2019 NCAA Hoops Offseason

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Re: 2019 NCAA Hoops Offseason

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Shirley wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:33 am The key differentiator among those is which ones became college assistants first and learned the college coaching game before becoming a head coach. I think that's critical. Coaching 18-21 year old college kids is WAY different than coaching pros. And as mentioned, recruiting is a huge part of the equation and it's way too complicated to learn on the fly.
I can't speak for Ewing, but Howard has 3 elite level sons and is reportedly very active (and respected) in the AAU circles. So, he's been around for more than 5 years with the top AAU outfits around the country. Not saying it's the same thing as doing the actual recruiting, but he's not dropping in cold to this scene.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I don't think recruiting is going to be an issue with Howard. In fact, he'll probably recruit better than Beilein, who never had a great deal of success with elite-level recruits.

The obvious and critical question is how well he can develop the players that he does recruit.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 2:09 pm I don't think recruiting is going to be an issue with Howard. In fact, he'll probably recruit better than Beilein, who never had a great deal of success with elite-level recruits.

The obvious and critical question is how well he can develop the players that he does recruit.
And by the accounts I've read, one of the reasons he rose relatively quickly within Pat Riley's org was his ability to transform and mold some of the younger players. They point to Adebayo as a guy that was one-and-done at KY and who gives Howard a lot of credit for getting NBA-ready in a relatively short period of time. (Obvious point: Adebayo is college-age due to his early departure.)

That's one example out of a number that came out in examining the hire over the last few weeks.

I get the concern over him not having HC experience and college level experience. But if you followed this mini-saga, there really weren't any truly good options left on the table. It was going to be either a ho hum hire of an existing HC or promoting Yaklich, which ticks some of the same "lack of experience" boxes.

They went after Jay Wright and a few other big names, and those guys weren't leaving. And because of the late timing, a lot of the promising options of up-and-comers were off the table.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:26 pm
tennbengal wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:16 pm ETA - there’s a helluva basketball tradition at Memphis and he’s got the #1 class next year.

Only reason it’s not “major” whatever the fuck is it isn’t in one of the sainted chosen big five conferences.
Yeah, that's what i meant, mostly. Certainly a better tradition than most SEC schools. But dang, son, calm down!
Memphis basketball is back!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Cowan will return to Maryland. Team is getting some early early top 5 love. Cowan, Ayala, Wiggins, Morsell, Lindo, Jalen Smith.

Add Chol Marial, twins Makhi and Makhel Mitchell, Donta Scott, and Hakim Hart.

Plus a solid 4 star point guard for the 2020 class.

Expectations are up...but MI State is going to be very good too.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/coll ... 361205001/

Hometown puffery, but it still is a very encouraging read. Former St. Joe's coach was named to be Howard's top assistant earlier this week.

It's gonna be very interesting if Howard starts pulling in McD's all-americans. They haven's signed one in over 15 years. The genius of Beilein vs. the recruiting potential of Howard.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

After the way Martelli went out at St. Joseph's of PA, I'm very interested to see how this works. Is he going to embrace mentoring a guy he has no prior connection to or is he going to potentially see himself as the coach in waiting if Howard flames out?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Terps get new assistant from Beilein's bench.
https://247sports.com/college/maryland/ ... 132659917/
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Apparently those assholes were looking at our top assistant (who we have no right having on our bench).
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So Pat Spencer of Loyola College is the 2 time Tewaaraton winner in lacrosse (Heisman of lacrosse). 2nd all time NCAA career leader for points. Now will be a scholarship player for Northwestern in hoops.

Apparently a very good basketball player.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.capita ... y,amp.html
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:38 pm After the way Martelli went out at St. Joseph's of PA, I'm very interested to see how this works. Is he going to embrace mentoring a guy he has no prior connection to or is he going to potentially see himself as the coach in waiting if Howard flames out?
All I can go by is this:

1) He is really saying all the right things in terms of the role he wants to play with Howard.

2) If there's even a whiff of him undercutting Howard, the administration and more importantly the fans will absolutely eviscerate him. Through all the b.s. in the wake of the Fab5 debacle, Howard is revered for his response and his public stance on the matter. The fact that he completed his degree while in the NBA just underscores/reinforces the "michigan man" myth.

With that said, I absolutely have an undercurrent of concern about Martelli, especially if M struggles next year, which, if you look at the current state of the roster, they should consider a berth in the tournament a very good season next year. Losing 3 guys to the draft might not be a big deal at some schools, but the way Beilien constructed his roster, those losses are huge.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Things from this that make me excited
1.) #1 point guard in his class has only taken a visit with the Terps (but says recruitment is open)
2.) Bino Ranson continues to be a great recruiter
3.) He said he wants to major in mechanical engineering, an academic area Maryland excels in. “They’ve got to be an educational school first,” Nix said of his deciding factors.
4.) Alaskan.....
5.) doesn't play on the sneaker circuit
https://www.testudotimes.com/maryland-t ... eon-target
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

UConn headed back to the Big East.

It's about time.
Noli Timere Messorem
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:34 pm Things from this that make me excited
1.) #1 point guard in his class has only taken a visit with the Terps (but says recruitment is open)
2.) Bino Ranson continues to be a great recruiter
3.) He said he wants to major in mechanical engineering, an academic area Maryland excels in. “They’ve got to be an educational school first,” Nix said of his deciding factors.
4.) Alaskan.....
5.) doesn't play on the sneaker circuit
https://www.testudotimes.com/maryland-t ... eon-target
A quick glance at US News shows at least 4 Big Ten teams ranked higher for mechanical engineering. I doubt that's really going to be a factor. https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-sc ... g-rankings
Totally Kafkaesque
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Well, while I wasn't paying attention over the weekend, MI picked up Franz Wagner for next year's class. That's Moe Wagner's little brother who by most accounts is an overall better player than he is. While he's not ranked, scouts say he's a high 4*, in the 30-50 best in the country.

Huge get for Juwan, because this kid was literally on a plane over here from Germany to visit Ann Arbor when Beilein skidaddled off to Cleveland. Kid is starting for one of the better pro teams in the German league as a teenager, so he's seen some shit.

Howard needed something like this to ensure next year isn't a huge slog. This kid is rated higher than Brazdeikis and unlike his brother at this age, he's already on NBA scout radars. (Moe kind of came out of nowhere and then threw shit down for 2 seasons to make his mark.)
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So Evan Mobley goes to play for Johns Hopkins Alum at USC.....oh and his dad has been on the staff their for just over a year....and his brother goes there.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:40 am So Evan Mobley goes to play for Johns Hopkins Alum at USC.....oh and his dad has been on the staff their for just over a year....and his brother goes there.
It was a crazy coincidence!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I was trying to figure out what JHU had to do with this, beyond the head coach.

*shakes fist at self for over-thinking a wlu post.*

:D
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:59 am I was trying to figure out what JHU had to do with this, beyond the head coach.

*shakes fist at self for over-thinking a wlu post.*

:D
JHU alum was easier to misspell than Andy Enfield
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Will the ceremony be in the parking lot?

“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”