Quick Hitter Travel Guide - Denver *TODAY*

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Quick Hitter Travel Guide - Denver *TODAY*

Post by Nonlinear FC »

So, the wife and I are having such a great trip, and our Monday isn’t crazy busy, so we decided to extend a day.

Other than taking The Girl out to lunch, we are wide open. Any ideas, Denver Swamp Denizens?

We hit the Trve Tap Room yesterday and kind of had our fill of beer so far... But open to any suggestions.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Re: Quick Hitter Travel Guide - Denver *TODAY*

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Thinking of heading to The Springs.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:22 pm Thinking of heading to The Springs.
What about hitting Boulder?

Wait, your daughter goes to Denver not CU right?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:25 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:22 pm Thinking of heading to The Springs.
What about hitting Boulder?
We spent a 1/2 day there in October. Haven’t been to CS since a drive thru 15 years ago. It DUMPED snow up in the mountains, and I skied Keystone Friday, so we’re sticking to urban today.
Last edited by Nonlinear FC on Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

And Rush I’ve still got your notes from back in the day.

We hit the Denver Art Museum yesterday for free - First Saturday. Thank you Toyota!! Place was fucking fantastic, even tho it was packed.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Natural History Museum is pretty nice. It's by the park on Colorado Boulevard.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Never been to Ft. Collins, thinking of heading up to New Belgium.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:20 pm Never been to Ft. Collins, thinking of heading up to New Belgium.
Related, but not really the same, the NB location in Asheville is the tits, but the beer is crap.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

If you're going to Ft. Collins go to Jessup Farm Barrel House. Food and beer blow NB away. I hear the NB tour is great but it's appoimtment only.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Can not recommend the NB tour highly enough. They give you an insane amount of beer and the tour is very educational. Because of weather we got to walk right on but yeah I can see why it’s a tough ticket.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Nice!

There's a good Nashville chicken place near CSU if you're looking for dinner.

Just go lower than you think, it gets hot quick.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Rush2112 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:45 pm Nice!

The place here in town with best nashvillenis same way. Whatever you think you want, go at least one step down.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

A_B wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:55 pm

The place here in town with best nashvillenis same way. Whatever you think you want, go at least one step down.
When we went there I got a bit toward the top and waffles. They gave me the smallest possible side of maple syrup. Big ass breast of chicken, one of those dressing cups half full. No way that was going to calm the fire. 1. tell us that your shit is hot. 2. give us a side to compliment it.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

sancarlos wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:47 pm The Natural History Museum is pretty nice. It's by the park on Colorado Boulevard.
Yeah, it's definitely worth a stop. They have a new da Vinci exhibit that I'm looking forward to seeing.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I loved my time in Fort Collins. And, it's still a great city now, 100 years later.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:51 pm I loved my time in Fort Collins. And, it's still a great city now, 100 years later.
aside from the cow college.....errr... university there.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

We wound up having a nice lunch at The Blind Pig. $2 mimosas and people were HAMMERED. (We just had a regular drink, because I still had to drive back to Denver.)

That was probably our best trip out there so far. Great time visiting with The Girl, but left her to do her own thing (and likewise for us). Great food, beer and we're figuring out what kind of pot works for recreational as opposed to pain reduction.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Rush2112 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:19 am
A_B wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:55 pm

When we went there I got a bit toward the top and waffles. They gave me the smallest possible side of maple syrup. Big ass breast of chicken, one of those dressing cups half full. No way that was going to calm the fire. 1. tell us that your shit is hot. 2. give us a side to compliment it.
We had breakfast at the Denver Biscuit Co. Wound up getting fried chicken smothered in gravy with a poached egg on top. Fucking top notch, man.

As for Nashville Chicken, yeah... I'm a fan of mildly spicy stuff, but not a fan of "my eyeballs are sweating" level of hotness. I had some of the Nashville stuff at some joint and it was just too much, barely ate 1/4 of it.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

So, we're back in town for a "let's finish transporting the bulk of both our kids junk from MD to Denver" and it's been pretty great so far. Got in just as the snow started falling yesterday and duffed off of I70 because even out here, people are morons in the snow. Nice route of city streets brought us downtown.

