Swamp Cooking Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Rush2112
The Dude

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by Rush2112 »

And Subway selling the hell out of their Siracha subs...great idea guys.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Monkfish is recommended. 13 bucks for 3 double fillets. Makes me look a much better cook than I am.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The pot roast has been in the over for almost two hours. Man does my house smell good right now.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Making braciole for the first time. Hopefully it tastes as good as it smells.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Nice. Anyone else's house smell like roasted cow?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I've got an Elk pot roast in, so mine smells like wild Colorado cow.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The wife made some chicken and dumplings last night that were fantastic.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I challenge anyone to a grilled cheese off. I will take all comers.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

Made turkey noodle soup yesterday. Best lunch leftovers ever...
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Need to eat?

Take a dump!

https://www.buydumpcakes.com/

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

It's a natural menu item for Modern Toilet Restaurant http://www.moderntoilet.com.tw/en/about.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

devilfluff wrote:Made turkey noodle soup yesterday. Best lunch leftovers ever...
I made gumbo on Sunday afternoon. I did chicken, andouille, oysters and shrimp, but I think the real key was that I used a stock I made from a bunch of crab, shrimp and mussel shells that I had left over after making cioppino on Christmas eve. That and I stirred the roux for almost an hour while watching the Packer-Niners game. Stuff was really damn good, and every one at my new job looked jealous as I heated it up in the microwave.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I usually make chili for the Super Bowl and this year I am thinking of trying something new. Last time I made chili I was out of my usual habanero sauce I include, so I used Sriracha. It came out great and I realized that it would have been even better with some lime and Thai Basil. So I am going to try a blend of typical chili flavors mixed with Thai ingredients. Yesterday I hit up a large Asian grocery store. I picked up Thai chili peppers and some sort of small red peppers that look a bit like red serranos. I have found pictures of them, but can't find a name other than "small red chili peppers." I think I have narrowed them down to coming from Vietnam. I'd like to know what I am dealing with heat wise, as the package came with about 100 of the peppers. They are really small, maybe 2 or 3 inches each and very thin. I always over estimate the number of peppers, and with that many in the package, I'm sure to over do it. I also plan on using some Chinese 5-spice powder instead of cinnamon. I think that will add a really nice touch. The fennel and cloves will be a great fit. I am thinking a bit of lime juice or kaffir lime leaves and Thai basil, but I haven't tracked down the basil yet. And of course, Sriracha. I plan on using ground pork. I like using some kielbasa, but I don't think that will work with these flavors.

So I throw this out to the Swamp gourmands for some advice, any suggestions for ingredients or just think this sounds like a train wreck?

I still plan on using a tomato base and traditional chili seasonings, along with garlic and possibly ginger. Going to skip the beans. And I know it is sacrilege to everyone outside of Ohio, but I like serving chili on spaghetti or fettuccine. I bought some fresh noodles called wonton noodles, but they are cut long and flat, similar to fettuccine. I also got some rice sticks (clear, long, thin noodles made of rice flour) for the leftovers. I think they may be too thin and fragile, though.
-Pruitt
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I have no advice for you with all of the Asian spices and peppers, but I will say I typically use a pound of ground beef, a pound of sweet Italian sausage and a pound of either ground pork or veal for my chili meat. The Italian sausage adds a lot of flavor to the meat part of chili.

In my book, omitting beans from chili is heresy. But what do I know, I'm an Ohioan who doesn't put chili over pasta. (If I ever eat at Skyline or Gold Star, I get cheese coneys instead of 3-, 4-, or 5-ways.)

ETA: Thanks for your post, Syb. Now I'm going to bust out my chili recipe and make a pot of it on Sunday.

Hehehe, pot.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I always throw in some beans 5 minutes before taking the pot off the stove, but I just don't think it will work. I'll have some on hand just in case.
-Pruitt
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Size of golf tees or so, right?

Taste one.

Go easy on the Thai Basil. As with lemongrass, a tiny touch is wonderful but even a slightly bit too much will overwhelm. And that goes for the Italian Sausage, too. Mixing meats is a good thing, of course, but you're better off mixing two or more types of ground meat as opposed to something "flavored". I never use anything pre-flavored (like store bought Italian Sausage, which is great, I love it, too, but not in this case) when making a multiple ingredient dish. The added ingredients in the Italian Sausage are going to conflict with the set ingredients of your chili recipe. And you don't need those unpronounceable chemicals.

So if you're making hamburgers, Italian Sausage and ground beef (or bison) is a great combination. Chili? Not so much. Even though we crank up the spices in chili, remember that the beef taste is still the centerpiece.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Scottie wrote:Size of golf tees or so, right?

Taste one.

Go easy on the Thai Basil. As with lemongrass, a tiny touch is wonderful but even a slightly bit too much will overwhelm. And that goes for the Italian Sausage, too. Mixing meats is a good thing, of course, but you're better off mixing two or more types of ground meat as opposed to something "flavored". I never use anything pre-flavored (like store bought Italian Sausage, which is great, I love it, too, but not in this case) when making a multiple ingredient dish. The added ingredients in the Italian Sausage are going to conflict with the set ingredients of your chili recipe. And you don't need those unpronounceable chemicals.

So if you're making hamburgers, Italian Sausage and ground beef (or bison) is a great combination. Chili? Not so much. Even though we crank up the spices in chili, remember that the beef taste is still the centerpiece.
Golf tee sized is a good description. With stems almost as long as the peppers. They look like they'd be hot as hell, which is why I wish they sold them bulk, rather than wrapped on a styrofoam plate like ground beef. I think I am just going to freeze the ones I don't use. I was tempted to buy lemongrass at the market, but I've never used it before, so figured I'd hold off.

Completely agree on the sausage. Italian seasonings can throw off the chili. I either use kielbasa, as I think the flavor enhances the chili, or an unseasoned sausage.
-Pruitt
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Yeah, those. They're hot. But they aren't unpronounceable Guatemalan hot. Very common in Asian grocery stores.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

When I lived in New Hampshire I bought some of those bastards at a farm stand. They didn't make a coyote talk but still hot as hell.
Last edited by Rush2112 on Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Wrap asparagus in bacon. Season with salt and pepper. Cook it. So fucking good.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Johnnie wrote:Wrap asparagus in bacon. Season with salt and pepper. Cook it. So fucking good.
We do that with green beans and add some brown sugar to it.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Hmmm...I bought two bundles of asparagus and two packs of bacon. I have some brown sugar in the cupboard. This is going to happen tomorrow with my sweet potato hash.

1 large Sweet potato peeled and chopped up
1 medium onion, diced
1 lb of sausage (I use Johnsonville Andouille because it's delicious)
1 apple (something tart)

Cook down the onion. Add the sweet potato and cook until soft. Chop up the sausage and cook in a separate pan, drain the oil when you are ready to add to the onions and sweet potato. Then dice up the apple and add very last once everything is done. The heat will soften them up enough.

For a combined total of something like 4 and a half bucks I get three ginormous meals.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

Asparagus & brussel sprouts are awesome.

Toss em in a little oil, crushed pepper, salt & pepper. Roast on 400 or 450 until carmelized(asparagus takes maybe 20 mins, sprouts are longer like 45).

Easiest sides ever.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The brown sugar added an excellent element. Thanks for the advice.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Johnnie wrote:The brown sugar added an excellent element. Thanks for the advice.
Nice.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Giff wrote:
Johnnie wrote:The brown sugar added an excellent element. Thanks for the advice.
Nice.
Johnnie's no school boy
But he knows what he likes
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Happy St. Pat's!

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Got a Sous-vide machine(?) for a house warming gift. I highly recommend getting one. Met is so damn tender. Salivating over the elk steaks I am about slide into it for this evening.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Those bottom two guys are ghost peppers from my parents' garden. Wanna try them, could just go chili and separate out a portion for GP experimentation, but any other advice on what to try them out with?
TheHumanComa
Brandt

Post by TheHumanComa »

Just helped a cook friend of mine do a pop up kitchen at a local brewery for the second time. Today's menu? Mexican Street corn - bbq'd corn with corn cream, lime and pepper mayo, crushed tortillas, sliced pickled radishes, cilantro and lime.

Tacos - 3 kinds

Pig face al pastor
beef heart chorizo
and sour orange chicken

Plus watermelon gazpacho.

The grossest part was tearing apart those pig heads. I had five pig head boiling/steaming at my place over night and had to tear off their faces this morning... so gross, I tried every taco but that one. It was the most popular one, but the customers didn't have to rip apart a pig skull with their hands! Every time someone told me how good they were, i pictured my finger slipping through it's slimy eye socket.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The customer?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

THC, you are one hell of a friend.
-Pruitt
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

rass wrote:Image

Those bottom two guys are ghost peppers from my parents' garden. Wanna try them, could just go chili and separate out a portion for GP experimentation, but any other advice on what to try them out with?
Left is definitely a ghost, right looks a lot more like a red habanero...
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

devilfluff wrote:Left is definitely a ghost, right looks a lot more like a red habanero...
Might just be oddly shaped. My dad only grew one, so he grabbed those both off the same plant. They're definitely bigger (and uglier) that your standard habanero.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

All the ghosts off my plant look like the one on the left. That bulbous, wrinkled look is classic hab...

Maybe it's just an oddball...
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I'll make sure to eat that one first!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Gnocchi tonight. I've made it once before, mediocre, and was wondering if any I-talians had tips or tricks.

(I make pasta pretty regularly, which I'm pretty sure is hurting as much as its helping.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:Gnocchi tonight. I've made it once before, mediocre, and was wondering if any I-talians had tips or tricks.

(I make pasta pretty regularly, which I'm pretty sure is hurting as much as its helping.)
I made it a couple of times, but it didn't have much taste without sauce. It is really fun to put on the fork marks, though.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Roast chicken (easy Thomas Keller recipe) with a little pan gravy, braised collards and buttermilk biscuits. Southern food is the best forever.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

Making turkey and dumplings.