2019 NFL Offseason Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Re: 2019 NFL Offseason Thread

Post by Joe K »

A_B wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:22 pm what I’m trying to say is it isn’t like Texas tech is some hotbed of great coaches.
That may be so but even when you account for that, Kingsbury has no business being a candidate for NFL HC jobs. Maybe he’s a decently coordinator candidate but his track record at TT — where he was bad even by that program’s standards — suggests that he’s completely clueless about assembling a good defense.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

That’s a hundred percent fair.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

He was known for making his qb look good, right? I think teams are looking for the next Reich, Peterson, or McVay. I can see teams looking more at innovation, schemes, and personalities more than winning percentage with college coaches.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

EdRomero wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:07 pm He was known for making his qb look good, right? I think teams are looking for the next Reich, Peterson, or McVay. I can see teams looking more at innovation, schemes, and personalities more than winning percentage with college coaches.
Yeah, and they might figure they can find a Wade Phillips-type DC for him, to handle the defensive side of the ball.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Kingsbury hired as head coach at Arizona.

Cardinals. An NFL team. The NFL Cardinals.

Fired at Texas Tech and hired by the NFL a month later. What a time to be alive.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Is it possible thats fine, that he might be a very good coach and a very shitty recruiter?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:23 pm Is it possible thats fine, that he might be a very good coach and a very shitty recruiter?
It's always possible, but there's not much evidence to suggest that's the case. Texas Tech isn't the easiest place to win at, but the guys before Kingsbury did about the same or better with similar recruiting profiles. There's an argument to be made this is almost solely a response to the success of Mahomes in which case they should probably be hiring KC assistant coaches/QB coaches.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

We talked about this in the college football thread, but there's a case to be made that an XFL business model that simply rejects the NFL's rules related to eligibility would be quite successful. An 8-team league comprised mostly of players who have no interest in college that is a training ground for future NFL players would likely work very well.

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

brian wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:26 pm
mister d wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:23 pm Is it possible thats fine, that he might be a very good coach and a very shitty recruiter?
It's always possible, but there's not much evidence to suggest that's the case. Texas Tech isn't the easiest place to win at, but the guys before Kingsbury did about the same or better with similar recruiting profiles. There's an argument to be made this is almost solely a response to the success of Mahomes in which case they should probably be hiring KC assistant coaches/QB coaches.
Especially since former KC assistants Doug Pederson and Matt Nagy have been doing really well as NFL head coaches. There’s like 2 decades of evidence that Andy Reid’s system works in the NFL and really no evidence that Kingsbury knows what he’s doing as a head coach.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Just 5 years as a HC in college....and super young. I guess you need someone to go to the shitshow that is the Cardinals, but think he'd be a better OC than a HC.

Glad I'm not a Cardinals fan.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Per a few sources including this article in the Athletic (if you subscribe), the Broncos interviewed five, then narrowed it down to Mike Munchak and Vic Fangio. Not real excited about either, but I hope they pick Fangio.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:22 pm Per a few sources including this article in the Athletic (if you subscribe), the Broncos interviewed five, then narrowed it down to Mike Munchak and Vic Fangio. Not real excited about either, but I hope they pick Fangio.
Munchak and Fangio? Hilarious. Did Jim Tomsula turn them down?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:33 pm
sancarlos wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:22 pm Per a few sources including this article in the Athletic (if you subscribe), the Broncos interviewed five, then narrowed it down to Mike Munchak and Vic Fangio. Not real excited about either, but I hope they pick Fangio.
Munchak and Fangio? Hilarious. Did Jim Tomsula turn them down?
That hurts.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I have very little right to make fun.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

id honestly rather have munchak or fangio than obrien. fuck i hate watching him try to make decisions related to football
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I hope the Broncos take Munchak.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

brian wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:30 pm We talked about this in the college football thread, but there's a case to be made that an XFL business model that simply rejects the NFL's rules related to eligibility would be quite successful. An 8-team league comprised mostly of players who have no interest in college that is a training ground for future NFL players would likely work very well.

It'd be fascinating to see if your opinion is widespread because there aren't many people who think the G-League route that the NBA is offering is more appealing than playing college basketball.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I imagine it is if you live in poverty?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

There's also the whole 3 years > 1 year.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I don't think it's apples to apples to compare to the G-League, especially since right now players only have to "serve" one year in college. I don't think that G-League proposal to pay $150K or whatever it is will move the needle for getting elite players.

But if the XFL or one of the other new pro leagues is able to build what essentially amounts to an 8-team league with a bunch of what would be four or five-star college prospects, but one that pays the players and where they don't have to pretend to go to class then it could be pretty decent. The quality would be similar to college of course because that's essentially what it is, but the market is out there.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Gregg Williams out in Cleveland.

I can;t stand the guy, so I think this is a step in the right direction.

ETA: And Freddie Kitchens the new head coach.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

According to local Denver Radio it's Vic Fangio in Elwayland.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Packers new coach was at Mount Pleasant (MI) HS while I was in college in the same town.

For starters that makes me feel old. Also, it's not a big town even with 18,000 students so always makes you wonder if you were at the same events from time to time. Not like we checked IDs for our house parties.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

brian wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:24 am I don't think it's apples to apples to compare to the G-League, especially since right now players only have to "serve" one year in college. I don't think that G-League proposal to pay $150K or whatever it is will move the needle for getting elite players.

But if the XFL or one of the other new pro leagues is able to build what essentially amounts to an 8-team league with a bunch of what would be four or five-star college prospects, but one that pays the players and where they don't have to pretend to go to class then it could be pretty decent. The quality would be similar to college of course because that's essentially what it is, but the market is out there.
I think the market can be there too. And I think the reason there has never been the NFL minor league is because there never needed to be an NFL minor league. College football has had the infrastructure for so long that it wasn't necessary.

If the AAF or the XFL wanted to go the younger player route? Then things could get interesting. However, I'm also not sure if a football league with 18 and 19-year-olds and 30-year-olds refusing to hang it up would work either. If there was an age ceiling along with a lower floor than the NFL has now? It's an interesting proposition at the very least if non-NFL league teams are willing to put in the infrastructure investments along with the salary to make it attractive to choose them over college football. I think that's a pretty big if though.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:11 pm However, I'm also not sure if a football league with 18 and 19-year-olds and 30-year-olds refusing to hang it up would work either. .
Throw in a female kicker and I think you have a gold mine.

well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

As a Bills fan, I love that the Jets chose Adam Gase.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:59 pm As a Bills fan, I love that the Jets chose Adam Gase.
Yeah, he really hasn’t shown much outside of the years he worked with Peyton Manning in Denver. The Bears offense sucked in his year there and the Dolphins have been highly mediocre the last 3 years. Maybe it’s a different story if Tannehill stayed healthy but I really don’t get the Gase hype.
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

I know this isn’t considered a great crop of HC candidates, but with the exception of TB it feels as though each team with an opening has made the worst possible choice.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Rams Fanny wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:46 am I know this isn’t considered a great crop of HC candidates, but with the exception of TB it feels as though each team with an opening has made the worst possible choice.
I also like the Fangio/Kubiak combo in Denver but Elway has put them in a tough spot with his inability to evaluate QBs. At least he gave them 4 great years by successfully recruiting Peyton.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Joe K wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:22 pm
Pruitt wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:59 pm As a Bills fan, I love that the Jets chose Adam Gase.
Yeah, he really hasn’t shown much outside of the years he worked with Peyton Manning in Denver. The Bears offense sucked in his year there and the Dolphins have been highly mediocre the last 3 years. Maybe it’s a different story if Tannehill stayed healthy but I really don’t get the Gase hype.

And when you think of Peyton Manning's success, you think of the Broncos years...

I don't know enough about any of the candidates to have an informed opinion, but I really don't have a good feeling about the Gase hire. That said, I think I'd have an uneasy feeling no matter who the Jets hired. It does sting a bit that they hired a coach younger than me. Also no longer looking forward to attending a dinner honoring Todd Bowles' wife in a couple weeks. At least he has landed another job already. Not sure what you say to a guy you meet so soon after he is publicly fired.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

So, Tucson is pursuing being the Raiders' home for next season.

That sounds just bizarre enough for me to enjoy.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

THE AFC East, explained

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Do you feel the excitement, bengal?!?!?!?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Yes, actually. The "white" jab kinda sucks at the Bengals, who have been diversity hiring for quite awhile now. Bieneimy had some off-field stuff that in the me too era is kinda a potential problem. So did Joseph.

As for the rest of it, I have no idea what makes a good head coach. Resumes that pop for hires who fail spectacularly. Resumes that look like ass that work out just fine (John Harbaugh, for instance, or Sam Wyche back in the day).

He apparently interviewed tremendously. The decision was made by Katie and Troy not the old man (who apparently wanted Vance Joseph). It represents a completely new direction for the team, and I cannot begin to express how nice it is to try something different.

Worst case, he is full blown terrible and is fired two years from now after going 2-30. But in that case, they have the #1 pick in 2021 and get to draft the Clemson QB. The McVay and Pederson hires were savaged, they've done pretty damn good. The Cardinals hire was savaged, and he sucked. I am down for wherever this ride goes, and am happy the team is swinging big, even if it fails. I will take this 10 times out of 10 over Gase, or Hue, and Joseph.

All in.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

He's so white he won't even waste one K on his name

(this joke does not work. at all. it stays, but yeah no.)
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:41 am
Seems like a lot of parallels with David Shula.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ryan wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:58 am He's so white he won't even waste one K on his name

(this joke does not work. at all. it stays, but yeah no.)
As in the KKK.

Two more.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:46 am
Worst case, he is full blown terrible and is fired two years from now after going 2-30. But in that case, they have the #1 pick in 2021 and get to draft the Clemson QB. The McVay and Pederson hires were savaged, they've done pretty damn good. The Cardinals hire was savaged, and he sucked. I am down for wherever this ride goes, and am happy the team is swinging big, even if it fails. I will take this 10 times out of 10 over Gase, or Hue, and Joseph.

All in.
At lest it wasn't Hue jackson.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:18 pm
EdRomero wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:07 pm He (Kingsbury) was known for making his qb look good, right? I think teams are looking for the next Reich, Peterson, or McVay. I can see teams looking more at innovation, schemes, and personalities more than winning percentage with college coaches.
Yeah, and they might figure they can find a Wade Phillips-type DC for him, to handle the defensive side of the ball.
Arizona names Vance Joseph as DC. Don't think he fits the bill I proposed above.