The Covington Catholic video...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

The Covington Catholic video...

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Didn't see this in any other thread....so starting one here, because I gots some thoughts...

If you haven't heard, a bunch of entitled rich prick high school students from Kentucky were in DC for the 'pro-life' march, and mocked/harassed a Native American Elder (who also happens to be a Vietnam Vet).

Look at the look on that fuckers face. Where have I seen that look before?

And where in the hell where the adults?
Pruitt
The Dude

Re: The Covington Catholic video...

Post by Pruitt »

That video made me very uncomfortable.

It is scarily similar to images of Black students being shrieked at while walking to school, of Nazis mocking Orthodox Jews and of many other similar outrages from the past.

And this happened in front of the Lincoln Memorial. So sad. So very sad.

ETA:

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

My first reaction to this was nonpolitical -- thinking it's another case of teenagers being disrespectful assholes which is nothing new, but the MAGA movement sure is a perfect match for them.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Also, Jake Walter chose the wrong weekend to rape someone

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Pruitt wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:12 pm
It is scarily similar to images of Black students being shrieked at while walking to school, of Nazis mocking Orthodox Jews and of many other similar outrages from the past.
Exactly. It made think of the photos of young african-american kids sitting at lunch counters and getting drinks poured on their heads.

ETA: I'm not the only one..

Absolutely disgusting.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nothing to add, but pure anger for these pricks.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

It could certainly go in the Punchable Faces thread, but it deserves its own.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

From the Post:
A few people in the March for Life crowd began to chant “Build that wall, build that wall,” he said.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I weep for my state.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

A_B wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:10 pm I weep for my state.
To be fair, Covington is more Cincinnati than Kentucky.

ETA: When Bensell was alive, I visited him at the Cincinnati-area horse farm he and his brother worked at. While talking, he said he’d never been to a more openly racist area than Cincinnati. I found that rather eye opening since he grew up in Kentucky and went to school in Boston.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I can't wait for all the parents to come out and defend these fuckfaces...
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Yep.

Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I was actually stunned to find out how racist the Cincinnati area was. It was legit disconcerting. I have had many a good day on the city but it is definitely very divided and I don’t realize it wiuntil hindsight.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I remember first time I heard the n word, to the place and how old I was ( Eden Park overlook - 1977, I was six).It is truly the city of hate radio and Bill Cunningham and a whole other list of horribles. It has changed for the better in a lot of ways in the last 15 or so years through downtown and OTR, but the vein of pure racism is still all over that part of the state into northern Kentucky.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

White dudes with a face like that have a 100% chance of trying to rape your daughter and will eventually get into law school because of family connections.

Also, from Reuters:
A Catholic school in Kentucky condemned a group of its students, many of whom wore “Make America Great Again” hats, after they were recorded harassing a Native American Vietnam veteran in a video that went viral on Saturday.

The students from private, all-male Covington Catholic High School in northern Kentucky were in Washington for an anti-abortion rally on Friday when they were filmed surrounding Nathan Phillips and mocking the Native American’s singing and drumming.
The school is condoning hating women, but condemning hating Natives. And really only because there's video are they saying anything. What a crock of fucking bullshit. This place enables rich, white, entitled males to be pricks to everyone. What the fuck did they think would happen?
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

A_B wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:18 pm I was actually stunned to find out how racist the Cincinnati area was. It was legit disconcerting. I have had many a good day on the city but it is definitely very divided and I don’t realize it wiuntil hindsight.
Pre or.poat Marge.Schott awareness?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Another thought...I will guarantee that those MAGA hats were bought from street vendors in DC who are nearly all 1st generation immigrants with limited English proficiency. These are the same vendors selling FBI, cia, cheap Washington DC sweatshirt, and my favorite Obama dunking at the nba all star game with a cape.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A further thought ... half those assholes there for the rally (or their parents) will pay for atleast one future abortion because it’s different when it’s your kid.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I've always figured that 80% of the attendance at march for life trips were driven by kids simply wanting to skip school and go to DC
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

If you go onto twitter now, search "covington", then choose latest, you'll see a bunch of tweets showing that the racists are now putting out their revisionist history and trying to launch a narrative that the old man and his friends started it and the scumbag kids were just defending themselves. Facts don't matter to these guys. They just change the facts to suit themselves.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:20 pm I can't wait for all the parents to come out and defend these fuckfaces...
And here we go:

And now we have the 'MagaTeenTruthers', spewing nonsense about how Phillips was the instigator, and the kids were 'standing their ground'.

Orwell was too optimistic:
"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command... and if all others accepted the lie, which the party imposed, if all records told the same tale, then the lie passed into history and became truth"
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

mister d wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:23 am A further thought ... half those assholes there for the rally (or their parents) will pay for atleast one future abortion because it’s different when it’s your kid.
Wish the parents paid for more a few years ago
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Note that when there's immediate 'truthers' and conspiracy theorists for shit like this it's a movement propagated heavily by Russian trolls starting shit on 4chan.

The hashtags spread to Twitter and become mainstream. It's all a part of the mass confusion and distraction.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Yeah, it's the fucking hats. What about adults who wear these hats? Do they not get to be considered "poisoned" too?

