OldManSports

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

BSF21
The Dude

OldManSports

Post by BSF21 »

Can't think of a thread we have for this, but could be twofold here.

1) Any of you other cats keep up with social sports or anything of the like? I know GPJ still plays Softball and Dodgeball(maybe?). I picked up hockey last year and moved up a league starting next weekend. Which brings me to my second point and gripe...

2) I play pickup basketball at a local business (they have a gym in the basement). It's very oldmansports, all of us are 30+, with most being in their late 30s through their 50s. It's typically 4 on 4 to 11 by 1 and 2 pointers and you play a couple and take a breather, good cardio right? So most of us are in shape but not athletes, couple played in HS, but most of us are just looking to get out of the house for a couple hours and get a workout in, which brings me to my question:

One of the guys last night brings a buddy along. This happens all the time, I pulled in my sister's fiance for numbers a few weeks ago. However this guy was a 5 year D1 athlete at St. Bonaventure and Butler University. Guy is nice as can be, but just runs the joint for 2 hours. He's hitting from 28 feet at 50% all night, throwing no looks and behind the backs, can't turn it off. Am I the asshole for thinking this sucks for the rest of us? I'm no good at all, but I can hold my own at our usual game. This shit was a waste of time and I left really bummed out.

/vent
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: OldManSports

Post by A_B »

I think he's just getting his run in too. YEah, at some point should probably be a willing and active passer over shooter, but oh well?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I get your frustration. That dude should really find a group better suited for his skill set. I used to play a morning "futsal" (not really futsal, but we played indoors on a basketball court with a futsal ball, and no goalies) and the only rule was "don't be a dick". Luckily the leader of this group was established enough that he probably could've persuaded Pele to find another game somewhere if it was super one sided. That being said, there were definitely skill tiers, and we generally did a decent job of splitting up the higher end talent.

Or you could do what I do and do (individual athletics) and compete against yourself.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So I have picked up my OldManSports over the last year. Last summer I played Grand Masters lacrosse with a team of Refs. We just complained/yelled at the refs/etc. Lax was low quality but I was on the younger end and felt like an All American (except when I had to cover the former UNC all american).

More recently I have been playing lots of soccer. Pickup with the coaches in our club and a company team in the local outdoor and indoor leagues. The leagues ave 18+ because we have some recent college/law school grads who want to play with us, but most of us our 40+.

The pickup falls closer to the experiences above, wide variety of skill. Ex-MLS/d1 players to a 60+ dude with a nice touch but struggles moving and a former LSU track star who is just learning the game. Outdoor soccer is a bit different as the sheer number of players just brings the game to a certain equilibrium. Also the guy who organizes the game does a good job of setting up teams to ensure a fun game (except when the high school/current college kids show up and just dominate the game).
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:08 am Can't think of a thread we have for this, but could be twofold here.

1) Any of you other cats keep up with social sports or anything of the like? I know GPJ still plays Softball and Dodgeball(maybe?). I picked up hockey last year and moved up a league starting next weekend. Which brings me to my second point and gripe...

2) I play pickup basketball at a local business (they have a gym in the basement). It's very oldmansports, all of us are 30+, with most being in their late 30s through their 50s. It's typically 4 on 4 to 11 by 1 and 2 pointers and you play a couple and take a breather, good cardio right? So most of us are in shape but not athletes, couple played in HS, but most of us are just looking to get out of the house for a couple hours and get a workout in, which brings me to my question:

One of the guys last night brings a buddy along. This happens all the time, I pulled in my sister's fiance for numbers a few weeks ago. However this guy was a 5 year D1 athlete at St. Bonaventure and Butler University. Guy is nice as can be, but just runs the joint for 2 hours. He's hitting from 28 feet at 50% all night, throwing no looks and behind the backs, can't turn it off. Am I the asshole for thinking this sucks for the rest of us? I'm no good at all, but I can hold my own at our usual game. This shit was a waste of time and I left really bummed out.

/vent
I mean if it ruins it for everybody then you aren't an asshole - the point is to enjoy yourself. But he must have been really good to just ruin the whole thing.

One of my softball teams is straight garbage and it often makes it miserable for me, though I keep playing because I like to hit dingers more than just about anything else in life. I actually enjoy when a flag football opponent has one of those types of guys, but you can't take over a football game like you can a basketball game. I ruin the beginning of every turkey bowl by being significantly faster than the 30 something Naples nerds that I play with here, but they just end up putting a safety over the top or I just get tired after like 3 or 4 series.

I can never play dodgeball unfortunately because I can't throw anymore. Which sucks because dodgeball was the best.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I also play old nerd volleyball on Tuesday but I can't jump high enough or consistently enough to ruin that by spiking on them, since I am now an OldSportsMan myself.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

To piggyback, I also have oldmanpulledhamstring from that debacle last night

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Loved adult dodgeball and also can't play ever again because of my fucking shoulder.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I think the proper old man move against a guy like that is to foul. Hard and often. He'll get the hint.

