2019 NFL Offseason Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: 2019 NFL Offseason Thread

Post by mister d »

Pretty sure otherwise sensible people saying "lets not hold them accountable for holding their players accountable" is their ideal solution to all this.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

A dude arrested in 2016 for attacking a woman got drafted 19. They don't care.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

He should be closer to the bottom of Lake Kansas City than a football field entertaining people for millions of dollars.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:44 am Pretty sure otherwise sensible people saying "lets not hold them accountable for holding their players accountable" is their ideal solution to all this.
no one is saying that
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

No one is saying the league should get out of player discipline for off-field violence?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:12 am He’s bluffing.
I'd go with "completely full of shit".
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:03 am No one is saying the league should get out of player discipline for off-field violence?
Nope.
I'm not defending them either. I'm close to the point where the Chiefs and every other NFL team (and the NFL itself for that matter) should stop trying to be the morality police because of how relative the policing is
And as stated in that quoted comment that you're taking as an absolute for some reason; the reason that brings me close to that point is not because they shouldn't care -- they absolutely should and everyone here is in agreement on that. But because they're so bad at pretending to care that it makes it a farce.

If they want to turn the pretending to care into actual care, well, as said a few replies ago, better late than never and this is a good place to start. But I'm not going to pretend that this will be the place to start until it actually happens.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

What's your actual care punishment?

(Presume the audio is real and there's no reason to believe his three year old son lied about who broke his arm.)
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Two seasons seems logical given that Peterson essentially got one

ETA: I wouldn't be 100% confident in saying that a two-season ban would be a career-ender, but I'd say it's more likely than not it could/would end up being one the way that social attitudes are shifting

ETA 2: Worth noting -- and not considering in any disciplinary action -- that Hill has easily cost himself $40M in guaranteed money over the next 2-3 seasons
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

One thing I'd say here ... it shouldn't be on KC to release Hill, it should be on the league to intervene and take the decision away from them (and prevent Cleveland from signing him).
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

the case has been re-opened, so it appears that the DA did not have this tape previously
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

A_B wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:06 am
Gunpowder wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:49 am
Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:16 pm
brian wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:12 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:06 pm why would they suddenly be leery of (alleged (the police report is very bad)) domestic violence now?
They had to cut one major contributor late last year and have another key player with a history of domestic abuse?

I'll grant they're not exactly the worst offenders in the league as far as coddling these guys, so that's not where I'm going, but dealing two picks and a lot of money for a guy who hasn't exactly been a model citizen w/r/t treatment of women even since he's been in the NFL is a big risk. He's one woman mouthing off to him from getting cut with a huge cap hit on the books.
they only cut the former because he lied about kicking the woman and not because he kicked the woman. and if they're willing to draft the latter player -- who pled guilty -- they're not going to blush about trading for a guy who didn't face charges

I'm not defending them either. I'm close to the point where the Chiefs and every other NFL team (and the NFL itself for that matter) should stop trying to be the morality police because of how relative the policing is

They only cut him because he's a running back and there was video. That's it. If it comes out that Tyreek Hill lied to them (which I bet he did) and there's not video, I bet he's still a Chief because he's not so easy to replace.
What if audio came out?
Same thing. Seeing/hearing the player do something is 100x worse than hearing about it as far as blowback/pressure on the team is concerned.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Yeah I said that because audio came out.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

A_B wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:04 pm Yeah I said that because audio came out.
I know, and he's probably done now.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

At the first day of the Bears' rookie minicamp, the practice session closed with all eight kickers who are there trying a 43-yard field goal. That, of course, is the distance of Cody Parkey's missed postseason field goal.

Only two made it.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 9:41 am At the first day of the Bears' rookie minicamp, the practice session closed with all eight kickers who are there trying a 43-yard field goal. That, of course, is the distance of Cody Parkey's missed postseason field goal.

Only two made it.
In a related story, the 49ers put the franchise tag on Robbie Gould a couple months ago. He was a free agent and (supposedly) wanted to go back to the Bears. Now he says he is going to hold out.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Do the Cardinals now hang onto Peterson or get rid of him if someone offers a third and a sixth?

(He has been suspended six games)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Brontoburglar wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:50 am Do the Cardinals now hang onto Peterson or get rid of him if someone offers a third and a sixth?