My wife is a goddamn travel ninja and has found yet another cool AirBnB... Kasa by the Riverfront or something like that. 10 minute walk to Union Station. Across the street is a part of Commerce Park and it's nothing but snow mounds and dogs and it's awesome. Place feels almost brand new, and the surrounding apartment/condo complexes all look to be around the same age. Looks like the city opened up residential zoning here and BOOM developers sure seemed ready to go.

Last night we had a pretty great dinner at a gastro brewpub called the Thirsty Lion, which was adjacent to Union Station. Great beer list and the food was top notch. Even though it's only been a month or so, it was great having the four of us break bread and cut it up like we do.

This morning, after some east coast meetings (7:30a local time) we wandered out and kind of randomly found a breakfast place where I had the best breakfast burrito I've ever had. Place is called Onefold and they had this burrito slathered in green chili with crunchy potato crisps, chorizo, egg, scallions and some kind of duck fat sauce going on... I could only eat half of it and I can't wait to dig into the second half at some point.
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

Could try The Celtic on Market, friend of mine owns that
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I think there's a square somewhere where people just gather and chat about how Denver is totally like so cool
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Gunpowder wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:42 pm I think there's a square somewhere where people just gather and chat about how Denver is totally like so cool
That's everywhere in Denver.

(They're not wrong though.)
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

What Steve said.

If you want something a little more upscale in the same area try Tavernetta. If you want lower scale go to the Denver Milk Market...they converted a city block into a mix use complex with a pedestrian alley. All sorts of food & drink options.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Baloney wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:32 pm Could try The Celtic on Market, friend of mine owns that
Tell them Baloney sent you.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Celtic used to be a last-call stop for me if I was grabbing the bus back to Boulder. Much cheaper whiskey pour than the bar in Union Station. (Man I led a different life just a couple years ago.)
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

No shit?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:20 pm My wife is a goddamn travel ninja and has found yet another cool AirBnB... Kasa by the Riverfront or something like that. 10 minute walk to Union Station. Across the street is a part of Commerce Park and it's nothing but snow mounds and dogs and it's awesome. Place feels almost brand new, and the surrounding apartment/condo complexes all look to be around the same age. Looks like the city opened up residential zoning here and BOOM developers sure seemed ready to go.
Stayed at the Glass House for a few days for work in 2008, which I believe is right by your temporary home.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Back in the olden days we used to hang out at the Wazee Supper Club, at 15rh and Wazee. I have no idea if it even still exists, but if so, it’s right in that area.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

GoodKarma wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:59 pm What Steve said.

If you want something a little more upscale in the same area try Tavernetta. If you want lower scale go to the Denver Milk Market...they converted a city block into a mix use complex with a pedestrian alley. All sorts of food & drink options.
Oh, yeah, we walked right by Tavernetta a couple times today! It looked really good, just from the plates I peeped from the tables sitting out in those igloo looking things.

My son is picking the spots this trip, which is nice. We're headed to a joint called The Preservery tonight. We'll see how it goes. My Boy is a little one note: Needs a good beer list, and his diet is pretty limited to some variation of chicken tenders or fish and chips. Kind of kills mom and I, as we're a LOT more adventurous when we're on our own, but... We make it work.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:04 pm Back in the olden days we used to hang out at the Wazee Supper Club, at 15rh and Wazee. I have no idea if it even still exists, but if so, it’s right in that area.
They closed down several years ago
What am I, 12?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Pretty cool spot... Went to Impolite Society for a few more drinks afterwards... Feeling almost out of the age range in RINO, but my kids felt right at home. :D
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:35 am Pretty cool spot... Went to Impolite Society for a few more drinks afterwards... Feeling almost out of the age range in RINO, but my kids felt right at home. :D
RINO is a cool neighborhood. When we were there a few years ago, we stayed in an AirBnb in the area. Hit the 14er brewery and Our Mutual Friend brewery. And also stumbled into an awesome salsa dance party in some loft.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:31 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:35 am Pretty cool spot... Went to Impolite Society for a few more drinks afterwards... Feeling almost out of the age range in RINO, but my kids felt right at home. :D
RINO is a cool neighborhood. When we were there a few years ago, we stayed in an AirBnb in the area. Hit the 14er brewery and Our Mutual Friend brewery. And also stumbled into an awesome salsa dance party in some loft.
Both are on our list and 14er was about a block away from Impolite Society... What I love about that district, which we've hit up multiple times now (Odells, 10 Barrell) is that it's all former wholesale/warehouse space that they got on the cheap before the area took off. Very cool venues all around.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