Since I stopped going into my office, I joined a tennis program the Town rec department runs. 9:00 am on weekdays, so I figured it would be mostly women, but the first day I show up, the instructor starts screaming, "oh my god, it's a MAN!" I'm the only man who has signed up in 9 years. I've never played tennis other than hitting around with friends, and my only lessons were a class when I was 7 or 8, so I fit in. I definitely hold back, but a bunch of the women played on college teams, and several are super competitive. Last summer, I joined a Rec league, and they threw me in the most advanced level. First guy I play shows up with 4 rackets, and is built like John Cena. He just graduated college, played D 1. Going from 40 year old women serving to this guy was a fucking shock. Next I played the #1 on our High School Team, who won the Sectional Championship. He looks like a Opie, but goofier, and weighs about 110 pounds. This kid's control was fucking unreal. He just fucking toyed with me, but damned if that wasn't the best workout ever. Thinking about joining an indoor club to keep it going. It's a ton of fun, just wish I started younger.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I guess there are different definitions of old man sports. My shoulders and knees are fucked up, and all I do is walk, hike and work out at the gym. That's what most of you young punks have to look forward to.

And, by the way, get off my fucking lawn!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I play in a 40+ basketball league.

Started on a team of Free Agents that we had a guy that thought he was a former D1 athlete and was the worst kind of gunner, he hit maybe a 15-20% of his long range shots (maybe not that high) and would get super pissed at himself for missing and then stand and mutter while the other team was going the other way.

Thankfully this FA team morphed into a team without this dude, but there are a few teams in the league that are more into the pound the other team into the ground rather than have fun, get your run in. There's also a few "give a kidney shot" and ""step on your foot" in the block guys too.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

There's a "slow break" league some friends and i are considering. basically you can't pass it across half court is the main thing.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I get the sending a message but I had 2 problems there, 1) he could have whipped me with one arm tied behind his back and 2) he was just as nice as could be and humble and everything else. Just a straight out nice guy who was an exceptional player.

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:34 pm I get the sending a message but I had 2 problems there, 1) he could have whipped me with one arm tied behind his back and 2) he was just as nice as could be and humble and everything else. Just a straight out nice guy who was an exceptional player.
I was just joking.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I understand the venting about that guy. When I've played in a game with someone clearly head-and-shoulders(-and-probably-more) above the group, I've found the acceptable level for that guy to be "just coast with the occasional reminder". Otherwise, I don't see anything to be gained from it for him. I mean, exercise and stuff, but whatever. To me, it makes more sense to coast in order to limit injury risk and work on deficiencies in your game as opposed to trying to clown everyone in a scenario like that.

Of course, it adds a little bit of extra fun when you play a 3-on-3 half court game to 17 by 2's and 3's with a current D-I player and one of his opponents scores every point in an 17-0 game.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:08 pm
BSF21 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:34 pm I get the sending a message but I had 2 problems there, 1) he could have whipped me with one arm tied behind his back and 2) he was just as nice as could be and humble and everything else. Just a straight out nice guy who was an exceptional player.
I was just joking.
I know but I've had the same reaction from others. I think it comes back to hockey and if someone is taking liberties it's really not all that uncommon to put someone in their place. Different worlds.

To think more positively about it, he was the model of what you ought to be there, outside of ratcheting it down about 4 notches on the skill level.

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:56 pm I think the proper old man move against a guy like that is to foul. Hard and often. He'll get the hint.

Since I stopped going into my office, I joined a tennis program the Town rec department runs. 9:00 am on weekdays, so I figured it would be mostly women, but the first day I show up, the instructor starts screaming, "oh my god, it's a MAN!" I'm the only man who has signed up in 9 years. I've never played tennis other than hitting around with friends, and my only lessons were a class when I was 7 or 8, so I fit in. I definitely hold back, but a bunch of the women played on college teams, and several are super competitive. Last summer, I joined a Rec league, and they threw me in the most advanced level. First guy I play shows up with 4 rackets, and is built like John Cena. He just graduated college, played D 1. Going from 40 year old women serving to this guy was a fucking shock. Next I played the #1 on our High School Team, who won the Sectional Championship. He looks like a Opie, but goofier, and weighs about 110 pounds. This kid's control was fucking unreal. He just fucking toyed with me, but damned if that wasn't the best workout ever. Thinking about joining an indoor club to keep it going. It's a ton of fun, just wish I started younger.
This just reminded me of my grandfather. He was a gym teacher/administrator/camp counselor/soccer ref/track official/high school coach/etc in Baltimore City schools (Mervo). WWII was the greatest time his life because he was in Europe diving with the Army and organizing recreation for soldiers who were not on the front lines (also think he was the man with the condoms). He was a clinician in any sport. Could not hit a golf ball far but had perfect form, could knock down basketball shots for days on end, and juggle soccer balls, or beat you in a racket sport without taking more than 3 steps in any direction. I have his collection of medals and trophies from the Florida state track and field games (yup over 70 and over 80 high jump winner)

Anyway he played Tennis his entire life. Retired to an community in Boynton Beach that had an inter-development tennis league (which he became captain of...everyone down there called him "coach"). Some of the greatest stories ever about old competitive jewish guys playing tennis and 3 wall racquetball. My favorite was when he went off on one of the "young guys" for going to his grand kids graduation instead of playing in a critical league match. I mean he went on talking about commitment to others and team and letting the development down.....awesome.

