Notre Dame

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: Notre Dame

Post by rass »

Jerloma wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:10 am I mean I'd call the archaeological artifacts. I was under the impression that history captured significant things that happened. If history is just anything that happened in the past, then yeah, you're correct. Anything from the 12 century is historical.
According to a Fox News announcer yesterday, Mary Magdelene herself brought the crown to Paris so they might be even older than suggested in this thread and you should totally work out access to twitter and I would post the clip.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

A_B wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:14 am
GoodKarma wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:05 am From the video...it looks like the prayer candles didn't burn. Talk about irony...
(Metal candle holders)
My point is that the wicks were not lit/the candles were still in tact.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

GoodKarma wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:19 am
A_B wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:14 am
GoodKarma wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:05 am From the video...it looks like the prayer candles didn't burn. Talk about irony...
(Metal candle holders)
My point is that the wicks were not lit/the candles were still in tact.
I think we may be talking about two different sets of candles, my bad.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:16 am
Jerloma wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:10 am I mean I'd call the archaeological artifacts. I was under the impression that history captured significant things that happened. If history is just anything that happened in the past, then yeah, you're correct. Anything from the 12 century is historical.
According to a Fox News announcer yesterday, Mary Magdelene herself brought the crown to Paris so they might be even older than suggested in this thread and you should totally work out access to twitter and I would post the clip.
Not to mention 300 year old Mary MAgdalene!

(Paris didn't really exist until the 3rd century, apparently)
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:26 am
rass wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:16 am
Not to mention 300 year old Mary MAgdalene!

(Paris didn't really exist until the 3rd century, apparently)
What's another miracle among friends?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

A_B wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:10 am I don't think there's even a close analog for Americans. There is no building that would cause such mourning just because of a fire. But that building is as important to France as anything, and possibly THE most culturally important building. So I get why people would want to restore it, and it's better for the money to come from private parties than the government.
Tell that to the world trade center
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

TT2.0 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:19 am
A_B wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:10 am I don't think there's even a close analog for Americans. There is no building that would cause such mourning just because of a fire. But that building is as important to France as anything, and possibly THE most culturally important building. So I get why people would want to restore it, and it's better for the money to come from private parties than the government.
That was solely because of the loss of life though. If somehow no one had died on 9/11, no one would miss the World Trade Center building.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

No Empire State Building would be weird when looking at midtown, but I'm not about to pretend its sacred.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Statue of Liberty for sure. Hell, I would have been way sadder for France if it was the Eiffel Tower.

Old stadiums are probably good American facsimilies. Like Fenway Park, if 1/6th of the planet were Red Sox fans? People would be weepily singing Tessie in the Back Bay for a month.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Not sure losing the symbol of welcoming immigrants with open arms would cause mass mourning these days.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Good point. The factory that makes Bumper Nuts then

TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

brian wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:23 am
TT2.0 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:19 am
That was solely because of the loss of life though. If somehow no one had died on 9/11, no one would miss the World Trade Center building.
i was joking.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Sorry, missed that. Since you admitted you were joking I can say there probably are dopes out there trying to compare the two though.

Actually, I didn't even see somehow -- were there any deaths because of the fire or did everyone escape?
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

brian wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:05 pm Sorry, missed that. Since you admitted you were joking I can say there probably are dopes out there trying to compare the two though.

Actually, I didn't even see somehow -- were there any deaths because of the fire or did everyone escape?
no idea....i was just hoping to troll people by calling 9-11 "just a fire"
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

The only casualty I remember hearing about was one firefighter was injured.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

TT2.0 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:07 pm
brian wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:05 pm Sorry, missed that. Since you admitted you were joking I can say there probably are dopes out there trying to compare the two though.

no idea....i was just hoping to troll people by calling 9-11 "just a fire"
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Edit

I laughed.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Does the church have insurance? If so isn't the church taking g the donations for rebuilding a bit of a shame? Also if this construction related won't the contractor be liable? Maybe on their insurance. Also if the insurance denies for act of God that would be irony right?
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:02 am Does the church have insurance? If so isn't the church taking g the donations for rebuilding a bit of a shame? Also if this construction related won't the contractor be liable? Maybe on their insurance. Also if the insurance denies for act of God that would be irony right?
Isn't the building owned by the French government?
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Decent sized protests yesterday in Paris about close to $1B donated while the government can't/won't fund welfare needs.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:35 pm
Pure projection right there, I'm guessing.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Giff wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:23 am
I had about 5 of those in my Facebook feed the other day.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:01 am
Giff wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:23 am
I had about 5 of those in my Facebook feed the other day.
My Facebook feed was full of them too. I don't think it was people using the fire to brag about the fact they've been to Paris.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Same on mine, but it can certainly be both. In truth, there's nothing wrong with sharing that you've been somewhere as long as you're not being a dick about it. We all do it.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Wait, I'm projecting some white girl shit on my social media because I want people to know I've been to Notre Dame?

