Jeeves Quietly Asks For Some Swamp Help and Swamp Discretion...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

tennbengal
The Dude

Jeeves Quietly Asks For Some Swamp Help and Swamp Discretion...

Post by tennbengal »

...anyone with any clue how a professional, say, an attorney, goes about finding a second job for evenings or weekends? Having a next to impossible time getting foot in the door for the kinds of work that would theoretically be able to fit in around an attorney's schedule due to, likely, being kinda old and having a JD and what not. Have tried security guard, grocery store, special counsel, and temp agency kinda ideas with no bites so far.

If you have no advice, that's cool, but to the extent that our circles cross on facebook or otherwise in the real world, please keep this general question kinda quiet, if that's ok.

Thanks.
BSF21
The Dude

Re: Jeeves Quietly Asks For Some Swamp Help and Swamp Discretion...

Post by BSF21 »

Have you tried any gig stuff in the off hours? Uber/Lyft, Wag, etc? My buddy's wife does one where she does shopping trips for people and makes a little scratch.

Also, if you need something in the meantime, shoot me a message. I'll help out however I can.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The car I would use for lyft or uber is a 2014 and I think would cost me some decent money to get it cleared for using that way in Maryland (and might be too old, actually, not sure) which would kinda the purpose in the short term I think.

The other offer is kind, but I will figure this out one way or another.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

You should get up early and write sports blog posts for free and maybe hope the athletic picks you up.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

With spring approaching, nurseries/landscaping companies might be able to use some seasonal weekend help? Maybe even Lowe's or Home Depot type stores in their garden centers.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:14 am You should get up early and write sports blog posts for free and maybe hope the athletic picks you up.
It did cross my mind that would be a great way to make extra money. Maybe run some ads for bumper nuts and let the cash flow in.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

phxgators wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:36 am With spring approaching, nurseries/landscaping companies might be able to use some seasonal weekend help? Maybe even Lowe's or Home Depot type stores in their garden centers.
Yeah, haven't kicked the home depot or lowe's tires yet, that's a good idea. Thanks.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:39 am
A_B wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:14 am You should get up early and write sports blog posts for free and maybe hope the athletic picks you up.
It did cross my mind that would be a great way to make extra money. Maybe run some ads for bumper nuts and let the cash flow in.
My father-in-law was in a similar predicament and was able to get a job at Home Depot stocking shelves and the like (granted very early in the morning -- like a 3 a.m. to 7 a.m. shift)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

brian wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:41 am
tennbengal wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:39 am
My father-in-law was in a similar predicament and was able to get a job at Home Depot stocking shelves and the like (granted very early in the morning -- like a 3 a.m. to 7 a.m. shift)
Man, that would be exactly the kind of thing I am looking for. Will haunt Home Depot today w/ an app.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The officiating side hustle is very lucrative. Startup costs are on you (uniform and maybe a training fee) but you control your own schedule (just block when you can't work). Club sports makes it a year round gig and hourly rate kicks the rear out of lyft/uber/task rabbit/flipping burgers/stocking shelves. One of the guys I know did $45K (that is on the high end) just for lacrosse. However, we have older folks who are big on the Tennis, Field Hockey, and Volleyball scene.

easy to pull a list of side hustles

https://www.oberlo.com/blog/side-hustle
https://www.sidehustlenation.com/ideas/
https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/293954

I have been wondering how I can make some dough in the egaming space. National Federation for High School Sports just certified its....VA and MD have not yet joined. NHFS is working with https://www.playvs.com/.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:52 am The officiating side hustle is very lucrative. Startup costs are on you (uniform and maybe a training fee) but you control your own schedule (just block when you can't work). Club sports makes it a year round gig and hourly rate kicks the rear out of lyft/uber/task rabbit/flipping burgers/stocking shelves. One of the guys I know did $45K (that is on the high end) just for lacrosse. However, we have older folks who are big on the Tennis, Field Hockey, and Volleyball scene.