This was also the same grandfather who after my mine started playing tennis in her late 40s said, "If I knew she was this athletic and good I would have spent more time with her growing up"
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:15 pm
The Sybian wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:56 pm
This was also the same grandfather who after my mine started playing tennis in her late 40s said, "If I knew she was this athletic and good I would have spent more time with her growing up"
Hilarious, fading into kind of sad... He sounds like he would have been a ton of fun to hang around.

I was talking to my 91 year old uncle last week, and he was telling stories about his days in the Navy. He was an MP for a while, so he also handed out condoms as the boys left the ship for shore leave. My mother was born while my uncle was out at sea. My grandmother wrote him letters every week, and kept referencing her "condition" when referring to being pregnant. My uncle had no clue what she meant, and thought she had some sort of disease or disability, until my grandfather sent him a letter saying he had a sister.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:15 pm
The Sybian wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:56 pm
Hilarious, fading into kind of sad... He sounds like he would have been a ton of fun to hang around.

I was talking to my 91 year old uncle last week, and he was telling stories about his days in the Navy. He was an MP for a while, so he also handed out condoms as the boys left the ship for shore leave. My mother was born while my uncle was out at sea. My grandmother wrote him letters every week, and kept referencing her "condition" when referring to being pregnant. My uncle had no clue what she meant, and thought she had some sort of disease or disability, until my grandfather sent him a letter saying he had a sister.
It's not a thread without wlu_lax misspellings and Sybian fucking up the quote function.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Don’t freak out, I’m fine, but this AM my lower left leg is giving me a very serious warning about what could happen if I ever try to lunge to beat the throw at 1B again.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

besides weekly pickup games (14-56, club players, HS players, college players, ex pros) play in a o50s league.. bengay, camp chairs, sunscreen, cursing in many languages and lots of ex-pros (no one you'd have heard off) and the occasional asshat who either wants to relive his glory days or uses the game as an outlet for his anger -- those guys don't last more than a season if that before they get kicked out of the team/league. Its sunday pub footy!
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

oh, and lifting. Got to have that OldManStrenght.
and somehow running another Ragnar later this year.
and snowboarding.

goal is when we take the new kid to the pool next summer, the mom's at the baby pool won't think i'm the grandfather.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

elflaco2 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:22 pm oh, and lifting. Got to have that OldManStrenght.
The point of old man strenfff is that you just have it and you don't have to go to the gym!
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

A_B wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:23 pm
elflaco2 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:22 pm oh, and lifting. Got to have that OldManStrenght.
The point of old man strenfff is that you just have it and you don't have to go to the gym!
shhhhhhh!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

and snowboarding.

goal is when we take the new kid to the pool next summer, the mom's at the baby pool won't think i'm the grandfather.
Wait, new kid?!?!? Did you bury the lede there?
-Pruitt
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:37 pm
and snowboarding.

Check the vacation thread
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

duff wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:48 pm
and snowboarding.

Damn, I was wondering why that thread blew up. I meant to go back and catch up, never expected to miss that news in the vacation thread!
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Went back to the Y yesterday for the first time post pandemic.

Today has been progressively more ouch as the day has worn on. Cardio is still halfway decent because of hockey but I gotta keep kicking up the interval training and I'm weak as shit on the weights rn.

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:11 pm
and snowboarding.

Damn, I was wondering why that thread blew up. I meant to go back and catch up, never expected to miss that news in the vacation thread!
Well, to be fair, he actually buried the lede over there, too?

ETA - Was going to edit the punctuation, but I love a good Ron Burgundy moment...
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

and snowboarding.

and all that leftover scotch from my 50th left to consume... when's the NJ swamp bbq?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

elflaco2 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:13 pm
and snowboarding.

and all that leftover scotch from my 50th left to consume... when's the NJ swamp bbq?
I'm free almost every weekend for the foreseeable future...
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Wife and kids are gone 8/8 let’s goooooo
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:52 pm Wife and kids are gone 8/8 let’s goooooo
I’ll be there.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:56 pm
rass wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:52 pm Wife and kids are gone 8/8 let’s goooooo
I’ll be there.
My wife is leaving for a family reunion at about that same time. Too bad you’re 3,000 miles away.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I’ll host if AB shows
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:18 pm I’ll host if AB shows
I'm showing up either way.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I’ll be even further away on that day tHan usual. Be driving Brack from Amelia.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:42 pm I’ll be even further away on that day tHan usual. Be driving Brack from Amelia.
Obama?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Driving Barack from Malia?
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."