2019 NFL Offseason Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

2019 NFL Offseason Thread

Post by DSafetyGuy »

We're a few weeks away, but coaches and front office staff have started getting fired, so it's close enough for me.

I'll use his first 100-yard rushing game in about a year to mention that I believe the Bears will trade Jordan Howard for a mid- to late-round draft pick and will draft a running back who is more of a three-down player with more speed. While he has improved in the passing game (both in blitz pick-up and receiving), I think Matt Nagy is a little handcuffed regarding everything he wants to do with the offense by Howard's limitations as a player.

He's almost certainly not going to reach 1,000 rushing yards on the season for the first time in his three years and his yards per carry has dropped each season, but he doesn't have that much wear for a guy who started for three seasons (under 300 touches per season), so someone out there will want him, especially for one season at $720K and in exchange for probably a fifth- or sixth-round pick.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Re: 2019 NFL Offseason Thread

Post by brian »

City of Oakland files federal lawsuit against the Raiders meaning it's likely the Raiders final game in Oakland is Christmas Eve.

Most likely destination for next year would be San Diego as Sam Boyd Stadium (UNLV) is too small and dilapidated for the NFL.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:18 pm City of Oakland files federal lawsuit against the Raiders meaning it's likely the Raiders final game in Oakland is Christmas Eve.

Most likely destination for next year would be San Diego as Sam Boyd Stadium (UNLV) is too small and dilapidated for the NFL.
How revolting is that situation?

A city whose team left hosting their most hated rival for a year.

Only the NFL...
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:20 pm
brian wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:18 pm City of Oakland files federal lawsuit against the Raiders meaning it's likely the Raiders final game in Oakland is Christmas Eve.

How revolting is that situation?

A city whose team left hosting their most hated rival for a year.

Only the NFL...
San Diego is merely my speculation, but it would work for a lot of reasons. Lot of Raider fans already in Southern California and only five-ish hour drive for fans in Las Vegas. An NFL-ready(ish) stadium sitting empty. I don't think they'll do well as far as selling tickets or butts in seats, but it would make the best of what is probably going to be a fucked up situation (playing in three cities in three consecutive seasons).

I think the most interesting option would be to play all their home games in Mexico City, but I don't think Estadio Azteca is up to it. San Antonio is also a possibility.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

At this point after the Chargers burned their bridges in San Diego, there may be more Raiders fans there than Charger fans. Gawd knows, it is like a Raiders home game when they play in Los Angeles.

Speaking of the Raiders, they finally got around to firing GM Reggie McKenzie last night. But, we all know that Jon Gruden has been the de-facto GM ever since he was hired. His quotes on the subject were disingenuous gold.
SF Chronic wrote:McKenzie was fired by team owner Mark Davis on Sunday evening, almost a full year after Jon Gruden’s hiring appeared to render McKenzie’s job superfluous. That silliness had gone on long enough, to the detriment of the team.

And now commences a different silliness, another awkward dance, as the Raiders transition to a new general manager, or whatever they might call the person who replaces McKenzie.

“He left some big shoes to fill,” Gruden said Monday of McKenzie. Which leads to speculation that McKenzie was ushered out of the Raiders’ headquarters so quickly he didn’t have time to put on his shoes.

“This is all somewhat surprising,” Gruden said at his weekly news conference. “There’s been a lot of speculation and lot of rumors coming out of here early in the season. You don’t know what’s real, what’s smoke, what’s fire. You really don’t.”

One way you could find out, if you’re Gruden: Ask Davis, who hired you for $100 million over 10 years. The assistant hedge-pruner at Raiders HQ in Alameda might be in the dark about McKenzie, but Gruden is higher on the food chain.

The suspicion here is that Gruden knows more about hirings and firings — and has more input in those matters — than he lets on.
LINK
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

What about London?
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:37 pm What about London?
Theoretically a possibility, but not sure there's enough time to work out the logistics. The NFLPA would likely have to sign off as well, which isn't likely at this point (that would also be a stumbling block to Mexico City).
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Las Vegas will be hosting the 2020 NFL Draft. That'll be a trip.
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

brian wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:38 pm Las Vegas will be hosting the 2020 NFL Draft. That'll be a trip.
Well, not for us.

Seriously, has there ever been a better excuse for a Swamp meet-up?
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'd totally be down, pending there's no dumb work related garbage happening that weekend.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

If we got a group together, I'd probably join in.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

brian wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:38 pm Las Vegas will be hosting the 2020 NFL Draft. That'll be a trip.
They need to bring Chris Berman for this one. "The Cleveland Browns hope to hit a jackpot with the number one pick," Always Bet on Black and Silver to take a fast receiver" "Nobody circles the poker tables likes the Buffalo Bills" "Ron the Riverboat Gambler's is testing his luck in Vegas."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

EdRomero wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:34 pm
They need to bring Chris Berman for this one. "The Cleveland Browns hope to hit a jackpot with the number one pick," Always Bet on Black and Silver to take a fast receiver" "Nobody circles the poker tables likes the Buffalo Bills" "Ron the Riverboat Gambler's is testing his luck in Vegas."
You misspelled thirty-two

EDIT: I fixed my own fucking typo.
Last edited by A_B on Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Yeah, that could be fun.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

brian wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:42 pm
Johnnie wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:37 pm What about London?
Theoretically a possibility, but not sure there's enough time to work out the logistics. The NFLPA would likely have to sign off as well, which isn't likely at this point (that would also be a stumbling block to Mexico City).
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

100% in for vegas swamp takeover 2020
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Black Monday has claimed Adam Gase, Vance Joseph, and Todd Bowles (although he got the axe last night - ETA: so did Dirk Koetter).

