2019 NBA Playoffs Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

2019 NBA Playoffs Thread

Post by Joe K »

I’ll predict Warriors over Raptors in 6 for the Finals. The Bucks have been the best team all year but I think the Raptors have been pacing themselves and have another gear they can go to for the playoffs.
tennbengal
The Dude

Re: 2019 NBA Playoffs Thread

Post by tennbengal »

I was ready to go all-in on the Sixers making the finals, but Embid's knee issue is throwing cold water on that.

Bucks over Warriors in seven.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Joe K wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:52 am I’ll predict Warriors over Raptors in 6 for the Finals. The Bucks have been the best team all year but I think the Raptors have been pacing themselves and have another gear they can go to for the playoffs.
God I hope you're right about the Raptors.

Maybe I'm still shell-shocked from last season;s playoffs, but my confidence level is way low.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Rockets over Raptors

We take out Warriors in second round.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pistons over Thunder.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Giff wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:12 am Rockets over Raptors

Let's start planning our wager!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

When does Lebron play? Oh, he's not? My wife is going to be thrilled!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:14 am

BBQ for universal health care?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Giff wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:20 am

I'm so hungry at the moment that I would probably do a Homer Simpson on that one.

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:20 am

That was good.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Lots of Friday afternoon news dumps in the NBA today.

I don’t think Lue is a good coach but at least he kept some semi-dysfunctional Cavs teams from completely melting down. Also, it sounds like the Kings are about to hire Walton.

Griffin did a really good job in Cleveland. Obviously his first order of business is figuring out an Anthony Davis trade.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

The Sixers and Raptors’ poor performances today are bound to get overanalyzed but the bottom line is that NBA basketball is largely decided by whether teams make or miss their 3s. The Sixers were 3-25, Nets were 11-26 and that’s the ballgame. And it’s a similar story in the first half with the Magic and Raptors.

Also, good for Luke Walton.

It’s crazy to say this but the Kings are probably a better situation than the Lakers right now. Fox, Hield and Bagley are well-equipped to play Walton’s style and get up and down the court.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Joe K wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:19 pm The Sixers and Raptors’ poor performances today are bound to get overanalyzed but the bottom line is that NBA basketball is largely decided by whether teams make or miss their 3s. The Sixers were 3-25, Nets were 11-26 and that’s the ballgame. And it’s a similar story in the first half with the Magic and Raptors.

Also, good for Luke Walton.

It’s crazy to say this but the Kings are probably a better situation than the Lakers right now. Fox, Hield and Bagley are well-equipped to play Walton’s style and get up and down the court.
If fox can continue to improve his jumper he will be a multiple all star.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I go 50-50 at best at the top of the draft, but Fox was a big hit for me. I loved him so much.

(Morant over Zion this year. Feels safe!)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Holy fuck, Kevin Durant is annoying.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That was probably the most Toronto playoff night ever.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Pruitt wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:01 pm That was probably the most Toronto playoff night ever.
On the one hand, we shouldn’t read too much into one game where Orlando shoots the lights out from 3.

On the other hand, Kyle Lowry ...😬
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

EdRomero wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:38 pm Holy fuck, Kevin Durant is annoying.
Durant knows he took the easy way out by signing with a 73 win team so he overcompensates by being a fake tough guy who racks up technical fouls. I can’t wait for him to leave for the Knicks so that the NBA is actually a fair fight again.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Joe K wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:31 pm
Durant knows he took the easy way out by signing with a 73 win team so he overcompensates by being a fake tough guy who racks up technical fouls. I can’t wait for him to leave for the Knicks so that the NBA is actually a fair fight again.
He knocked over a player and then taunted him hovering over him as the guy was on the ground. Granted, he did it to Beverley who instigates all the time, but I'm surprised other Clippers didn't get involved. It just felt like the beginning of an old school Knicks/Heat brawl, but it just turned into Beverley jumping up doing his fake tough guy act, and Durant playing it up for the crowd. I hope Durant has a good laugh about it as he misses an important game in a later round after being suspended for too many playoff techs.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Haters gonna hate.

Did I do that right?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

sancarlos wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:21 am Haters gonna hate.

