2019 NFL Offseason Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Re: 2019 NFL Offseason Thread

Post by DSafetyGuy »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:46 amYes, actually. The "white" jab kinda sucks at the Bengals, who have been diversity hiring for quite awhile now. Bieneimy had some off-field stuff that in the me too era is kinda a potential problem. So did Joseph.
I wholeheartedly agree that it sucks that a team that has been run by a minority head coach for the better part of two decades is the object of that tweet.

What would be nice is if the NFL could create a program where every team has to fund three low-end assistant coaching spots for minorities (without the accompanying "affirmative action" blowback) in order to create the opportunity for coaches to get in on the ground floor and build relationships with and learn from more experienced coaches while gaining on-the-job experience. This would create a bigger pool of candidates to move up the food chain when opportunities are created at every level (from quality control coach to position coach to coordinator), including a larger pool of candidates who can benefit from personal relationships/nepotism. Eventually, minority candidates rise and can further add diversity to their staffs (possibly enabling the NFL to reduce or remove the program).
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

Joe K wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:32 pm
A_B wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:22 pm what I’m trying to say is it isn’t like Texas tech is some hotbed of great coaches.
That may be so but even when you account for that, Kingsbury has no business being a candidate for NFL HC jobs. Maybe he’s a decently coordinator candidate but his track record at TT — where he was bad even by that program’s standards — suggests that he’s completely clueless about assembling a good defense.
I think NFL head Coach is actually one of those rare positions that there is no indicator for success....kinda like being president. nobody is qualified to do it so really anybody is. at the end of the day if you have a team with offensive and defensive coordiantors calling plays and a general manager handling roster....what exactly does a head coach do besides makeshitty ingame strat decisions and answer the same 15 questions after every game?
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Pagano is the Bears' new defensive coordinator.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

They had very little to begin with but the Steelers aren't being shy about destroying whatever leverage they might have had with other teams wanting to trade for AB.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:57 pm They had very little to begin with but the Steelers aren't being shy about destroying whatever leverage they might have had with other teams wanting to trade for AB.
His contract isn't a hard one for buyers to take, but I wouldn't be surprised if AB demands an upgraded contract from any team that wants to trade for him.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

On each of the last two days, their have been reports in the Chicago media about the Bears having interest in signing Kareem Hunt.

Please, no.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

This is pretty funny.

Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Better the goat than a beaver (or a cougar or a camel), I guess.

At some point I might be selfish and start a "Whither Antonio Brown" thread.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Jason Written as a commentator and the Pro Bowl as a televised thing in a single metaphor:

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

So that's at least 1/16th of the head coaches in the league that have worn that shirt. Kind of amazing.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Troubling article about CTE...

Was C.T.E. Stealing His Mind? A Gunshot Provided the Answer
Jason Hairston played briefly in the N.F.L., hunted with Donald Trump Jr. and owned a wildly successful hunting gear and apparel company. But he increasingly worried about a degenerative brain disease.
Couple of things: His wife knows that he is showing signs of CTE...and leaves him alone with their young kids with a house full of guns?

And a side tangent: I just don't understand the allure of Big Game Trophy hunting. This guy goes out and tracks down a 12 year old Bighorn Ram, kills it, and then talks about how amazing the experience was.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

People like what they like?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"Exactly!" - Jeffrey Dahmer
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Raiders to play 2019 at Oracle Park (if you're like me and didn't know what or where that is, it's the former AT&T Park in San Francisco).
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:12 pm Raiders to play 2019 at Oracle Park (if you're like me and didn't know what or where that is, it's the former AT&T Park in San Francisco).
Will they sell the place out? I mean, are the suckers in Oakland ready to cross the bay to have their noses rubbed in it for another season?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:15 pm
brian wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:12 pm Raiders to play 2019 at Oracle Park (if you're like me and didn't know what or where that is, it's the former AT&T Park in San Francisco).
Will they sell the place out? I mean, are the suckers in Oakland ready to cross the bay to have their noses rubbed in it for another season?
I think there's almost no limit to the kind of punishment they can endure. But there's not that much seating there for football (about 40k give or take) so I suspect they'll be able to sell it out.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

When the now Redbox Bowl was played at Oracle they had to have both teams on the same sideline. I wonder if they'll have to do that or the smaller sizes of NFL rosters, etc, will allow them to be on each
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

They’ll sell it out for sure. As said before, there’s no end to Raider fans’ devotion. They are like battered wives who won’t leave their husband. If they could play in the LA next season, they would outdraw both the Rams and Chargers.