It's the hateful rhetoric perpetuated by the establishment that allows "poisoning" to happen in the first place. Not fucking hats.

I bet this dude is best friends with Joe Lieberman.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Looks like Cincinnati.com has a full context video of what happened. It's over an hour and forty minutes long.

Dude on Reddit watched the entire thing:
Basic beats of the full video (Dear god this was painful to sit through.)

00-38: Small group of angry Black Israelites (I didn't even know that was a thing) spewing fundamentalist rubbish. A few get close enough to have heated argument. A quiet young native american man notably approaches, but I can hardly hear what he's said. This group is basically calling everyone under the sun a demon, a false worshiper yadda yadda. Boring, and nothing I haven't seen before from other fundamentalists.

38: This is where we start seeing Covington Students starting to become more apparent in the crowd. Now I've neglected to mention this, but the person recording the video appears to be sympathetic to the Black Israeli's sentiments. But he also then comments in particular about the first "Maga Kid" he sees as having the audacity to appear at a Native American rally. So the narrative viewpoint here is by someone who seems to have some pretty conflicting sentiments here, since he happily stood by while his acquaintance harasses nearby Native Americans.

The "Narrator" challenges the kid, claiming he's pompous. The kid does seem a bit amused by the whole situation. When challenged to remove his hoody and show his MAGA hat more fully, he complies. More racial slurs thrown about.

There's a small group of people with what looks like mostly women with red skicaps that challenges the head speaker of the Black Israeli, but because of the proximity, it's really hard to tell what some of them are saying, but they seem to not be keen on his preaching. There's another larger man who is siding with the ski-hat group.

Around 44:06 the head Isreali speaker starts on a ramble about how "So Called" Native Americans, Hispanics, and African Americans are "True Israelis" and the Jewish people of Israeli are "False Jews" or something to that effect. Ooookay, more insane rambling. A black man approaches the preacher and is starting a dialogue with another black man that doesn't seem to entirely agree.

At this point its starting to become clear that the people with red heads and blue sweat shits or some sort of red shirt alternatively are all the same group. I suppose they're all the Covington Students? I was under the impression convington was an all boy's school. Need to research that. But a more generally white, young crowd IS gravitating towards the Black Israeli protest group.

47:00 Around this time the mentioned white kids have dispersed more into the general broken crowd. A lot more racist rhetoric from the Black Israelites. Dear god, how does this man's voice not break in half?

49:55 Its hard to tell but I think the Black Israeli group has sensed it's losing it's audience and begin moving in closer to the MAGA kids. The Narrator at least is doing his best to be provocative. I have no love for the MAGA movement, but this is inexcusably looking for a fight at this point. The kids look amused or bemused depending.

Around 1:00 it's become noticable that the Black Israelites have an entire ring around them of people interested, and are galvanized further by the attention. Now to be fair, there is also someone on a hoverboard in close proximity, which just kind of makes the whole thing rather surreal and could also be helping draw the crowd. Some are angry, most are just...amused.

Around 1:08 the crowd starts chanting something back. If anyone wants to clarify it for me, that'd be nice.

1:10 some kid from the MAGA kid crowd darts down to the main pavillion to cheers and proceeds to strip off his upper clothes, to much cheering. I think they just gave a school team cheer?

1:12 the crowd is really starting to thicken to the right. At this point Nathan (The native american tribal leader) has come up from the right and put himself and small group of people between the Black Israelites and the MAGA kids. While this is happening some sort of chant/cheer is being lead here where the MAGA kids are getting more energized.

As the drumming continues, the MAGA kids start circling around him, but I can''t really tell if they're mocking him, or just really into the drumming mixed with the chanting. It kinda has the same absurd energy as a pep rally.

It 'could' be construde by 1:14 that they're doing some parody of Native American chanting. From the Narrator's view, the kids have entirely surrounded Nathan.

Shortly after this, Nathan is absent from the footage. A little more call out back and forth between the MAGA kids and the Black Israelis, and the a little further in here, the kids are called back to their bus I think, and aren't seen again for the remainder of the video.

So...My summary on this after some skimming to points of interest because goddamn that idiot is hard to listen to.

MAGA kids wearing the hat is unsavory, but that's an ideological issue that isn't really the basis of this news story. The Black Israeli guys are massive pricks. The kids got a bit riled up and showed possibly some basic white teenage stupidity.

Nathan stepped in, likely thinking that both sides were riling each other up too much so that's to be commended. Everything else is hearsay as far as what may or may not have been shouted at Nathan given how heated things are, and the incredably difficult to hear audio that focuses mostly on this preacher jackass.

I'm baffled by this. I hate to say this, but this does seem to reek a bit of media spin trying to pit three opposing sides against each other. I have enough reason to dislike anyone wearing a MAGA hat. I don't appreciate the idea of being manipulated further, especially at the cost of a kid who I haven't seen with my own eyes cross an unforgivable line yet.

I need to be a little more careful about these things now and research more into this. Media playing the left is trying to claim that the MAGA kids were the aggressors against Nathan. Media on the Right is trying to pit Nathan against the MAGA kids.