Did I do that right?
Almost. They hate us cause they ain't us.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

EdRomero wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:12 am
Joe K wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:31 pm
He knocked over a player and then taunted him hovering over him as the guy was on the ground. Granted, he did it to Beverley who instigates all the time, but I'm surprised other Clippers didn't get involved. It just felt like the beginning of an old school Knicks/Heat brawl, but it just turned into Beverley jumping up doing his fake tough guy act, and Durant playing it up for the crowd. I hope Durant has a good laugh about it as he misses an important game in a later round after being suspended for too many playoff techs.
agree with everything except one thing...beverley isnt acting. he really is a tough guy who will fight. his spirit animal is rasheed wallace
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

An article on ESPN.com a couple days ago mentioned that during the season, the Jazz had guarded Harden with his primary defender overplaying his left side, more or less aligning himself on his hip and keeping him going to the right. They did it again last night and early in the game, Harden pushed off the defender with his left forearm when starting a drive, but not enough to merit a whistle.

If the Rockets go up 2-0, I would not be surprised in Salt Lake City for the push-off like that to become a "point of emphasis" (since it's "not a traditional defending position" or some gibberish like that) and have Harden get saddled with an offensive foul or two.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

If only the Jazz had a guard on their bench who was fully expendable and not afraid to go at the legs.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I just watched 2 seconds of the playoffs by mistake.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

The Sixers just tied a 57 year old record with a 51 point quarter in a playoff game.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

If you're just waking up and wondering how that could have happened, no it wasn't a dream. Kevin Harlan really did say "Slurp it and enjoy it" during a playoff basketball game.

https://streamable.com/zizez
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

The Cousins injury probably doesn’t hurt the Warriors much, if at all, from a basketball perspective. He had a great game against the Rockets a few weeks ago but generally they can play a faster and more versatile style without him. But it may hurt their cohesiveness, as Cousins seemed to be the guy brokering peace in their locker room, especially between KD and Draymond. The KD situation is a unique one as I can’t remember a comparable situation where the whole league assumed that the best player on a heavily-favored team already had one foot out the door. Based on polls of players and executives, EVERYONE thinks he’s going to the Knicks.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I really am only following along via twitter/reading stuff, but from what I've read, they probably are better off without him.

I hate it for Boogie, though.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Ryan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:32 am If you're just waking up and wondering how that could have happened, no it wasn't a dream. Kevin Harlan really did say "Slurp it and enjoy it" during a playoff basketball game.

https://streamable.com/zizez
He's obviously having a great time...

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Yeah, that was a virtuoso performance by Harlan last night. I watched the entire second half even though it quickly turned into a laugher because his announcing was so entertaining.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Giff wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:11 am I like potentially getting the Warriors in the second round more than the WCF.
This was posted in the regular season thread but I’m moving it here and chiming in that I agree this is good for the Rockets. They are playing at a very high level now and there’s a smaller chance of Harden or CP3 wearing down in the second round. Also, while I expect Giannis to win MVP in a surprisingly lopsided vote, Harden’s combination of volume and efficiency this year is truly mindblowing. There have been ten 35+ ppg seasons in NBA history and of those seasons, Harden’s has by far the best scoring efficiency. In fact, the gap between 1st (Harden) and 2nd (MJ) is bigger than the gap between 2nd and 8th.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

I love Joel Embiid. He was fantastic today. If I didn’t also have chronic knee tendinitis, I would donate my knees to him.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

I thought that play that started the pushing was real dirty. Yeah, his hand slapped most of the ball but his arm hit the neck upper body area hard, and it looked intentional...it didn't even look like a normal block attempt; he was okay going across the body, more like a swing than a block/steal attempt. Reggie Miller disagrees though, so I don't know.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Embiid is totally a guy you like or hate
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

EdRomero wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:05 pm I thought that play that started the pushing was real dirty. Yeah, his hand slapped most of the ball but his arm hit the neck upper body area hard, and it looked intentional...it didn't even look like a normal block attempt; he was okay going across the body, more like a swing than a block/steal attempt. Reggie Miller disagrees though, so I don't know.
Every NBA announcer loves flagrant fouls. It’s a bizarre complex they have. Embiid is a really good offensive center but he might be even more valuable on the defensive end. The Sixers’ perimeter defenders get beat all the time and he saves their asses so often. That was clearly a “no layups” foul but Dudley was by far the worst actor in the skirmish.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

A_B wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:06 pm Embiid is totally a guy you like or hate
Sometimes on the same day.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I feel like in the NBA you can get a good handle on a guy based on how many of his colleagues seem to really dislike him.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

This is a work of art:

From a sheer athleticism standpoint, Giannis is one of the most spectacular basketball players I’ve ever seen.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Yeah. That’s ridiculous. He’s a larger Dr. J.