2019 NFL Offseason Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Gunpowder
The Dude

Re: 2019 NFL Offseason Thread

Post by Gunpowder »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:32 am
Gunpowder wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:43 am It probably is but is it that much of an impact? I'm trying to think of a player who has had issues getting in for that reason.
Terrell Davis.
Terrell Davis played 4 real seasons. That's an extreme case.

And he got in anyway.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:58 pm Except the Rams wouldn't have been there had it been a rule in the first place, tho. Competition Committee be like "We need to trigger Pats fans like we're Brian from the Swamp."
They don't have to have a sit down meeting to trigger you guys. They really just need to say anything about NE and you'll come flying in off the top ropes.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

He wouldn't ask for a jury trial unless he was innocent.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:37 am He wouldn't ask for a jury trial unless he was innocent.
I thought there was a video of him getting his boner stroked? Seems like pretty hard evidence. (Unless the judge won’t let that video come into his court.)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:59 pm
mister d wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:37 am He wouldn't ask for a jury trial unless he was innocent.
I thought there was a video of him getting his boner stroked? Seems like pretty hard evidence. (Unless the judge won’t let that video come into his court.)
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:36 pmI'll use his first 100-yard rushing game in about a year to mention that I believe the Bears will trade Jordan Howard for a mid- to late-round draft pick...
Howard to Philly for a 2020 6th-rounder that can become a 5th-rounder.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:47 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:36 pmI'll use his first 100-yard rushing game in about a year to mention that I believe the Bears will trade Jordan Howard for a mid- to late-round draft pick...
Howard to Philly for a 2020 6th-rounder that can become a 5th-rounder.
Seems like a no brainer for the Eagles.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Really hard to argue with these FACTS.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Was hoping this would be about Brady's hilarious tweet.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:55 pm Was hoping this would be about Brady's hilarious tweet.
It's awesome that he has all the charisma and humor of a robot.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Emmanuel Ogbah for Eric Murray is a very good deal for the Chiefs
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Great story about the dysfunction in Green Bay. I'm hoping with Rodgers on the down side of his career (aging-wise) they'll start to slide into a decades-long abyss.

(And even as a Patriots hater, it makes you appreciate the relationship between Belichick and Brady. Of course, Belichick is much smarter than McCarthy and Brady much stupider than Rodgers, but maybe that's why the pairing works so well.)
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Hey brian:

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Steelers fans on Twitter are holding this up to defend Roethlisberger. I don't really see how it does so, as believing that this stuff is true (and it probably is) kind of suggests that it IS feasible that Roethlisberger fumbled on purpose and isn't the greatest "leader" around.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

on the steeler boards, who was the consensus choice of "if I had the choice of keeping one of Ben, Bell or Brown?"
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Brontoburglar wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:29 pm on the steeler boards, who was the consensus choice of "if I had the choice of keeping one of Ben, Bell or Brown?"
Easy. There are some Roethlisberger detractors by for the most part he's defended against everything. The interceptions? Probably bad routes or something by the All-Pro WRs.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Gunpowder wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:45 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:29 pm on the steeler boards, who was the consensus choice of "if I had the choice of keeping one of Ben, Bell or Brown?"
Easy. There are some Roethlisberger detractors by for the most part he's defended against everything. The interceptions? Probably bad routes or something by the All-Pro WRs.
I kinda figured that, but wondered if there would be some who would be taking 3-4 years more of elite to very good production from a WR over a year-to-year just "good" at this point QB
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Brontoburglar wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:47 pm
I kinda figured that, but wondered if there would be some who would be taking 3-4 years more of elite to very good production from a WR over a year-to-year just "good" at this point QB
I don't even know if it's even all that "good" anymore, but they think he's still elite. It's maddening sometimes.

And no, no WRs over QBs in Pittsburgh. Unless it's like Jordy Nelson over Kordell or something. Though I don't know if anything is guaranteed for Brown, who will be 31 next year and really, I mean he just went off the deep end. Tough to defend him all that much.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Gunpowder wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:51 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:47 pm
I don't even know if it's even all that "good" anymore, but they think he's still elite. It's maddening sometimes.

And no, no WRs over QBs in Pittsburgh. Unless it's like Jordy Nelson over Kordell or something. Though I don't know if anything is guaranteed for Brown, who will be 31 next year and really, I mean he just went off the deep end. Tough to defend him all that much.
yeah, I was hoping for the best when it comes to the underlying reasoning for the bolded part...