One of my fav breweries is down there...Ratio Beerworks.
What am I, 12?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Had a very good lunch yesterday at Blue Sake Sushi over by Union Station with just the wife... Just what we needed to mix up the diet. High quality stuff but not crazy expensive. They were also playing Kung Fu Panda with subtitles, which is something I used to watch to put my fidgety daughter to sleep way back in the day so... feels.

After a day full of errands (Total Wine, Bed Bath to infinity and Beyond, Target) we ditched the kids and headed "home." Ordered up Root Down thru Uber Eats and... Holy shit. First time since Greens in San Francisco that I had vegetarian food that made me totally forget I was eating vegetarian food. To be fair, they had options where you could add protein, so I threw some steak on the salad we ordered. Columbian Arepas, something called Devils on Horseback ("Peppadew Peppers, Bacon, Smoked Almonds, Gournay Cheese Fondue & Sherry Gastrique"), Carrot & Thai Red Curry Soup, and a Kale and Bean salad that I can't describe well, but was amazing.

Anyways... Headed to Boulder today and I'm sure I'll add other few inches to the waistline while we're over there.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

GoodKarma wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:53 pm One of my fav breweries is down there...Ratio Beerworks.

Agreed. I need to hit others that I haven't been to down there, just end up at Ratio again.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Anyways... Headed to Boulder today and I'm sure I'll add other few inches to the waistline while we're over there.
[/quote]

I'd recommend hitting some of the breweries in the burbs before you head out. 4 noses, cellar West, liquid mechanics, Westbound and down all excellent and right outside Boulder.

Uhl it's my brewery of choice in Boulder proper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Posted in the other thread about a nice little happenstance re: Pliny the Elder.

Brunch: Denver Biscuit Company. Fucking ridiculous food... I had shrimp and grits, wife had chicken and biscuit, daughter had a sausage and egg biscuit, all were amazing.

Had a FYIPA pitcher at Mountain Sun in Boulder. We walked up and down Pearl St. and eventually landed at Backcountry pizza for amazing food and beer.

This has been a really unexpected treat. Original intent was to come out Friday and drop shit off, we changed it to come out on Wednesday and this turned into a really nice work/fun trip that allowed us to bond and relax and talk about "where things are going" for both of the "kids."

Headed home tomorrow, alas. But nice to have this time with them and also nice to not have work on Monday.

Get it.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Nice. Had an FYI, a kolsch, and Colorado kind last night. Hopefully you took advantage of their endless free samples.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:28 am Posted in the other thread about a nice little happenstance re: Pliny the Elder.

Brunch: Denver Biscuit Company. Fucking ridiculous food... I had shrimp and grits, wife had chicken and biscuit, daughter had a sausage and egg biscuit, all were amazing.

Had a FYIPA pitcher at Mountain Sun in Boulder. We walked up and down Pearl St. and eventually landed at Backcountry pizza for amazing food and beer.

This has been a really unexpected treat. Original intent was to come out Friday and drop shit off, we changed it to come out on Wednesday and this turned into a really nice work/fun trip that allowed us to bond and relax and talk about "where things are going" for both of the "kids."

Headed home tomorrow, alas. But nice to have this time with them and also nice to not have work on Monday.

Get it.
Very nice. What it's all about