Swamp Cooking Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:26 pm This recipe from this book is simple as hell and great. Use half as marinade, half as sauce and you're set.
Spiedies! Are you baiting me with this recipe? I almost responded with something similar when Sancarlos mentioned Greek dressing. Spiedies are the best thing to come out of Binghamton other than me. I've followed a couple recipes for homemade, but nothing comes close. I'll try this recipe out some day, I still have several bottles of marinade my parents brought down. Hell, even marinades from my favorite restaurant aren't quite the same.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Thanks guys! I have a store-bought schwarma marinade I'm going to use this weekend. But will try the suggestions soon.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

This stuff works pretty well - there's definitely a sweet spot in length of marinating, somewhere between 24-48 hrs.

https://shop.spiedie.com/statefairchickensauce-2.aspx
The Sybian wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:47 pm
mister d wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:26 pm This recipe from this book is simple as hell and great. Use half as marinade, half as sauce and you're set.
Spiedies! Are you baiting me with this recipe? I almost responded with something similar when Sancarlos mentioned Greek dressing. Spiedies are the best thing to come out of Binghamton other than me. I've followed a couple recipes for homemade, but nothing comes close. I'll try this recipe out some day, I still have several bottles of marinade my parents brought down. Hell, even marinades from my favorite restaurant aren't quite the same.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, I can't vouch for any authenticity because I've never had a real one, but that's a great marinade esp if you're going to use charcoal.

(Its weird cooking things you haven't had before and wondering how close it is to the real versions.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

funny, i grew up in WNY and had never even heard of them before I moved back 3 yrs ago. My HS best friend does (did) a lot of business traveling downstate and when we were looking at colleges he said we had to eat lunch at the Spiedie & Rib Pit in Binghamton.

man i'm hungry.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

That is one of two big brands. I think they only make marinade. The other, my personal favorite is Lupo's. They have (had?) a couple locations and then started bottling their marinade. My parents will bring packaged bags from Lupo's with marinating meat. Now I'm hungry, and my grill is buried. Mr. D is correct, much better over charcoal, but I'm lazy and use propane. It truly amazes me how small a radius spiedies stayed in. Like within a 30 minute radius, yet I've met people from all over the country who ask about spiedies if I tell them where I'm from. I've heard a Binghamton ex-pat opened a spiedie place in Raleigh, and my sister said there is another ex-Bingo selling spiedies in the Atlanta 'burbs. A quick Google search only turns up a food truck based in Suwanee.

ETA: Complete forgot, Spiedie and Rib Pit opened a second location in my hometown long after I left. I think they are even better than Lupo's. Completely forgot I went there when I visited my parents 10 or so years ago. The new location is really close to the SUNY Binghamton campus.

MaxWebster wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:45 am This stuff works pretty well - there's definitely a sweet spot in length of marinating, somewhere between 24-48 hrs.

-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:09 am That is one of two big brands. I think they only make marinade. The other, my personal favorite is Lupo's. They have (had?) a couple locations and then started bottling their marinade. My parents will bring packaged bags from Lupo's with marinating meat. Now I'm hungry, and my grill is buried. Mr. D is correct, much better over charcoal, but I'm lazy and use propane. It truly amazes me how small a radius spiedies stayed in. Like within a 30 minute radius, yet I've met people from all over the country who ask about spiedies if I tell them where I'm from. I've heard a Binghamton ex-pat opened a spiedie place in Raleigh, and my sister said there is another ex-Bingo selling spiedies in the Atlanta 'burbs. A quick Google search only turns up a food truck based in Suwanee.

ETA: Complete forgot, Spiedie and Rib Pit opened a second location in my hometown long after I left. I think they are even better than Lupo's. Completely forgot I went there when I visited my parents 10 or so years ago. The new location is really close to the SUNY Binghamton campus.

MaxWebster wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:45 am This stuff works pretty well - there's definitely a sweet spot in length of marinating, somewhere between 24-48 hrs.