Only the independent public are taking note of the Black Israelites until later today as this video has begun to circulate.

This is a clusterfuck.
The last line sums it up.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

The Black Israelites have been around forever, and their schtick has been crazy as shit forever. I guess today's kids don't have public access TV so this would have been new to them.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

So the #MagaTeen's mom hired a PR firm who put out a bullshit press release. He says 'I was praying in Silence'. Yeah, right.

You know why he had that smirk on his face? Because he's an entitled rich white kid who knows he's going to get away with this kind of shit his whole life.

Makes me sick.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I'm sure that the school has no history of racial insensitivity in their past at all...

Wait...what's that?

Oh....never mind...
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:08 am

You know why he had that smirk on his face? Because he's an entitled rich white kid who knows he's going to get away with this kind of shit his whole life.

Makes me sick.
I really don't know how this wide sweeping assumption can be made after Johnnie posted the summation of the longer video and a link to another summation.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Brontoburglar wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:28 am

Makes me sick.
I really don't know how this wide sweeping assumption can be made after Johnnie posted the summation of the longer video and a link to another summation.
So are you buying his 'I was praying' explanation that was cooked up by the hired PR firm? Because I'm not...
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

That is the well known “prayer smirk” endemic to all persons praying.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:23 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:28 am

Makes me sick.
So are you buying his 'I was praying' explanation that was cooked up by the hired PR firm? Because I'm not...
of course not
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

There's plenty of room to admit that the original story - that these kids swarmed the existing Native American protest and chanted "build the wall" - wasn't correct while STILL thinking what the kids did actually do was wrong and they are a bunch of assholes. From what I've seen of the longer video and a couple of different summaries, the clear worst actors were the Black Israelites dudes. Also, the NA protestors DID walk up into the group of kids, possibly to try to separate them from the Black Israelites. But, then the kids did also dance and possibly mock the NAs (I think a lot of the kids were just excited and were dancing along to the drums - no way to know for sure what was in their minds) and that one asshole gets/stays in the old guy's face.
Totally Kafkaesque
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Regardless of who said or did what or who "started" it I think it is reasonable to question what the MAGA kids were doing in that spot at that time. It's either the kids or the chaperones that bear responsibility for this turning into a clusterfuck by putting themselves in that position.

It's also reasonable to question the MAGA hats as well...anyone wearing those is clearly doing it to agitate. I wonder what the public/media response would have been if the kid was wearing a Cincinnati Reds hat or something.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Shirley wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:57 pm There's plenty of room to admit that the original story - that these kids swarmed the existing Native American protest and chanted "build the wall" - wasn't correct while STILL thinking what the kids did actually do was wrong and they are a bunch of assholes. From what I've seen of the longer video and a couple of different summaries, the clear worst actors were the Black Israelites dudes. Also, the NA protestors DID walk up into the group of kids, possibly to try to separate them from the Black Israelites. But, then the kids did also dance and possibly mock the NAs (I think a lot of the kids were just excited and were dancing along to the drums - no way to know for sure what was in their minds) and that one asshole gets/stays in the old guy's face.
without a doubt. there's a lot of blame to go around in this and the kids rightfully deserve some of it (the failure of the adults on multiple fronts is really glaring here too)

---

but given the chaotic situation, it's very much a reach (to me) to say that kid acted like an asshole because he knows "he's going to get away with this kind of shit his whole life"

the systemic issues of white male entitlement within the context of the school are well worth having and indirectly come into play here. but the driving force for the kid's actions in the moment? probably not.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Black Israelites are crazyness on a whole new level of nuts. If you're not familiar with their public access greatest hits definitely check YouTube. Used to see those guys on the T sometimes but their natural habitat is North Philly.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:01 pm Black Israelites are crazyness on a whole new level of nuts. If you're not familiar with their public access greatest hits definitely check YouTube. Used to see those guys on the T sometimes but their natural habitat is North Philly.
These guys used to "preach" on the corner of 34th and 7th when I worked in Penn Plaza. They would wear cheap looking Renaissance fair outfits, screaming that the White Man is the devil, and single out the jewiest looking guy, and hurl antisemitic shit at them, while crowds would gather and block my damned route to my train. The first time I saw them, I was curious to hear what they had to say, but it quickly turned batshit crazy and obvious they were looking to get attacked. I read some articles that their MO is to incite violence, then sue for damages when someone attacks them. No idea if that is true, but based on what I've seen, I wouldn't be surprised, because they would get right in people's faces and scream really hateful shit.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Man, you guys sure do love to hate.

I don't think I had ever been more disgusted with the media (and social media) as I was this weekend. Just a willful misrepresentation of what happened. I was following the conversation online on Saturday and thought that I was losing my mind, not least of all because I had to wade thru the effing chans to get a fuller picture of what went down. That's never a good feeling.

Like, the right is going to hate and mistrust the left and the media no matter what. Why make it easier for them? The Sarah Jeong fiasco was bad enough. Now this. Why give them a reason to feel superior?

Twitter is a minefield. Doxxing going on all over the place. A writer for Vulture was just fired for an unfortunate tweet about the kids. It's going to be a crazy week. This is not our proudest moment as a Republic.