The Covington Catholic video...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Shirley
The Dude

Re: The Covington Catholic video...

Post by Shirley »

Rashomon in nearly real time.

I've watched a number of the different videos (not that that 100 minute one) and ... really, you can see what you want to see. I think the participants had very different views of what was going on at the time, and so do all of us, the observers, watching the videos later.

Like most of us, I see a large group of white teens wearing MAGA hats and sweatshirts, and I already don't like these kids regardless of what they're doing. Of course I'm going to assume the worst in any behavior I see. And of course, the 40% or so who support(ed) Trump are inclined to see the opposite.

There's no obvious right interpretation of what happened. If you're 100% sure you know what you're seeing, you're saying more about yourself than the participants.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Black Israelites: Bad
MAGA teens: Bad
Native Americans: Not bad

There are derees of badness and I’m sure some of the native Americans are actually bad but I really don’t think assessing the actors in this incident is all that hard.
Last edited by mister d on Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

bapo! wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:04 pm Man, you guys sure do love to hate.

I don't think I had ever been more disgusted with the media (and social media) as I was this weekend. Just a willful misrepresentation of what happened. I was following the conversation online on Saturday and thought that I was losing my mind, not least of all because I had to wade thru the effing chans to get a fuller picture of what went down. That's never a good feeling.

Like, the right is going to hate and mistrust the left and the media no matter what. Why make it easier for them? The Sarah Jeong fiasco was bad enough. Now this. Why give them a reason to feel superior?

Twitter is a minefield. Doxxing going on all over the place. A writer for Vulture was just fired for an unfortunate tweet about the kids. It's going to be a crazy week. This is not our proudest moment as a Republic.
The horse you rode in on just took a dump. Careful not to step in it on your way out.
Noli Timere Messorem
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

mister d wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:40 pm Black Israelites: Bad

There are derees of badness and I’m sure some of the native Americans are actually bad but I really don’t think assessing the actors in this incident is all that hard.
Just curious, are you counting the very act of wearing a MAGA hat as bad? Because besides that, the only unambiguously disrespectful behavior I saw from the teens in the videos I warched was the few that did the Tomahawk Chop. And I don’t think the kid in the photos was one of the ones doing that — at least not on video.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Defining the actors doesn't always explain the actions. And of the two Native Americans I remember from the videos (the old drumming guy and the one mouthy guy), one was being a pretty big asshole.

But I'll agree that pretty much everyone gets the role of the Hebrew Israelites correct. They were being agitators and dicks.

It's the other stuff that's murky, especially when you consider that Nathan Phillips says he was there to protect the Hebrew Israelites from the aggressive teens. I think he misread the situation and then things just got messier. He also said "I found myself in the middle of it, sort of woke up to it," but the video pretty clearly shows him walking up to the kids from a distance.

I don't think any of the three sides were innocent there. And in hindsight, nobody did anything that bad either. It could have been much worse.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Joe K wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:45 pmJust curious, are you counting the very act of wearing a MAGA hat as bad? Because besides that, the only unambiguously disrespectful behavior I saw from the teens in the videos I warched was the few that did the Tomahawk Chop. And I don’t think the kid in the photos was one of the ones doing that — at least not on video.
1. Kinda, yes. They might not understand the full effect the hat has on others, but they embrace what they do understand. None of this makes them irredeemable, but almost universally this type I knew when I was young grew up to be the same type of adult. Being racist doesn’t seem to be looked back on as a phase.

2. If you’re still not sold, just look up Michael Schur’s Twitter feed or search the school and you’re going to see this doesn’t really look like an innocent misunderstanding.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Shirley wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:54 pmI don't think any of the three sides were innocent there. And in hindsight, nobody did anything that bad either.
I think you need to ask yourself why each of those three sides were there before you just decide to split the blame in three and call it a lesson.
Last edited by mister d on Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Joe K wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:45 pm Just curious, are you counting the very act of wearing a MAGA hat as bad?
Of course I do. It's misinformed, divisively bold statement of ignorance. I'd cross the street before acknowledge somebody wearing that hat. I mean, the elder tried to create a teachable moment and how well did that work out?
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Shirley wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:54 pm
I don't think any of the three sides were innocent there. And in hindsight, nobody did anything that bad either. It could have been much worse.
The worst of 'em all are the chaperones who should know better.
Noli Timere Messorem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:01 pm
Right? Who let a group of HS boys argue with the Black Israelites for over an hour? Fuck, 10 seconds is more than enough time to realize no good will come out of that scene.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:06 pm
Right? Who let a group of HS boys argue with the Black Israelites for over an hour? Fuck, 10 seconds is more than enough time to realize no good will come out of that scene.
And let's just call it for what it is:

Did you give a fuck about any social issue when you were 16 years old? Would you have been stoked to get on a bus and ride to Washington DC and take part in a protest against women and their right to choose? At 16? And now filter in the fact your parents are likely Trumpers. Hell, Dad probably bought you that MAGA hat.

And yes, if that was a UK or a Cincy Reds hat, the dialog perhaps would've been about how under educated we are as a society towards Native Americans. But MAGA makes it about hate and derision.

At the end of the day - fuck the media for walking anything back, because the real story isn't a rush to judgement. It's a rush to call MAGA for what it represents.

Oof. I just found sympathy for those little fuckers.
Noli Timere Messorem
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

mister d wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:58 pm
Shirley wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:54 pmI don't think any of the three sides were innocent there. And in hindsight, nobody did anything that bad either.
I think you need to ask yourself why each of those three sides were there before you just decide to split the blame in three and call it a lesson.
This makes no sense.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think it does. You’re starting them on equal ground when logic tells you not to.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm not walking shit back. I went to a Catholic High School. I know the exact type of whites involved with shit like this. I know what kind of parents raised them.

They are scumbags. Now they get to galavant about it proudly because being overtly racist is in fashion. There's even a hat for it and everything.

The media is a bunch of pussies.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Well, look who's wearing the Polyanna lenses today!

You don't even have to check the listings to be able to guess who was on "Fox & Friends" this morning...
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Maybe it's my own insulation, but I will have to admit I didn't have a clue that the black Israelites were a thing. Now, were I the chaperone, I wouldn't have let the students yell with anyone, but I'm obviously a big and important internet moralist who would never let injustice stand on my watch.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

I'm starting to think chaperones to an anti-abortion march may be a little different than chaperones to a museum.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

EdRomero wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:14 am I'm starting to think chaperones to an anti-abortion march may be a little different than chaperones to a museum.
Nice!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A_B wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:08 am
Maybe it's my own insulation, but I will have to admit I didn't have a clue that the black Israelites were a thing. Now, were I the chaperone, I wouldn't have let the students yell with anyone, but I'm obviously a big and important internet moralist who would never let injustice stand on my watch.
If you’ve ever lived in a metropolitan east coast city, you’d know about the black Israelites. They are whackos. I have little doubt (no, zero doubt) that the DC police would’ve shared information on a list of known agitators should you have asked them, you know, considering you’re planning to attend a march with a bunch of kids.

And would it be your keyboard morality that gets in the way of deciding not to risk the kids under your purview, and not say, the good sense to recognize that things could spiral quickly out of control?
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

NO, just saying sitting being a keyboard and saying how you would react is different from standing there. Now, I personally have a few instances where I have done something like this. However, many have not and you never know how you will react.