easy to pull a list of side hustles

https://www.oberlo.com/blog/side-hustle
https://www.sidehustlenation.com/ideas/
https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/293954

I have been wondering how I can make some dough in the egaming space. National Federation for High School Sports just certified its....VA and MD have not yet joined. NHFS is working with https://www.playvs.com/.
Hmmm, after 10 years of being a Club soccer parent, I could probably maybe make that work with the ref training classes. And, it would work from a karma standpoint as I spent a lot of years getting mad at refs.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I've thought a lot about reffing, especially if we move to another area and my salary takes a reasonable hit.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

A couple of friends I used to work with umpire girls softball; both have professional positions working M-F 8-5. They do school and rec games so it's starts in the spring and runs through the fall making anywhere from $50-$100 per game. They can haul in $400-$500 in a weekend doing a tournament plus any weeknight games they pickup.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

GoodKarma wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:33 am A couple of friends I used to work with umpire girls softball; both have professional positions working M-F 8-5. They do school and rec games so it's starts in the spring and runs through the fall making anywhere from $50-$100 per game. They can haul in $400-$500 in a weekend doing a tournament plus any weeknight games they pickup.

What is nice is those rec weekends and tournaments = real money. Over a 4th of July weekend a few years back I made ~$3K. That was crazy number of games 8-10 a day, but yeah generally a youth game in lacrosse can run $40 for an hour and an evening of high school (JV + Varsity) will get you just shy of $200. I think soccer starts on the lower end $20-$30 for a u-whatever game. I am curious about Tennis and Volleyball. Tennis officials and Golf officials can move up the ladder very quickly (does not take much to get to ump challenger series events from what I have been told). I know a few golf in the area who have worked PGA events and state championship events. They say the golf test is a beast.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

GoodKarma wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:33 am A couple of friends I used to work with umpire girls softball; both have professional positions working M-F 8-5. They do school and rec games so it's starts in the spring and runs through the fall making anywhere from $50-$100 per game. They can haul in $400-$500 in a weekend doing a tournament plus any weeknight games they pickup.
Hmmm, softball, there's another good idea - as I know the rules and what not, which helps. Lacrosse and field hockey ref'ing would be a non-starter for me...I don't believe anyone can adequately ref a sport they haven't played and/or coached/watched extensively.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:53 am
Hmmm, softball, there's another good idea - as I know the rules and what not, which helps. Lacrosse and field hockey ref'ing would be a non-starter for me...I don't believe anyone can adequately ref a sport they haven't played and/or coached/watched extensively.
Honestly, you have me thinking about getting into reffing softball here for some extra money. There's a shitton of tournaments here almost year-round.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

My role model if I can find something at Home Depot or Lowe's is Michael Keaton in The Other Guys. I will probably just go around quoting random TLC lyrics in an homage.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I reffed travel soccer from age 12-18, and I think I miss it more than I miss playing. Once my kids are out of youth sports, I've been think I will start reffing again. It doesn't pay all that much, but it's a good excuse to get out and run, and stay connected to youth soccer once I'm done coaching.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:53 am I don't believe anyone can adequately ref a sport they haven't played and/or coached/watched extensively.
From my experience, that is actually not the case. We have great refs who never played. It is more of a mindset and willingness to learn. Since DC has a heavy military community we get lots of folks who come and want to make some money. So we train them and they can get very good.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah, I reffed club soccer one time a few years ago. I learned that I am A) not good enough, B) don't care enough, C) don't have the necessary super-confident demeanor, and D) really hate the mouthy parents.

I sympathize with you, Bengal. When you get up there in age, it is hard to get a job if you aren't super-specialized for it. Nobody wants to hire old dudes. (On a side note - it does look like I might be going back to work again. I'll post more on that if it comes to pass.)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Have you looked into websites that have project legal work? You can get one-off assignments as simple as editing or doc review, or drafting memos or simple wills.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt