Winter Reading Thread 2018-19

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Winter Reading Thread 2018-19

Post by Pruitt »

Just started this book...

Really enjoyable - and about a place I really don't care about. But the reviews were great and it's started out really well.

Weird fact about OKC: On the day it was founded, its population went from zero to 10,000 in two hours.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Re: Winter Reading Thread 2018-19

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:52 am Just started this book...

Really enjoyable - and about a place I really don't care about. But the reviews were great and it's started out really well.

Weird fact about OKC: On the day it was founded, its population went from zero to 10,000 in two hours.
I have the feeling that book would be right in my wheelhouse (I love obscure history type books), but that I would get infinitely pissed off when it comes to the part where Clay Bennett, David Stern, Howard Schulz, and Greg Nichols steal the Sonics from Seattle. Fuck all of them to infinity.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Yeah, I get the feeling that there's a lot of Thunder material. The 2nd chapter was about James Harden.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Pretty fucking horrible how the government fucked the Indians out of their land for the 1889 land rush that created these towns. The settlers also frequently stole the possessions of the nearby Indians as they set up their new homesteads. Many Indians went from relative prosperity to being paupers overnight.
One of many sources
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:15 pm Pretty fucking horrible how the government fucked the Indians out of their land for the 1889 land rush that created these towns. The settlers also frequently stole the possessions of the nearby Indians as they set up their new homesteads. Many Indians went from relative prosperity to being paupers overnight.
One of many sources
White people fucked over brown people? That’s not what my history books said.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Listened to 5/7 of Kitchen Confidential on a work trip past couple of days. Man what a great book. The chapter on a day in the life was friggin amazing.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A_B wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:28 pm Listened to 5/7 of Kitchen Confidential on a work trip past couple of days. Man what a great book. The chapter on a day in the life was friggin amazing.
I read that book maybe a decade ago, but so many things he wrote about restaurants has stuck with me.

No sunday brunches... ever!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Amazing and gut-wrenching book...

Which led me to watch this - one of the most incredible and terrifying things I have ever watched.

It's 25 minutes long, but it is incredible.

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Recommends a classic piece for each day and gives a short snippet of each piece.

YouTube link for January if you want to catch up.

Also

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:00 pm Image

Recommends a classic piece for each day and gives a short snippet of each piece.

YouTube link for January if you want to catch up.
On Spotify too. What a cool idea.

For work...

Tons of fun.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Russian Roulette by Isikoff and Corn, who are are as good as deep dive journalism gets. I started listening today, and can't put this down. An interesting take on Putin, they portray him as having a deep paranoia of a coup, and wild mistrust of everything and everyone. They gave some god insight into his hatred of Hillary on a personal, slightly on a personal level, but also saying he was convinced that Hillary, as Secretary of State, fomented dissent and organized protests against him. There is just so much involved in Trump/Russia ad Russia interfering with the election, that it's impossible to remember it all, and sometimes easy to miss the connection between pieces of the story that came out at different times.

The brief recap they gave on Obama's policies towards Russia were not pretty. Embarrassing to look back and remember that I laughed when Obama attacked Romney for living in the 80s thinking Russia was the biggest threat. Isikoff and Corn have Obama's Russian policy team quoted as admitting they had it all wrong. Basically, they believed they could reset the relationship and start working as allies with Russia, and Putin went into full attack mode, and Obama ignored the attacks in an effort to not escalate.

An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Strange, short and powerful novel about the German invasion of Austria, and the culpability of German industrialists.

(Not a good blurb, but a really interesting book).

Need something lighter, on to...

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I have DNSAAP in the queue..

finally reading

and perusing

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I was and still am a fan of alt. country, and Whiskeytown was one of the standard-bearers in the late 90s. I saw Whiskeytown three times, and twice saw Ryan Adams behaving very badly. So, I knew I'd enjoy this one, written by their tour manager.

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'm definitely gonna have to read that. I only saw Whiskeytown once, but it was quite memorable as Ryan Adams threatened to stop the concert unless people at the bar trying to get drinks quit talking and then threatening to fight a bouncer.

I always wondered once he got sober if there was ever any chance of a reunion one day. If it were just Ryan Adams and Caitlin Cary with Adams' usual backing band(s) that would be close enough for me.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:09 am Russian Roulette by Isikoff and Corn, who are are as good as deep dive journalism gets. I started listening today, and can't put this down. An interesting take on Putin, they portray him as having a deep paranoia of a coup, and wild mistrust of everything and everyone. They gave some god insight into his hatred of Hillary on a personal, slightly on a personal level, but also saying he was convinced that Hillary, as Secretary of State, fomented dissent and organized protests against him. There is just so much involved in Trump/Russia ad Russia interfering with the election, that it's impossible to remember it all, and sometimes easy to miss the connection between pieces of the story that came out at different times.

The brief recap they gave on Obama's policies towards Russia were not pretty. Embarrassing to look back and remember that I laughed when Obama attacked Romney for living in the 80s thinking Russia was the biggest threat. Isikoff and Corn have Obama's Russian policy team quoted as admitting they had it all wrong. Basically, they believed they could reset the relationship and start working as allies with Russia, and Putin went into full attack mode, and Obama ignored the attacks in an effort to not escalate.

I'm reading this right now and it's really good. It's my go-to book when I ride the stationary bike. Russian Roulette was great.

Also reading this:

Boom Town was fantastic, but I'm also biased because I'm a Thunder fan and have a lot of familiarity with Oklahoma (despite not knowing anything about the city's origin)

Also have Kruse's new book in the queue.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:02 pm I was and still am a fan of alt. country, and Whiskeytown was one of the standard-bearers in the late 90s. I saw Whiskeytown three times, and twice saw Ryan Adams behaving very badly. So, I knew I'd enjoy this one, written by their tour manager.

The epilogue on the paperback edition will be awesome.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

This was pretty good. A lot of interesting stuff, but lots of esoteric information that can be skimmed over

[/quote]

Just started this novel, looks promising...

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Most of you won't care about this, but it is a very good read. He writes well and it is interesting to see the dynamics at the lower/mid level of pro cycling.. Also he came right at the end of the doping era. So trying to be a clean pro as the cycling world was crashing is interesting.

Also finished this too
Probably better books in this genre to read