So first we are paying kids to play for us and now they pay us

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

So first we are paying kids to play for us and now they pay us

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Not surprised but based on the scarcity of admission slots, I am amazed most D1 coaches in sports that matter would engage. Or this is a good way to launder money you pay the kids you want to come.
tennbengal
The Dude

Re: So first we are paying kids to play for us and now they pay us

Post by tennbengal »

1.2 million dollars for that one Yale soccer coach to commit fraud. That's a decent payday. Save for the getting caught, part.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I assume your reference was to the spillover from this, wlu:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ju ... f=hpsplash
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'd stick some rich fuckstick's kid at the end of my bench for $1M, yes.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, my dad not having a spare million is all that prevented me having a college career of d1 glory. Damn.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

This story is bananas. Going on at Yale, at least, for 24 years?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

This story is going to get fully lit up by tomorrow's morning news cycle. The fact that a Desperate Housewife and Full House star are involved are going to ratchet this thing way up. But just the whole "rich people that could have their kid go anywhere still felt the need to cheat," the fact that coaches were putting kids who didn't even play the sport on their roster, and the total amount of cash involved (millions) makes this just INCREDIBLE television.

There's a movie coming out of this, no question.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Reading the meltdown thread and then this and knowing which crimes will get more eyes and ears is super depressing.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The jokes on this have been AMAZING.

Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

They were not necessarily even getting on the team. ESPN has this article about Penn
In the fall of 2014, Allen still put Morris Esformes on a list of priority recruits and slotted him for one of two spots for admission at the prestigious Wharton School of Business.

Morris Esformes is currently a senior at Penn, though he has never played for the Quakers.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2623 ... 300k-bribe
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

And of course there's gonna be a Trump angle since no way were his dipshit kids smart enough to get into Ivy League schools on their own.

In fact, I'm a little surprised people are all that shocked -- SHOCKED I TELL YOU -- to discover that money is an effective end-around into getting into an elite college. (Though I admit the details on this particular story are pretty bonkers.)

Anyway, if any of this somehow leads to the release of Donald Trump Jr's high school transcripts I will be elated beyond belief.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:48 pm And of course there's gonna be a Trump angle since no way were his dipshit kids smart enough to get into Ivy League schools on their own.
Does Jared Kushner count? Because it's well known that his daddy bought his way into Harvard.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

It all just makes me all the more bitter that my daughter had straight As her whole life and killed the SAT and ACT tests, but still got rejections from her top choices.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I have a buddy who works for the DOJ......he has never gotten to name one of these things...but Operations Varsity Blues.....nice!
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Best story since Fyre Festival, hands down.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Curious to know how much the kids knew about these schemes before I crank up the schadenfreude knobs all the way up to 11. Seems like they might well have been in the dark about a lot of aspects of the scams, which if so is pretty sad for them.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:15 pm Curious to know how much the kids knew about these schemes before I crank up the schadenfreude knobs all the way up to 11. Seems like they might well have been in the dark about a lot of aspects of the scams, which if so is pretty sad for them.
The ones who were being put in as athletes in sports they never pparticipated in had think something was up.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:21 pm
brian wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:15 pm Curious to know how much the kids knew about these schemes before I crank up the schadenfreude knobs all the way up to 11. Seems like they might well have been in the dark about a lot of aspects of the scams, which if so is pretty sad for them.
The ones who were being put in as athletes in sports they never pparticipated in had think something was up.
For sure. I haven't read up on all of the details from all of the cases. Seems like there was a few different scams all led by the same ringleader.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

https://deadspin.com/here-are-all-the-i ... 1833236579

A lot of the kids were in on it, taking photos in a swimming pool with gear bought on Amazon to "make" the polo team (as one example.) A good chunk of the transcripts were also about how to keep the scheming away from their kids, so it's kind of a mixed bag.

And to be clear NONE of these kids that got in through the "side door" of the athletic department were being put on the end of a bench. They weren't EVER going to be involved with athletics. Either the coaches were in on it (and getting paid) or in the most prominent case, a USC athletic department official was getting these kids in as preferred walk-ons or whatever and then the kids just got in and acted like a normal student. At a school as big as USC, advisers weren't going to dig around about "why aren't you at practice Johnny." They just chalked it up to, Oh I guess Johnny decided not to participate and if the coaching staff of "Sports Team X" doesn't have an issue, why should I bother digging around.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I would have let the kid sit at the end of the bench if they really wanted to though. Get some value for that money!
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Local tv sports guy, a Miami alum:

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Wouldn't it be easier to just do it like the old days....give the school a ton of money and have a building named after you..

and this scandal reminds me of ....
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:52 pm Wouldn't it be easier to just do it like the old days....give the school a ton of money and have a building named after you..
That's kind of the damning thing here. That option still exists, but typically costs more money than this scam. These kids were getting into schools for tens of thousands. Do you think you could get your kid into USC for donating $50K? They'd laugh in your face.

Honestly, there's a lot of levels to this whole thing and one of them is that the schools are playing the victim here because instead of the donations for letting in unqualified applicants weren't going to them directly and to middlemen instead they got pissed.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

It sounds like there was quite a range of bribes paid which suggests a robust and efficient market. B student who is decently fit? Okay, that and $100K can get you a crew scholarship somewhere. Total failson with no redeeming qualities who wants to be on the Stanford volleyball team? That's $6M.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Someone on Reddit read the entire 200 page affadavit and took notes:

(Long post)
[+] spoiler
This seems like legitimately great work by the US Attorney's Office and the FBI. I look forward to reading the whole filing when I can find a way to access it. I'm sure the parents making the bribes thought they would never get caught.

As to the students, I suspect that some had no idea what was happening. It will be probably be heartbreaking for any who thought they made it into college on their merit (to whatever extent the children of wealthy celebrities can reasonably assume that), only to discover that their parents are crooks and they made it in through bribery.

But then again, I do wonder if it's feasible for the students not to have wondered. I read about one student getting into a college through this scheme as a member of the Crew team, even though they didn't do Crew. I can't help but wonder that they knew something was up.

EDIT 1

I find this interesting, so I'm going to go through some of the 200 page [Affidavit in Support of Criminal Complaint](https://www.justice.gov/file/1142876/download) and list the described activity in more detail.

There about 50 Defendants named in total. Many consist of two people with the same last name - likely parents.

Allegedly, they conspired to
1) Bribe college exam administrators to facilitate cheating on college entrance exams
2) Bribe varsity coaches and administrators at elite universities to designate certain applicants as recruited athletes or favored candidates and
3) Use used the façade of a charitable organization to conceal the nature and source of the bribe payments.

The Affidavit also describes parties "Having a third party take classes in place of the actual students, with the understanding that grades earned in the class would be submitted as part of the students’ college applications" and submitting falsified applications with fraudulently obtained scores, fake awards, and fake athletic activities.

The institutions affected are Yale, Stanford, University of Texas, University of Southern California, University of California – Los Angeles, and others.

EDIT 2

The institution through which much of this activity allegedly occurred was The Edge College & Career Network LLC, referred to as "The Key," based in Newport, California.

Three cooperating witnesses have agreed to support the government's case in exchange for leniency. They have already plead guilty to certain charges. One was a head coach of women's soccer at Yale.

Also, Wake Forrest and Georgetown are mentioned.

EDIT 3

Reading now about "The College Entrance Exam Cheating Scheme."

The first cooperating witness allegedly instructed clients of The Key to seek extended time on the ACT by claiming to have a disability. Further, the witness told his clients to change the location of the exam to one of the two he “controlled” in Houston, Texas and West Hollywood, California. The clients would be told to fabricate a reason to justify the change of location, such as a bar mitzvah or a wedding. There, the witness had established relationships with test administrators who accepted bribes to facilitate cheating.

