Super Bowl LIII--Patriots vs. Rams

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Rex
The Dude

Super Bowl LIII--Patriots vs. Rams

Post by Rex »

Think of it as a Web Redemption for everyone who rooted against the Martz Rams way back when.
Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Super Bowl LIII--Patriots vs. Rams

Post by Johnnie »

The logo for this year's Super Bowl is pretty cool:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

There was only one other time the same cities played each other in the World Series and the following Super Bowl. When was it?
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

New York and Baltimore, with the New York *ets beating an all-time great Baltimore team. 1969

ETA: sorry. That’s the same calendar year. Carry on.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

I think I fucked up the question...it's been a stressful night followed by some drinking. This is where I got it

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Right. This is the first time ever that the same cities met in the World Series then the Super Bowl directly afterward.

(Even though the Pats technically represent the region and play south of Boston, but whatever.)
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Already trying to decide what movie we're going to see that afternoon...
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Statistically the Rams run defense is horrible, but the few times I've watched them with Donald blowing up plays left and right, I'm not convinced this will be a weakness for them in the Super Bowl
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Calling it now that NFL Twitter will explode after a pivotal call/no-call when Suh lays a borderline hit on Brady. I’ve been a Goff skeptic all season but I think the Rams match up really well here. Having both Suh and Donald at DT makes a Justin Tuck Superbowl redux very possible here.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Joe K wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:47 am Calling it now that NFL Twitter will explode after a pivotal call/no-call when Suh lays a borderline hit on Brady. I’ve been a Goff skeptic all season but I think the Rams match up really well here. Having both Suh and Donald at DT makes a Justin Tuck Superbowl redux very possible here.
That's my concern (also the game Wade Phillips' Denver D beat up Brady). The one difference, I hope, is the Pats have a better run game than the teams in those losses.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Damn. Would've loved a throwback Super Bowl. I know the NFL has dumb rules these days, but the Pats along for an exemption would've been cool.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

EdRomero wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:51 am
Joe K wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:47 am Calling it now that NFL Twitter will explode after a pivotal call/no-call when Suh lays a borderline hit on Brady. I’ve been a Goff skeptic all season but I think the Rams match up really well here. Having both Suh and Donald at DT makes a Justin Tuck Superbowl redux very possible here.
That's my concern (also the game Wade Phillips' Denver D beat up Brady). The one difference, I hope, is the Pats have a better run game than the teams in those losses.
Id say maybe to running game maybe not but they will need to try and stick with it either way. Pats have gotten way better against that formula over the years but the personnel is really weak this year. They went to Cordarelle Patterson on massive plays in the final drive and that doesn't bode well at all. Power running with a screen/college/gadget mix vs the spread it out i think. Maybe gronk and Allen and Develin getting lots of snaps. If you run enough maybe you can limit the DL and have a couple of shots on play action. Try to win on d or special teams. Of course belichick and McDaniels will dial it up right. I'll enjoy this one regardless as the era has to end eventually. Park cars at the church across the street so Ive gotten to know some folks. Sometimes these big events end up being duds as far as crowds go at the actual events and I might even be able to watch.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

the over/under on a very important pregame event has gone from 105 to 107. gonna need swamp sources to corroborate why this is happening next week
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Factor in that the roof will almost certainly be closed. They haven't announced it (or officially decided it), but the temperature will be cold enough to keep it closed.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I just can't imagine that the roof will be open. It's been closed for all the SEC Championship and Peach Bowls so far. Even for United games the weather has had to be near perfect for them to open it.

I guess it will be a big talking point now though, with a cold weather team vs. a warm weather team.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Rex wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:28 am I just can't imagine that the roof will be open. It's been closed for all the SEC Championship and Peach Bowls so far. Even for United games the weather has had to be near perfect for them to open it.

I guess it will be a big talking point now though, with a cold weather team vs. a warm weather team.
my favorite thing about that stadium is that they got so fancy with the roof that it's now leaky and not functional
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Opinions are like Atlanta stadium roofs, I always say
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:58 am
Rex wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:28 am I just can't imagine that the roof will be open. It's been closed for all the SEC Championship and Peach Bowls so far. Even for United games the weather has had to be near perfect for them to open it.