(He has been suspended six games)
Prior to the suspension, there were rumors he was going to be traded to the Chiefs. Chances are the price for him just went down. Seems unlikely they would sell low.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

(Thought this would be Ryan making a Deflategate joke at a Free State Project meeting.)
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

WTF? Kaep hates the 13 star flag, too?

I don't get this one AT ALL.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Being the wealthy egomaniac he is, he insisted on multiples of 7 or nothing.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:46 am WTF? Kaep hates the 13 star flag, too?

Perhaps a flag w/ 3/5 of the stars. I don't know what was in his mind, but it's not like the formation of the country was great for African-Americans...
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

And now the governor of AZ is pulling financial incentives for Nike's new facility in Goodyear. So fuck the workers over because Nike pulled a shitty designed shoe.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:32 am

Perhaps a flag w/ 3/5 of the stars. I don't know what was in his mind, but it's not like the formation of the country was great for African-Americans...
Based on prior things that Kaepernick and others he’s close to have said, I’m sure that’s exactly what was in his mind. I think he’d argue that, at a minimum, any pre-Emancipation national symbols aren’t very worthy of respect.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Wolves and prospectors came before the Civil Rights Act too, Colin.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Joe K wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:53 am
tennbengal wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:32 am

Based on prior things that Kaepernick and others he’s close to have said, I’m sure that’s exactly what was in his mind. I think he’d argue that, at a minimum, any pre-Emancipation national symbols aren’t very worthy of respect.
The shoe is ugly as hell, so pulling it benefits everyone. But I think it's fair to say that Kaepernick certainly has reaped A LOT of the benefits of being an American, which, to me, is what that original flag stands for.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

From the article:
The report goes on to state Kaepernick and others reportedly found that version of the flag offensive since it was connected to the era of slavery.
Ok, I get it. I need to saturate my life with white guilt because the white people that founded the country are disgusting by modern standards. (Hell, I'm listening to the This Land podcast right now and getting white guiltier by the day.)

But c'mon, man. At some point you can only ride this ride for so long before it becomes insufferable. I'm guessing literally anything modern can be traced back to a time when the thing it derived from was used for bad.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A_B wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:12 amBut I think it's fair to say that Kaepernick certainly has reaped A LOT of the benefits of being an American, which, to me, is what that original flag stands for.
Isn't that the old "you're too rich to argue for the poor" logic?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Last year at this time, the Browns were as much as 95/1 to win the Super Bowl.

Currently, 12/1.

Bills have gone from 80/1 to 125/1. And I wouldn't bet a cent on them.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:20 am
A_B wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:12 amBut I think it's fair to say that Kaepernick certainly has reaped A LOT of the benefits of being an American, which, to me, is what that original flag stands for.
Isn't that the old "you're too rich to argue for the poor" logic?
Not at all, it's about more than money. It's about his activism and his ability to say those things - things that were put into the constitution pretty early on.

yes, he has made more money than most will and has also donated more than most ever will. that is a benefit of the capitalist structure that has been america. He should have made a bunch more, but that's more about 33 cowards than it is about him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

But to your sentence, Kaepernick has personally benefited so ... don't advocate on behalf of those who still have a legit complaint?

(This isn't specifically about the Ross flag, I had no idea going into today that it was an issue, but I'm also not about to say it shouldn't be?)
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I think he boxed himself into a little bit of a corner - not that he cares - and now any flag-related commercial/athletic thing has to pass through his filter. It's Nike so this is probably a very specific circumstance.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:47 am But to your sentence, Kaepernick has personally benefited so ... don't advocate on behalf of those who still have a legit complaint?

(This isn't specifically about the Ross flag, I had no idea going into today that it was an issue, but I'm also not about to say it shouldn't be?)
I guess I'm missing your point. He absolutely can/does and should advocate for those with less of a platform. And part of this country's foundation is that he can do that as a right. His personal benefits are in no way simply monetary, but yes, the monetary benefits are a positive, too. Nothing wrong with making money at all, and the more rich people who fight for the poor the better. I really didn't mean money as my central point, but it isn't something that can be discounted either. That he uses his voice and money to fight is phenomenal.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

There's also this (and I didn't know this, if it is indeed a thing):

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Maybe I misinterpreted the original, I thought you were drawing a line between "he's benefited a lot" to not protesting here.