ETA: Maybe not happening?
SF Chronicle wrote:NBC Bay Area reported Sunday evening that the Raiders had reached a deal with the Giants to play next season at Oracle Park. The NFL would have to approve a deal, however, and the 49ers would have to waive their territorial rights in San Francisco. That has not happened, according to sources familiar with the situation.
Funny thing is that there was a lot of conflicting opinions in recent weeks about whether San Francisco "should" be the temporary home for the team. Questions like, "Is it the right thing to do to your neighbor city?" "And, is it the right thing to do for Raider fans?"
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Oracle Park seems like the best result for a bad situation. I'm not sure why the 49ers would be dicks about it since the Raiders aren't using their stadium and they're leaving after next year anyway. Would be a bad look to block it, might as well let Raiders fans enjoy one last season in the Bay Area.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Kezar Stadium is available, and the Raiders played there for their first season of existence. It'd be a nice symmetry to end it there.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

L-Jam3 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:20 pm Kezar Stadium is available, and the Raiders played there for their first season of existence. It'd be a nice symmetry to end it there.
They had a demolition and reconstruction some years back. I think the current seating capacity is only about 10,000.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I was thinking about this some more, and I thought of why the 49ers might fight the Raiders' playing in San Francisco.

1. The 49ers would lose a PR battle if the Raiders could claim that they are actually San Francisco's team.
2. If they can force the Raiders to play at Levi's stadium with them in Santa Clara, the Niners receive their rent payments. Makes financial sense.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I think they would at least want them to not play home games on same day
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I'm early in my 5-minute Youtube review process but so far Dwayne Haskins looks better to me than any of the QBs from last year's draft.

Early impressions so far on draft picks:

The corners (particularly Byron Murphy) look incredible. If Greedy Williams' technique improves substantially with NFL coaching, he might be ridiculous.

The pass rushers (particularly Josh Allen) look unimpressive. I have no idea what people are seeing in Allen. Rashaan Gary has no pass rush moves at all but Michigan inexplicably used him as an edge rusher. So far he's the most impressive of the DL/DE guys to me, if used properly and if he develops.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Fuck you!
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Shit, forgot about Baker. He looks like a future Hall of Famer in the NFL, for real. In college he was also awesome but it was tough to be sure because his guys were so wide open (the Marcus Mariota at Oregon dilemma).

Haskins looks really good is my main point, at least.

Oh, and Quinnen Williams is ridiculous and is double teamed on literally 95+% of plays. Rashaan Gary caught a lot of chips and extra attention too but with Williams it's ludicrous how many resources had to be dedicated to stopping this guy.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Gunpowder wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:49 am I'm early in my 5-minute Youtube review process but so far Dwayne Haskins looks better to me than any of the QBs from last year's draft.

The corners (particularly Byron Murphy) look incredible. If Greedy Williams' technique improves substantially with NFL coaching, he might be ridiculous.

The pass rushers (particularly Josh Allen) look unimpressive. I have no idea what people are seeing in Allen. Rashaan Gary has no pass rush moves at all but Michigan inexplicably used him as an edge rusher. So far he's the most impressive of the DL/DE guys to me, if used properly and if he develops.
"Greedy" is either the best or worst first name I have ever heard.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:08 pm
Gunpowder wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:49 am I'm early in my 5-minute Youtube review process but so far Dwayne Haskins looks better to me than any of the QBs from last year's draft.

"Greedy" is either the best or worst first name I have ever heard.
Can't be the worst - that's already taken by another guy in this draft:

https://texassports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=8146
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

So fucking dumb. What’s the point of a pissing contest if they’re leaving anyway. And why wouldn’t San Francisco want the income from 9 games in SF? I thought income from sports teams is supposed to be the end all, be all.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:36 pm So fucking dumb. What’s the point of a pissing contest if they’re leaving anyway. And why wouldn’t San Francisco want the income from 9 games in SF? I thought income from sports teams is supposed to be the end all, be all.
I would guess that her political counterparts/allies in Oakland are whispering in her ear.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I love it - anything that adds to the Raiders' problems is fine with me.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Pats are apparently adding Schiano to replace Flores...

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Zero shock there. Belichick loves that guy. I don't think he's bad either.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Hey guys, I don't think Bengal likes the new staffing hires for the Bengals.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:40 am Hey guys, I don't think Bengal likes the new staffing hires for the Bengals.
So glad I can now make my bitching mainstream. The hire of Turner at o-line coach is absolutely shit. At least I know one of the beat writers will ask Taylor about it. Accountability and culture change my ass. Talk about making yourself a liar as fast as possible.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:46 am
A_B wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:40 am Hey guys, I don't think Bengal likes the new staffing hires for the Bengals.
So glad I can now make my bitching mainstream. The hire of Turner at o-line coach is absolutely shit. At least I know one of the beat writers will ask Taylor about it. Accountability and culture change my ass. Talk about making yourself a liar as fast as possible.
For those of us who don't follow the Bengals, what's the beef with this guy? Did he look the other way at a rape scandal in college or kick your dog or what? I've never heard of him and not sure why an OL coach hiring matters that much.

ETA: Never mind. I hit the Googles and see he was the OL coach during the Miami bullying thing.