my favorite thing about that stadium is that they got so fancy with the roof that it's now leaky and not functional
I don't think that's the case. I haven't heard much locally in terms of complaints for 6 months or so.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I don't think there have been any leak complaints since the construction was finished this summer. If it could hold up to the rain during MLS Cup, I think it will be okay.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Rex wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:51 pm I don't think there have been any leak complaints since the construction was finished this summer. If it could hold up to the rain during MLS Cup, I think it will be okay.
ah! so, it used to leak then. someone was trying to explain to me in January that it was differences in the types of steel that was expected and required that didn't make it fit properly and created the leaks.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I have heard 55 degrees is the cut-off. Forecast currently has it not even reaching 50 for a high and kickoff will come after sunset.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

This just struck me funny because I think Brady was probably talking about the actual Transformer
“Look at his stature. He wasn’t built like Megatron (Calvin Johnson). He’s just built the way he was built and I think he’s just worked so hard over the years to learn how to play receiver,” Brady said. “He’s just done an incredible job.”
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Just found a friend who wanted to bet the Rams.

I think 2.5 points is a gift.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I bet that night when it somehow opened Rams -1 and I offered straight up.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'll get the prediction in now, I guess. As always, I don't have a good feeling about anything.

Rams 24, Pats 20. Torch passed from Belichick to McVay, yadda yadda...Ick.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I think the young guy gets a lesson from the master. Both at coach and QB. NE 28-20.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Patriots 63, Rams 0. Brady is very happy because he is a great QB and a great guy and his friend President Donald Trump is also very happy.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I think the universe wants Brady to have the record for most Super Bowl wins and most Super Bowl losses.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I'm thinking in the neighbourhood of 31-13 Pats.

But my picks have been dismal these playoffs...
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

rams by 90
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

Rams 37-34 on a 48yd Zuerlein FG with no time left

"Avenge Feb 3"
"Close the circle"
"Rams always win SB in Atlanta"
"9 lives are up"

(I would have used hashtags but wanted to make sure Jerloma could read post)
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

31 -26 new england. brady goes 24-43 for 321 yards 1 td 2 int and a rushing td. gostkowski shanks a p.a.t.

brqdy gets ring 6. goodell sulks on stage.

these are my grand prediction.....ive missed one game all p,ayoffs, and it involved the houston texans so im feelimg pretty confident
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

mister d wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:08 pm Patriots 63, Rams 0. Brady is very happy because he is a great QB and a great guy and his friend President Donald Trump is also very happy.
President Trump applauded Tom Brady, Bill Belichick and Patriots owner Bob Kraft in an interview on Wednesday night ahead of the team’s appearance in the Super Bowl this weekend.

“It’s talent, it’s chemistry — they have a great chemistry with each other,” Trump told The Daily Caller.

“Belichick is so tough and Kraft is a great guy,” Trump added. “How good was Brady, I mean, the last game? Not the last game, the last two games. Brady plays better under pressure than he does in a regular game. I mean, that last two minutes, the way he was throwing the ball down the field — they were bullets.”

Trump has had a long friendship with Brady, Kraft and Belichick. He tweeted praise for the trio after the Patriots advanced to the Super Bowl for the third consecutive year on Jan. 20.

“Congratulations to Bob Kraft, Bill Belichick, Tom Brady and the entire New England Patriots team on a great game and season. Will be a fantastic Super Bowl!” he wrote.

Trump acknowledged his close ties with the team during his interview with the Caller.

I mean, I like all three of them, as you know, I’m a very good friend with them. Coach Belichick endorsed me, you remember that?” he said.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:10 pm

I have heard 55 degrees is the cut-off. Forecast currently has it not even reaching 50 for a high and kickoff will come after sunset.
For the first time all week, the forecast is warm enough and not for rain. Is there still time? Could be quite a comeback.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This is funny. Apparently Bleacher Report does this every season.

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

The only good thing about the NY Post is its perpetual mockery of the Patriots. Here’s the latest work.
He is the patron saint of sports teams and figures that no one gives a chance. Eruzione is the one that made us believe in miracles.

So, who better to call about these scrappy Patriots, who have ridden your doubts and disbelief all the way to Super Bowl LIII on Sunday against the Rams?

I called Eruzione and asked him: Do these upstart Patriots remind him of the 1980 hockey team that pulled off the “Miracle on Ice?”

“Uhhhhhhh … I love the Patriots. I love Tom Brady. I love Bill Belichick. But there’s no comparison,” Eruzione said. “They’re a three-point favorite. We were a five-goal underdog. In football, that would have been like a 30-point underdog.”

OK. Eruzione does not see it.

I asked Eruzione if he will welcome the Patriots to the pantheon of great sports upsets should they find a way to win.

“I don’t think they’re an underdog,” Eruzione said.

Shhh. No one tell Brady.