Morality is the same whether behind a keyboard or not. Action is different and requires some courage and yes, those chaperones clearly lacked it.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Just gonna leave this here for Bapo! and anyone else who is getting played by the right wing media:

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Bump. And, to ensure it is read, because, as usual Laura Wagner is amazing, here it is in full (need to click it to read her embeds):
Two days ago, video was posted online that pretty much everyone who saw immediately recognized for what it was—footage of white teens taunting and harassing a Native American elder named Nathan Phillips on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial. What was happening was clear and unmistakable, not just resonant but immediately recognizable as iconic. If you wanted to compress the history of relations between the powerful and the powerless in America, or the dynamics of the current moment, into a single image, you couldn’t do much better than to present a white teen in a MAGA hat, surrounded by a screaming horde of his peers, smirking into the face of an old Native American man.

Perhaps—probably—because what had happened was so undeniable, it was immediately denied. Right-wing trolls not only immediately proposed that the visibly aggressive teens, who were draped in the symbols of white nationalism and misogyny, were in fact the aggressed upon, but began a campaign of brutal online harassment against anyone—especially journalists and especially female journalists—who accurately described what they had seen, or reacted to it on the terms it deserved. In all it was an enactment of the culture-war tactics pioneered by Gamergate and used by Donald Trump to ascend to the pinnacle of global power: While random MAGA chuds and Pepes doxxed and threatened people online in an attempt to silence them and intimidate others, respectable types urged caution, proposing that if you were thoughtful enough you would perhaps realize that you hadn’t in fact seen what you had just seen, or that if you had, maybe it wasn’t that bad at all. Straight news reporters like the Wall Street Journal’s Byron Tau turned the subtext into text, asking whomst among us hasn’t participated in a racially-charged frenzy of barely-restrained violence that they wish hadn’t been become an instantly iconic representation of what America has been historically and what it is now:

Yesterday, Reason’s Robby Soave, a professional contrarian, published a story built around a video, which is linked in the post, showing what was plainly visible in the initial footage—belligerent teens chanting and crowding around an old man until he was surrounded—but proposing that it added “important context that strongly contradicts the media’s narrative.” The video did add context, showing that Phillips and other demonstrators present for the Indigenous Peoples’ March were interposing themselves between between teens draped in racist, misogynist paraphernalia and members of the Black Israelite cult, but did not, despite Soave’s assertions, contradict the narratives set forth by either Phillips or “the media” (by which one can only assume he meant journalists straightforwardly describing what was there to be seen). Last night, the smirking teen, Nick Sandmann, was identified in a statement issued in his name by the publicity firm his parents hired for him, in which he suggested that he was in fact the victim in the situation.

The reaction to Soave’s story and to the public-relations firm’s statement was as depressing at it was predictable: Respectable news organizations and journalists, to whom being seen as balanced, level-headed, and more attuned to context and contingency than the reactive social-media mob is more important than reporting the most accurate version of the truth as best they can tell it, backed off, following Reason’s lead and doing the work of the gibbering masturbators who had risen up in defense of the MAGA teens. They were all too happy to say that the sky was not blue if it meant burnishing their credentials as serious and objective, and fell over each other to back away from what was right in front of their eyes.

Here’s the New York Times:

Here’s CNN:

Here’s The Atlantic (complete with some transparently coded racist language):

Here’s the Huffington Post:

Here’s the Washington Examiner:

Here’s the Washington Times:

Here’s Bustle:

Strangely—or perhaps not—these stories either gloss over or fail to mention completely the fact that the white MAGA-clad students, from a pricey Kentucky private school called Covington Catholic, were doing the tomahawk-chop motion and mocking the way Phillips was singing. Neither do they detail the fact that Phillips only walked near the writhing mass of sneering young white men as a way to try and calm them. Re-litigating what is as plain to see on the initial videos as it is on the one Soave surfaced or as it is on any others is as exasperating as it is depressing an exercise, but it’s perhaps worth noting that the clearest and most revelatory video—one that has not to my knowledge caused any reconsideration in respectable outlets of what actually happened here—comes from Indian Country Today, a vital news outlet covering Native issues. Here’s unedited video of the minutes leading up to the video of Sandmann smirking in Phillips’ face:

