SAF Retiring

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

BTTG
Jackie Treehorn

SAF Retiring

Post by BTTG »

Well it had to happen at some point - a bit surprised he did it without making another effort at a third European Cup, but a much deserved and fitting way to go out, as a champion. Makes every other teams life a bit easier, I can't imagine United having half their success without Fergie's involvement. Roll on the nauseating tributes.

Who now? Surely not Mourinho with the Chelsea job open. Klopp?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Re: SAF Retiring

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Bookmakers like moyes from everton but the special one is apparently also a leading bet.

Aren't there some former man u players who have moves up the coaching ranks revently. Name escapes me but I know one of the classic red devils had taken over a man u gouth/reserve team and then onto a club from his home country and was doing well.

Since Man U is on the NYSE the information on leaderahip changes of thus will have to be shared in accordance to their rules.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Wlu, you're probably thinking of Ole Gunnar Skolsjaer.

I read the Moyes betting line moved from 15/8 to 11/10 very recently, so a lot of money is being bet on Moyes.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I'd love to see the Special One or Moyes on the job, but I will wager it isn't either of them.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
BTTG
Jackie Treehorn

Post by BTTG »

God, I hope it's Moyes. The United job is about more than tactics and getting value out of the transfer market (for every Cantona there's a Kleberson), it's as much about dealing with the money, massive egos and general idiocy ever-present in the modern footballer. Ferguson was a genius at this, and he managed to build a wildly successful team year after year, usually while rotating a squad and still playing some amazing football. I'm not sure Moyes (or too many others) would be up to it on any of those counts. Mourinho possibly, but is he a long-term solution? I'm not so sure based on his past experience, especially when faced with the slightest hint of adversity - and because of the rumours that Bobby Charlton hates him. Ole Solksjaer is a good shout, as is Gary Neville as a dark horse candidate.

Betfair had United as slight favourites over City next year, that has flipped around in the wake of this.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Sabo wrote:Wlu, you're probably thinking of Ole Gunnar Skolsjaer.
Yes that is exactly who I was thinking of this morning.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

You can't replace SAF. Square Rob texted me yesterday and made a good point about explaining it to people around him in Alabama: It's like Bear Bryant, only with twice the success. (Which I guess makes UK Aberdeen?)

I don't think Moyes is the answer. I would think Mourinho might be a long-term solution if he wants to be and can not butt heads too much. Man U needs a big personality, Mourinho is that.

Bob mentioned the dortmund manager. I have a hard time thinking the english fans of man u would like a german manager.

Fuck it. Give it to Giggsy.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

See, I really like the Moyes possibility. Look what he's done with those squads at Everton. They've never had the depth that a lot of top half teams have, and year after year they're there.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Brontoburglar wrote:See, I really like the Moyes possibility. Look what he's done with those squads at Everton. They've never had the depth that a lot of top half teams have, and year after year they're there.
He's never had to deal with being the biggest game in town, either, though. He's a solid manager, no doubt. That doesn't make him qualified to be the Man U guy. I'll put it this way: would Moyes have won the league this year with Man U? I doubt it very seriously.

Here's the thing: the glory days are probably done. My guess is that Man U will still compete for titles, win the league every so often, but it won't be an every other year kind of thing like it has been.
BuffloSoldier
Maude Lebowski

Post by BuffloSoldier »

Might be a bit melodramatic, but it's been a rough morning.

A brave new world, indeed.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

BuffloSoldier wrote:Might be a bit melodramatic, but it's been a rough morning.

A brave new world, indeed.
It was a bit of a sucker punch when Bob texted me last night. He said "I think he's really retiring this time" and while I figured I knew who he was talking about (because 95% of our texts concern man u) I didn't want it to be the case.
BuffloSoldier
Maude Lebowski

Post by BuffloSoldier »

I think, if it is him, that Moyes could do the job. It's going to be tough to win the room over, learn on a greater scale how to juggle Europe and the Premier League, etc, etc.

But I think he could do it.

Mourinho just won't happen because even though the Glazers will spend, they won't spend enough for him transfer wise.
testy boxcar
Maude Lebowski

Post by testy boxcar »

I think pardew would be a great hire.

please.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BuffloSoldier wrote:I think, if it is him, that Moyes could do the job. It's going to be tough to win the room over, learn on a greater scale how to juggle Europe and the Premier League, etc, etc.

But I think he could do it.

Mourinho just won't happen because even though the Glazers will spend, they won't spend enough for him transfer wise.
I'd be happy for Moyes, but sad to see Everton lose yet another valuable piece to a bigger club. Moyes is such a great guy, and a great coach. Too bad ITV cut off Mourinho as he was making an announcement...
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Does Moyes change the Man U transfer dynamic this summer? The rumour mill (see that British spelling) is pointing towards Christiano coming back to Manchester and Rooney leaving. I would assume Christiano was coming cause SAF and would be less excited playing for Moyes. Package deal with the Special One?
BuffloSoldier
Maude Lebowski

Post by BuffloSoldier »

wlu_lax6 wrote:Does Moyes change the Man U transfer dynamic this summer? The rumour mill (see that British spelling) is pointing towards Christiano coming back to Manchester and Rooney leaving. I would assume Christiano was coming cause SAF and would be less excited playing for Moyes. Package deal with the Special One?
For a variance of reasons, CR isn't going to OT, and that was even before Fergie was leaving. Club elections, his release fee, other stuff.

But, yes, it will. I'll be very interested to see what United does. Even more fun will be seeing who's at the wheel, or a combination of guys--Moyes, Fergie, the new club president that is replacing Gill, the Glazers, etc.

Moyes now official, six year deal.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BuffloSoldier wrote:
wlu_lax6 wrote:Does Moyes change the Man U transfer dynamic this summer? The rumour mill (see that British spelling) is pointing towards Christiano coming back to Manchester and Rooney leaving. I would assume Christiano was coming cause SAF and would be less excited playing for Moyes. Package deal with the Special One?
For a variance of reasons, CR isn't going to OT, and that was even before Fergie was leaving. Club elections, his release fee, other stuff.

But, yes, it will. I'll be very interested to see what United does. Even more fun will be seeing who's at the wheel, or a combination of guys--Moyes, Fergie, the new club president that is replacing Gill, the Glazers, etc.

Moyes now official, six year deal.

Wow, good for Moyes. No surprise after he quit Everton this morning.
-Pruitt
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

Disappointed that Moyes is taking the ManUre job, but can't blame him at all. Any word on who is being mentioned to replace him at Goodison Park?
Worldwide Frivologist and International Juke Artist
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Bensell wrote:Disappointed that Moyes is taking the ManUre job, but can't blame him at all. Any word on who is being mentioned to replace him at Goodison Park?
Why would that make the news?
-Pruitt
BuffloSoldier
Maude Lebowski

Post by BuffloSoldier »

Bensell wrote:Disappointed that Moyes is taking the ManUre job, but can't blame him at all. Any word on who is being mentioned to replace him at Goodison Park?
Lots of names, but all speculation. Everyone from Martinez to Lennon to O'Neill to Phil Neville.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Kind of surprised Giggs extended in March if SAF was retiring. (Which I bet he had an idea was happening)
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So I did not know Moyes sued Rooney before.
http://www.businessinsider.com/david-mo ... ney-2013-5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;