I have posted exactly once on Facebook since November 8, 2016. And I posted photos of my trip to France when they happened, December 2014.

So yeah, no.

This charade has reached the Anthony Jeselnik "Don't forget about me today. Don't forget how sads I am." level because tragedy happened. Try again.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:03 pm Wait, I'm projecting some white girl shit on my social media because I want people to know I've been to Notre Dame?

I have posted exactly once on Facebook since November 8, 2016. And I posted photos of my trip to France when they happened, December 2014.

So yeah, no.

This charade has reached the Anthony Jeselnik "Don't forget about me today. Don't forget how sads I am." level because tragedy happened. Try again.
you seem stressed today my friend. It will get better. Thoughts and prayers to you bro
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:03 pm Wait, I'm projecting some white girl shit on my social media because I want people to know I've been to Notre Dame?

So yeah, no.

No, her tweet was. To me, it's just a weird and highly cynical place to go when you see people posting their pictures of a world-renowned landmark the day it caught fire and was by far the biggest story across the world. "Oooh, that person posting a pic just wants to throw it in my face they've been to France whaaa" Who the fuck thinks like that and isn't a miserable bastard?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I had no problem, at all, with people posting those kinds of pics. The ones that just put a selfie up without any comment were a little more problematic, but didn't really get my ire up.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Oh, my bad. Work sucks (yes, I'm stressed). And sometimes sentences don't translate well. Sorry.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

This is an interesting idea to think on. History isn’t really about the actual factual events. Even more so for ancient history. It’s imossible to have a true factual record of anything. Even modern events you can take three keen observers and have three significantly different interpretations of said event. This is why history is part of the arts/social studies departments in colleges.

History is actually largely about the social aspects of those events, and how they shaped the lives and cultures of those around them. So even if you don’t believe in a magic book and think those thorns are just pieces of old desiccated weeds, the mere fact that they have been venerated and protected as real relics by millions of others through those centuries make them by definition priceless historical artifacts. Those relics have shaped the culture of those around them. Items like that, if considered ‘real’ by the ecumenical authorities, were majorly significant culture signposts for centuries. People would pilgrimage from across all of Christendom to see them. Again, even if that’s nonsense to you it wasn’t to them. And those pilgrimages created huge social and economic currents that helped make places like Paris significant. And this helped them grow to become major cities.

Understanding that is understanding history. And it makes those things significant.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

bob: tl; Dr

Fuck off jerloma.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Is George Washington chopping down a cherry tree a historical event?

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Ryan wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:16 am Is George Washington chopping down a cherry tree a historical event?
No. The story as a part of the mythos that built around the real person of Washington, yes.
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

I sympathize with the General having to deal with Architects on a daily basis.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... -his-mouth
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Not a good year for Notre Dame(s).

Sellout streak to end at 273 games.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

That's pretty remarkable, given how well Navy is doing this year.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Pretty good news if you’re a fan of Catholic cathedrals, Gothic architecture, France, or even just impressive cultural stuff:

Very cool detail: the Gallic rooster is a symbol of France (think the bald eagle for us), and when the built the original spire, it had a rooster on top. Now it’s a Gallic rooster with its wings spread to emulate a phoenix for its rebirth.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

What I remember from that day was that rich people were generously donating huge sums of money to get it fixed as opposed to doing actual things that mattered.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Counterpoint: if there was damage to a global cultural treasure such as the Great Wall or Angkor Wat or the Great Pyramid or the Sydney Opera House due to a disaster, rich people spending their money to repair it IS doing something that matters.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Would it be “better” if rich people gave their money to food banks or wind farms or something like that? Depending on where you place your values, than sure, maybe. But people spending their own money, fairly-gotten or ill-gotten, to the benefit of others is a good. And one maxim I live by is don’t make perfect the enemy of the good.