Syb, we have rules around here. Max is grandfathered in but we can't have everyone doing abovequotes. That's his thing.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

y i think i've used charcoal like 3x in my life, not that i don't think it's tasty just don't make the time for it.

i will make a note of Lupo's - i'll look for it. Wegmans has to have it, right?? :)
The Sybian wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:09 am That is one of two big brands. I think they only make marinade. The other, my personal favorite is Lupo's. They have (had?) a couple locations and then started bottling their marinade. My parents will bring packaged bags from Lupo's with marinating meat. Now I'm hungry, and my grill is buried. Mr. D is correct, much better over charcoal, but I'm lazy and use propane. It truly amazes me how small a radius spiedies stayed in. Like within a 30 minute radius, yet I've met people from all over the country who ask about spiedies if I tell them where I'm from. I've heard a Binghamton ex-pat opened a spiedie place in Raleigh, and my sister said there is another ex-Bingo selling spiedies in the Atlanta 'burbs. A quick Google search only turns up a food truck based in Suwanee.

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I think so. Haven't been to a Wegmans in over a year, but I'm pretty sure they used to have it. And if they carried it in NJ, they definitely carry it in Buffalo.
MaxWebster wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:32 am y i think i've used charcoal like 3x in my life, not that i don't think it's tasty just don't make the time for it.

i will make a note of Lupo's - i'll look for it. Wegmans has to have it, right?? :)

-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I was in a Zoom 'all hands' meeting this morning, so I made this NY Times recipe for the 'Best Scrambled Eggs': Extra-Creamy Scrambled Eggs from J. Kenji López-Alt.

The result: well, yeah, they were really good, and super smooth and creamy, but my good...4 tablespoons of butter? I don't think I'll be making them very often.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:37 am 4 tablespoons of butter?
Was the recipe for 12 servings?

That's a good reminder, I used to go on the treadmill to watch all hands meetings. Not sure why that hasn't occurred to me since moving.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I suppose I could post this in the Television thread but I’ll note it here.

The wife and I have been watching Stanley Tucci: Searching for Italy on PBS. He travels around Italy, sampling local and regional specialty cuisines, and discussing the history behind them. My wife is super into it, as Stanley Tucci is among her favorite actors, and she’s also a great cook. Last night she tried to replicate a pasta dish from the show that included fried zucchini, butter and lots of pecorino. It was great alongside the fire-roasted pepper-marinated pork tenderloin I grilled and a nice bottle of zinfandel.
Last edited by sancarlos on Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:12 am
4 eggs. 4 tbsp of butter.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sometime ya gotta live a bit and go for the butter. Not so healthy but it sure tastes good.
(Referring to both DiS’s and my posts.)
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:41 pm
The Sybian wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:12 am
4 eggs. 4 tbsp of butter.
Jesus I love my some J Kenji but that's a lot of butter.

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

2 tbsp of butter for 4 eggs is decadent.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:44 pm Sometime ya gotta live a bit and go for the butter. Not so healthy but it sure tastes good.
Yep. Life's too short to worry about eating butter.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Sabo wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:16 pm
sancarlos wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:44 pm Sometime ya gotta live a bit and go for the butter. Not so healthy but it sure tastes good.
Don't get me wrong I only use full fat, grass fed butter or olive oil as cooking fats, but 4 tbsp is a fuckton for 4 eggs.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

A while back, my GF was making chocolate chip cookies using the classic recipe on the back of the chocolate chip package. Somehow she forgot to put in the second stick of butter.

And they taste just fine. So that's how we make those cookies now...half the butter.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:37 pm I suppose I could post this in the Television thread but I’ll note it here.

The wife and I have been watching Stanley Tucci: Searching for Italy on PBS. He travels around Italy, sampling local and regional specialty cuisines, and discussing the history behind them. My wife is super into it, as Stanley Tucci is among her favorite actors, and she’s also a great cook. Last night she tried to replicate a pasta dish from the show that included fried zucchini, butter and lots of pecorino. It was great alongside the fire-roasted pepper-marinated pork tenderloin I grilled and a nice bottle of zinfandel.
We started watching that too. We're scheduled to go to the Amalfi coast in September (was supposed to be April of last year). You're talking about the one from the first episode near Naples, right?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:31 pm
A while back, my GF was making chocolate chip cookies using the classic recipe on the back of the chocolate chip package. Somehow she forgot to put in the second stick of butter.

And they taste just fine. So that's how we make those cookies now...half the butter.
The texture is probably drier, but I'd think they would taste the same.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:19 pm
Don't get me wrong I only use full fat, grass fed butter or olive oil as cooking fats, but 4 tbsp is a fuckton for 4 eggs.
It is.

Coconut oil is a good one to use, too.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:34 pm
sancarlos wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:37 pm I suppose I could post this in the Television thread but I’ll note it here.

We started watching that too. We're scheduled to go to the Amalfi coast in September (was supposed to be April of last year). You're talking about the one from the first episode near Naples, right?
We’ve watched three episodes I think. Not sure which one had the dish she made.

The Amalfi coast looks gorgeous. Looks like a great place to visit.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:19 pm
Sounds like one of those "this is why they're better in restaurants" recipes.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

Boiling brusselsprouts/brocolli/asparagus has gotten a bad rap from people who don't salt the water and then over cook them. That's my hot take for the day.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

blundercrush wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:27 pm Boiling brusselsprouts/brocolli/asparagus has gotten a bad rap from people who don't salt the water and then over cook them. That's my hot take for the day.
It's just so much easier to toss them lightly in olive oil and throw them in a baking dish or on the grill to get a little char. BUT...you're right in that if you don't over cook them boiling is OK. It's just bringing back bad memories of how mom used to overdo it.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Big fan of parboiling brussies prior to grilling/sauteeing/roasting
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:33 pm
blundercrush wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:27 pm Boiling brusselsprouts/brocolli/asparagus has gotten a bad rap from people who don't salt the water and then over cook them. That's my hot take for the day.
It's just so much easier to toss them lightly in olive oil and throw them in a baking dish or on the grill to get a little char. BUT...you're right in that if you don't over cook them boiling is OK. It's just bringing back bad memories of how mom used to overdo it.
Over doing it does absolutely ruin them, but I think the same thing about steak too.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Doing a 24 hour corned beef sous vide after a four day dry brine. Its something that, if it comes out good, will sound like a lot more effort than it really was.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Made a nice bread full of different kinds of seeds yesterday. But right after I kneaded the dough, I realized I’d forgotten to add the salt.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:23 pm Doing a 24 hour corned beef sous vide after a four day dry brine. Its something that, if it comes out good, will sound like a lot more effort than it really was.
Oooooh. Let me know that goes. Corned beef gonna be cheap Thursday.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Some steaks in the sous vide. Let’s see if the perfect record holds up.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

A_B wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:38 pm Some steaks in the sous vide. Let’s see if the perfect record holds up.
Still perfect.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

elflaco2 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:53 am Made a fresh batch this past sunday-- bit different ingredients (added pineapple to balance out the ghost pepppers.. not so many habaneros in this one), but sill plenty hot. Have plenty to ship out -- Jam too --

once these are gone, won't be making any new batches until after we move -- and i laid down some new plants. good chance i'll be making it in a commercial kitchen next time.

so place your orders!
will be putting down new pepper plants this weekend (in between soccer games and shot#2) -- anyone interested in jam or sauce? have some left in the fridge. PM me your orders!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Ground my own burger tonight. Chick roast and a sirloin combination. Turned out amazing.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I made just about the worst dinner I can remember making tonight. We've been trying to do the Meatless Monday thing since the New Year, and I did a NYTimes cooking recipe for roasted tofu in a peanut/lime glaze, with coconut lime rice.

And it didn't work at all. The sauce/glaze was too thick, and didn't 'run' and coat the tofu at all.

The rice was good though.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I'm convinced the meat industry backs tofu to keep people from becoming vegetarian.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

P.D.X. wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:04 am I'm convinced the meat industry backs tofu to keep people from becoming vegetarian.
I am generally not a tofu guy, but I've had pretty good luck doing really veg-forward stir-fries with some tofu in them for the protein. I always get the extra-firm, and then press it all afternoon.

Didn't work this time. I offered to pay for a pizza, but we choked it down.

Here's the recipe in question: Baked Tofu With Peanut Sauce and Coconut-Lime Rice
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:53 am
P.D.X. wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:04 am I'm convinced the meat industry backs tofu to keep people from becoming vegetarian.
I am generally not a tofu guy, but I've had pretty good luck doing really veg-forward stir-fries with some tofu in them for the protein. I always get the extra-firm, and then press it all afternoon.

Didn't work this time. I offered to pay for a pizza, but we choked it down.

Here's the recipe in question: Baked Tofu With Peanut Sauce and Coconut-Lime Rice
Tofu can be great but I've never seen it baked. I'm an extra firm, press it all day and then pan sear/stir fry it with a little marinade before.

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:33 pm
My mom HATED vegetables when she was growing up. Then she went to college and tried them again. Not surprisingly, even a university cafateria beg tastes better thanthe overboiled and sugared veg that my grandmother made.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?