Re: 2019 NFL Offseason Thread

Post by Baloney »

Bears v Raiders will be 1st NFL game at Tottenham's new stadium

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/nfl/a ... adium.html
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

This is a question for SCK and any other Broncos fans on the Swamp. I'm giving some serious thought to going to the Browns at Broncos game in early November. How receptive are Broncos fans to opposing team's fans, as long as the latter fans aren't dicks?

And DTW, if I go, I'll be going with former Baseview staffer Mike M. He works at the University of Colorado these days.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Sabo wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:13 pm This is a question for SCK and any other Broncos fans on the Swamp. I'm giving some serious thought to going to the Browns at Broncos game in early November. How receptive are Broncos fans to opposing team's fans, as long as the latter fans aren't dicks?

And DTW, if I go, I'll be going with former Baseview staffer Mike M. He works at the University of Colorado these days.
Yeah, we're friends on Facebook. Saw he's been at Colorado for a couple or three years now. Been meaning to get back up to Denver for a concert or something to try and catch up with him and I might be going up there for a weekend in September for Explosions In The Sky since they're only playing a few dates this year.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

brian wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:15 pm
Sabo wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:13 pm This is a question for SCK and any other Broncos fans on the Swamp. I'm giving some serious thought to going to the Browns at Broncos game in early November. How receptive are Broncos fans to opposing team's fans, as long as the latter fans aren't dicks?

Yeah, we're friends on Facebook. Saw he's been at Colorado for a couple or three years now. Been meaning to get back up to Denver for a concert or something to try and catch up with him and I might be going up there for a weekend in September for Explosions In The Sky since they're only playing a few dates this year.
I saw him a couple of weekends ago when he was in town for a fantasy baseball draft. He's a good dude, and I always enjoy catching up with him. I was thinking about going to Colorado to visit him and joeyclams and enjoy some of the sights and smells of Colorado, but the Browns game almost makes it a certainty.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I've been to a Pats / Broncos game and had no trouble as an opposing fan.

I think as long as you're not belligerent there wouldn't be a problem, and it's not like the Broncos have a long-standing rivalry with this iteration of the Browns. Depending on how the Broncos are doing it may be a more Browns than Broncos fan base anyway, lots of Ohioians here and I'm sure they'll be coming out of the woodwork.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

Buccaneers have 7 weeks between home games at RJS
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:31 pm I've been to a Pats / Broncos game and had no trouble as an opposing fan.

I think as long as you're not belligerent there wouldn't be a problem, and it's not like the Broncos have a long-standing rivalry with this iteration of the Browns. Depending on how the Broncos are doing it may be a more Browns than Broncos fan base anyway, lots of Ohioians here and I'm sure they'll be coming out of the woodwork.
Thanks. The friend I mentioned above went to last year's game and said he was surprised at how many Browns fans were at the game.

I know everyone around here hates the Broncos pretty severely, even all these decades later. A few years ago while playing golf, I wore a hat that matched the Broncos colors. One of my playing partners kept looking at me sideways and finally said "You have a lot of balls to wear a Broncos hat here." I showed him my hat, which was from Sweet Cow in Boulder, just to prove it wasn't a Broncos hat. He at least apologized afterwards.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Raiders just over here having a normal one.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:39 am Raiders just over here having a normal one.

It's a blessing for the scouts. Can you imagine having to listen to those two talk?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Thinking about Texans @ Chargers for my birthday. $178 roundtrip from IAH to LAX.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I've not read a single word about the NFL draft* and I can't tell you how liberating that is. I was starting to hate all of the draft hype even when I really, really cared about the NFL, so this feels good.

* - Not completely entirely true as I skimmed GPJ's post a couple of weeks ago but that's been the extent of any draft coverage I've seen.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:39 am I've not read a single word about the NFL draft* and I can't tell you how liberating that is. I was starting to hate all of the draft hype even when I really, really cared about the NFL, so this feels good.

* - Not completely entirely true as I skimmed GPJ's post a couple of weeks ago but that's been the extent of any draft coverage I've seen.
I've only looked to see where UK players are projected. It's just too much anymore.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Come to think of it, I think there's a CMU kid projected to go around the second/third round. I might check to see what the latest is on him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

why would they suddenly be leery of (alleged (the police report is very bad)) domestic violence now?
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:06 pm why would they suddenly be leery of (alleged (the police report is very bad)) domestic violence now?
They had to cut one major contributor late last year and have another key player with a history of domestic abuse?

I'll grant they're not exactly the worst offenders in the league as far as coddling these guys, so that's not where I'm going, but dealing two picks and a lot of money for a guy who hasn't exactly been a model citizen w/r/t treatment of women even since he's been in the NFL is a big risk. He's one woman mouthing off to him from getting cut with a huge cap hit on the books.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This probably just gives them cover. "If they're going to trade for Clark, they can't just go cut Hill, can they?"
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

brian wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:12 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:06 pm why would they suddenly be leery of (alleged (the police report is very bad)) domestic violence now?
They had to cut one major contributor late last year and have another key player with a history of domestic abuse?

