2019 NFL Offseason Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: 2019 NFL Offseason Thread

Post by Johnnie »

Looks like Trey Flowers will be playing elsewhere.

Also...

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Just matter of how little he is willing to play for. Way more value to pats than anyone else but you know belichick will offer minimum. He's done but nice insurance for a couple games.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Let's try this again...

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

AB in Vegas is gonna be fucking awesome.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

For a 3rd & 5th!?!? Steal.

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Kinda weird that the Raiders traded away Khalil Mack in his prime because they didn’t want to pay him. But they’ll pay big and guarantee it for AB, who is 31.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Why would you have a cap hit after trading a player?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Because the salary cap structure in the NFL is made to fuck the players and their freedom of movement as much as possible.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

sancarlos wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:56 am Kinda weird that the Raiders traded away Khalil Mack in his prime because they didn’t want to pay him. But they’ll pay big and guarantee it for AB, who is 31.
The Mack trade was bad and he was awesome for the Bears this past season. But if you view the Cooper and Brown trades in conjunction, I think the Raiders did very well. They basically traded Cooper, a #3 and a #5 for Brown and a #1.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yes, they got Brown for not much. The fans are focusing on the 3rd and 5th they gave up. But, most writers I've read go another route with their stories -A) will he integrate in seamlessly and without drama on the Raiders? (Particularly if they are not winning. Even a mellow guy like Derek Carr has clashed with Gruden), and B) that is a lot of guaranteed money for an aging asset and a big cap hit if the acquisition isn't successful.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Joe K wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:34 am
sancarlos wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:56 am Kinda weird that the Raiders traded away Khalil Mack in his prime because they didn’t want to pay him. But they’ll pay big and guarantee it for AB, who is 31.
The Mack trade was bad and he was awesome for the Bears this past season. But if you view the Cooper and Brown trades in conjunction, I think the Raiders did very well. They basically traded Cooper, a #3 and a #5 for Brown and a #1.
Even with the age difference, that seems like a steal.

Now comes the hard part for the Raiders - all that money ties up in Carr and Brown.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

sancarlos wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:10 pm Yes, they got Brown for not much. The fans are focusing on the 3rd and 5th they gave up. But, most writers I've read go another route with their stories -A) will he integrate in seamlessly and without drama on the Raiders? (Particularly if they are not winning. Even a mellow guy like Derek Carr has clashed with Gruden), and B) that is a lot of guaranteed money for an aging asset and a big cap hit if the acquisition isn't successful.
Carr has been very bad ever since his injury. If that continues they’re probably screwed no matter what. But if there’s any WR who can help a QB look good, it’s Brown. And I suspect that a certain aging QB with a history of bad behavior bears a significant share of the blame for the recent drama in Pittsburgh.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

It feels like almost all of the blame should go his way.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Ben is.....let’s just let the word “problematic” do a whole lot of work here....problematic off the field. And based on last season, unless he quickly learns what he can’t do anymore he’s going to be problematic on the field, too. But are we definitively laying the bulk of this on him based on anything other than AB’s side of the story and an understandable willingness to believe the worst about Ben?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Hard to ignore two best offensive players on that team have basically quit in the last two years - hard not to let eyes drift back to the qb. Especially one who aired out brown on his radio show in December. The locker room culture seems...problematic.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Strong word choice!

I haven’t heard anyone put the Bell holdouts on Ben. That one definitely seems a little unfair.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The conclusion of this Ringer article dances to the same point :

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/3/10 ... eveon-bell
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

tennbengal wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:19 pm The conclusion of this Ringer article dances to the same point :

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/3/10 ... eveon-bell
There are two possibilities to explain how the Steelers got here. The first is that the team was somehow saddled with two elite-level talents who both happened to be uncommonly selfish, foolish, and petty. Frankly, this isn’t out of the question. Bell did try to make it seem like getting $0 instead of $14.5 million was a prudent financial decision, and Brown has spent parts of this offseason dubbing himself “Mr. Big Chest,” dying his mustache blond, getting voted the worst singer on The Masked Singer, and recording the worst Cameo videos known to man.
Here is the kicker from an article by that the same Ringer writer last fall:
Bell’s holdout might be massively unpopular. James Conner will get his day in the sun; the Steelers’ offensive line will be lionized; anti-Bell memes will be made. That doesn’t mean Bell is making the wrong move
No mention of friction with #7 in that article. I can certainly be forgetting something, but I don't remember Bell explicitly mentioning Ben at all over the past two seasons.

Back to the article you posted:
But I suspect there’s something bigger at play. Something we can’t see seems broken in Pittsburgh. It’s so broken that two remarkable players decided they simply had to get out, no matter the cost to their wallets, legacies, or professional reputations. What seems more probable: that lightning would strike twice, blessing or cursing the Steelers with two spectacular talents who both demanded to leave town in roughly the same manner? Or that there’s some fundamental problem that sparked both players’ unusual but similar departures?

I think we know the answer.
So Sherman thought Bell was making a sound decision last fall, but now suggests it was a desperate, by any means necessary gambit to be free of Roethlisberger.
Brown has made clear that he did not like Big Ben’s untouchable position within the franchise hierarchy, and Bell likely feels the same.
"Likely", huh?

The relationship between the QB and the departing player, especially in the case of Brown, is ripe for examination and speculation, but I don't see how the suggestion that Ben bears the bulk of the responsibility for Brown (and Bell) leaving town is anything other than just speculation at this time. And biased speculation at that, since no one outside that locker room wants to like Ben and blaming him fits a very pleasing narrative.