One lesson of the past two days is that you will see what you want to see here, if you are determined to do so; that does not mean that there is anything to be seen but what is there. I see a frothing mass of MAGA youth—who, since we’re taking in all angles here, go to a school where students fairly recently wore blackface to a basketball game—frenzied and yelling and out of control. I see four black men who seem to belong to the Black Israelites—a threat to women in their orbit, but not to random white people they’re heckling—yelling insults at the students. Then I see Phillips, as he has stated from the beginning that he did, walk up to the teens, in what seems to be an attempt to diffuse the situation. I see them laughing and dancing, red MAGA hats bobbing up and down in glee. I see them yell in Phillips’ face, and I see that he doesn’t falter. I see the smugness of a group secure in its relative power over someone more vulnerable than they are. Nothing about the video showing the offensive language of Black Israelites changes how upsetting it was to see the Covington students, and Sandmann in particular, stare at Phillips with such contempt. I don’t see how you could watch this and think otherwise unless you’re willing to gaslight yourself, and others, in the service of granting undeserved sympathy to the privileged. Many were more than happy to do just that:

I can only hope these journalists and public figures, so eager to perform reasonableness over something they didn’t even get wrong, will publicly self-flagellate just as vigorously when they actually fuck up in the future.

As for why so many people are willing to not trust their own eyes; why they’ll readily accept the MAGA teen’s shitty and unconvincing publicist-created explanation that he didn’t do anything wrong; why news organizations rolled back reporting based on little new evidence; and why so many people lashed themselves to the whipping post in the square and begged for forgiveness, the answer is, I think, simple: These people are willing to give the screaming mob of white teens the benefit of the doubt because it distinguishes them from the emotion-driven hordes. It’s something like virtue signaling, but instead of attempting to signal that they hold any type of moral or ethical principles, these people are attempting to show that they are willing to be chastened, and so are thoughtful. I can admit when I’m wrong, they say, so you can always trust me.

It’s never good for the likes of Robby Soave or Bari Weiss or the cool priest or The Atlantic or CNN to be too vociferously on the same side as people on the left angrily yelling about how a bad thing is bad, not only because it’s not the done thing but because their brands rely on finding middle ground and pushing back against anyone who seems to care too much about something they don’t. (Somehow, of course, this always seems to land them on the side of the powerful and the privileged.) They need to be seen as reasonable and responsible and responsive, different from the frenzied masses. If that means siding with some shithead MAGA teens and saying that 2 + 2 = 5 in the face of every bit of evidence there is to be had, so be it.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Hey... Hey guys?

Trump is a racist. MAGA hats = supporting a racist president/movement.

That's well known, especially to kids in Cincy/KY that go to a rich, mostly white private school. They have parents and teachers that love a racist president.

Very weird to see people trying to downplay what wearing that hat means. It's not a complicated or hidden secret or something.

To reiterate: This is a school (parents, teachers included) that thinks black face at a basketball game is cool.

WTF are we even debating here. Racist kids surrounded and mocked a native american guy. Not that complicated. Yeah, it was chaotic and some Black Israelites stirred it all up... But these kids waded right in there and did what they did.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I may be going out on a limb here, but I haven't seen anyone in this medium "siding with some shithead MAGA teens and saying that 2 + 2 = 5 in the face of every bit of evidence there is to be had"
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:15 am I may be going out on a limb here, but I haven't seen anyone in this medium "siding with some shithead MAGA teens and saying that 2 + 2 = 5 in the face of every bit of evidence there is to be had"
This forum? There have been several sidling up to it.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

There's a whole lot of walking back what those kids did and obfuscating going on. Playing right into the hands of an obvious crisis communications ploy trotted out just as tb is pointing towards. And flipping between CNN and MSNBC this morning, I don't see one segment correcting their bullshit corrections from yesterday.

There was also some nonsense on here about "naive kids, not knowing what those hats represent." That's some bullshit.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Like, this.
bapo! wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:04 pm Man, you guys sure do love to hate.

