MLS 2019 & 2020

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, DaveInSeattle, rass

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 20224
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: MLS 2019 & 2020

Post by mister d » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:07 pm

Less Rony Seikalys than the other team.
rass wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:20 am
I'm definitely known as "the boy who cried penis" in town.

User avatar
wlu_lax6
The Dude
Posts: 7459
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:16 am

Re: MLS 2019 & 2020

Post by wlu_lax6 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:19 pm

mister d wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:07 pm
Less Rony Seikalys than the other team.
Your squad would have benefited from less Blake and Bedoya today

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 20224
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: MLS 2019 & 2020

Post by mister d » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:30 pm

Yeah, the late Blake save versus the Johnson non-save was the difference there. Several Philadelphia players looked pretty damn fat.
rass wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:20 am
I'm definitely known as "the boy who cried penis" in town.

User avatar
Giff
The Dude
Posts: 6518
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: MLS 2019 & 2020

Post by Giff » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:52 pm

mister d wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:30 pm
Blake s...Johnson ................i.............S............................ pretty damn fat.
Muh.

User avatar
Nonlinear FC
The Dude
Posts: 6329
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: MLS 2019 & 2020

Post by Nonlinear FC » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:31 pm

As predicted, Nashville is out of the MLS is Back tournament. Too many positive test results, apparently.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

User avatar
Steve of phpBB
The Dude
Posts: 5264
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 am

Re: MLS 2019 & 2020

Post by Steve of phpBB » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:34 pm

Nonlinear FC wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:31 pm
As predicted, Nashville is out of the MLS is Back tournament. Too many positive test results, apparently.
They should rename it the "Only Some of MLS is Back. For Now. But stay tuned." tournament.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.

User avatar
Nonlinear FC
The Dude
Posts: 6329
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: MLS 2019 & 2020

Post by Nonlinear FC » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:37 pm

:D

Or just throw a question mark at the end.

I'm Ron Burgundy?
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

User avatar
wlu_lax6
The Dude
Posts: 7459
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:16 am

Re: MLS 2019 & 2020

Post by wlu_lax6 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:26 am

Toronto started hot and made DC's defense look very poor...then a red card right before the half and now 10 man DC just hoping to not get blown out like FC Cinn...nope...heat must have gotten to the boys from up North because DC grabs 2 goals (one in E.T.) to tie it up. And then after the whistle DC did some chirpping...Probably calling out Toronto for not showing up to play yesterday.

User avatar
Nonlinear FC
The Dude
Posts: 6329
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: MLS 2019 & 2020

Post by Nonlinear FC » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:59 pm

wlu_lax6 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:26 am
Toronto started hot and made DC's defense look very poor...then a red card right before the half and now 10 man DC just hoping to not get blown out like FC Cinn...nope...heat must have gotten to the boys from up North because DC grabs 2 goals (one in E.T.) to tie it up. And then after the whistle DC did some chirpping...Probably calling out Toronto for not showing up to play yesterday.
Wow. I watched the first half and gave up on it, especially given the heat and being down a man.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

User avatar
wlu_lax6
The Dude
Posts: 7459
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:16 am

Re: MLS 2019 & 2020

Post by wlu_lax6 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:52 pm

Nonlinear FC wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:59 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:26 am
Toronto started hot and made DC's defense look very poor...then a red card right before the half and now 10 man DC just hoping to not get blown out like FC Cinn...nope...heat must have gotten to the boys from up North because DC grabs 2 goals (one in E.T.) to tie it up. And then after the whistle DC did some chirpping...Probably calling out Toronto for not showing up to play yesterday.
Wow. I watched the first half and gave up on it, especially given the heat and being down a man.
I was wondering if Ben Olsen was going to still be head coach when DC leaves Florida.

User avatar
wlu_lax6
The Dude
Posts: 7459
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:16 am

Re: MLS 2019 & 2020

Post by wlu_lax6 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:57 pm

Kyle Beckerman played in his 21st MLS season yesterday. 489 Games Played, 457 Starts, over 40K minutes played. He is only behind Nick Rimando (514 games played/514 starts/46K minutes)

7 of his teammates were not born when he played his first game for the Fusion.

User avatar
Rex
The Dude
Posts: 5053
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:10 pm

Re: MLS 2019 & 2020

Post by Rex » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:11 pm

If you are questioning the backness of MLS


User avatar
Sabo
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4914
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:33 am
Location: On the trail

Re: MLS 2019 & 2020

Post by Sabo » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:21 am

Rex wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:11 pm
If you are questioning the backness of MLS

The cherry on top is the SJ fan on the video board behind the goal who starts waving her scarf after her team allows an own goal.
Mallards rule.

So do cassowaries.

User avatar
wlu_lax6
The Dude
Posts: 7459
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:16 am

Re: MLS 2019 & 2020

Post by wlu_lax6 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:36 am

Sabo wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:21 am
Rex wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:11 pm
If you are questioning the backness of MLS

The cherry on top is the SJ fan on the video board behind the goal who starts waving her scarf after her team allows an own goal.
b.t.w. you know those video boards are not actually there. I am actually pretty impressed with the computer overly on the far side of the field (that is actually just a big blue screen).

User avatar
Nonlinear FC
The Dude
Posts: 6329
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: MLS 2019 & 2020

Post by Nonlinear FC » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:59 pm

Sitting in a hotel in Hartford*, watching a decent amount of MLS tonight.

The DCU - NER game was bizarre. No real energy, NER should've walked the match, but allow an extremely sloppy goal at the hands of Higuian and they sneak another point,

Meanwhile, COL almost snuck a point against Sporting in a 3-2 whacky game where CO had 2 guys sent off.

I watched the wrong game.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

User avatar
phxgators
Brandt
Posts: 470
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:19 pm

Re: MLS 2019 & 2020

Post by phxgators » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:26 am

Nonlinear FC wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:59 pm
Sitting in a hotel in Hartford*, watching a decent amount of MLS tonight.

The DCU - NER game was bizarre. No real energy, NER should've walked the match, but allow an extremely sloppy goal at the hands of Higuian and they sneak another point,

Meanwhile, COL almost snuck a point against Sporting in a 3-2 whacky game where CO had 2 guys sent off.

I watched the wrong game.
The ref was awful in the the CO game, just awful. Ref missed what should have been a red against CO earlier then made up for it with a BS handball call that led to a goal. The winning goal was just a bananas pinball goal that made perfect sense to finish that game.

P.D.X.
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3754
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: MLS 2019 & 2020

Post by P.D.X. » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:45 pm

De Boer out at Atlanta after not even getting a goal in the group stage.

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 20224
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: MLS 2019 & 2020

Post by mister d » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:55 pm

Positive results in the postseason is weird.
rass wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:20 am
I'm definitely known as "the boy who cried penis" in town.

User avatar
Nonlinear FC
The Dude
Posts: 6329
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: MLS 2019 & 2020

Post by Nonlinear FC » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:56 pm

Watching the COL-MIN round of 16 game. Not bad, but a little bit of plodding affair.

Anyways, something I hope they keep going forward: Those little ball retrieval cone things by each goal. Makes things so much smoother on goal kicks.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 21965
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: El lugar de ser
Contact:

Re: MLS 2019 & 2020

Post by brian » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:57 am

Are there any MLS teams at risk of re-locating? Story in the Adelson fishwrap today quoted the LV Raiders VP in saying they're in the "contract stages" of getting an MLS team for Las Vegas/Allegiant Stadium, but I'm not aware of any teams that are candidates for re-location.

User avatar
wlu_lax6
The Dude
Posts: 7459
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:16 am

Re: MLS 2019 & 2020

Post by wlu_lax6 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:02 pm

What is the MLS going to do after this MLS is Back tournament? It has been very quiet. Right before DC went out against Montreal, my sales rep called me to check in. That was before baseball went and messed it up for everyone. I am guessing eliminated teams left the bubble, but i have not heard of DC training or MLS even mentioning playing games.

USL appears to be having games with no fans.

User avatar
govmentchedda
The Dude
Posts: 8213
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Re: MLS 2019 & 2020

Post by govmentchedda » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:04 pm

The Rowdies had a small crowd at a home game a few weeks ago (~200 people maybe). I also got an email and call from Orlando City recently, (after buying tickets for an OC game once). Fuck that organization.
I took a two hour nap and cried during parks and Rec. it was awesome and terrifying.

User avatar
Nonlinear FC
The Dude
Posts: 6329
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: MLS 2019 & 2020

Post by Nonlinear FC » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:34 pm

brian wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:57 am
Are there any MLS teams at risk of re-locating? Story in the Adelson fishwrap today quoted the LV Raiders VP in saying they're in the "contract stages" of getting an MLS team for Las Vegas/Allegiant Stadium, but I'm not aware of any teams that are candidates for re-location.
There was a Forbes report, digging into Garber's comment that a certain number of franchises were still operating a loss (1/3 is in my head, but I could be wrong.)

Meanwhile, Charlotte enters as the latest franchise at a whopping $320M... Somewhere feels like an owner in that lower end of the profit range cashing in. But I think you'd have to take a deeper dive on those bottom teams to see what they're reality is (specifically their stadium situation.)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

User avatar
Rex
The Dude
Posts: 5053
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:10 pm

Re: MLS 2019 & 2020

Post by Rex » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:31 pm

I think Nashville resolved its stadium situation, so my guess would be Dallas or Houston, with Colorado as a dark horse.

User avatar
wlu_lax6
The Dude
Posts: 7459
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:16 am

Re: MLS 2019 & 2020

Post by wlu_lax6 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:47 pm

I am not sure DC is making money
New England is losing money...although that is Kraft shell game of expenses
Guess Crew are probably not profitable

User avatar
wlu_lax6
The Dude
Posts: 7459
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:16 am

Re: MLS 2019 & 2020

Post by wlu_lax6 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:47 am

Nani had a night last night. His goals were very pretty.

