Anyone here ever have leg surgery?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Anyone here ever have leg surgery?

Post by psunate77 »

I broke my leg fighting a fire last Monday as I stepped in a hole pulling line from a truck (yes, I am a firefighter) Anyways, my Fibula was broken in 2 places. I had surgery on Friday to insert a plater and 2 screws and since then the pain hasn't been bad with the meds, but I have been peeing a lot lol. What is the time table for when I can move a bit? I know there will need to be rehab. Has anyone had any luck with their surgeries to put me at ease.

Thanks
Rush2112
The Dude

Re: Anyone here ever have leg surgery?

Post by Rush2112 »

My sister broke her leg when she was sledding with her kids, got a bar and wire and all that shit...first weeks sucked...but now she says she has no problems except in extreme cold...she can feel the metal.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

I have had two reconstructive surgeries on my right knee as well as a scope done on it. Best thing to do is listen to your doc and bust your ass in rehab.

My first one surgery I was 18. The rehab was easy, but I thought I was invincible and decided I could start walking on it before I was supposed to. And that touch football would be a good idea also. It wasn't. When I went to visit my doc, I swear he used the largest gauge needle he could find to remove the blood from my knee. He took about 10cc of liquid off my knee. He wasn't even close to where he had administered the local.

My second one was about 10 years ago. Much more difficult. Also had microfracture surgery that I didn't know he was doing. It was to help create a "padding" around my joint as I had no cushion left. That shit was not fun.

Good luck with your rehab.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Welcome back...

My father had a horrendous broken leg 25 years ago that required bone scrapes from his hip to replace fragments in his (shit, I'm too drunk for this right now...) Long story short, he was in a wheelchair for 9 months, but now he walks great for a 73 year old man. It looked really bleak at first, but he had a strong recovery, and in the end, after a years or more of rehab, he was good. He required a knee replacement 20 years after the incident, but he was way better after that. He could walk down stairs facing forward again.

Moral of the story, this is why I run from fires rather than fighting them.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Had a cat spiral his tib and fib in a hockey game last season. Screws rods and plates and they said he’d be back on the ice in 4 months. Best advice I’ve heard is just bust your ass in PT. Can’t do much more than that. Thanks for running towards shit we all run away from.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

No surgery, but I tore my LCL, MCL and broke the crown of my tibia after getting knocked back off a bar stool when a buddy was trying to get my attention about some running back scoring some touchdown on some television one autumn, Sunday afternoon several years ago.

I shook it off cuz I was drunk. Woke up the next day knowing I’d be spending a good chunk of it at the hospital.

Take your rehabilitation seriously. Like a montage that never ends.
Noli Timere Messorem
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Yep...tibial plateau fracture. March 2nd, 2011. Plate and 7 screws.

And yeah, bust ass on the PT. But probably more important, to start: Find a good PT that you trust and can work with. I had misgivings about my PT from the start (he told me I needed to start a gluten-free diet after my surgery), but because I really wasn't in a place to shop around, I stayed with him.

I worked my ass off doing my PT exercises (If he said to do sets of 12, I did sets of 15. If he said do 2 sets, I did 3. And if he said to do the whole routine twice a day, I did it 3 times a day), but I still feel it. I've never been the same. Wear a big brace (the offensive lineman type DonJoy brace) when I sail, and have only skied 5 days since (all in the last 3 years), and forget about trying to run.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:03 pm Yep...tibial plateau fracture. March 2nd, 2011. Plate and 7 screws.

And yeah, bust ass on the PT. But probably more important, to start: Find a good PT that you trust and can work with. I had misgivings about my PT from the start (he told me I needed to start a gluten-free diet after my surgery), but because I really wasn't in a place to shop around, I stayed with him.

I worked my ass off doing my PT exercises (If he said to do sets of 12, I did sets of 15. If he said do 2 sets, I did 3. And if he said to do the whole routine twice a day, I did it 3 times a day), but I still feel it. I've never been the same. Wear a big brace (the offensive lineman type DonJoy brace) when I sail, and have only skied 5 days since (all in the last 3 years), and forget about trying to run.
That’s what I broke. The tibea plateau. Not sure why I said ‘crown’.
Noli Timere Messorem
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I’ve never had surgery save wisdom teeth removal, but just allow me to say that anyone who runs into a burning building deserves all the accolades, free drinks, and oral that comes their way and then some.
Last edited by L-Jam3 on Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Next swamp outing we’ll give you and duff some alone time.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

I will provide the drinks. I thought J-Lo was giving out the oral. He even gets paid for it now.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Yeah I got duff and Nate mixed up somehow. My bad!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

L-Jam3 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:54 pm I’ve never had surgery save wisdom teeth removal, but just allow me to say that anyone who runs into a burning building deserves all the accolades, free drinks, and oral that comes their way and then some.

Thanks. I appreciate the kind words.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

L-Jam3 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:54 pm I’ve never had surgery save wisdom teeth removal, but just allow me to say that anyone who runs into a burning building deserves all the accolades, free drinks, and oral that comes their way and then some.
Agreed
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian