Poll: Do you stand for the Anthem when not at event?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Do you stand for the National Anthem when not at an event?

Yes- Always stand you unpatriotic fuck
6%
No- It's a Right granted by Freedom of Speech
94%
Maybe- You're an unpatriotic fuck but that's your Right
No votes

Total votes: 17

Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Poll: Do you stand for the Anthem when not at event?

Post by Rams Fanny »

I was at the Plaza LV SB watch party yesterday with about 1200 other people. When Jim Nantz proclaimed "it's time to honor America", seemingly 1200 people dutifully stood. I did not. Not out of protest or being unAmerican, I don't stand when I watch TV at my house and didn't see the reason to stand when watching TV with hundreds of others. I sat politely taking not a sip of beer or be on my phone and even cheered when the anthem was done. The woman next to me took the time to express her displeasure with me. As she and her husband left, he made sure to point at me and angrily tell me that 'he fought for this country so I could stand for the Anthem'. I did not engage him in any way but, had I not been 10 Bud Lights in, would have pointed out that actually he was fighting for my Right not to stand. Would it have killed me to stand? No. While not a die-hard contrarian, I'm also not real big on doing things for the sole reason that everyone else does something. I also want to make clear when I am at an event where the Anthem is played, I dutifully stand.

What say you Swamp? I'm anxious to see the reaction given the widespread support here for CK (qb, not Louis).
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Poll: Do you stand for the Anthem when not at event?

Post by A_B »

I vote no, but not on free speech grounds, on "I'm not there" grounds.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Maybe they stood because it was a big crowd? I've never ever seen anybody stand for the anthem when watching it on tv, not at the event.

When I am at games, I stand and take off my cap, but don't put my hand over my heart and don't put down my beer.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Rams Fanny wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:41 pm I was at the Plaza LV SB watch party yesterday with about 1200 other people. When Jim Nantz proclaimed "it's time to honor America", seemingly 1200 people dutifully stood. I did not. Not out of protest or being unAmerican, I don't stand when I watch TV at my house and didn't see the reason to stand when watching TV with hundreds of others. I sat politely taking not a sip of beer or be on my phone and even cheered when the anthem was done. The woman next to me took the time to express her displeasure with me. As she and her husband left, he made sure to point at me and angrily tell me that 'he fought for this country so I could stand for the Anthem'. I did not engage him in any way but, had I not been 10 Bud Lights in, would have pointed out that actually he was fighting for my Right not to stand. Would it have killed me to stand? No. While not a die-hard contrarian, I'm also not real big on doing things for the sole reason that everyone else does something. I also want to make clear when I am at an event where the Anthem is played, I dutifully stand.

What say you Swamp? I'm anxious to see the reaction given the widespread support here for CK (qb, not Louis).
They are probably just posturing. There's no way they stand in a group of like, 10, I'd bet.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah, no one stands at home. Hell, I don't know if I've ever seen anyone stand in a bar when watching a game though I suspect if everyone stood I would as well (as I did yesterday).

I agree with the philosophy that it's stupid to stand in that scenario but I don't mind standing for a minute.

(NB: You should have told her that you have some super arthritis or something that makes it difficult to stand and that you contracted it during Desert Storm or some bullshit like that just to blow her mind where the monkeys in her brain turning the "support the troops!" cranks.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:50 pm I vote no, but not on free speech grounds, on "I'm not there" grounds.
With this guy, on my couch.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

LOL at the thought of standing for the national anthem while watching the game on TV. Just....LOL.
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:32 pm LOL at the thought of standing for the national anthem while watching the game on TV. Just....LOL.
Seriously.

In fact, if I was with someone who did, I would laugh at them.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

That's a weird setting, though. I'd probably stand if 1000+ other people did it. I'm trying to remember if we stood for the Stanley Cup viewing on H Street... Don't think so, but also not sure the broadcast even played it.

I'll tell you where I've started to show a little protest is when they do that bullshit "support the troops" and everyone gets up and claps for some fucking Air Force dude that was stationed in Hamburg or some such nonsense. I'm just over that whole display, as we've discussed on here a bunch. Makes me angry, but I don't get into it or make a big deal. The last bunch of times I've been at Caps games it was in a suite, so I just walked back to the fridge and grabbed a beer or picked up some grub.

I think if I didn't have that option I'd probably stand, but not clap. It's no offense intended to the "troops," so I don't want to be a total asshole.
Last edited by Nonlinear FC on Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I’ve never even thought about doing something like that. I don’t have an opinion because it never entered my mind that someone would do that. But as far as a viewing party is concerned, I could see people doing that as sort of pretending you’re at the game.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:14 pm That's a weird setting, though. I'd probably stand if 1000+ other people did it. I'm trying to remember if we stood for the Stanley Cup viewing on H Street... Don't think so, but also not sure the broadcast even played it.

I'll tell you where I've started to show a little protest is when they do that bullshit "support the troops" and everyone gets up and claps for some fucking Air Force dude that was stationed in Hamburg or some such nonsense. I'm just over that whole display, as we've discussed on here a bunch. Makes me angry, but I don't get into it or make a big deal. The last bunch of times I've been at Caps games it was in a suite, so I just walked back to the fridge and grabbed a beer or picked up some grub.

I think if I didn't have that option I'd probably stand, but not clap. It's offense to the "troops," so I don't want to be a total asshole.
I'll clap but not stand for that. Maybe if the guy was a legit hero and saved a bunch of people or something, but you don't get a standing ovation for doing your fucking job.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:14 pm That's a weird setting, though. I'd probably stand if 1000+ other people did it. I'm trying to remember if we stood for the Stanley Cup viewing on H Street... Don't think so, but also not sure the broadcast even played it.