P.D.X.
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3754
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: MLS 2019 & 2020

Post by P.D.X. » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:38 am

wlu_lax6 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:02 pm
What is the MLS going to do after this MLS is Back tournament? It has been very quiet. Right before DC went out against Montreal, my sales rep called me to check in. That was before baseball went and messed it up for everyone. I am guessing eliminated teams left the bubble, but i have not heard of DC training or MLS even mentioning playing games.

USL appears to be having games with no fans.
3 phases of 6 games each per team. The first phase schedule released today. Good setup – allows flexibility in case things go haywire.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/schedule/2020 ... -to-season

User avatar
govmentchedda
The Dude
Posts: 8213
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Re: MLS 2019 & 2020

Post by govmentchedda » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:53 pm

Spoiler alert. They will.
I took a two hour nap and cried during parks and Rec. it was awesome and terrifying.

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 20224
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: MLS 2019 & 2020

Post by mister d » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:39 pm

Go Timbers.
rass wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:20 am
I'm definitely known as "the boy who cried penis" in town.

User avatar
govmentchedda
The Dude
Posts: 8213
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Re: MLS 2019 & 2020

Post by govmentchedda » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:45 pm

mister d wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:39 pm
Go Timbers.
OMG yes. Fuck Orlando City.
I took a two hour nap and cried during parks and Rec. it was awesome and terrifying.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 21965
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: El lugar de ser
Contact:

Re: MLS 2019 & 2020

Post by brian » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:51 am

St. Louis team name and crest released.

St. Louis City SC

Image

User avatar
Giff
The Dude
Posts: 6518
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: MLS 2019 & 2020

Post by Giff » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:01 pm

Best fans in the MLS!
Muh.

User avatar
wlu_lax6
The Dude
Posts: 7459
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:16 am

Re: MLS 2019 & 2020

Post by wlu_lax6 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:29 pm

That is a nice crest. Grant Wahl had a guy on podcast who does soccer badge designs for most of these teams. Said he was moving away from circle badges and badges with soccer balls. Also involved in color selection. I think this may have been a project he was involved with. He was with Nike and helped on the Nigeria world cup jerseys. He was also involved in LAFC's logo design (hope the NWSL Team says with Angels..but know they may have some trouble with that pesky baseball team).

Now why can't some of these clubs get more expansive than United, City, F.C., etc. Sporting was a nice touch in the KC rebrand. S.C. for Soccer Club will work and amazed that in the US nobody has tried the A.C. for Athletic Club.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 21965
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: El lugar de ser
Contact:

Re: MLS 2019 & 2020

Post by brian » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:31 pm

It's OK, but St. Louis has one of -- maybe THE -- coolest city flag in the US so it would have been nice to incorporate that somehow. Though I hear they might be doing that for the unis.

Image

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 12049
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: MLS 2019 & 2020

Post by sancarlos » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:07 pm

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

I never shoulda punched that horse. - AB

User avatar
Rex
The Dude
Posts: 5053
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:10 pm

Re: MLS 2019 & 2020

Post by Rex » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:26 pm

Sean Johnson things are happening and I feel normal again

P.D.X.
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3754
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: MLS 2019 & 2020

Post by P.D.X. » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:43 pm

Rex wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:26 pm
Sean Johnson things are happening and I feel normal again
I bet on the draw :(

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 12049
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: MLS 2019 & 2020

Post by sancarlos » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:36 pm

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

I never shoulda punched that horse. - AB

User avatar
wlu_lax6
The Dude
Posts: 7459
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:16 am

Re: MLS 2019 & 2020

Post by wlu_lax6 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:06 pm

Well RSL is having an interesting day. Not only did the owner go on his radio station and say stupid things, he locked his players out from practice today.

Oh and he is on the Utah sports commission... you know the folks that brought the nwsl bubble.and pro lax bubble to his facilities.

User avatar
DSafetyGuy
The Dude
Posts: 5726
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Behind the high school

Re: MLS 2019 & 2020

Post by DSafetyGuy » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:50 pm

wlu_lax6 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:06 pm
Well RSL is having an interesting day. Not only did the owner go on his radio station and say stupid things, he locked his players out from practice today.

Oh and he is on the Utah sports commission... you know the folks that brought the nwsl bubble.and pro lax bubble to his facilities.
Story on his appearance here.
Speaking on the local show “Radio From Hell,” Hansen said the boycott of the game went against what the RSL stands for, which is a sense of community building and family. He likened the team’s decision to a backstabbing.

“It’s a moment of sadness,” Hansen said. “It’s like someone stabbed you and then you’re trying to figure out a way to pull the knife out and move forward. That’s what it feels like. The disrespect was profound to me personally.”
And...
As an apparent response to the game’s boycott, Hansen said he’ll be rolling back some of the decisions he’s made recently, including bringing back 40 employees that had been furloughed in April due to the suspension of the MLS season.

“We will not be inviting fans back to the stadium in the future, so tomorrow ... I start cutting 40 to 50 jobs again,” Hansen said. “We would not go through the risk of inviting people back to have that kind of an outcome.”
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”

Post Reply