The first cooperating witness would bribe test administrators to allow a third party, often the second cooperating witness, to serve as a purported proctor for the exams while actually providing students with the correct answers or reviewing and correcting the students’ answers after they completed the exam. “In many instances, the students taking the exams were unaware that their parents had arranged for this cheating.” Clients paid $15,000-$75,000 per test for this service, and the first witness would pay the second witness or administrators $10,000 per test to allow it. This money was drawn out of an alleged charity account.

The first cooperating witness (I’ll just use CW-1 like the Affidavit) would earn the trust and confidence of clients by saying he had done the same thing many times before. On a Court-authorized wiretap, he said that it works every time, and that the students often were oblivious to the cheating, pleased with their improved scores, and eager to take the exam again to do even better.

EDIT 4

Reading next about “The College Recruitment Scheme”

From 2011 to 2018, parents paid CW-1 approximately $25 million to bribe coaches and university administrators to designate their children as purported recruited athletes or as members of other favored admissions categories, facilitating the children’s admission to those universities.

CW-1 described a “side door” through which parents could make purported charitable donations which CW-1 would funnel to particular coaches or university programs and, in exchange, the coaches would designate the children as recruited athletes.

CW-1 represented (accurately or not) that he had pulled off the scheme with nearly **800 families**

CW-1 sent bribes to coaches and, once, a university administrator out of the charity bank account.

CW-1 recruited new coaches, including CW-3 (the Yale soccer coach), by claiming that he had already bribed many earlier coaches.

CW-1 would create a falsified athletic profile of the student, including fake honors. Parents would assist by providing **staged photographs** of the children engaged in athletic activity. Sometimes, CW-1 and his associated would find Photoshop the students’ faces onto the bodies of legitimate athletes, something he told a client had had “already done…a million times.”

Holy crap - apparently a false profile sent by CW-1 to the Yale Coach (CW-3) that described the applicant as the co-captain of a prominent soccer team got the applicant into Yale, and also involved CW-1 bribing the Coach with a payment of **$400,000**, drawn from the charity account. Relatives of the applicant then paid CW-1 **$1.2 million** in installments in exchange.

Edit 5

The rest of the document describes the roles played by and evidence against the individual defendants. I'm not going to go through all of them. But for anyone wondering, here's what they allege about Felicity Huffman (much of which has already been reported elsewhere):

Huffman "and her spouse" (isn't that William H Macy? Not sure why he isn't named) made purported donations to the charity (KWF) for the purpose of participating in the college admission exam cheating scheme on behalf of her oldest daughter. She later considered doing the same for her younger daughter, but ultimately decided against it.

Allegedly, CW-1 met with Huffman ("and her spouse") in their home and explained how the scam worked, including that he "controlled" a testing center where he could arrange a third party to "proctor" her daughter's SAT and secretly correct her answers afterwards. Huffman and her spouse agreed to the plan.

Huffman followed CW-1's advice to successfully obtain 100 percent extra time on the SAT for her daughter. Huffman's daughter's high school (seemingly innocently) informed Huffman that she could take the exam with the extra time at the school, but Huffman arranged for her daughter to take the exam at a "controlled" site in West Hollywood allegedly to avoid missing school (because it was offered at the controlled site on a weekend).

With CW-2 "proctoring" the exam, Huffman's daughter got a 1420 on the SAT, an improvement of 400 points from her PSAT. KWF paid a test administrator $40,000 and CW-2 $35,000 for their roles.

Huffman and her spouse made a purported contribution of $15,000 to KWF as a charitable donation, for which "no goods or services" were purportedly exchanged.

In a recorded phone call, Huffman discussed with CW-1 repeating the scheme with her younger daughter. In another phone call, CW-1 described how if a student took the exam without cheating and then the parents sought to participate in the scheme, he would advise CW-2 not to increase the student's score by more than 30% of their first score, so as to not create suspicions. Huffman wanted her younger daughter to be competitive to get into "Georgetown, places like--". Huffman described her plans to increase her younger daughter's score in detail with CW-1 in recorded phone conversations, although she ultimately decided against it for reasons not specified.