I'll grant they're not exactly the worst offenders in the league as far as coddling these guys, so that's not where I'm going, but dealing two picks and a lot of money for a guy who hasn't exactly been a model citizen w/r/t treatment of women even since he's been in the NFL is a big risk. He's one woman mouthing off to him from getting cut with a huge cap hit on the books.
they only cut the former because he lied about kicking the woman and not because he kicked the woman. and if they're willing to draft the latter player -- who pled guilty -- they're not going to blush about trading for a guy who didn't face charges

I'm not defending them either. I'm close to the point where the Chiefs and every other NFL team (and the NFL itself for that matter) should stop trying to be the morality police because of how relative the policing is
Last edited by Brontoburglar on Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:14 pm This probably just gives them cover. "If they're going to trade for Clark, they can't just go cut Hill, can they?"
was one of the first things I said. if they're trading for Clark they're not cutting Hill.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:16 pm

they only cut the former because he lied about kicking the woman and not because he kicked the woman. and if they're willing to draft the latter player -- who pled guilty -- they're not going to blush about trading for a guy who didn't face charges

I'm not defending them either. I'm close to the point where the Chiefs and every other NFL team (and the NFL itself for that matter) should stop trying to be the morality police because of how relative the policing is
On a long enough timeline, all fans of nfl teams sound like me, a bengals fan, circa 2007.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

So we're just supposed to accept that guys who beat women get second (or third) chances, but players who peacefully protest get blackballed?

I'm not calling you out, I'm just trying to get what you mean by "stop trying to be the morality police". If it's not up to the fans to police their teams and the league with their wallets and their viewing choices (or lack thereof), then who will?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

brian wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:20 pm So we're just supposed to accept that guys who beat women get second (or third) chances, but players who peacefully protest get blackballed?

I'm not calling you out, I'm just trying to get what you mean by "stop trying to be the morality police". If it's not up to the fans to police their teams and the league with their wallets and their viewing choices (or lack thereof), then who will?
My comment was in the context of players' alleged criminal transgressions and had nothing to do with players protesting during the national anthem. Though comparing the second chances of guys who have alleged criminal transgressions and the lack of second chances for those who peacefully protest is a very good example of the relativism that exists.

I do think that fan policing is the best way to show NFL teams that people care. But teams sign/trade/keep significant players with big allegations because that policing doesn't happen.

The Chiefs are trading for Clark because it makes them a better football team immediately and will have little/no impact elsewhere in terms of fan interest (after all, the blowback for drafting Hill was short lived). Knowing that, my point is that people shouldn't be expecting them to not make the deal to upgrade the team's Super Bowl chances because of how he got kicked off the team at Michigan.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Isn't Slava Voynov a strong counterpoint to how a league can (should) handle these situations?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:37 pm Isn't Slava Voynov a strong counterpoint to how a league can (should) handle these situations?
Yes, though that was a pretty extreme case. And even then, the NHL technically made him eligible again. It was only because of concern about public/fan outcry that he was never signed (well, that and questions about his ability relative to the outcry that would have ensued.).

A better example to test the NHL's mettle in these regards would be if someone like Mitch Marner or Patrik Laine beat up a woman and what would happen from that point with their teams, the league, the fans, etc.

(To be clear, not suggesting either of those guys might do anything like that, just was thinking of a young player with a lot of upside still that any team in the league would kill to have on their roster.)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

brian wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:41 pmYes, though that was a pretty extreme case. And even then, the NHL technically made him eligible again. It was only because of concern about public/fan outcry that he was never signed (well, that and questions about his ability relative to the outcry that would have ensued.).
Voynov was a legit top pair defenseman. I don't know what that equates to in the NFL but I have to imagine its greater than Kareem Hunt.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:49 pm
brian wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:41 pmYes, though that was a pretty extreme case. And even then, the NHL technically made him eligible again. It was only because of concern about public/fan outcry that he was never signed (well, that and questions about his ability relative to the outcry that would have ensued.).
Voynov was a legit top pair defenseman. I don't know what that equates to in the NFL but I have to imagine its greater than Kareem Hunt.
Yeah, I might have been underselling him, but there was definitely a question about if he would still be as useful a player as before he was suspended.

ETA: If nothing else, at least the league suspension had some real bite to it unlike this bullshit four or six game crap the NFL does.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

All those guarantees go away if he gets suspended for woman-hitting. He's different from Kareem Hunt though because Kareem Hunt actually kicked a woman on video, while Frank Clark, uh, plays an important position on defense.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

They only cut him because he's a running back and there was video. That's it. If it comes out that Tyreek Hill lied to them (which I bet he did) and there's not video, I bet he's still a Chief because he's not so easy to replace.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Maybe leagues and teams need to stop trying to be morality police.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Even Florio seems fed up.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

He’s bluffing.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Gunpowder wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:49 am

They only cut him because he's a running back and there was video. That's it. If it comes out that Tyreek Hill lied to them (which I bet he did) and there's not video, I bet he's still a Chief because he's not so easy to replace.
What if audio came out?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:30 pm

Maybe leagues and teams need to stop trying to be morality police.
you're confident the NFL/Chiefs are gonna do the right thing here?

ETA: we may never know, but I'd like to know just what she said to investigators to counter the kid's repeated claims that Tyreek hit him. And, it's still unclear if prosecutors had this audio or not when they made the decision Wednesday. The TV station said it gave the video to the DA's office, but we don't know if it's new to the DA or they said "thanks" and moved on because they haven't commented.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:06 amyou're confident the NFL/Chiefs are gonna do the right thing here?
Not sure why you think I would be?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

which goes back to my point. you can attempt to be a disciplinarian and arbiter and be really bad at it or just drop the charade entirely

in this case, it's obviously "better late than never" when it comes to actually having a good disciplinary policy and setting a precedent, but *if* Hill ends up not being charged, then who knows how the NFL will handle this.

if he's charged, there's the Peterson precedent to fall back on + the fact that Hill can be considered a repeat offender.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Why do they need to rely on their own bad precedent and/or criminal charges if they have reason to believe his repeated abuse ended up with a 3 year old having a broken arm?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:26 am Why do they need to rely on their own bad precedent and/or criminal charges if they have reason to believe his repeated abuse ended up with a 3 year old having a broken arm?
because this is the NFL and nothing is straightforward or sensical when it comes to disciplining players?