I don't think you can defend Brown either. But I would think he's the safer bet compared to Ben at this point. Hell, maybe Bell is actually the safest bet (though this could be like choosing among three cars with really bad safety ratings) but the fungibility of running backs diminishes that argument.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I wouldn't pay LeVeon Bell. I also wouldn't tag him twice because that's bush league but I wouldn't pay him over the other guys. His last season was a clear step down from previous years.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

yeah, the contract is not going to turn out well for the Jets. easy to see them getting out before 2021 with $4M in dead money
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sounds like he was smart to take the bigger guarantee.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

absolutely
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

mister d wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:55 am Sounds like he was smart to take the bigger guarantee.
Potentially. I think it's also a peace of mind thing. To me he had two decent options and two decent options only: Play out the tag and then hit FA, or sit out the season and then hit FA. You'd have to be fiscally insane to have taken the Steelers offer.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I forget the phrase, but a friend was arguing the opposite based off some reporter on twitter calling the Steelers offer "a virtual guarantee" or something saying that even though they had free outs every year and explicitly wouldn't guarantee beyond the first, they totally wouldn't have cut him after year 1 so really year 2 is an unguaranteed guarantee too.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

mister d wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:17 am I forget the phrase, but a friend was arguing the opposite based off some reporter on twitter calling the Steelers offer "a virtual guarantee" or something saying that even though they had free outs every year and explicitly wouldn't guarantee beyond the first, they totally wouldn't have cut him after year 1 so really year 2 is an unguaranteed guarantee too.
Yeah that's the argument that people are using. If it's "virtually guaranteed" and that's the same as a guarantee then just guarantee it. Spoiler: yeah it's not
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Looks like bitter Steelers fans finally goaded bitter AB into taking a public shot at JuJu. That’s nice.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I absolutely love AB and I’m beyond tired of this crap by now.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Rashard Mendenhall with fire and what not.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"It auto-corrected" would be the funniest post in twitter history.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

So he got Mad On Twitter(TM), accused Roethelisberger of being racist and called every ex-teammate who hasn't publicly outed Roethelisberger as a racist a liar, then back-pedaled. COMING IN HOT

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

MAGA-Loving, Colin Kaepernick-Hating Top NFL Draft Prospect Seems to Hate Everything Black

The article quotes a Kevin Van Valkenburg article from ESPN:
As the combine drew near, though, his online behavior grew increasingly bland. I asked why he seemed to abandon something he had previously embraced.

“I had to,” he says. “There is a chance I might end up in San Francisco.”
What a lame ass.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

He does have a good point about Draymond Green, though.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Bob McNair got a woody from the grave.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:48 am yeah, the contract is not going to turn out well for the Jets. easy to see them getting out before 2021 with $4M in dead money
Fuck all of you, greatest FA move in history, will lead to several Super Bowl championships! I didn't think the Jets would actually go after Bell, and didn't think Bell would play for the Jets. I didn't think it would be a good move, but now that they signed him, I'm just focusing on the potential upside. It's a big gamble, but at least the Jets are showing a willingness to take a risk. Last year, with Woody Johnson leaving for his ambassadorship, he left Chris Johnson with the orders to keep salary costs down. This year, Chris said he is going for a quick rebuild. It rarely works, but fuck it, I'm sick of rooting for a ragtag bunch of mediocre players. I lie the idea, because they need to make a splash now, while Darnold is locked into his rookie contract. Assuming he comes anywhere close to where the Jets hope he gets, he is going to eat a lot of cap space in 3 years. I also think it will be huge for his development to have a great receiving RB to throw to. Build his confidence and get the offense moving.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:53 pm MAGA-Loving, Colin Kaepernick-Hating Top NFL Draft Prospect Seems to Hate Everything Black

As the combine drew near, though, his online behavior grew increasingly bland. I asked why he seemed to abandon something he had previously embraced.

What a lame ass.

if this site still did autocorrect Nick Bosa-Colin Krackkkernick would be a must
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:53 pm MAGA-Loving, Colin Kaepernick-Hating Top NFL Draft Prospect Seems to Hate Everything Black

What a lame ass.
Shit, my son is desperately excited for the Jets to draft Bosa.I don't feel like having this conversation. Just this morning, my 10 year old daughter heard my wife bitching about how much we owed in taxes, and she said, "and the taxes just go to buying houses for illegal Mexicans." Jesus fuck, where did she learn that one? Usually my kids come home from school with wild stories about how evil and horrible Trump is, and I have to give them a reality check and temper down their anti-Trump fears.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:04 pm

What a lame ass.
Shit, my son is desperately excited for the Jets to draft Bosa.I don't feel like having this conversation. Just this morning, my 10 year old daughter heard my wife bitching about how much we owed in taxes, and she said, "and the taxes just go to buying houses for illegal Mexicans." Jesus fuck, where did she learn that one? Usually my kids come home from school with wild stories about how evil and horrible Trump is, and I have to give them a reality check and temper down their anti-Trump fears.
Sounds like you might need to lock access to Fox News on your TVs.