Steve Wilks has told the Cardinals' staff he is gone, bit no announcement yet.

Raiders have reportedly hired Mike Mayock as GM. Congrats to NFL Network's draft guru for taking a no-show job under Gruden.

ETA: And the Bengals have canned Marvin Lewis. Congrats to Hue Jackson on his inevitable fall upward.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Oh thank god. I thought for a minute you were fucking with me.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:10 am Raiders have reportedly hired Mike Mayock as GM. Congrats to NFL Network's draft guru for taking a no-show job under Gruden.
Funny, he made his name in the draft, yet I figure there is no way he is overruling Gruden on who they will pick at any time in the draft. No-show job, indeed.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I thought for sure he was back. Now if they somehow decide not to further commit franchise death by hiring Hue this will have been a very very good day.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

What are they gonna do, just go without a coach?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

They’ve been doing that for years.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Of the 26 coaches with 16 or more seasons, he has the 4th worst record. Still over .500 though. Lou Saban was .490.

To answer your next question, everyone else won a playoff game.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I knew that last part.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Coaches with no playoff wins, by years coached (we're just ruining all sorts of Swampcrash questions these days)

Marvin Lewis, 16
Jim Mora, 15
Norm Van Brocklin, 13 (never made playoffs)
Joe Kuharich, 13 (never made playoffs)
Dick Jauron, 10
Ron Meyer, 9
Marion Campbell, 9
Walt Kiesling, 9
Bruce Coslet, 9

EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Hey sancarlos,

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Teams keep going to that Patriot well, somehow not realizing there's nothing there other than Belichick.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

brian wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:45 am Teams keep going to that Patriot well, somehow not realizing there's nothing there other than Belichick.
I’m not hiring any Patriots coordinator unless Ernie Adams and his “research” methods are coming too. Patricia got the rocket scientist hype for years and has been markedly worse in Detroit than the oft-maligned Jim Caldwell. I guess Bill O’Brien has a decent track record but you wonder where he’d be if they didn’t draft Watson.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:25 am
DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:10 am Raiders have reportedly hired Mike Mayock as GM. Congrats to NFL Network's draft guru for taking a no-show job under Gruden.
Funny, he made his name in the draft, yet I figure there is no way he is overruling Gruden on who they will pick at any time in the draft. No-show job, indeed.
A blessing for those of us who've had to listen to Mayock over the years.

If nothing else, Mark Davis is doing football fans a favour by getting these guys away from the mic. Now if he could hire Arians and Beth Mowins, I would send him a thank you note.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:17 pm
sancarlos wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:25 am
A blessing for those of us who've had to listen to Mayock over the years.

If nothing else, Mark Davis is doing football fans a favour by getting these guys away from the mic. Now if he could hire Arians and Beth Mowins, I would send him a thank you note.
Please make Dan Fouts the QB coach
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Joe K wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:10 pm
brian wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:45 am Teams keep going to that Patriot well, somehow not realizing there's nothing there other than Belichick.
I’m not hiring any Patriots coordinator unless Ernie Adams and his “research” methods are coming too. Patricia got the rocket scientist hype for years and has been markedly worse in Detroit than the oft-maligned Jim Caldwell. I guess Bill O’Brien has a decent track record but you wonder where he’d be if they didn’t draft Watson.
How many head coaches have there been in the last 20 years? How many would almost everyone agree is actually good? Like 5 or 10? It's extremely rare and probably 75% luck.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Wouldn’t it be easier to just look at their records versus deciding on a top 10 and then “everyone else”?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

who wants to trade for Antonio Brown?

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ste ... 1812310108
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Ugh. Same sort of shit came out about Bell (very similar, actually, except he played that game against Jax) after last season ended.

ETA - none of the infighting with Bell, but missed practice. I looked it up and it was the Saturday walk through and showing up late on game day
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

legitimately wonder what the more preferable scenario is -- a Ben retirement or an AB trade

obviously both is worst case and keeping both and reconciling everything is best, but do you keep around the receiver who has 3-4 more potential great years left or the QB whose next season could be his last?
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Surprised Ben didn’t force him to play.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Most shocking aspect of this whole thing is that ESPN clearly credited the PP-G with breaking the story.

I have a difficult time keeping the WR (especially a temperamental one) unless there is a competent QB around to throw to him. Not sure if that is the case if 7 leaves.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:33 pm Surprised Ben didn’t force him to play.
Speaking of forced
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

EdRomero wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:38 am Hey sancarlos,

As long as they don't hire Joshie.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

rass wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:46 pm
mister d wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:33 pm Surprised Ben didn’t force him to play.
Speaking of forced
I laughed.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.