I don't think I had ever been more disgusted with the media (and social media) as I was this weekend. Just a willful misrepresentation of what happened. I was following the conversation online on Saturday and thought that I was losing my mind, not least of all because I had to wade thru the effing chans to get a fuller picture of what went down. That's never a good feeling.

Like, the right is going to hate and mistrust the left and the media no matter what. Why make it easier for them? The Sarah Jeong fiasco was bad enough. Now this. Why give them a reason to feel superior?

Twitter is a minefield. Doxxing going on all over the place. A writer for Vulture was just fired for an unfortunate tweet about the kids. It's going to be a crazy week. This is not our proudest moment as a Republic.
Last edited by tennbengal on Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

That last sentence is weird. It seems to go against what she argued all through, but I guess it's not her viewpoint its the viewpoin some are taking. Weird way to close, IMO, unless I am losing something in comprehension.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:19 am That last sentence is weird. It seems to go against what she argued all through, but I guess it's not her viewpoint its the viewpoin some are taking. Weird way to close, IMO, unless I am losing something in comprehension.
She wrote that line about the Tappers and others in the world that she embedded earlier in her piece ( I couldn't get the embeds to paste over).
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:18 am
There was also some nonsense on here about "naive kids, not knowing what those hats represent." That's some bullshit.
what?
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Joe K wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:45 pm

Just curious, are you counting the very act of wearing a MAGA hat as bad? Because besides that, the only unambiguously disrespectful behavior I saw from the teens in the videos I warched was the few that did the Tomahawk Chop. And I don’t think the kid in the photos was one of the ones doing that — at least not on video.

Bronto - Maybe I'm reading too much into this line of thinking, but, yes, wearing a MAGA hat is straight-up a bad, shitty, racist thing to do.

I'm tired of the false equivalencies and bullshit. Supporting Trump means you are supporting a racist.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:34 am

Bronto - Maybe I'm reading too much into this line of thinking, but, yes, wearing a MAGA hat is straight-up a bad, shitty, racist thing to do.

I'm tired of the false equivalencies and bullshit. Supporting Trump means you are supporting a racist.
Yes.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Bolding the phrase “besides that” for you because I think it clearly indicates that I was taking the view that the act of wearing a MAGA hat could be seen as “unambiguously disrespectful behavior.”
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Besides that” means “in addition to that”. You use it to refer to something after having mentioned it before, e.g. “She likes studying, but has other interests besides that.” where “that” refers to “studying”.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Joe - Like I said, maybe I was mis-reading it.

That said, someone who pays such close attention to word choice and phrasing... You can see how one could interpret your post as downplaying their overall racist/shitty mindsets, which provides insight into their actions that day, no?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

BTW, and frankly lastly on this from me for awhile...

Not for nothing, but this side debate about "this medium" is so fucking far from the point. For the most part, people come to discussions on here honestly and I'm going to take more care in how I address posts. This place isn't the problem.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

It boils down to this:

1)Cov Cath kids were being shitheads before the main thing started RE: the video the young lady posted and which is above in this thread
2) Black Israelites seemed to be doing their thing and generally stirring shit up which lead to the Cov Cath kids becoming further riled up
3) The native american DID WHAT WE SAY THE CHAPERONES SHOULD AHVE DONE AND TRIED TO SEPARATE THE TWO FACTIONS
4) Cov cath kid doubles down and THAT SMIRK IS THE THING
5) Cov cath chaperones did not do anything even at this point
6)People say the Native American incited it and so
7)Cov cath kids are justified in being dicks and "standing their ground"

Have I got it right? Did everyone fuck up a bit? Maybe. Some fucked up more than others. Maybe the Native AMericans overstepped in trying to police the matter, but again, by his own admission he did what most people are saying the COv Cath chaperones should have done. Would the story be different if it was SwampMeet 2019 and me, bronto, syb and a bunch of white guys got between them and said "Move along?" What's the narrative then?

I honestly don't know who all is on what side here!