Edit 6

Thank you for the gold, generous strangers. That may be all the updates. I'm not sure exactly what is going on with the SAT/PSAT scores above - the numbers provided don't make much sense to me and I just tried to follow the language in the filings.

Edit 7

Everyone who gilded me can expect an admissions offer for their kid to the South Harmon Institute of Technology to play on the varsity underwater basketweaving team.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:32 pm Someone on Reddit read the entire 200 page affadavit and took notes:
congrats to that poster for doing what journalists do?
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

No it’s on Reddit so you can trust it more. That’s how it works.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I take it back this was all worth it ...

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

These jokes are SO GOOD.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:18 pm No it’s on Reddit so you can trust it more. That’s how it works.
Well, to be fair, other than Deadspin, I didn't see that level of detail anywhere else. And like I said, it might take until today/tomorrow for everyone to get past Full House and Desperate Housewives-level of coverage. But there's a lot of really fascinating shit in that indictment and 99 percent of the coverage either barely touched on it, or basically got a lot of the story wrong yesterday.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The fact that the schools apparently didn't know is honestly mind-boggling.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So are admissions officers so busy that they just trust their coaches or preferential to their preferred slots? I mean if I claimed I was USTA ranked, that would be pretty easy to check.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:57 am
brian wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:18 pm No it’s on Reddit so you can trust it more. That’s how it works.
Well, to be fair, other than Deadspin, I didn't see that level of detail anywhere else. And like I said, it might take until today/tomorrow for everyone to get past Full House and Desperate Housewives-level of coverage. But there's a lot of really fascinating shit in that indictment and 99 percent of the coverage either barely touched on it, or basically got a lot of the story wrong yesterday.
must. not. have. looked. too. hard.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

mister d wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:38 pm Reading the meltdown thread and then this and knowing which crimes will get more eyes and ears is super depressing.
The coverage of this story is nauseating -- it gets coverage because we get to laugh at rich people and celebrities, but of all of the corruption in the world, this is what gets people fired up? My hope is this can lead to the downfall of the standardized test scam industry, but ultimately, it's just gonna be schadenfreude and a nice distraction away from more serious stuff.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

As long as these jokes keep coming, I'll never get past the Full House and Desperate Housewives level of coverage.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:11 am
You're really inviting an asshole response, but I'll just say I spent a pretty decent amount of time on mainstream sources yesterday and the level of coverage was thin.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:39 am
Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:11 am
You're really inviting an asshole response, but I'll just say I spent a pretty decent amount of time on mainstream sources yesterday and the level of coverage was thin.
you're really inviting an asshole response, but I'll just say I provided six links on the same mainstream source website today that has a very strong connection to the swamp

seriously, I'm not sure what the *appropriate* way is to tell someone "you're inviting an asshole response by saying I didn't see that level of detail anywhere else" to someone who works for a place in the "anywhere else" that did provide a pretty strong level of detail
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A_B wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:59 am The fact that the schools apparently didn't know is honestly mind-boggling.
Breaking this down with my wife last night and it shows just how siloed these places can be. The brilliance of having these kids come through the "side-door" is operating in a massive gray area. It exposes how much leeway Athletic Departments have in the admission process. There are so many kids that are in a recruiting cloud where admissions doesn't want to get in a tussle. And if you're an adviser or someone in admissions, you take it on faith that a coach or an AD official is operating on the up-and-up. We wondered how zany things must be this week on campuses everywhere... Holy shit! Now we have to reexamine everything!

Then you have sports like crew, water polo, tennis, etc. where there aren't going to be Hudl videos or whatever, they have to rely on national/regional rankings and go on faith. Even with the football and basketball scamming, now you're talking about sports where pressure is huge on admissions not to meddle or ask too many questions. That said, especially with those big sports, these schools are going to get hammered on Compliance issues. Like you said, it's pretty crazy that a 5'5", 150 lb kid gets on a football team as a long snapper. Nobody found that weird?