up on road trips when I spot them. But, man, when they have no other natural predator other than the front end of an SUV, they become a fucking nuisance real quick.
Just let me drive back and forth pulling a trailer. I'll get 'em.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:32 pm * - I like deer just fine and still perk up on road trips when I spot them. But, man, when they have no other natural predator other than the front end of an SUV, they become a fucking nuisance real quick.
We have deer in our suburban neighborhood, and see them semi-regularly on morning or evening dog walks. I enjoy seeing them. But, the downside is that they attract coyotes. And, that makes me fear for my dog, especially when we walk just after dusk. Had a coyote lope right past me once - the dog wasn't along that time.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Giff wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:59 pm
Ryan wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:17 pm I want to strongly murder them
I murdered the shit out of some wasps on Sunday and it felt great. Watching their lifeless carcasses fall from the nest was amazing until I saw the biggest nest of all right behind me and I went screaming into the house.
The real wasps were the ones we met along the way
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:09 pm
tennbengal wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:56 pm This isn't a repair, I guess, but we had enough dirt and, along with mildew growing on parts of the house, that it really needed to be spruced up. Had a pressure washing company out for a "house wash" and they also did the patio and sidewalks, and...wow. Really does look like new. Had never had anything like that done before. Worth it.
Dude, don't ever pay someone to powerwash, it is so much fun! I bought a power washer a couple years ago, and offered to do neighbors' houses for free. They all thought I was joking, but I totally would have done it. When you get the right angle and peel dirt of like a bandaid... it's the most satisfying feeling ever.
I just spent an hour power washing and boy is my hand tired.

Though it was sort of cathartic watching the dirt fly away.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:40 pm I just spent an hour power washing and boy is my hand tired.

Though it was sort of cathartic watching the fly away.
So, "power washing" is the new "emailing your brother"?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I can’t tell, was that a joke Patrick? I worked my ass off in my front yard and my stoop, fully and skillfully getting rid of molds, dirt and scum.

:)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Shooting someone in the leg with a power washer is right on the cusp of funny/asshole.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I was wearing slides at the time and was worried I was going to go awry and knock a toe nail off.

Anyway, my hand got better but because I'm fucking old my neck hurts from looking down for a little less than an hour.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

When I eventually start to upgrade my living room I'm going to put a live edge wood mantle with stackstone to modernize it. (It's just plain white right now.)

Above the mantle I thought about mounting a huge TV, but even an 80" would be small. (I have a 10' ceiling and the fireplace is like 8' wide.) I'm probably going with this because of this YouTube vid:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Our dryer stopped working last week. It came with the house, so it must have been at least 15, probably closer to 20 years old.

We bought a new washer 12 years ago or so. It was a relatively early generation front loader, and my wife hates it. So we decided to replace both at once. Found a set at the Depot, arranged delivery for yesterday. Just had to make it a week or so without a dryer. Easy.

I worked from home yesterday, the truck shows up on time, the walk through seems good, then he looks at the connectors. The water lines are too corroded, he won’t touch them. Could possibly void the warranty if I do it myself.

The gas line for the dryer does not have a dedicated shut off valve, and he refuses to work on that, too. I don’t let them drop off the appliances, and tell them I’ll be in touch when the work is done.

Today I got in touch with our GC from last year’s kitchen remodel, and he’s twiddling his thumbs waiting at a job nearby and offers to come over and take a look. Two hours later the work is all done. Delivery is rescheduled for next Wednesday, the earliest we can get.

HOWEVER, when I get home the phone line and WiFi (Verizon fios) is no longer working. A storm rolled through this afternoon, and they had unplugged the box, in the basement, while working on the washer and dryer lines. Multiple reboots and troubleshooting leads to no solutions. Now I need to be home tomorrow afternoon for a Verizon tech.

I don’t have a contract right now, and if they try to charge me I’ll threaten to drop the service and see where that gets me. Xfinity phone/internet is available in my neighborhood.

Fun.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Turns out lawnmowers need oil.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Bullshit