I think if I didn't have that option I'd probably stand, but not clap. It's offense to the "troops," so I don't want to be a total asshole.
They do that shit at Leafs games too. Like here's Capt. Patrice Laroche from CFB Borden. He helps with the volunteer fire department and there's a standing ovation.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

When not at an event? Absofuckinglutely not. GTFOH with that horseshit. When I saw Gladys last night I walked to the other room, in fact. I walked back about a minute or so later as she was finishing and the Thunderbirds flew overhead.

As part of my service I'm inundated with the propagandist bullshit. I have to salute in uniform. I have to salute the flag when reveille or the national anthem plays on base. If driving, I have to stop. (The Army stops their car and gets out and salutes.) I'm trying to be in a building before 0700 and off base well before 1700.

I'm fucking over it. There's a possibility, though slight to nonexistent according to everyone, that I cannot reenlist or extend when my contract is up next February because of the nonsense and fallout I dealt with while deployed. I'm saved by the "Sanctuary Rule" (Title 10 USC 1176(a)) with regards to being involuntarily separated between 18-20 years, but I'm still paranoid.

It now warms my heart when people protest during the anthem. It's all a sham to me. I don't ever need to take time out of my day to "pay respect." The flag doesn't salute me back. And seriously fuck any God awful Vet-bro victim telling you otherwise.

I cannot wait to stay seated at a sporting event when all this bullshit is over.
Last edited by Johnnie on Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:07 pm I cannot wait to stay seated at a sporting event when all this bullshit is over.
Guess you cant do it in any type of uniform?

That'd be amazing to see the reactions of the people around you.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:17 pm
Johnnie wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:07 pm I cannot wait to stay seated at a sporting event when all this bullshit is over.
Guess you cant do it in any type of uniform?

That'd be amazing to see the reactions of the people around you.
I hate being in uniform in public. And I'd only ever be in uniform in a place like a stadium if there was some military thing going on.

I'd be a civilian, retired military, in any event where I'm ignoring that shit. Though I'd probably wear my OCP ballcap just to be cool and extra spitey.

Edit:

I just realized I didn't answer your question. Sorry about that. When I'm in uniform I have to be an emotionless, non-sentient, milquetoast robot. Like Zuckerberg but spouting Air Force platitudes and exuding Air Force values. I can't really have a personality because I know my personality would be looked at as unprofessional. Just gray and neutral and not political, yet if bad guys are around I need to be able to flip a switch to become a murderer without thinking. None of it makes sense.
Last edited by Johnnie on Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Why the fuck would anyone stand at a viewing party. That is just some self righteous fuckwads right there. It is a good thing I wasn't there, ten beers in. I would have told that lady a thing or two. Ot wouldn't have been coherent, but it would have been fun.

And any one that does stand while watching the national anthem on tv will always remind me of Rose, when she stood and put her hand over her heart when ther tv station was signing off for the night on Golden Girls.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:32 pm LOL at the thought of listening to the national anthem while watching the game in person. Just....LOL.
FIFY
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

duff wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:40 pm Why the fuck would anyone stand at a viewing party. That is just some self righteous fuckwads right there. It is a good thing I wasn't there, ten beers in. I would have told that lady a thing or two. Ot wouldn't have been coherent, but it would have been fun.

And any one that does stand while watching the national anthem on tv will always remind me of Rose, when she stood and put her hand over her heart when ther tv station was signing off for the night on Golden Girls.
Man, 10 in and I wouldn't have thought to engage them but they second she started in I would have fired back. I can't stand this fake patriotism bullshit.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This fucking guy.

Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Yeah, there was a couple at the house I was at that was bashing Kaepernick and then was disgusted that Jon Lewis was on the field because politicians don't belong there, not even realizing he was there for the MLK thing.

When the anthem came on, not only did they not stand up, they talked through the whole thing.

Me: "So what I don't get is if this is about patriotism and respect, we just completely ignored the anthem. Are we being unpatriotic and disrespectful."

Guy: "I don't think it's about patriotism and respect, it's about honoring our troops."

Me: "Well did you just dishonor our troops then?"

Guy: "Come on, that's different."
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I guess I'm the outlier. I stand for the anthem when I'm watching the game on tv.* And if my kids are around, I tell them to stand as well. I don't sing along or do my hand on my heart, but the way I look at it, hundreds of thousands of American sons were shot, burned, or blown to smithereens fighting for this country's ideals, many times under perverted reasons from its leadership. The very least I could do is stand up and be silent for 90 seconds.

Having said that, I don't have any issue if people don't stand up. Just shut the fuck up and stay off your phone, though.

* Just as a side-note, I used to commonly will stand up watching the Eagles and only sit during commercials, although I spent most of last year's NFCCG and the Super Bowl on the couch.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

It's always different for those types of people. They are never wrong. And their point of view is always right.

(And, maybe not with this issue but others, when these types get called on their bullshit, they were just joking! Stop being so triggered snowflake! Can't you take a joke?

Like, you just spoke some awful shit into existence with the intent to get a reaction. And then you take the pussy way out by saying it was a joke? GFY.)
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

They do the Pledge of Allegiance at my daughter's gymnastics meets. Which to me is really bizarre. I ignore it.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:45 am They do the Pledge of Allegiance at my daughter's gymnastics meets. Which to me is really bizarre. I ignore it.
They play the national anthem before movies at the base movie theater. I'm in the bathroom if it all possible at that time if I'm to be watching a movie on base.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The guy saluting his TV that is going to show him 4 hours of sports and commercials is kind of a sad commentary.

I mean, he's not watching American history or a parade of soldiers or a dead Senator's cortege...