And I'd like to circle back to the opener of the Sherman article you posted:
Now that Antonio Brown has been traded to the Raiders and Le’Veon Bell is hitting the free-agent market, an era in Pittsburgh football has officially ended. How will this stretch of Steelers history be remembered?
The only playoff game in which all three players of interest were completely healthy saw them lose a shootout to Blake fucking Bortles.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm trying to find a source, but some comment I read said the Pats made a good offer for AB. (2nd & 4th)

Howevahhh...

Let's see if this plays out for NE.

Edit:

Also, Trent Brown to Oakland. 4/66.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Oakland is spending money like a drunken sailor on leave.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Landon Collins to the Redskins

Trey Flowers to the Lions
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

Amendola to Detroit 1/4.5

Brian, how many personnel with Rams ties have to join this team before you completely disavow them as a fan...?
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Rams Fanny wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:11 pm Amendola to Detroit 1/4.5

Brian, how many personnel with Rams ties have to join this team before you completely disavow them as a fan...?
There's stocking up on so many Patriot has-beens that they'll be irrelevant for at least a half-decade to come, so not sure it matters.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Someone check up on tennbengal. He might not be well right now.

THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

brian wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:21 pm

There's stocking up on so many Patriot has-beens that they'll be irrelevant for at least a half-decade to come, so not sure it matters.
I was mocking the Pats connection. Too subtle?
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Rams Fanny wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:36 pm
brian wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:21 pm

I was mocking the Pats connection. Too subtle?
No, just really not paying much attention today. The next GM will have to clean house of all the former Pats when Quinn and Patricia are fired in a year or two but by then Stafford's prime years will be over, so it'll be another 10-year rebuilding job by the time I'm even thinking about paying any real attention to them again. So good times.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Foles to the Jaguars. 4/88.

Lol.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:02 pm Foles to the Jaguars. 4/88.

Lol.
How will this impact "the Good Place" next season?

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

rass wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:27 pm Ben is.....let’s just let the word “problematic” do a whole lot of work here....problematic off the field. And based on last season, unless he quickly learns what he can’t do anymore he’s going to be problematic on the field, too. But are we definitively laying the bulk of this on him based on anything other than AB’s side of the story and an understandable willingness to believe the worst about Ben?

You don't have to believe the worst about Ben to think he's a huge part of the problem there.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Sabo wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:30 pm Someone check up on tennbengal. He might not be well right now.

Not doing great.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Gunpowder wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:17 pm
rass wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:27 pm Ben is.....let’s just let the word “problematic” do a whole lot of work here....problematic off the field. And based on last season, unless he quickly learns what he can’t do anymore he’s going to be problematic on the field, too. But are we definitively laying the bulk of this on him based on anything other than AB’s side of the story and an understandable willingness to believe the worst about Ben?

You don't have to believe the worst about Ben to think he's a huge part of the problem there.
Fuck. Not retyping what I just lost due to shitty WiFi. I’ll just say I think you do, because why else would someone be willing to buy AB’s side of the story in full?
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Losing Flowers hurts. Solder and then Brown getting record breaking contracts should put Dante Scarnechia in the hall if fame.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

rass wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:52 pm
Gunpowder wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:17 pmYou don't have to believe the worst about Ben to think he's a huge part of the problem there.
Fuck. Not retyping what I just lost due to shitty WiFi. I’ll just say I think you do, because why else would someone be willing to buy AB’s side of the story in full?
I think SL is referring to rape. You don’t have to believe Ben is a rapist to think he’s an unbearable selfish asshole of a teammate.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:46 pm
Johnnie wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:02 pm Foles to the Jaguars. 4/88.

Lol.
How will this impact "the Good Place" next season?

Exactly what I thought. The Jets sign Anthony Barr and Jamison Crowder in the same day, and not a single mention here?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Dolphins OT JaWuan James and Texans DB Kareem Jackson to the Broncos.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Bills fans excited by signing of Centre Mitch Morse.

They also signed Frank Gore meaning that they have two all pro running backs (from 2013).

Can Tyler Kroft block?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:12 am Bills fans excited by signing of Centre Mitch Morse.

They also signed Frank Gore meaning that they have two all pro running backs (from 2013).

Can Tyler Kroft block?
Yes. Kinda. He's alright. Decent pass catcher, decent blocker. He's adequate.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:22 am
Pruitt wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:12 am Bills fans excited by signing of Centre Mitch Morse.

Can Tyler Kroft block?
Yes. Kinda. He's alright. Decent pass catcher, decent blocker. He's adequate.
So then, the best Tight End the Bills have had since Keith McKellar (who was no superstar).

And I missed Syb's comment and the fact that the Jets signed Anthony Barr. As a Bills fan, I don't like the Jets' signings at all.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

rass wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:52 pm
Gunpowder wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:17 pm

Because it's pretty evident from everything he does.

There are numerous reports from a decade ago of Roethlisberger being a massive dickhead that few people could tolerate, and I doubt that's all gone away as he's gotten older. He's the only QB I've ever heard who continually absolves himself of blame publically. No one other than his offensive linemen really seem to like him and it seems to be a point of his to keep it that way. He's been screaming down WRs recently just like other douche QBs like Phil Rivers and Matthew Stafford. He seemingly makes no real effort to improve aspects of his game and says things like "that's just how I am I'm a cowboy" or some dumb shit. You would have had to pull most QBs off of the field in Oakland and chain them to the bench, but not Ben. He's always got some overdramatized injury he's overcoming. He's probably the most selfish QB in the entire NFL and if you put his skills into another QBs body, that QB would probably be an absolute legend.

And yet people still trip over themselves to defend this guy, because Neil ODonnell and Kordell Stewart sucked.

That doesn't mean Antonio Brown is right, Antonio Brown is an absolute egomaniac as well and handled this situation with all the grace of a Bill O'Reilly chatting up a secretary. But it's transparent with him.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse